• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I'm hoping the game's gonna tell me soon what I've got to do with all these dog tags and the green shiny rocks I've been collecting ..

20 hours in and still Aloy just says something like guess i'll figure out what to do with these later.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So I'm hoping the game's gonna tell me soon what I've got to do with all these dog tags and the green shiny rocks I've been collecting ..

20 hours in and still Aloy just says something like guess i'll figure out what to do with these later.
The grrenlight (I don't know the engish name) can be used to upgrade weapons or be sold,you may want to keep the higher rarities though.The dog tags can be used in the arena shop I think? But I am not sure about it.

aclar00

Who ever talked about gore? Do you see gore in the gif i posted?

Try to replicate a natural dinamic animation with proper ragdoll without precanned shit like the gif in horizon, i challenge you.

Same thing for the melee, bodies are super fucking rigid in this game, they behawe like plank of woods...if there is some sort of ragdoll it must be the worse implementation i ever seen in my life.

Dinobots have better ragdoll thank to god, but they are still kinda rigid when they die.

I love the game to death but i can't ignore this.

Cant say i noticed the animations too much as im usually far away, but maybe Its the armaments everyone wears...them shits look restrictive as fuck, maybe not for combat, but for movements outside of that?

I do, however, recall seeing arrows 2-3 arrows stuck in the bodies after shooting them.

GymWolf

Cant say i noticed the animations too much as im usually far away, but maybe Its the armaments everyone wears...them shits look restrictive as fuck, maybe not for combat, but for movements outside of that?

I do, however, recall seeing arrows 2-3 arrows stuck in the bodies after shooting them.
Dude you have better ragdoll in souls games where some enemies are heavily armoured mediaval style, it is not a lore\logic decision.

After playing like 50 hours i think my problem is that there is this weird pause between when the precanned death animation end and the (bad) ragdoll kicks in, it make looks the whole thing super unnatural and robotic, compared to bow hit reactions\death animations in stuff like tlou saga and rdr2 (onestly the only 2 games that get realistic bow combat right).
Also sometimes the ragdoll doens't even kick in and you have bodies in these weird precanned positions that doens't match the ground at all, like tsushima.

Yeah arrows stay on the bodies, sometimes you have this weird dude still breathing with 2 arrows in his forehead :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

aclar00

Dude you have better ragdoll in souls games where some enemies are heavily armoured mediaval style, it is not a lore\logic decision.

After playing like 50 hours i think my problem is that there is this weird pause between when the precanned death animation end and the (bad) ragdoll kicks in, it make looks the whole thing super unnatural and robotic, compared to bow hit reactions\death animations in stuff like tlou saga and rdr2 (onestly the only 2 games that get realistic bow combat right).
Also sometimes the ragdoll doens't even kick in and you have bodies in these weird precanned positions that doens't match the ground at all, like tsushima.

Yeah arrows stay on the bodies, sometimes you have this weird dude still breathing with 2 arrows in his forehead :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Ewww Demon Souls kind of rag doll is atrocious in my opinion. Its one thing to have good death animations, its another thing for your character to cause a body to flail uncontrollably like its an actually doll and not a 200lb man in 60lbs of armor...well post death anyway. There should be a trigger to end ragdoll after contact with the ground.

GymWolf

Ewww Demon Souls kind of rag doll is atrocious in my opinion. Its one thing to have good death animations, its another thing for your character to cause a body to flail uncontrollably like its an actually doll and not a 200lb man in 60lbs of armor...well post death anyway. There should be a trigger to end ragdoll after contact with the ground.
Yeah i don't like how souls manage their death animations\ragdoll, it was just an example of ragdoll with heavy armoured enemies.

Still, i prefer the ragdoll in elden ring (they toned down the whole thing) compared to the one in horizon that look bad as hell half of the times or doesn't even turn on at all.

Tlou and rdr does ragdoll perfectly, you can still interact with the bodies but they are heavy so you barely move them, but they are not glued on the ground (even worst if you ask me).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
M7IRlEz.jpg

SEWuCOZ.jpg

Atrus

Gold Member
I like how the land itself changes based on Aloy's actions and the NPC dialogue expands as she goes from a stranger to their champion. Was fighting an Apex Frostclaw the other day along with some Fire Clawstriders and I'm pretty sure I noticed that being on fire can be negated by simply dousing yourself in the nearby stream.

Hard to experiment on VH since elemental damage can almost be one-shot kills at times depending on resistances. The armour from doing the salvage contracts enhances melee so it's not quite something I'm wearing yet.

I'm now at level 50 and investing more in upgrades to be able to take down the heavyweight creatures I need for uprades more easily. My Warden bow has some decently high tear to strip them of offenses and defenses, I have a sharpshot bow for longrange bombardment and assasinations and a Glowcast for Tear and Plasma.

Does anyone know if any of the parts only labelled as tradeable for Metal Shards are important in other ways (first section of Resources inventory)? I've been saving ingots, animals parts, and machine hearts just in case because HZD actually needed Machine Hearts for upgrades but they were still only labelled as tradeable for shards.

I don't want to sell them only to find they're actually used for the last tier of weapons/upgrades in the last part of the map.

Yeah i don't like how souls manage their death animations\ragdoll, it was just an example of ragdoll with heavy armoured enemies.

Still, i prefer the ragdoll in elden ring (they toned down the whole thing) compared to the one in horizon that look bad as hell half of the times or doesn't even turn on at all.

Tlou and rdr does ragdoll perfectly, you can still interact with the bodies but they are heavy so you barely move them, but they are not glued on the ground (even worst if you ask me).
Doesn’t rockstar use some crazy animation rag doll thing that reacts to shit in the world? I remember when I first played GTA 4 it was mind blowing

yes, yes it is. shit looks like a straight up 7/10 to me. everything from combat to graphics look awful. i'd bet my left nut if it wasnt for the enemy design/variety it wouldnt be scored as high. From are industry darlings simple as it gets.
I dunno I was looking forward to HFW way more than Elden ring and am finding Elden Ring to be far more enjoyable - but also I think it’s one of the best games I’ve played

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone else noticed Aloy doesn't seem to get wet once you get into the Forbidden West?
At the beginning when it rain or going in water, it would show her clothes and face etc was wet and she would dry off
Once in the Forbidden West she's doesn't even get rain droplets on her when it rains.
She just always dry 🤔
I feel cheated 😤
Unless it's a another bug, Which they still haven't fixed photo mode 🤬

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game has a lot of fucking bugs. Had to reload saves multiple times because I couldn't speak to characters or quests wouldn't finish. And currently have two broken quests that won't register as completed. One, the black box quest, which rewards you with a legendary weapon.

FFS...

Fox Mulder

This game has a lot of fucking bugs. Had to reload saves multiple times because I couldn't speak to characters or quests wouldn't finish. And currently have two broken quests that won't register as completed. One, the black box quest, which rewards you with a legendary weapon.

FFS...

The second verse side quest is broken for me after I beat the game and it has a trophy tied to it for the platinum.

I can’t progress at all and will have to do a new game or hope for a patch.

Last edited:

Rea

Anyone else noticed Aloy doesn't seem to get wet once you get into the Forbidden West?
At the beginning when it rain or going in water, it would show her clothes and face etc was wet and she would dry off
Once in the Forbidden West she's doesn't even get rain droplets on her when it rains.
She just always dry 🤔
I feel cheated 😤
Unless it's a another bug, Which they still haven't fixed photo mode 🤬
Me too, man. I thought I'm the only one. After new patch, it still the same.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

FFS...
It seems like you got real unlucky there. I've been playing for 80+ hours now and never encountered any major bug. Most of the guys I've talked to have had a similar bug-free experience.

The two "biggest" bugs I've seen so far in 80+ hours is:

1. For a second or two, I saw an NPC fly / jump really high.
2. One time, the music track stayed 3-4 seconds longer than it should have been and overlapped other music that was supposed to kick in.

That's it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm now getting a corrupted save notification whenever I quit the game. Not sure what that's about. It doesn't seem to actually be corrupted since it still works.

The issues with this game for me are starting to pile up.

I hope the next patch fixes these issues.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm now getting a corrupted save notification whenever I quit the game. Not sure what that's about. It doesn't seem to actually be corrupted since it still works.

My PS5 shut itself down after updating game to the latest patch. It had to undergo a “repair” procedure. Seems like quality control is in the gutter with today’s Sony.

adamsapple

I had that once at the start of the game, thankfully the game didn't crash out and just let me make a new manual save at that point.

It's been 20~ ish hours since then and I haven't had any other issue like that. I hope to fuck all iI don't lose so much progress now.

New update added some animation NPC glitches. They are running around in fastforward Sometimes.
Also Firegleam still not removing from map or changing colors.
Im missing one machine in the second row from the top next to a flying machine. Is there a way to know wich machine Ive not scanned yet?
I assume the last machine is the final boss. But Im holding off tip do other side stuff first.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This game has been super buggy to me but thankfully no game breaking bugs. Lots of black screens when coming out of the arena. They thankfully fixed this one. The game goes black every once in a while. Ive had to restart several checkpoints because of various bugs and freezes. Pop-in galore in some areas where other areas are perfectly fine even while flying.

The game needed a few more months in the oven. It is buggy in ways even Days Gone wasnt for me. And I played that game at launch and got the stuttering bug towards the end.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I love Aloy and the graphics but man I'm getting tired of all these tribe and clan stories. Shit is getting boring.
That's the best part of the game, man. The world feels so distinct and alive. The Forbidden West feels so different than the Zero Dawn because of all the clans and tribes. The stories reminded me that so much time has passed and these clans have so much history -- and I (Aloy) didn't see any of it because I'm not from here. It's all very interesting.

adamsapple

This game has been super buggy to me but thankfully no game breaking bugs. Lots of black screens when coming out of the arena. They thankfully fixed this one. The game goes black every once in a while. Ive had to restart several checkpoints because of various bugs and freezes. Pop-in galore in some areas where other areas are perfectly fine even while flying.

The game needed a few more months in the oven. It is buggy in ways even Days Gone wasnt for me. And I played that game at launch and got the stuttering bug towards the end.

You're on PS5 right ?

I thought that was a PS4 (pro) thing only so the game has a moment to stream in data.

Huh, weird that it also happens on PS5.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
That's the best part of the game, man. The world feels so distinct and alive. The Forbidden West feels so different than the Zero Dawn because of all the clans and tribes. The stories reminded me that so much time has passed and these clans have so much history -- and I (Aloy) didn't see any of it because I'm not from here. It's all very interesting.
For real this game has S tier worldbuilding.

J3nga

Nah man, I agree with him, tribes stuff is a snooze fest I couldn't care less about their problems, I would have liked to see them dig deeper into the far zenith storylines. But there is very little of that and they're not well explored and their lack of motivation bothered me, "oh we're running from nemesis, but we also want to kill people on earth". But why do they want to kill them? How will that help solving nemesis problem? Took me 40+ hours to complete the game and story was between "jesus this is so boring to I guess it's serviceable". Storyline is weaker aspect of this game even more so than the first one.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nah man, I agree with him, tribes stuff is a snooze fest I couldn't care less about their problems, I would have liked to see them dig deeper into the far zenith storylines. But there is very little of that and they're not well explored and their lack of motivation bothered me, "oh we're running from nemesis, but we also want to kill people on earth". But why do they want to kill them? How will that help solving nemesis problem? Took me 40+ hours to complete the game and story was it was between "jesus this is so boring to I guess it's serviceable".
I'd disagree. Regarding your argument against Far Zenith's motivation to kill people, there wasn't actually any motivation for them to kill people on Earth. They didn't want to kill anyone, but they didn't have any motivation for saving them either. They were very indifferent -- as long as they got the backup of GAIA. That's the only goal they had. They just wanted the backup and then leave the planet. Find another planet and terraform it with GAIA and settle down. They got mixed up because of Sylens (at first) as he mobilized Regalla's army and then by Aloy because of Beta and the GAIA's second Root Kernal.

J3nga

I'd disagree. Regarding your argument against Far Zenith's motivation to kill people, there wasn't actually any motivation for them to kill people on Earth. They didn't want to kill anyone, but they didn't have any motivation for saving them either. They were very indifferent -- as long as they got the backup of GAIA. That's the only goal they had. They just wanted the backup and then leave the planet. Find another planet and terraform it with GAIA and settle down. They got mixed up because of Sylens (at first) as he mobilized Regalla's army and then by Aloy because of Beta and the GAIA's second Root Kernal.
Erik guy clearly enjoys hurting people, Baddies in this game are for the sake of being baddies.

I am really getting tired of Aloys VA. She always sounds so serious and breathless all the time. Also, I wish there was a "mute Aloy in the open world" option so you wouldnt have to hear her comment on every goddamn thing.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game. Just got to Plainsong.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

The black screen thing happens for me too. Usually when I enter or leave a new area.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Erik guy clearly enjoys hurting people, Baddies in this game are for the sake of being baddies.
It kind of made sense though. The guy had a military background. After departure, he practiced hurting people and killing people in VR for one thousand years! He never actually killed one though, but he did rehearse it for a 1,000 years. That would mess you up. So when he is asked to kill Aloy, you bet he is going to enjoy it as he is finally getting to do it in real life.

Dr Bass

Any news on if the latest patch improved the performance mode at all? I know there is no reference to it in the notes …

GustavoLT

Any news on if the latest patch improved the performance mode at all? I know there is no reference to it in the notes …
Problably devs dont test their games on 65"+ oled tvs... major of people are playing on 20-30" 1080p monitors!
All I wanted is a 40fps 120hz resolution mode!

adamsapple

Can someone whose finished let me know how far/close I am to finishing the story?

I've gotten two of Gaia's modules and the latest big story mission had be rescue Beta and she is now with the gang in the Base.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I beat the main story, and I was originally going to try to max out all my weapons and fully explore and do every quest, but I honestly lost interest in doing all that. If there was some really cool reward for doing everything, I'd do it, but I really have no interest now. Especially since upgrading requires Apex versions of materials and apparently you need to kill a lot of regular machines to get them to spawn... which I don't feel like doing.

How did everyone here handle all of that? Did you try to max out and do every quest or did you just drop it and move on?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Can someone whose finished let me know how far/close I am to finishing the story?

I've gotten two of Gaia's modules and the latest big story mission had be rescue Beta and she is now with the gang in the Base.
About 2/3rd in i would say

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It kind of made sense though. The guy had a military background. After departure, he practiced hurting people and killing people in VR for one thousand years! He never actually killed one though, but he did rehearse it for a 1,000 years. That would mess you up. So when he is asked to kill Aloy, you bet he is going to enjoy it as he is finally getting to do it in real life.

Yep, he explains it all in exposition as the fight starts.

Top Bottom