• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Account Linking Reversal

Paltheos

While this was ultimately a pretty small requirement (... well, except for the people who literally couldn't fulfill it), it was still a little scummy for everyone else. I'm glad PC gamers won.

XXL

8p59bt.jpg

DonkeyPunchJr

Worldā€™s Biggest Weeb
Imagine if the roles were reversed. If there were some super popular live service game on PS5 and, months after release, they forced you to create a Steam account to continue playing. And gamers in dozens of countries lost access to the game they bought because Steam isnā€™t available there.

SonyGAF would absolutely be crying their eyes out about it. Anybody who says PC gamers are ā€œwhiny-ass bitchesā€ can safely be put on your ignore list because they just outed themselves as a mindless fanboy. You know these people are the same ones who would scream the loudest if any other company tried to pull the same thing on their platform of choice.

lifa-cobex

Remember when MS was trying to stop game sharing and re selling of old games.
Remember how everyone laughed at them and called it BS. Even Sony had a jab at it.

PC players had no dog in that fight and they laughed too.

Stop being salty.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
These PC players sound like cocky little bitches. They think the whole gaming community revolves around them.
I've seen similar posts like this over the last few days, and it's honestly quite pathetic. Not even sure if you're being sarcastic or if this is a genuine opinion you hold. There is no doubt in my mind that if Playstation and Xbox had the same community infrastructure in place that Steam does, there'd be just as many games getting review bombed if not more. It's easy to sit there and make this some sort of platform issue, but gamers are all cut from the same cloth. It's not like there was outrage just the other week from Playstation consumers regarding Stellar Blade's outfit censorship.

Denton

So, next time, Sony will require it day 1 (as was intended for HD2 as well as per Arrowhead themselves).
And people can vote with their wallets (and twitter accounts). And if there is enough monetary and vocalized backlash, Sony might again reconsider, or not. But it would be very different from HD2 situation where people got the rug pulled out from under them months after the fact.

Also, holy fuck, this thread makes console fanboys seem even more pathetic than usual. A sight to behold.

GHound

I've seen similar posts like this over the last few days, and it's honestly quite pathetic. Not even sure if you're being sarcastic or if this is a genuine opinion you hold. There is no doubt in my mind that if Playstation and Xbox had the same community infrastructure in place that Steam does, there'd be just as many games getting review bombed if not more. It's easy to sit there and make this some sort of platform issue, but gamers are all cut from the same cloth. It's not like there was outrage just the other week from Playstation consumers regarding Stellar Blade's outfit censorship.
A lot of overlap between the people screeching about some PC gamers not wanting to accept this and the people screeching about some PS gamers not wanting to accept that.
Weird.

Last edited:

Three

Imagine if the roles were reversed. If there were some super popular live service game on PS5 and, months after release, they forced you to create a Steam account to continue playing. And gamers in dozens of countries lost access to the game they bought because Steam isnā€™t available there.

SonyGAF would absolutely be crying their eyes out about it.
No they won't because this literally happened with Rocket League when it required an Epic account. There was nobody crying their eyes out. The part that didn't happen is the part about dozens. Though a few did with Rocket League too. I suspect those crying their eyes out aren't even from there though. It's mostly the people who watch English speaking influencers/youtubers.

rofif

Banned

SonyGAF would absolutely be crying their eyes out about it. Anybody who says PC gamers are ā€œwhiny-ass bitchesā€ can safely be put on your ignore list because they just outed themselves as a mindless fanboy. You know these people are the same ones who would scream the loudest if any other company tried to pull the same thing on their platform of choice.
You are mistaking something.
The whine campaign was not for China players and other countries without psn.
It was mostly whiny pc gamers annoyed to have to create psn account in countries where they can do it. These guys are the loudest and most obnoxious.
I wouldnā€™t say they were defending the poor players from other countries. That was discovered a bit later.

Those who would lose access to the game are another topic and another mistake. They would either get a refund or not have psn required. Simple as that.

XXL

How often people identify with a specific platform and speak as a monolith is kind of disturbing.

A bunch of us own and play on many different platforms, because we love software, not the fucking platform.

Some of you are really weird and waaay too invested in your platform of choice.
Sorry to break it to you, but none of them are perfect.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So were HD2 from day one but whatever. Have fun.

You know full well that despite having the 'mandatory' tag pre-launch, they still continued to sell the game for 3, 4 months without requiring any linking. In many regions where PSN isn't even officially supported.

The fact that there was push-back when they decided to force it on everyone should be the least surprising thing and I'm legitimately curious as to why multiple people keep defending this argument.

BNnFv5T.jpeg

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You know full well that despite having the 'mandatory' tag pre-launch, they still continued to sell the game for 3, 4 months without requiring any linking. In many regions where PSN isn't even officially supported.

The fact that there was push-back when they decided to force it on everyone should be the least surprising thing and I'm legitimately curious as to why multiple people keep defending this argument.
Nobody is defending anything. It just isn't a big deal.

But still, PC gamers claim some kind of W.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Lord Of The Rings GIF by Maudit

You're trying to be reasonable and explain empathy to folk that think...
-PC players should have a PSN account for no reason other than to make Sony look good.
-Submitting your data to a company that has a spotty track record of keeping it safe.
-That locked over 100 country's out from playing the game even if they had already purchased and played it.

You're wasting your time.

What's funny to me is. No one single post out of all these threads made about this situation to explain why it's a good idea to have a PSN account.
It's just been salt. Even if it doesn't effect them in the slightest. Folk are still grumpy about it.

It comes off to me as.
(well if i have to eat shit. Then so do you.)
(What do you mean you don't have to eat shit!?)
(That's not fair)

You fuck. Just wait until MS is in the headlines again.

Three

The terms were clear from day 1.
So were HD2 from day one
You know full well that despite having the 'mandatory' tag pre-launch day one
Why do you disingenuously call it prelaunch and not day one? the tag and requirement on boot was there from day one and continues to be there right up to now. Therefore "the terms" were there day 1, as much as you like to argue they weren't and you were bamboozled.

DonkeyPunchJr

Worldā€™s Biggest Weeb
Lord Of The Rings GIF by Maudit

You're trying to be reasonable and explain empathy to folk that think...
-PC players should have a PSN account for no reason other than to make Sony look good.
-Submitting your data to a company that has a spotty track record of keeping it safe.
-That locked over 100 country's out from playing the game even if they had already purchased and played it.

You're wasting your time.

What's funny to me is. No one single post out of all these threads made about this situation to explain why it's a good idea to have a PSN account.
It's just been salt. Even if it doesn't effect them in the slightest. Folk are still grumpy about it.

It comes off to me as.
(well if i have to eat shit. Then so do you.)
(What do you mean you don't have to eat shit!?)
(That's not fair)
Thatā€™s exactly what it is. Sony fanboys taking some pleasure from seeing Sony smack those smug PC gamers around a bit and watching them cry. Now feeling crestfallen when Sony backed down in the face of overwhelming backlash.

Mr Moose

You know full well that despite having the 'mandatory' tag pre-launch, they still continued to sell the game for 3, 4 months without requiring any linking.
It was the devs that disabled it after launch day so people could play. What should've taken a few hours or a day or two took 3+ months to fix. Not sure if that's on the devs or Sony, probably a bit of both.
In many regions where PSN isn't even officially supported.
They need a permanent fix in place for this. What works on their own store doesn't work on other stores.

Topher

Gold Member
It was the devs that disabled it after launch day so people could play. What should've taken a few hours or a day or two took 3+ months to fix. Not sure if that's on the devs or Sony, probably a bit of both.
They need a permanent fix in place for this. What works on their own store doesn't work on other stores.

I think those are the two biggest issues that caused this shitstorm. The back and forth on account requirements and the ensuing confusion it caused coupled with the lack of PSN availability in countries the game was sold. I know folks keep trying to point to other examples, but there was a number of things that led up to this that are fairly unique about the situation.

Think Sony probably learned some valuable lessons about all this.

BlackTron

So, next time, Sony will require it day 1 (as was intended for HD2 as well as per Arrowhead themselves).

So all the PC fanatics cheering are cheering over nothing.

I think it is a victory, just not the one everyone thinks...it's a win for complaining over a game-breaking change, being taken as a win for complaining over your distaste/preference for external launchers and logins. Big difference...Sony pretty much needs to act over a game-breaking scenario, but people pretend it's really about Sony bending to their simple preference against having to use another login. Sorry, but that isn't exactly what happened lol.

This timeline is interesting because if they kept the requirement from day one without needing to temporarily lift it. They may never have realized how many sales they would have had the opportunity to make in other countries, which they currently see being refunded. Those people would simply have never bought the game and Sony would have marched on releasing games that require extra login like so many other publishers without any tangible crisis. People would complain about the same as other launchers, just grumbling.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why do you disingenuously call it prelaunch and not day one? the tag and requirement on boot was there from day one and continues to be there right up to now. Therefore "the terms" were there day 1, as much as you like to argue they weren't and you were bamboozled.

You missed my point, when I say pre-launch, it means they were advertising it all the way up to it.

But then for xyz reason (server load etc) they removed it from the game and continued to sell it without the requirement.

The original decision was probably requested by the developers to lessen server load but you gotta imagine it went through multiple chains of approval before implementing.

I think they're going to make sure Tsushima launches with it day 1, and it being primarily a single player game with an optional (and not nearly as popular as HD2 MP component) means it'll cause less strain there.

Lupin25

The whole gaming community does revolve around the players lol.

Who, PC Players?

If thatā€™s the MO, that is exactly why people donā€™t come to this site lol.

I get both sides, Sony shouldnā€™t have tried to enforce this months after.

On the other hand, PC players register for accounts from 3rd party platforms every day. This is the only ā€œoneā€ you donā€™t have to deal with, because Sony didnā€™t solve the problem day one.

Probably a side effect from publishing a game to PC day and date for the first time. Silly mistake on Sonyā€™s part.

Doesn't matter if the deal was big or small.

Sony tried to force their data collecting shit on a game that works without PSN. People complained, loudly, and Sony had to pull back.

Does it make those who complained "whiny-ass bitches"? No, they are just consumers with common sense and a bit of self-respect. You don't have to bend over everytime a company tells you to do so.

You guys are absurd.

Signing up for a PSN account to play a game made by Playstion isn't "bending over to corporate demands". It's simply complying with a reasonable requirement. Again, if you don't like it, you're free to not play the game, but crying about a reasonable requirement is being a whiny ass bitch.

Sony wasn't asking you to pay an annual fee. Only asking you to log-on to a website and spending 4 minutes to sign up for an account.

I had to sign up for a Ubisoft account on PS4 to play Assassin's Creed. I didn't bitch and moan about it, because it took me 2 minutes to complete. Regardless of Ubisoft's reasons, it was a reasonable requirement for me to play their game.

Trying to pretend it was anything more, when there are far far far more egregious shit imposed on gamers today is really some absurd BS. I can't take you guys seriously when you exaggerate something so fucking benign.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's simply complying with a reasonable requirement.
Reasonable how? Is it reasonable to make PSN mandatory when it has been proved for months that the game works perfectly fine without linking shit to PSN?

Dude, you do whatever you want with your data. People have the right to complain when asked about unreasonable requirements such as this one.

Gaiff

SBIā€™s Resident Gaslighter
Who, PC Players?
Within this context, yes? The context of the discussion is Helldivers 2 on PC. The gaming community of Helldivers 2 on PC revolves around the PC players.
If thatā€™s the MO, that is exactly why people donā€™t come to this site lol.

I get both sides, Sony shouldnā€™t have tried to enforce this months after.

On the other hand, PC players register for accounts from 3rd party platforms every day. This is the only ā€œoneā€ you donā€™t have to deal with, because Sony didnā€™t solve the problem day one.

Probably a side effect from publishing a game to PC day and date for the first time. Silly mistake on Sonyā€™s part.
It was a thing of beauty seeing all those players united behind a common goal. I've almost never seen something so well organized and executed. The very nature of the game attracts people who like helping each other and playing on the same side. Little did Sony know that they would all unite against them.

Hats off to the Helldivers II PC community. Democracy prevailed.

Last edited:

feynoob

I find this 'if it was day 1' thing to be nonsense and if anybody is being completely honest they can see it too if they look at data. Not only because it was at least visible from day 1, but because there are several games where an account was added retroactively without this visibility and didnā€™t get outrage anywhere close to this.

Take Rocket League for instance.

Screenshot-20240506-120445-Chrome.jpg

It added an Epic account in September 2020. Still mostly positive reviews in that period. The only time where negative reviews outpaced positive was when Epic bought the devs and hadn't even changed the game yet (the *) . Let that sink in for a minute, the review score was influenced more by Epic owning the dev than when Epic requested Epic accounts a year later (some were review bombing that too but overall reviews were 'mostly positive', not negative, not even mixed)

it does:

Difference between a company takeover requesting it, vs the publisher who released the game day1.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Everyone understands the concept that if you complain and raise a fit people will pay attention to you. there's no confusion about this. there was disagreement about whether this was something that warranted being upset about.
Yeah, but "different breed" though.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Was an easy decision for Sony honestly, they have some new games coming soon and donā€™t want the negative PR to effect them. that said mark my words they are not giving up this fight. They will simply introduce it going forward on every title.

ghost of tsushima is probably going to have it unless itā€™s too late in the process, but Iā€™d expect every new title to have it included.

Mr Moose

Was an easy decision for Sony honestly, they have some new games coming soon and donā€™t want the negative PR to effect them. that said mark my words they are not giving up this fight. They will simply introduce it going forward on every title.

ghost of tsushima is probably going to have it unless itā€™s too late in the process, but Iā€™d expect every new title to have it included.
Ghost has it for the MP, not needed for the single player.

Top Bottom