• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

Ramz87

@Coulomb_Barrier all due credits

baby-jesus.gif
This looks incredible and I’m viewing on my 1080p phone..can’t imagine how it’ll look on my 4K Sony Bravia 👀🔥

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It didn't changed a bit.

All the eyecandy in this world can't substitute a game made from the ground up on ps5.

Physics, stuff on screen at the same time, level design etc! Are still dictated by 2013 notebook cpu, a 5400rp hard disk and a gpu that was already bad on release 9 years ago, the ps5 version has the exact same physics\distructikn than horizon 1 and you don't have 3x times the numbers of enemies or dinobot on screen during "massive" battles.
If you think that a modern ryzen can't do better than an old ass jaguar then i have bridge to sell...

When people are gonna see horizon 3 exclusive on ps5 all these talks are gonna be an hilarious relic of the past.
I have to agree. I am surprised at how freaking gorgeous they got this cross-gen game to look but at the same time

We are not ready for future games made from the ground up for PS5 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

nowhat

I guess that there are enough improvements to the PS5 version to where it's pretty much current gen maxed out or else there'd be a 1440p 60fps mode with better antialiasing.
Different engines and all that. TLoU2 at 1440p looks great on a 4K screen, but the ND engine has some really heavy post-processing (including AA - and at release, way too much film grain, luckily that can be adjusted now). Whereas Decima seems to have different priorities. I'm not saying either is better.

GymWolf

Gold Member
No wet shader?
No splashing ?
Looks amazing anyway buy not the best best example
Yeah i saw some footage and the water itself looks gorgeous but some interactions between aloy and water are a bit subpar.

I think that in some water surfaces (not all of them strangely enough), tlou2, rdr2 and latest ac games have better ripple effects.

But it may be a case of low quality gifs where you don't see all the details.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Horizon Forbidden West: Aloy's herb diet
Horizon Forbidden West: Colorless tribes
Horizon Forbidden Westside till we die
Horizon Forbidden West: Scrap metal junkyard
Horizon Forbidden West: SeaWorld
Horizon Forbidden West: Crossgen miracle
Horizon Forbidden jawline
Horizon Forbidden West: VFX art with no tech
Horizon Forbidden Bush and woods
Horizon Forbidden West: Peach fuzz and cherry blossoms

Most of these are shitty, I know lol

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

Most of these are shitty, I know lol

Missing

Horizon Forbidden West: Unshaved Edition

Hobbygaming

Any of you sexy sony bastards got a cool OT name?
Horizon Forbidden Bush and woods
Horizon Forbidden West: Peach fuzz and cherry blossoms

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im taking Friday off. First time Ive taken a day off for a game since TLOU2 I think.

Shame I cant preload it because Sony wont allow preload of the PS4 version upgrade, and Im not paying an extra $10 to fund Jim Ryan's new yacht. I swear this company really wants me to hate it. lol

Aenima

Game looks gorgeous. Missed the first one... But I might check this one out. Unless it's a 100 hour game.
YongYea said it took him 40 hours to beat the game and some side quests, and maybe needed more 10 to 20 hours to finish all the sidequests. So for the story and all side quests should be around 50 to 60 hours. A bit more to get all the colectibles and stuff.

cormack12

Gold Member
YongYea said it took him 40 hours to beat the game and some side quests, and maybe needed more 10 to 20 hours to finish all the sidequests. So for the story and all side quests should be around 50 to 60 hours. A bit more to get all the colectibles and stuff.
Did he get the plat?

Gamerguy84

I always select performance. Except I just watched DF and Gamersyde videos on the TV I'll be playing on.

Quality mode all the way on this one. I can't believe the difference. I also can't believe how good this looks, how much work went into HFW and I haven't seen 1%

I've been good about keeping my hype level in check but I lost control and checked my mailbox because once in a while people get a surprise like that. I was not one of those people today.

Midn1ght

Game looks gorgeous but I'm amazed at the amount of people here saying they will play the game at 30 fps.
I see the difference in visuals and resolution but watching Gamersyde switching from 60 to 30 at around 17:50 is rough.
I don't know, I'll have to try it for myself I guess.

I always select performance. Except I just watched DF and Gamersyde videos on the TV I'll be playing on.

Quality mode all the way on this one. I can't believe the difference. I also can't believe how good this looks, how much work went into HFW and I haven't seen 1%

I've been good about keeping my hype level in check but I lost control and checked my mailbox because once in a while people get a surprise like that. I was not one of those people today.
Reminds me of the hard decision I had with Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox One X. The visuals were noticeably better at 30fps, game still looked good at 60fps and was soooo smooth. I eventually chose the quality at 30fps cuz that game felt fast enough at 30fps and I just couldn't take the overall downgrade.

These options are honestly stressing me out lol.

Tschumi

I like how she starts to wade through the water as it gets deeper. Gotta love the developers for adding these small little details. Its these things that add more immersion and believability to the game world.
The same way small details in The Last Of Us 2 like blood soaked bandages, clothing etc add more to the game.

Love it.
The first game had that too, in my thread on the graphics on hzd i was amazed that they had half a dozen different animations for her running :messenger_fire:

Sorry for a triple post.. i thought this thread was more active

Last edited:

Tschumi

I am surprised
Note: your post has triggered a wider thought in this reply, please don't think I'm raging at you directly lol, unless it does turn out to be relevant to what you have been saying in the list few months...

As i see it you shouldn't be, you should have just waited and seen what this game would look like in the hands of GG. You had no place deciding what was going to come out, you or others like you.

This idea that cross gen holds games back is bs. PC games are built to scale down, so too can HFW be, people who complain about cross gen like to say it changes the very bones of the game - not so. It isn't hard* to turn off or replace a few features the ps4 doesn't support, isn't hard to turn down the output resolution, only people who are looking for a way to talk down a game they've decided they're not going to like will have the balls to say they know what cross gen will do to a developer's offering.

*Not hard per se, but regularly done on pc, and certainly within the capabilities of the developers who brought us Killzone 2.

Last edited:
I know this isn't the right thread, but I was trying to find the most recent "TV" thread filled with settings and recommendations..this thread is jumping so I decided to post in here and ask if anyone can link me to it. I tried searching but im finding one's from all the way back to 2013 lol

I feel old :messenger_beaming:

Shmunter

Note: your post has triggered a wider thought in this reply, please don't think I'm raging at you directly lol, unless it does turn out to be relevant to what you have been saying in the list few months...

As i see it you shouldn't be, you should have just waited and seen what this game would look like in the hands of GG. You had no place deciding what was going to come out, you or others like you.

This idea that cross gen holds games back is bs. PC games are built to scale down, so too can HFW be, people who complain about cross gen like to say it changes the very bones of the game - not so. It isn't hard* to turn off or replace a few features the ps4 doesn't support, isn't hard to turn down the output resolution, only people who are looking for a way to talk down a game they've decided they're not going to like will have the balls to say they know what cross gen will do to a developer's offering.

*Not hard per se, but regularly done on pc, and certainly within the capabilities of the developers who brought us Killzone 2.

Must intervene here, but sorry you’re thinking of gfx features only, not core design where cpu compute or even mass data availability comes into it.

We’ve had an entire gen of practically no physics simulation advancement because the console CPU’s where being exhausted pushing draw calls to the GPU and other base fundamental game mechanics - there is nothing left after that. We’ve ended up with beautiful but ultimately static worlds.

There are countless simulation elements that can be leveraged as soon as we get away from trying to fit core gameplay onto Jaguar netbook constraints. Objects in the world can have physical properties not being just window dressing. It’s impractical technically and in business to design a game that does all that, and then turn it off or neuter it for low cpu powered system, hence you design for the baseline and ignore such potential.

Pc has been running those same games throughout the gen. Consider how can a premium pc cpu possibly be flexed running a game that is identical on Xbox One bar the fore mentioned GPU related flourishes but nothing else.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I respect your opinion bro but I still think and believe that crossgen holds games back

I understand scalability and it's easier to scale resolution and frames no doubt

But there's a paradigm shift coming where the SSD is needed to transfer data as quickly as possible. I've seen it explained as being like a "bandwidth multiplier" in a sense

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart used this method for its visuals but devs will continue to get even better results

Hobbygaming

Must intervene here, but sorry you’re thinking of gfx features only, not core design where cpu compute or even mass data availability comes into it.

We’ve had an entire gen of practically no physics simulation advancement because the console CPU’s where being exhausted pushing draw calls to the GPU and other base fundamental game mechanics - there is nothing left after that. We’ve ended up with beautiful but ultimately static worlds.

There are countless simulation elements that can be leveraged as soon as we get away from trying to fit core gameplay onto Jaguar netbook constraints. Objects in the world can have physical properties not being just window dressing. It’s impractical technically and in business to design a game that does all that, and then turn it off or neuter it for low cpu powered system, hence you design for the baseline and ignore such potential.

Pc has been running those same games throughout the gen. Consider how can a premium pc cpu possibly be flexed running a game that is identical on Xbox One bar the fore mentioned GPU related flourishes but nothing else.
Also this too

GooseMan69

From Sony 1st party? Nah.

3rd party is a little more suspect (*cough* Forspoken).

I agree actually. I was mostly referring to third party titles. Naughty Dog will likely set a new benchmark at some this gen.

Until then though, I think it’s gonna be awhile...longer than people think to see a game as impressive as this.

Tschumi

gameplay model using photomode

FLkga6-X0AY8Lp6
The reflection on his eyeball is just mind blowing...

This is what I'm saying, though. You here, and others like you elsewhere, have said this, but the upshot is the best looking console game to date is cross gen. So what do we say to that?

Could it be way better if it is a PS5 exclusive? Presumably. Neither you nor i know what GG has done under the hood here. But it's still the best looking title, despite this lack of core features you list, so what else can we ask for at this point in a generation?

I dunno, some pc games have physics sliders, i don't see why this isn't applicable in some sense here. PS5 isn't a PC, a month after getting a PS5 i got a computer that was an upgrade on it without breaking the bank, why is it a zero sum game?

I posit that it isn't the responsibility of PS5 games to look like PC games, their responsibility rather is to just look like a generational advancement, and surely nobody could say this PS5 release doesn't look better than any game from last gen, diminishing returns and all..

The first game had that too, in my thread on the graphics on hzd i was amazed that they had half a dozen different animations for her running :messenger_fire:

Not something I noticed playing HZ1 as I've not played very much of it but thanks for pointing that out. I love the little details in games.
There's a shit ton of these small details in Last Of Us 2 that's very easy to miss. I wish reviewers could highlight these more. I mean I understand reviewers don't have that much time dedicated to the game to be able to pick up on these but updated articles highlighting the hard work these devs put into making games more believable would be awesome. The deserve every praise for going that extra mile.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree actually. I was mostly referring to third party titles. Naughty Dog will likely set a new benchmark at some this gen.

Until then though, I think it’s gonna be awhile...longer than people think to see a game as impressive as this.
While Naughty Dog is the absolute master, it has come to a point that all PlayStation Studios are capable of setting new benchmarks. We have already seen it in such a short span of time.
  • Bluepoint set a new graphical benchmark with Demon's Souls.
  • Returnal, a relatively smaller game from a small and inexperienced HouseMarque team, did so much right with its particle effects and upscaling tech that Digital Foundry put it in their top 3, above Forza Horizon 5, GoTG, Metro Exodus, etc.
  • Then Insomniac released Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and set new visual benchmark.
  • Guerrilla is now following Rift Apart with Horizon: Forbidden West, and in my opinion, has already surpassed it.
  • After HFW, God of War and GT7 are coming.
  • Sucker Punch will likely set a new benchmark with a PS5 exclusive Ghost of Tsushima 2.
  • SSM's second IP, a PS5 exclusive, will likely set a new benchmark as well.
  • Then Naughty Dog drops a game, and we will require the collective effort of the human civilization to pick up our jaws again.
It just keeps getting better for PlayStation Studios, and everyone is setting new benchmarks with each game they release.

Top Bottom