• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West is amazing

Get ready to hate Aloy
You joke(?) but this game honestly did make me hate her. She is insufferable here. Between the desperate shoehorning in of the sequel's plot, Aloys constant talking, and her terrible attitude, it is a miserable experience. I quit (twice) after getting about six hours in.

Zero Dawn is a game I will never forget. Forbidden West is one that I want to forget.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You joke(?) but this game honestly did make me hate her. She is insufferable here. Between the desperate shoehorning in of the sequel's plot, Aloys constant talking, and her terrible attitude, it is a miserable experience. I quit (twice) after getting about six hours in.

Zero Dawn is a game I will never forget. Forbidden West is one that I want to forget.
Yeah... finished zero down and love it .. coudnt pass strong jaw bitch Aloy and the general manlike female design of this game ... fuck this shit attitude towards woman ...

Controls well done? Really? I mean, the game is a dream to look at, but combat is a fucking slog. Too many animation frames or some shit, I *really* hope Guerrilla gets some help with this in the future.

Controls well done? Really? I mean, the game is a dream to look at, but combat is a fucking slog. Too many animation frames or some shit, I *really* hope Guerrilla gets some help with this in the future.
Funny I started up the game and did some combat today and while it controls great (with gyro aim), it is still hard to hit the enemies in precise locations.

Due to the animations of these creatures: they have so many quirky movements, which probably adds to the visuals, but are hindering the gameplay.

Even in slow motion the enemy just dips his head all of a sudden and you miss your shot.
Maybe simplifying the animations a bit (I mean: they are fucking robots, they can move a little static) would probably do wonders for the combat.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Some of the most frustrating controls I have experienced since Mario 64 way back in the day. Its not just button placement but how she moves through the environment. A quick Google search of Forbidden West terrible controls will show you I'm not alone on this either.

Last edited:
It was like Sony took a great idea and thought, how can I make this more like a Ubisoft open world with 1000 "?" on the map to discover... As someone who loved the first one, I was really really disappointed in HFW.

WorldHero

Phenomenal looking game but hampered by a serious case of bloat with combat, customization, and exploration. Found it much less enjoyable than the first game. Didn't even finish this one despite finishing the OG and the Frozen Wilds DLC.

To be fair, I've heard great things about the Burning Shores DLC, especially the final battle, but I can't muster enough discipline to finish the original campaign to access it.

Amen brother, amen.

midnightAI

Phenomenal looking game but hampered by a serious case of bloat with combat, customization, and exploration. Found it much less enjoyable than the first game. Didn't even finish this one despite finishing the OG and the Frozen Wilds DLC.

To be fair, I've heard great things about the Burning Shores DLC, especially the final battle, but I can't muster enough discipline to finish the original campaign to access it.
I thought FW was better than ZD in every way, combat is way better both ranged and melee, exploration too is way better, more mounts fast travel (which is very fast due to SSD), the story is no better or worse than the first in my opinion. And graphically obviously amazing.

Cannot wait for the finale of the trilogy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i disliked the game, it felt super generic to me especially after Zelda. Glad some people like it though, you can see the effort put in.
Same here. I played it for the world and graphics.
but the gameplays was ultra chore. Too many damage types and arrow types, constant scanning enemies and sponges. The amount of grinding for materials crafting if you want to level stuff is insane.
It took everything that I disliked from first game and amplified it.
You can even see how badly they felt about their open world traversability. There are bonfires every 5 meters
Sadly, the story is worse than first game and characters too. there are too many annoying woke goody two shoes characters.

I kinda liked where the story went though. And some side quests were good.

Hero_Select

Same here. I played it for the world and graphics.
but the gameplays was ultra chore. Too many damage types and arrow types, constant scanning enemies and sponges. The amount of grinding for materials crafting if you want to level stuff is insane.
It took everything that I disliked from first game and amplified it.
You can even see how badly they felt about their open world traversability. There are bonfires every 5 meters
Sadly, the story is worse than first game and characters too. there are too many annoying woke goody two shoes characters.

I kinda liked where the story went though. And some side quests were good.
the open-world is easily the worst part about the game for me. It's so restrictive and climbing rock surfaces feels horrible

Trunx81

Just had the first encounter with “them” which was kind of interesting.

Regarding Aloys attitude: She’s a clone of a woman who gets the sentence “Why do you love the world so much but not the people in it?”. Genes can also pass certain traits. And she’s still a Nora outcast, therefore she always had to deal with her problems alone. Not even a year ago in the in-game timeline, everybody hated her. So right now her attitude.. feels quite genuine.
I agree with the self-talking, though. While Nathan Drake was funny, she’s just constantly giving clues. “I should use my focus” I KNOW GIRL!

Edellus

It's a fantastic game and I really liked it. The world is so well realized and with so many things to do; assuming you want to do them. With so many biomes and different looking places. Looking at it and being in it never gets boring.

The combat, specially in harder difficulties, is hectic in the best way. You have to use different items and strategies to survive. That's besides the point that you are fighting robot dinasours and beasts (and you can make them fight between themselves).

The story is so cool and well explained. Despite being so out there, it still makes sense in how it all develops. It goes crazy sci-fi at around the end of the game, but even so, it is very entertaining.

The characters are all memorable and well written, with interesting stories. Aloy, in particular, is well developed in the area of letting other people in and relying on them. Although she is the chosen one (because of her DNA), that doesn't mean she has to save the world alone nor that she can do it alone. The way she gets to understand that is very well done and proper to her personality and the world around her.

It's also a visual and audio showcase all around. I've never taken pictures of any game as much as this one. It extremely rarely doesn't look like a work of art in every single frame. It still is the best looking game ever yet to me (considering graphic fidelity and art direction).

The only things I can think of they can substantially improve in the sequel are the melee combat and the weapons loadout. It would be great if we could make loadouts and easily switch to them when needed, instead of having to search and switch every weapon and item.

I've said this many times, but this is a game to take your time with and not to treat it like a checklist game. I suggest to follow the story quests and only do side content when you feel like changing the pace for a while. Otherwise you might get overwhelmed and make the game feel like a chore.

I feel like I write a wall of text every time I talk about this game. I guess I just really really like it and I can't help doing my best in recommending it.

P.S: Also, the DLC is totally worth it.

Krieger

Hopefully the 3rd game starts with the death of everyone and takes place 500 years in the future. I want to hunt and kill robot dinosaurs, that's it. I don't need a convoluted story and zero likeable characters for that.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
It’s the most beautifully crafted open world game EVER made. Point blank.

Never have I been so lost in a games world like in this game.

I took hundreds and hundreds of screenshots.

I was lost in this games world while everyone was going nuts over elden ring. Essentially myself and a few others in the OT. Good times

No one can tell me graphics don’t enhance an atmosphere/experience because this game is living proof of it.

Fan.Tastic.

Well shit, I was looking forward to starting it myself soon but if you like it it must be terrible.

Hestar69

platted it and it while its VERY pretty and the combats fun the story is BORING...I rather go back to school and learn that watch that games cutscenes... Long as you skip them it's enjoyable.

Leonidas

The graphics are pretty good (aside from all the artifacts). Playing it now just to get some value out of my PS+ Premium sub but it doesn't seem that great...

Outlier

Good game and ONLY good, overall.

Ruined by forgettable characters, MEH story, beautiful but uninteresting environments.

They made Erend useless and did Varl dirty. I was more upset than pleased, by the end.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You are the person who thinks as long as you get graphics you don’t care if the runs at 20FPS or the game only 3 hours long.

655970.jpg

kaz.png
kaz.png
kaz.png
kaz.png

And?

You gonna cry because I don't play the shitty little anime waifu weeabo crap you do?

Give me a 3 hour marvel that actually tries something new. and pushes tech and design forward. I'll play it at 20fps like the Matrix demo, I dont give a shit. I play games. Not numbers. You can stick to your generic 80hour long waifu crap. enjoy it. Dont expect me to.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Best game of the generation for me so far.
I am blown away by the shear amount of content this game has and at the high production level. Everything is just so incredible. The gameplay, exploration, narrative design, graphics, sound design. So much hunting and side quests all voiced too.

Hit the like and suscribe button!
I've been waiting for a pc version for a while now, and thankfully it's close!
Played zero dawn on base ps4, the framerate was barely tolerable, but god forbidden west was not. Been waiting since

Shtof

I am blown away by the shear amount of content this game has and at the high production level. Everything is just so incredible. The gameplay, exploration, narrative design, graphics, sound design. So much hunting and side quests all voiced too.
Yeah, I think most people just get overwhelmed with the amount of content and the depth of the combat.

Both Horizon games are kind of a slow the first 10 hours. The games get better as you master and invest in the world.

midnightAI

It's a fantastic game and I really liked it. The world is so well realized and with so many things to do; assuming you want to do them. With so many biomes and different looking places. Looking at it and being in it never gets boring.

The combat, specially in harder difficulties, is hectic in the best way. You have to use different items and strategies to survive. That's besides the point that you are fighting robot dinasours and beasts (and you can make them fight between themselves).

The story is so cool and well explained. Despite being so out there, it still makes sense in how it all develops. It goes crazy sci-fi at around the end of the game, but even so, it is very entertaining.

The characters are all memorable and well written, with interesting stories. Aloy, in particular, is well developed in the area of letting other people in and relying on them. Although she is the chosen one (because of her DNA), that doesn't mean she has to save the world alone nor that she can do it alone. The way she gets to understand that is very well done and proper to her personality and the world around her.

It's also a visual and audio showcase all around. I've never taken pictures of any game as much as this one. It extremely rarely doesn't look like a work of art in every single frame. It still is the best looking game ever yet to me (considering graphic fidelity and art direction).

The only things I can think of they can substantially improve in the sequel are the melee combat and the weapons loadout. It would be great if we could make loadouts and easily switch to them when needed, instead of having to search and switch every weapon and item.

I've said this many times, but this is a game to take your time with and not to treat it like a checklist game. I suggest to follow the story quests and only do side content when you feel like changing the pace for a while. Otherwise you might get overwhelmed and make the game feel like a chore.

I feel like I write a wall of text every time I talk about this game. I guess I just really really like it and I can't help doing my best in recommending it.

P.S: Also, the DLC is totally worth it.
Totally agree, As I was playing the game I completed all of the side content as I got to that area in the main story, that way there is much less back tracking and it just made sense with her travels. Also meant that when I had completed the game there was very little to do to platinum it.

I mean for people who are not against Ubi-style open world, its great. However there is this on going hate train of that style for years now.

IMO its just preference, some people likes Elden Ring style of "cool I found a place" type of experience, some likes "I just wanna relax and follow the guide" type of experience.

I'm ok with both, I mean if one day every game start to clone the former type of design, people will start to miss the latter.

----------------------

Edit: A side note, HFW is a perfection in terms of DDE framework, the design framework which focuses on user experience and storytelling (storytelling does not equals to plot, it focus on many things include Camera, Visual Language, Audio Language, etc. You could dislike its plot as much as you like, but its Storytelling technique is great) instead of just mechanic. And I believe this is where the salt came from, from that game dev drama last year, in their mind "We did everything to polish the user experience, while Elden Ring did nothing" is actually a valid point, it just shows game critics doesn't understand game design to appreciate diversity.
The problem with both genre's is that there are so many hidden things to do or use in crafting that you would never know because the games don't hint at anything outside of a few items.

So I end up spending half of my time on google asking "How I craft this?" or "Where can I find that weapon?"

Where as something like The Last of Us 2 subtly guides you in the direction of nearly all of the game's mechanics at one point or another while also making me feel like I'm naturally discovering hidden items and locations.

Hopefully open world games can evolve and bridge the gap somewhere in between.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I was really liking the game until the final act. They made some story decisions that are baffling.
Killing off Varl was not needed at all. They could have had a future storyline where they went back to the Nora lands and tried to spread the knowledge. Having the main antagonist be somebody who wanted to keep her as a lesban sex slave is also WTF plus Regalla was a greatly underused character.

Ammogeddon

It’s a visual masterpiece but a few hours in I found it boring and the characters were insufferable for the most part. Kind of similar to Spider-Man 2 in that respect.

Top Bottom