• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy officially the number one selling new release of 2023

That's cool. Power of decent game, great branding, and strong advertising. I haven't played it, probably won't for a long time if ever. But that's cool.

CGNoire

woman-yelling.gif
Right on Schedule.

Success

Not at all

The premisse of the game is such an obvious fit for GAAS

"Create your own student, take classes in Hogwarts and explore all the surroundings including Hogsmead."

Specially since people have been craving for a multiplayer HP game for more than a decade

Everyone knew that this game was going to be a hit. People have been waiting for a AAA Harry Potter game for such a long time.

It didnt have to reinvent the wheel. It just had to be good enough, and it was. Results speak for themselves.

Again, what a novice take.

Avalance Studio is new at making AAA games.

And now you want them to make a AAA based on an IP that has a history of bad to mid games.

On a concept of an open world universe that has never been attempted at that scale before in the franchise.

While also making sure the game systems are built for and work for a multiplayer environment.

Everyone knew that this game was going to be a hit.
And the fact that you non-ironically said this shows that your knowledge of gaming history is lacking.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Wasn’t my cup of tea but I’m surprised it didn’t get GOTY nominations thus far.

Hugare

Again, what a novice take.

Avalance Studio is new at making AAA games.

And now you want them to make a AAA based on an IP that has a history of bad to mid games.

On a concept of an open world universe that has never been attempted at that scale before in the franchise.

While also making sure the game systems are built for and work for a multiplayer environment.

My point is that the game would sell well regardless of its quality 'cause the franchise have never received this budget before. And people were hungry for it. Luckily the game was also good.

Hence the huge pre order numbers. People didnt give a fuck if Avalanche was unknown to the AAA space. The ordinary person reads "open world Harry Potter game" and thats enough for a pre order, regardless of the devs pedigree.

You are the one who seems to know shit about how most people outside of a gaming forum may think about games like this one.

About your bullet points: they nailed everything. I doubt that adding online co-op or minigames, or story DLC post launch would be where the line would be drawn and they wouldnt be able to accomplish.

And the fact that you non-ironically said this shows that your knowledge of gaming history is lacking.

lol, ok Michael Pachter

Last edited:
congrats to the developers, & hang in there - eventually you'll manage to release a game worthy of getting nominated at the game awards, a work of undeniable beauty, depth, innovation, & quality on the level of, say, alan wake 2...

Last edited:
Everyone who boycotted the game not giving a shit how it affected the devs - people who love the franchise while going the extra steps for inclusiveness - lost their ability to complain about layoffs at all. This isn't a jab at supporting LGBTQ movement either, I support them, but fuck off with the hypocrisy of watching a whole company potentially go under just to spite an immensely successful author who is beyond hurting.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s a fantastic game. I think thanks to its… bare bones nature, the systems that are there are very well thought out and the game is never overbearing like open world games tend to be.
For the is reason, even if the story was just ok, I found the game very relaxing and just a good time. I couldnt put it down and I still get back to it.
The world (not just the castle) feels amazing. It’s not a simulation like gta. You just fly around, views are amazing, you adavakedavra some troll, continue to another view.
But mind you, side quests are very good and combat is excellent. And thank god they give you unforgivable curses even though they break the difficulty in half. That’s how it should be!!!
My fear is that they will get over their head and implement all too many systems in a sequel.

So the fact this is not in tga is shameless
As someone who doesn’t give half a wet shit about the controversies of this game, thank you for making a post about the actual gameplay. I’m not really a HP fan (though I LOVE Wizard People Dear Reader), but it sounds like I would have fun with this game. I might grab it when it goes on sale.

Blackage

The irony is that the game itself is actually fairly progressive.

Trans/non-binary friendly char creator, they/them pronoun usage, immigrant wizards from other countries telling their stories, trans and gay characters among other things.

I imagine the "keep politics outta my video games" crowd isn't pleased the above is included, but they'll cheer because the liberal crowd is triggered a JK Rowling product is doing well!

Basically the people enjoying the game the most are those that don't care one way or the other and are just happy to have a good game that takes place in Harry Potter's world.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I find it hilarious that the WB game with the most potential for GAAS was a singleplayer game

It was a good game, but anyone with a brain knows that many casuals bought this game due to the Harry Potter IP

WB could have added online co op, more school minigames, quidditch and they could have made TONS of money (well, even more)

This game not having an online component and DLCs is the most idiotic decision of the generation so far

And yet they've ordered a GAAS game from Rocksteady

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
Um, good? lol

StereoVsn

Cant think of how adding optional online co-op and more optional minigames and activities could be bad for your singleplayer experience

To me it's just a bad business decision to let the game die without further support
We have seen how with GTA. All of a sudden online becomes the main focus with SP becoming an afterthought.

Puscifer

And it still keeps on selling.

They have no power here.
I missed the boat on the Harry Potter bandwagon after the third book or so but damn, a lot of people got their dream game and rather than focusing on that it's weird that I forget it was released until I hear about some crazy milestone it achieved.

Hugare

Trans/non-binary friendly char creator, they/them pronoun usage, immigrant wizards from other countries telling their stories, trans and gay characters among other things.

I imagine the "keep politics outta my video games" crowd isn't pleased the above is included, but they'll cheer because the liberal crowd is triggered a JK Rowling product is doing well!

Basically the people enjoying the game the most are those that don't care one way or the other and are just happy to have a good game that takes place in Harry Potter's world.
Same thing with Cyberpunk

The game has arguably the best trans representation in a game yet with Clair

Also gay characters such as Judy and Kerry that arent caricatures, but very developed

But god almighty, they have included a billboard with a trans character with a huge penis in a game where society is sexualized to extreme levels

They are a joke

We have seen how with GTA. All of a sudden online becomes the main focus with SP becoming an afterthought.

Add co op or multiplayer after launch. We have some examples of this in the industry.

So the initial development cycle isnt compromised

phant0m

Best game of the year imo and a fucking travesty that it hasnt been included in goty lists cos they dont want to upset the pansie brigade
Idk man. I really enjoyed my time with Hogwarts, it was very well done, but it’s just not in the tier of BG3, TOTK or even Wonder.

phant0m

Everyone who boycotted the game not giving a shit how it affected the devs - people who love the franchise while going the extra steps for inclusiveness - lost their ability to complain about layoffs at all. This isn't a jab at supporting LGBTQ movement either, I support them, but fuck off with the hypocrisy of watching a whole company potentially go under just to spite an immensely successful author who is beyond hurting.
I believe it’s called “cutting off your nose to spite your face”

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It’s not that Rowling even thinks that. This whole thing started with her just making an innocuous joke about “people who menstruate? Hm. If only we had a word for that”.

I have no doubt that she has nothing against trans people - her problem is radical activism and terminology management from a group that has imposed itself in the current discourse with self-id legal proposals (and that also sent her death threats).
She's alright in my book.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
JK Rowling is also very pro-Israel. That's another reason why people are hating on her now.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I wish the trial on PSN was more than an hour. That really isn't enough time to let you understand what the game is all about.

DeepSpace5D

I too think it’s absolutely nuts that the single best selling game of the year received no nominations at the biggest game awards show.

Regardless, the consumers have spoken no matter how much these people try to sweep it under the rug.

tkscz

I hope genocide was worth the blood money, disgusting.
So I decided for shits and giggles to check the death rate, specifically suicide rates of this year and while they only go the Mar of this year so far, death rates went down from February to March

taizuke

I think what people have a problem with is the constant preaching of politics in entertainment. All the LGBTQ+ characters in Hogwarts Legacy felt like characters to me. There was no lecture or message, just characters with different personalities that all felt unique and fun to interact with.

If more media prioritize fully developed characters, instead of making identity politics the most important trait... we'd be less divided and more supportive of their work.

Top Bottom