• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West is amazing

Bernardougf

Gold Member
well, bad writing/characterization/pacing shits over a technical masterpiece.

Amém to that brother ... after playing the first game without much problems.. this one I played for a couple of hours and put it aside ... Aloy is f* annoying and Im already seeing some story tropes that I really dont like ... worst of all I bought the game and soon after sony put it on psplus

Going to force myself to finish eventually but is not looking good

FingerBang

The story is nonsense, and I couldn't care less about the cringe world and characters, but technically and visually, it's a masterpiece. It's a game I played till the end because it's fun to play. You have to push through the first few hours though.

GymWolf

I just finished the horizon fw dlc. Horizon has an incredible concept for a game world and Guerilla decides to focus on the most boring and uninteresting characters and awful plot points.

Despite everyone being reverted back to cave people the characters in the game world all come off as gigantic pussies. There are no badass tribe people. None. No Conan types. It's like every tribe is dominated not by warriors but an HR department. And the hair styles are dumb as fuck. They even managed to make Vegas uninteresting.

The DLC story is awful. How alloy keeps talking to herself and toeing around her feelings with her friend was fucking embarrassing. Such a cool world and they focus on this shit.
The tenakt are literally all about wars and fighting and honor.
The carja had wars with everyone and they made the red raids that are basically hitler germany in caveman form.

And all the tribes have warriors, warchiefs and shit.

But sure, they are a bunch of pacifiers...

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It's one of the best new IPs to release, and the biggest victim of the console war and anti-woke propaganda of this generation. It has the best graphics we've seen of any game, outside of an Unreal engine 5 tech demo. Definitely gets more hate than it deserves.

So if I see woke tropes sprinkled all over the game that means I've been brainwashed by the anti-woke propaganda ? I feel we are at a point that some things are becoming so normalized in media after years of pushing that to anything to be woke now has to be progressive more extreme ... sorry but what was woke FOR ME 5 years ago remains woke today, my eyes can see it, my brain can catch the tropes from a mile away, and they will never be "normal" for me

I would say that WOKE propaganda has been successful im turning shit tropes into "normal" ones ... and not that anti-woke propaganda is making us see things that are not there ... ill trust my eyes and ears, and in the end all of us can decide for ourselves what is good and what is not, no propaganda needed.

Chears mate

Guilty_AI

I'm not sure why, but I really don't understand the dislike of the series for some. I think the style is incredible, the machines are amazing in design, the soundtrack is great, there's of alot of variety in gameplay.
Boring main character (or characters in a general manner), Ubisoft open world design, gameplay that gets dull if you're used to better stuff.

I'd say its the kind of game people who don't usually play games would find amazing. Or people who tend to get heavily swayed by visuals.

In terms of narrative direction, yeah pretty much this. Which is a shame because the story in HZD really pulled me in and left me wanting more. Lol and to make matters worse, the writing/dialogue in the DLC is worse *facepalm*!

Yeah. This is the same take I had. Loved the story in HZD. Even reading the text logs, playing audio logs, etc just to piece together the full story of what happened, it was amazing.

I found myself skipping the cut scenes in HFW due to how boring it was. Finished the game and everything was great except the story.

Last edited:

DJ12

To be fair to the OP, I brought it on release played through the first section, basically the tutorial and never bothered with it again until 3 weeks ago when I decided to give it another chance and found it really enjoyable.

I don't like most of the errands or that you can kill a required machine for parts and still not get the thing you need. But otherwise I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

I am also amazed how much better burning shores looks compared to the base game. Wasn't expecting it at all.

GrayChild

It's a standard Guerilla fare, which means it looks amazing, but it's an absolute chore to actually play and experience. Not to mention that the story, characters and overall lore were bland at best, and absolutely cringeworthy at their worst.

It's pretty much a generic Ubisoft open-world collectaton, but with the high production values of a first-party AAA Sony game.

If u like Ubisoft open world games, then might like it, for me they barely fixed the first game’s problems, hand to hand combat is still garbage, and exploring still feels like ur walking around in circles, I don’t want talk about the story or characters, how hard is it to get some good writers.

Gambit2483

Regardless how you feel about the story or gameplay, you can't deny it's a very beautiful looking game..

T0EZOaM.jpg
Rjcmppv.jpg
WERFZjX.jpg

The game is a good looking piece of shit.

Edit: I want to elaborate more:

HZD was a good first effort, it was a very flawed game with lots of potential, so I was eager to play the sequel… and everything except the graphics is way worse than the first game.

I’m done with the IP.
Amen to that. Halfway playing through HFW I went from cool to be playing it again to incredibly bored, especially with the grind and the way they portrait Aloy. I didn't like most of the npc's either and knew which way it was going with the numbed down male characters. Will never buy anything Horizon related again.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The tenakt are literally all about wars and fighting and honor.
The carja had wars with everyone and they made the red raids that are basically hitler germany in caveman form.

And all the tribes have warriors, warchiefs and shit.

But sure, they are a bunch of pacifiers...

That is all there, sure, I am saying it's all incredibly sanitized. To the point where all the tribes personalities kind of blur together.

Gambit2483

That is all there, sure, I am saying it's all incredibly sanitized. To the point where all the tribes personalities kind of blur together.
Actually I found them all to be mostly distinct with very different social structures

Nora=Naturalist
Carja=Warriors/Royals w/hierarchy
Oseram=Builders/Miners/Drinkers
Utaru=Herbalist/Naturalists if the west
Tenakth = Warriors of the West that originated as one group that broke off into 3 different sects (based on Regions)
Quen=Technically advanced w/democratic structure

Beautiful game but bored the life out of me for some reason. I might try to go back to it but I'm certain it will be the same experience for me.

Yeah somehow the Horizon franchise went from overhyped to underrated on the internet but outside of the bubble my family and friends adore this game. I loved ZD but FW is better in almost every way and the music is superb.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The DLC also has by fucking far the best set piece of the gen so far.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Hopefully PC port soon with DLC included. I thought the first one was pretty good, had its boring parts but it's not a game you should play for many hours at a time.

soulbait

Yeah, it is an incredible game. I do not understand the hate it gets around here. I had a ton of fun playing through it, and if I was not busy playing Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, I would be playing the DLC right now.

Skifi28

I quite enjoyed it myself, enough to even go for the platinum. The visuals and combat are easily the best part of the game. The story and writing could be better, but it's not like they were terrible. What I mostly disliked was the climbing, certain side activities like the mount races and I think there's a bit too many samey underground ruins to explore.

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looks great, but that's where it stops. I liked the first part more, but even there it took me a while to enjoy it. The fighting was fun in the first part, in part 2 I was just annoyed.

I like Burning Shores Dlc a bit more than the main game. But I don't need another part for a long time.

The combat is so bad that I don't even spend the skill points.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Only reason for me to play this is when i get done with games i rather enjoy, and then ill play this on PS Plus.. Zero Dawn ,while beautiful, made me want to sit on barb wire and twirl.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Regardless how you feel about the story or gameplay, you can't deny it's a very beautiful looking game..

T0EZOaM.jpg
Rjcmppv.jpg
WERFZjX.jpg
Take out the fog and lens flare, and what you get is pretty average.

The base game is way too dependent on art direction and lighting effects.
Its an ugly game covered in pretty make up.

I dont have any problem with it tho. In the end, it have its own look and identity, and you can like it or not like it.

But you can see, and more if you compare it to burning shores, it is no technical marvel.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Visually, it might be the best on consoles. Gameplay, might be on the lower end of average, so I couldn’t stick with it.

I swear on my children’s lives, ever since the game went on the subscription, I’ve downloaded and deleted the game at least 5 times. I see screenshots posted here, then think, I’ll give it another chance. Then I boot it up, and then delete it maybe 20 minutes later.

Gudji

Yeah, it is an incredible game. I do not understand the hate it gets around here. I had a ton of fun playing through it, and if I was not busy playing Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, I would be playing the DLC right now.
It's one of the best open world games outhere. Superb presentation, good sci-fi story and excelent gameplay against unique enemies, they need to make the climbing system more like assassins creed in the 3rd game tho.

I love horizon , fighting robot dinos never gets old for me.
Had a blast with the DLC last weekend.
Didn’t enjoy the later half of the story on the second one, was expecting something bigger.

Hyped for the sequel they have the opportunity to really change and update the formula.

And it’s stunning visually.

T0minator

And dont get me started on the agenda this game is pushing. Nearly all men in this game are evil/dumb/goofy. Nearly all women are strong and smart.

I've now played through the majority of HFW in the past couple weeks and that's not how I interpreted the game at all. It's interesting how ppl can view this game so differently.

Making my own path to the West was really entertaining and meeting the different characters along the way was great, I agree not all NPC characters are great but neither are all humans in real life 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gambit2483

Take out the fog and lens flare, and what you get is pretty average.

The base game is way too dependent on art direction and lighting effects.
Its an ugly game covered in pretty make up.

I dont have any problem with it tho. In the end, it have its own look and identity, and you can like it or not like it.

But you can see, and more if you compare it to burning shores, it is no technical marvel.
BR3f4HZ.jpg
6IsNH3u.jpg

ymGMMwn.jpg
C5ZAHuD.jpg

No fog, no lens flare. I don't understand why you'd want to penalize the game for its various graphical effects though, as every game has these. Regardless, It's an amazing looking open world game, from the sky high, down to the ocean floor.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I remember just being in awe of all the facial animations. From the main characters all the way to the bum you only pass by once.
I forgot sometimes what they were talking about I was so fixated on looking at their faces :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Put all other devs to shame.

scydrex

I liked the game but yeah... Alloy is more anoying, the pacing and the story is worse because it's longer. They improved almost everything but character, pacing and story no. They should have made the game shorter at least it would have better pacing. They need to work harder on the narrative and story.

Gambit2483

Visually, it might be the best on consoles. Gameplay, might be on the lower end of average, so I couldn’t stick with it.

I swear on my children’s lives, ever since the game went on the subscription, I’ve downloaded and deleted the game at least 5 times. I see screenshots posted here, then think, I’ll give it another chance. Then I boot it up, and then delete it maybe 20 minutes later.

You should definitely give it a try till you at least get the flying mount. It drastically changes the feel of the game and the traversal options. If the gameplay is too hard maybe try adjusting the difficulty until you get the hang of it. Part of the fun is preparing for, hunting and setting traps for the different machines you need to take down (and upgrading your gear in the process).

MiguelItUp

Both games looked great visually, but I couldn't get into them at all. I think it's because the gameplay itself didn't feel like it was bringing anything new to the table. It felt like a dance I had done many times before. Plus not really being into the characters, story, setting, etc. I suppose it just wasn't/isn't for me.

I'm glad people enjoy it though, but I'll admit that I'm pretty surprised that Sony has been strong arming the IP so much. I guess there are definitely fans out there, even though I personally don't know any, lol.

I’ve tried to get through this game twice. The story is just so awful. Zero Dawn was a masterpiece. Forbidden West is standard open-world drudgery.

One aspect that I strongly dislike is how Aloy freely murders everyone without remorse. I didn’t care for the human enemies in Zero Dawn, but it wasn’t as blatant. Forbidden West Aloy is like: “hmm some unknown dudes in a cave, time to slit some throats”. It’s similar to what happened with Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Amazing game. Technically one of the best out right now. Gorgeous is an understatement and it means well see this level in many PS5 games to come.

Story was good not great, but good enough to keep me in. Gameplay was the star of the first game and it shines here as well.

Even though it hit psplus it was worth every penny.

Whitecrow

Banned
BR3f4HZ.jpg
6IsNH3u.jpg

ymGMMwn.jpg
C5ZAHuD.jpg

No fog, no lens flare. I don't understand why you'd want to penalize the game for its various graphical effects though, as every game has these. Regardless, It's an amazing looking open world game, from the sky high, down to the ocean floor.
I was talking about the base game.

I'm playing on a calibrated LG C9, and nothing on the base game looks specially great, if anything, everything looks out of place due to poor lighting, even having high res textures.

samoilaaa

no, most people talk about the combat as well.....what circles do you even surround yourself with.
no , most people talk about graphics when it comes to this game , it the best it has to offer , if it had a great story or combat people would talk about it more than how pretty it looks

Gudji

no , most people talk about graphics when it comes to this game , it the best it has to offer , if it had a great story or combat people would talk about it more than how pretty it looks
Wtf are you talking about people have been talking about the combat in horizon ever since we saw footage at E3. Lmao

Top Bottom