• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy officially the number one selling new release of 2023

Yes, as we recently learned from Starfield fans.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF
I think Starfield should have been nominated but that wasn't political. I like Xbox, sure, but I also like PlayStation and Switch just as much. I played Starfield for about 8 hours and stopped because it requires too much time and focus, but I still think it's a good game. Just don't have the time to play it right now. Don't care that it wasn't nominated, and don't generally care about awards and ratings.

But to deny Hogwarts Legacy its dues over the political atmosphere is just wrong. Not saying it should win anything, but it certainly deserves more praise, and deserves fair reviews like every other game, and at least a recognition for being one of the best games of this year.

Last edited:

Puscifer

I too think it’s absolutely nuts that the single best selling game of the year received no nominations at the biggest game awards show.

Regardless, the consumers have spoken no matter how much these people try to sweep it under the rug.
Seriously, I'm happy people got their dream game but it's crazy to me that people are losing their shit over the author who basically had ZERO to do with the game and the setting isn't even associated with what their familiar with. I honestly wanna buy it just to see what the hypes about.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
But to deny Hogwarts Legacy its dues over the political atmosphere is just wrong. Not saying it should win anything, but it certainly deserves more praise, and deserves a fair review like every other game.
It sits at 84 on MC, and there were much better reviewed games this year. I don't think sales numbers should indicate a nom, otherwise blockbuster movies would be automatically nominated for an Oscar.

But just like the Oscars, it's all who gives a fuck. The game is selling really well, it's not like getting a nom would get it more recognition and sales. If you loved it, what does it matter?

the TGAs in general are for the reveals for me, I don't give two fucks about the actual awards.

It sits at 84 on MC, and there were much better reviewed games this year. I don't think sales numbers should indicate a nom, otherwise blockbuster movies would be automatically nominated for an Oscar.

But just like the Oscars, it's all who gives a fuck. The game is selling really well, it's not like getting a nom would get it more recognition and sales. If you loved it, what does it matter?

the TGAs in general are for the reveals for me, I don't give two fucks about the actual awards.
Because political activism inside this hobby is unacceptable. Sure, you could say "who cares" when it's just this, or that one, but to be systematically shunned proves the lack of ethics in the industry.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's a brilliant game and I haven't seen anything nail its worldbuilding this well since Witcher 3. Similar to that one, the combat gets a bit tired, but it's a damn fine achievement in a hundred other ways and it deserved recognition for it.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Because political activism inside this hobby is unacceptable. Sure, you could say "who cares" when it's just this, or that one, but to be systematically shunned proves the lack of ethics in the industry.
True. Not sure it's political as much as it is cultural.

It's a brilliant game and I haven't seen anything nail its worldbuilding this well since Witcher 3. Similar to that one, the combat gets a bit tired, but it's a damn fine achievement in a hundred other ways and it deserved recognition for it.
Agreed. Think of all the developers and other people who worked (obviously) very hard on this product, and basically got screwed over because of a few words on twitter?

As a fan of the books and movies, what they were able to accomplish with the lore, Hogwarts castle and school grounds alone is a milestone in video games.

I wonder if the various awards shows for TV shows will also pretend that the upcoming HBO Harry Potter series doesn't exist, that would be a fucking hoot

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
congrats to the developers, & hang in there - eventually you'll manage to release a game worthy of getting nominated at the game awards, a work of undeniable beauty, depth, innovation, & quality on the level of, say, alan wake 2...
Man… aw2 was fine but it was such a disappointment for me. Woke as fuck in a bad way that influenced the game. Survival horror with no survival and only horror being loud obnoxious flashing grandma pictures. Would help if there was gameplay but no. You walk around, pretend to salve the case on a board and spend lots of time listening to head on monologues in the mind place. And it wins everything and is praised. I don’t get this industry anymore

Tangerine

I just gave it another sale. I went halves of a copy for my sister. It's in the UK black Friday sale at £39. I had £80 worth of points saved up so was pretty easy and free (I guess it costs me 5 minutes a day, bing searches etc.) but I imagine counts as a proper sale.

Edit: I meant I helped her buy a copy a while back. She loved it, I never saw her play it. I bought a 2nd copy now, for myself, which I will hopefully play soon.

Last edited:
Man… aw2 was fine but it was such a disappointment for me. Woke as fuck in a bad way that influenced the game. Survival horror with no survival and only horror being loud obnoxious flashing grandma pictures. Would help if there was gameplay but no. You walk around, pretend to salve the case on a board and spend lots of time listening to head on monologues in the mind place. And it wins everything and is praised. I don’t get this industry anymore
The Message is more important than gameplay.

I don’t know why anybody expects anything from Western developers currently. Everywhere has been totally compromised by the mentally ill.

SCB3

Wow, Over Spiderman is pretty impressive, its a decent game, its not GotY by far (not even in my top 10, Top 15 is pushing it) but still fun

GymWolf

As someone who doesn’t give half a wet shit about the controversies of this game, thank you for making a post about the actual gameplay. I’m not really a HP fan (though I LOVE Wizard People Dear Reader), but it sounds like I would have fun with this game. I might grab it when it goes on sale.
It's a good 7\10 game.

It gets a bit over-praised because the devs clearly had love for the harry potter franchise and it was their first big game.

It's a fun game but with some glaring flaws, definitely a must play if you are an hp fans or have a knack for gingers

kTTr0L3.jpg

Last edited:
It just boils down to it being nice to see that not the entire world has been infected by this absurd "art = the artist" mentality.

It's a huge topic in itself but boycotting every piece of artistic expression that brings you joy because someone behind it was a cunt according to yourself is insane. Vetting artists for offenses and a "clean life" is even more insane and in line with zealotry. I've seen it go so far as posters claiming, dead serious too, they'll boycott an actor because they cheated on their spouse.

So turns out that not everyone who buys a piece of entertainment that brings them joy wholesale condones the artist's entire fucking worldview. How soft do you even have to be to not be able to just pick and choose what is useful to you from a piece of art and what to just chuckle at and leave there if it bothers you?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Only because all the right wing Terfs bought it to anger the good people /s

Switch version will sell gazillions this holiday season!
Yeah well...everyone totally forgot about it a week after release guys! I mean it didn't even get any awards! Lolz suck it bigots! /s

Humdinger

I think some of the neglect might be due to the fact that a Harry Potter game (by itself, regardless of the politics) isn't considered good enough to be nominated for the "prestigious" GOTY award. Why? Because, the people who do the nominating in this case -- a crowd of gaming journalists and industry insiders -- often are snobbish about games. They like to nominate games with "artistic merit," games that get high praise from critics and industry insiders. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it's a narrow perspective, and it disregards the tastes of the average gamer. A game like Hogwarts Legacy falls squarely into the "common man" game category. Not good enough for the "prestigious" GOTY award.

It's kind of ironic, considering we are talking about video games, but many journalists and insiders are kind of snobby about games, and Harry Potter game just wouldn't be good enough to make the cut.

MMaRsu

Banned
The game director said so

Game was released in February, we are in November and there were no announcements about DLCs

By now we would have heard something. It would be pretty stupid to announce DLCs almost 1 year after the initial release.

You want to keep people engaged so you have more players when the DLC launches and so people dont sell their copies

Probably all in on Hogwarts Legacy 2

GymWolf

Did you finish it? It's way better than a 7/10.
Yes, and it's exactly a 7\10 with normal, non-inflated scores.

7 is good, i know some of you people think that scores for good games only go from 85 to 100 but it's not how it work.

I guess i can go up to a 7,5 of encouragement because it was their first big game.

Let me put this way, it's an incredibly well made harry potter universe love letter in videogame form , but it's just a decent videogame\open world.

Last edited:
It’s not that Rowling even thinks that. This whole thing started with her just making an innocuous joke about “people who menstruate? Hm. If only we had a word for that”.

I have no doubt that she has nothing against trans people - her problem is radical activism and terminology management from a group that has imposed itself in the current discourse with self-id legal proposals (and that also sent her death threats).
Its really annoying and ridiculous, the "no humor allowed" and "guilt by association" behavior. Things that I figured most of humanity would be on board with: self deprecation, joking about anyone or anything without targeting individuals, and not assigning guilt for a group of people for opinions of one or what they looked at.

Its really sad as she really didn't do anything wrong, outside of make a joke. The fact that the people who made this wonderful game (so I've heard, may get it now its on sale), aren't getting recognition on major award shows is absurd.

Facism

REEEEEEEEEEEEE about to implode.

Ha Ha Lol GIF

Can't even talk about it there. At most you can imagine a few angry wanks and moaning over discord as they try to convince each other they didn't play the game themselves.

As for topic, ez dub. Anything Potter is going to do massive numbers.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Yeah, people here were saying it beat Resident Evil 4 for them. I’m guessing it’s the honeymoon period, because the reviewers I trust were likening it to a walking sim, with a heavy emphasis on searching for clues.

GymWolf

Sound like another deserved 91 metacritic like spidey 2.

Tangerine

Well you and the original guy who said 'she's cute' makes two! Maybe there were 3 I certainly can't be bothered to go back and look!

It's a good 7\10 game.

It gets a bit over-praised because the devs clearly had love for the harry potter franchise and it was their first big game.

It's a fun game but with some glaring flaws, definitely a must play if you are an hp fans or have a knack for gingers

kTTr0L3.jpg
the mask GIF

Are we playing the same game?

The Message is more important than gameplay.

I don’t know why anybody expects anything from Western developers currently. Everywhere has been totally compromised by the mentally ill.
Eh, most European games seem less egregious on that front. Its mostly the American counterpart thats somehow heavily plagued by this.

There was a recent interview with Spiderman 2's creative director, Bryan Intihar, where he practically stated they deliberately shove this stuff in with something along the lines "people just don't know they want it" (paraphrase). I honestly want them to finally snap out of it.

Last edited:
I do. The experience(tm) trumps actually engaging gameplay, tight mechanics, using your brain or any of the things that actually do create the much-sought immersion for most mainstream reviewers. Everything that actually involves figuring something out or improving in a videogame is now "not respecting my time". Imagine how interesting a game like that could've been if there were actual player agency instead of that Mind Place horseshit. I'm about 6 hours in right now and as a Point & Click fan coming off Stasis: Bone Totem, this is mindnumbingly and insultingly dumb. I got it as a birthday present from my sister the other day and I keep telling her how much I love it anyway 😎

Style over substance reigns, or more so feelings over substance. Game made me FEEL THINGS, 10/10. Shit is stupid.

Edit: can't spell

Last edited:
Top Bottom