• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy officially the number one selling new release of 2023

gokurho

MiguelItUp

"*Through September 2023"

I wonder if anything could possibly beat it from September onward?

It's a shame that the studio wasn't honored just because of JK Rowling's opinions. Well, and that there was all the "drama" around its release. But they don't need a silly reward, I'm happy it sold so well for them because everything that revolved around it was pretty ridiculous. Even if the game isn't your cup of tea, it was clear it was developed by a passionate and dedicated bunch. Good for them!

tommib

This is one of the most diverse game ever created, yet blue hair girls tried to boycott it because Rowling do not think a man can be a women, totally insane.
It’s not that Rowling even thinks that. This whole thing started with her just making an innocuous joke about “people who menstruate? Hm. If only we had a word for that”.

I have no doubt that she has nothing against trans people - her problem is radical activism and terminology management from a group that has imposed itself in the current discourse with self-id legal proposals (and that also sent her death threats).

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The game director said so

Game was released in February, we are in November and there were no announcements about DLCs

By now we would have heard something. It would be pretty stupid to announce DLCs almost 1 year after the initial release.

You want to keep people engaged so you have more players when the DLC launches and so people dont sell their copies
Nintendo announced DLC for Mario Kart 5 years after it was out. Who's to say.

graywolf323

Beating games like FIFA and CoD is not an easy task.
it’s based on sales through September so the new COD hadn’t released yet and EA Sports FC had only released that month

it’s still #1 in America as of the October Circana numbers but I wouldn’t be shocked if it falls out of the top spot by the end of the year (I also wouldn’t be surprised if it hangs onto it though especially with the Switch release and BF sales)

Tangerine

Someone should make a charity that gets copies of the game into the hands of desperate reeetards by any means necessary. The completionist could run it.

killatopak

Gold Member
Cant think of how adding optional online co-op and more optional minigames and activities could be bad for your singleplayer experience

To me it's just a bad business decision to let the game die without further support
The resources needed for those modes needs to be taken from somewhere. I bet the single player experience will take that hit. Look no further than GTA5 which was supposed to have story expansions like GTA4. They got blinded by Shark Card purchases.

MrA

WB CEO when he find out Hogwarts Legacy just sold incredibly instead of being a failed GAAS like Back 4 Blood or a 9 years in the making GAAS bomb like Suicide Squad
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

source.gif
They can cancel it for a tax write off
Amazing how ea and activision had license to loved properties for years and just churned out garbage thinking quality didn't matter
Now some actually bothers and they sell like crazy.
Anyone remember when ea bought the rights to wcw when the 64 wrestling games were huge thinking it was the license, not the quality of akimans work that sold them

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I expected this to be among the first responses, thanks for being on top of it!

This is one of the most diverse game ever created, yet blue hair girls tried to boycott it because Rowling do not think a man can be a women, totally insane.
I don’t even get WTF these people are talking about. So many times I’ve seen conversations like this.

“she’s… she’s a TRANSPHOBE who thinks that trans people shouldn’t exist and shouldn’t have any rights!!”

“oh really? When did she say that?”

[no response]

As far as I can tell, the only “transphobic” things she’s done are
- she says that “people who menstruate” and “women” are synonyms
- she opened a women-only rape crisis center
- she said people should not be legally forced to use someone’s chosen gender pronouns

Oh the horror!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s a fantastic game. I think thanks to its… bare bones nature, the systems that are there are very well thought out and the game is never overbearing like open world games tend to be.
For the is reason, even if the story was just ok, I found the game very relaxing and just a good time. I couldnt put it down and I still get back to it.
The world (not just the castle) feels amazing. It’s not a simulation like gta. You just fly around, views are amazing, you adavakedavra some troll, continue to another view.
But mind you, side quests are very good and combat is excellent. And thank god they give you unforgivable curses even though they break the difficulty in half. That’s how it should be!!!
My fear is that they will get over their head and implement all too many systems in a sequel.

So the fact this is not in tga is shameless

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
people really underestimated the appeal of the IP + it being multiplatform
And the reeee crowd really ruined some sales or at least enjoyment of the game for others.
Don’t forget that some streamers didn’t touch the game and others who did like gf reviews, were harassed, failed at life and started to really dislike the game after this influence.

tkscz

The Switch port - which is a very competently done - has been released just this week so I expect the sales momentum to continue into the holiday season.
Last I checked on the eShop, it went from 24th with just pre-orders to 7th after release with the premium edition being in 9th. Lots of HP fans were waiting on the Switch version and a lot of kids are going to get it for Christmas.

Being snubbed of any GOTY nominations is disgraceful

Cannot believe how much of the industry panders to cowards

Game awards have been meaningless for a long time. Mostly popularity contest at this point.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Never heard it being called woke before, unlike the story of Baldur's Gate 3...
IIRC they have a trans character despite the fact the game is supposed to take place in 1890, also it‘s filled with things that would be considered more culturally appropriate nowadays than back then

I don‘t think it’s so bad that you get beaten in the head about it unlike how bad it can get in other games though which is why there hasn’t been a massive backlash, just makes it all the more ironic that Era & the other crazies hate it despite the fact the game really did everything they said they want

Last edited:
I wish this game actually allowed me to go to class and that getting caught roaming around the castle at night was punishable.

I wish you gained house points. Such a stupid thing to overlook/not give a shit about adding.

I wish the lighting looked better. In many cases it glitches while walking through doors. But even the castle in general only looks good in certain light. It's usually way too drab.

And who could forget Quidditch.

StueyDuck

Whats the player engagement though 🤣

Good on them though, the game was fine enough, they could do wonders with a sequel.

Also anything that sets off the purple peds is always a good laugh

Last edited:

GymWolf

I expected this to be among the first responses, thanks for being on top of it!

I don’t even get WTF these people are talking about. So many times I’ve seen conversations like this.

“she’s… she’s a TRANSPHOBE who thinks that trans people shouldn’t exist and shouldn’t have any rights!!”

“oh really? When did she say that?”

[no response]

As far as I can tell, the only “transphobic” things she’s done are
- she says that “people who menstruate” and “women” are synonyms
- she opened a women-only rape crisis center
- she said people should not be legally forced to use someone’s chosen gender pronouns

Oh the horror!
She was literally paying for pizza and beer for all the trump death squads running around the streets killing alphabet people.

Check your facts straight, you are a bigot, not a bigót.

Last edited:
Very well deserved. Easily the most enjoyable and fun game I've played this year. Yes, that includes TOTK, Spider-Man 2 and GOW Ragnarök.

Success

I find it hilarious that the WB game with the most potential for GAAS was a singleplayer game

It was a good game, but anyone with a brain knows that many casuals bought this game due to the Harry Potter IP

WB could have added online co op, more school minigames, quidditch and they could have made TONS of money (well, even more)

This game not having an online component and DLCs is the most idiotic decision of the generation so far

And yet they've ordered a GAAS game from Rocksteady

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

What a novice comment.

You can say all of this in hindsight now.

Hugare

What a novice comment.

You can say all of this in hindsight now.
Not at all

The premisse of the game is such an obvious fit for GAAS

"Create your own student, take classes in Hogwarts and explore all the surroundings including Hogsmead."

Specially since people have been craving for a multiplayer HP game for more than a decade

Everyone knew that this game was going to be a hit. People have been waiting for a AAA Harry Potter game for such a long time.

It didnt have to reinvent the wheel. It just had to be good enough, and it was. Results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom