• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

For the record, I didn't get a code from my Amazon order. So I went and just pre-ordered it from Square's web store. Got a code in about twenty minutes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is fun. Instinct is too OP though. Gives you target location through walls and floors? Uh... no thanks. Would like some instinct toggles.

Weapon on back is very un-hitman. Very.

Otherwise, this is a real Hitman game!

Evolved1

Is that any different from the Hitman games? You could see your target's location on the map.
Uh, I don't recall tbh. It's possible. Been a while, and my recollection has eroded on some of this stuff.

If so, I most likely complained about on gaf back then as well! lol

Those PS2-quality graphics

And that's being generous. The actual PS2 version of Blood Money looks like shit.

736851-919983_20060530_001.jpg

Tovarisc

Is that any different from the other Hitman games? You could see your target's location on the map.

Big difference is that pre-Absolution you had to look at the map which took away 47's control, but Absolution's solution that this is very close to is basically realtime wallhack that highlight NPC's according priority / importance. In Absolution you could disable vision, and I think it was automatically turned off at higher difficulty levels.

Uh, I don't recall tbh. It's possible. Been a while, and my recollection has eroded on some of this stuff.

If so, I most likely complained about on gaf back then as well! lol

Yeah in the old Hitman games when you'd bring up the map it would have circles with lines indicating NPCs and the direction they were facing. When you played on normal difficulties it had gray circles for random people, blue circles for police, yellow circles for guards, and red circles for targets. In Professional mode only the target was visible, but even then you could pull up the map and see them no matter what part of the level they were on.

Moff

Personally I think Instinct is the better option. You don't have to pause the game and can get the same info in a second or two while still playing.

I didn't hate instinct as most did in absolution, it was not overpowered because as you say, you always had that power in hitman, it was just displayed differently.
however, I do prefer the map, it makes me feel more like a professional, it's less passive. it's more fun.

Karu

How viable are disguises now? Like, hopefully not being absolutely useless like in Absolution.
People with same uniform: won't detect you.
People with same uniform and a white dot above head: Will get suspicious of you rather quickly, but you still have plenty room to escape etc.

And then it depends which areas your disguise-profession is allowed to enter generall of course.

Tovarisc

How viable are disguises now? Like, hopefully not being absolutely useless like in Absolution.

I watched BikeMan playing earlier and disguises seem to be quite powerful now. You literally need to shove yourself into face of equal for him to get suspicious or walk into superior [e.g. officer who is in charge of guards] for them to start question who you are. Basically by not walking directly into other guards or officers while being disguised as guard you can move around quite freely etc.

Also like one would expect you can only trigger certain events when disguised as certain personnel.

Evolved1

If they just alter the way 47 holds a long gun (not magically glued to his back) I'm pretty satisfied with this.

I do miss fpwv though, from the OG games. It was always a bit wonky, but a neat option nonetheless.

Tovarisc

From the screenshots, it looks less visually stylized than Absolution. A bit bland, honestly.

image110.jpg

To be fair everything that we see in beta is build into old abandoned military base that is located inside of mountain, basically cheapo set pieces put up so they can give 47 some test targets.

SJRB

Gold Member
From the screenshots, it looks less visually stylized than Absolution. A bit bland, honestly.

In all fairness the beta missions take place in an exercise environment where they rebuilt a scene with wooden assets.

So yeah, most if it lacks detail because most of it are wooden or cardboard fakes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

image110.jpg

Yeah was going to post that.

Absolution had much better graphics. What happened to their new Glacier Engine?

Those are PC shots but i highly doubt the new Hitman will look THAT much better on PC.

hitman15blng.png

hit2seq5d.png

torpet

Neo Member
This game plays absolutely terrible, here is why:

- Lifeless levels. Maybe static is the correct term here.
- Sandbox feels utterly weird. I am not good with words, so I find this hard to describe. It's almost as if they were created by modders, not by the devs.
- I don't really understand how Instinct works now. They should have gotten rid of it entirely.
- Why on earth are all the people highlighted when Instinct is activated? An assassination simulator where you know exactly where the target is? Seriously?
- Graphics (I am really not too picky, but this is not enough for the year 2016). Draw a weapon in the first mission, framerate will tank hard too.

Let's face it, the full release is just a bit more than a month away, this game is not getting any better. I feel so sad right now, considering how much I wanted this game to be good.

I much preferred Absolution to this, and this must mean something... :(

graywolf323

I pre-ordered the digital version last fall on Amazon expressly in order to get into the beta and I still haven't gotten a code yet :-/

DOWN

Banned
Yeah was going to post that.

Absolution had much better graphics. What happened to their new Glacier Engine?

Those are PC shots but i highly doubt the new Hitman will look THAT much better on PC.

hitman15blng.png

hit2seq5d.png

I guess the linearity made it easier.

I've said it before that I don't understand why all of Square's western developers are allowed to make these visually subpar engines. Why does every team they have make their own engine when none of them are industry competitive? Take a page from Frostbite's book tbh

I guess the linearity made it easier.

I've said it before that I don't understand why all of Square's western developers are allowed to make these visually subpar engines. Why does every team they have make their own engine when none of them are industry competitive? Take a page from Frostbite's book tbh

Absolution looked fantastic, and I'm pretty sure that the engine Eidos Montreal are using for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a modified version of IO's Glacier Engine.

ArjanN

- Lifeless levels
- Sandbox feels utterly weird. I am not good with words, so I find this hard to describe. It's almost as if they were created by modders, not by the devs.
- I don't really understand how Instinct works now. They should have gotten rid of it entirely.
- Why on earth are all the people highlighted when Instinct is activated? An assassination simulator where you know exactly where the target is? Seriously?
- Graphics (I am really not too picky, but this is not enough for the year 2015). Draw a weapon in the first mission, framerate will tank hard too.

Let's face it, the full release is just a bit more than a month away, this game is not getting any better. I feel so sad right now, considering how much I wanted this game to be good.

Weird. To me this beta is already better than all of absolution.

Have you played the previous games? That's Hitman. It's not an assassination simulator. It's a stealth puzzler. You almost always knew where your target was.

- Graphics (I am really not too picky, but this is not enough for the year 2016). Draw a weapon in the first mission, framerate will tank hard too.

I haven't played this beta but I find it odd that someone would think Absolution is better.

In all the Hitman games, you can know exactly where the target is. The location of the target is not the important part, it's how you dispatch of him/her.

Given the difference between locations, I'm not surprised.

Most of Absolution's locations have that stylized look. This one looks like it's going for a simpler approach. While you can say that it's due to the larger environments, there's also a generational gap in terms of hardware (at least on consoles).

hitman_release_date.0.0.jpg

Actually, I remember hearing that the old art director (who got promoted to game director of Absolution) left after the last game, so I'm assuming that's the primary reason.

torpet

Neo Member
Have you played the previous games? That's Hitman. It's not an assassination simulator. It's a stealth puzzler. You almost always knew where your target was.

Yes I did. I loved Blood Money to death.
The location of the target was almost always known, but there was still something to it when you first discovered the target, even if it was right at the beginning of the level.

I was really tired while playing the beta today and will give it another chance tomorrow.

SJRB

Gold Member

Noting in this "beta" even resembles a puzzle though. There is no challenge to be found, unless you set arbitrary rules for yourself like "no disguises" or "only move though the level walking backwards".

The final test mission intro even tells you that it'll be extremely difficult, but in reality you can finish it in less than 5 minutes with minimal effort.

The design, gameplay, AI, everything feels bland. I know they're tutorial missions, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why they thought this would be good beta content. They should've used the Paris mission, which looks infinitely more interesting.

This thing leaves an utterly mediocre impression of a game that will probably actually be quite good.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Noting in this "beta" even resembles a puzzle though. There is no challenge to be found, unless you set arbitrary rules for yourself like "no disguises" or "only move though the level walking backwards".

The final test mission intro even tells you that it'll be extremely difficult, but in reality you can finish it in less than 5 minutes with minimal effort.

It is the tutorial though, isn't it?

Foffy

Banned

The design, gameplay, AI, everything feels bland. I know they're tutorial missions, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why they thought this would be good beta content. They should've used the Paris mission, which looks infinitely more interesting.

This thing leaves an utterly mediocre impression of a game that will probably actually be quite good.

This is not a beta to try out content and call it a day. This is a server test, first and foremost. There are less variables to consider in the tutorial missions for their tests than the Showstopper level.

Evolved1

I like it. More freedom than Absolution. Second test is actually a little tricky in some ways.

However, reading the challenges is like looking at the answers before doing a crossword puzzle. So I didn't open that menu on the second scenario. Also, unlike Absolution, game plays fine without instinct. In the previous, it was part of the disguise mechanism, and the game was practically broken without it. NOT the case here. Plays just fine, better even. You still have the map with target.

I like it. More freedom than Absolution. Second test is actually a little tricky in some ways.

However, reading the challenges is like looking at the answers before doing a crossword puzzle. So I didn't open that menu on the second scenario. Also, unlike Absolution, game plays fine without instinct. In the previous, it was part of the disguise mechanism, and the game was practically broken without it. NOT the case here. Plays just fine, better even. You still have the map with target.

Awesome. Can't wait to get home and start messing around with it.

MUnited83

For you.

Saying that "the game is not getting better" when you only played what are basically tutorial levels is like judging Blood Money on the "Death of a Showman" level.

Top Bottom