• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Vick

Dude, i just can't. I'm at the shores lower far west and these graphics are just too much to handle.

No screenshot could do this game justice, switched to Resolution Mode to take some and the idea of playing something like this, let alone on a Console, is simply ridiculous. Guerrilla have no equals.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Fuck Shellsnappers at Very Hard + no Reticle. Fuck them. Damn contract took me half an hour and pissed me off to no end. Worst enemy ever. Wish i could smash it with a hammer right now.
Some tearblaster arrows get rid of the shell and then you have the weak spot exposed to do big damage.

GymWolf

What's the point of potions when I am always completely stuffed on medicinal berries and they heal me 100% every time I use them? Like I have hundreds of these things and never come close to running out, even in the most frantic battles. But there's an entire skill tree dedicated to using potions faster and I'm just thinking, why, when the berries just fill you up to 100 and don't even take time to use.
Not sure how it works on normal, vbut on very hard you can only replenish the barries stash 1 times during fights, so you end finishing all the health barries pretty fast in hard fights, that's why potions exist.

Psychostar

What's the point of potions when I am always completely stuffed on medicinal berries and they heal me 100% every time I use them? Like I have hundreds of these things and never come close to running out, even in the most frantic battles. But there's an entire skill tree dedicated to using potions faster and I'm just thinking, why, when the berries just fill you up to 100 and don't even take time to use.
What difficulty mode are you playing on? I am playing on "Very Hard" and the AI is so aggressive and punishing that I am constantly scraping by fights, and often repeating fights due to death. Unless you're going around blowing shit up and putting aside the part-breaking aspect of the game, I can't see how you are not struggling when it comes to health management. I consider myself quite a good player yet this game mode puts me in a difficult spot often enough, even now at at Level 39 with purple gear all across. With that tree nearly maxed out, I have to say it was one of the most beneficial trees to hit early in my case ^-^;

Psychostar

Not sure how it works on normal, vbut on very hard you can only replenish the barries stash 1 times during fights, so you end finishing all the health barries pretty fast in hard fights, that's why potions exist.
Glad I'm not the only one stuggling..Hahaha, I am too far into the game to convince myself to drop a difficulty level at this stage but I think if anyone going in fresh asked me what difficulty to recommend, I'd tell them to just play it on Hard :p

Shouta

They're very useful on Hard or higher since enemies can just gobble your health with attacks. The potions also overheal you though so you can have extra HP as a buffer before a fight.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Level 50 and have been sidetracked the whole time. Currently not as far as the far left of the map (where bass fish is found). About 60% total completion, I'm glad I'm not rushing this. Ultra hard was the correct way to go.

Allforce

What difficulty mode are you playing on? I am playing on "Very Hard" and the AI is so aggressive and punishing that I am constantly scraping by fights, and often repeating fights due to death. Unless you're going around blowing shit up and putting aside the part-breaking aspect of the game, I can't see how you are not struggling when it comes to health management. I consider myself quite a good player yet this game mode puts me in a difficult spot often enough, even now at at Level 39 with purple gear all across. With that tree nearly maxed out, I have to say it was one of the most beneficial trees to hit early in my case ^-^;

Oh well I'm just on Normal so I guess that's a very different game than on "Very Hard".

That was another thing I was wondering about, people complaining about how difficult this game is and I'm literally breezing through fights with even the biggest machines with just my upgraded starter Hunters Bow. I took down the very first Thunderjaw I saw with just that bow and some poison arrows and thought "Damn the Thunderjaws in the first game were fucking MONSTROUS and took some real skill to defeat". I also played that on Normal.

I guess I'm just out of the loop and everyone is playing on the much higher difficulties. I'm a "play on Normal this is what the devs designed the game around" type.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Oh well I'm just on Normal so I guess that's a very different game than on "Very Hard".

That was another thing I was wondering about, people complaining about how difficult this game is and I'm literally breezing through fights with even the biggest machines with just my upgraded starter Hunters Bow. I took down the very first Thunderjaw I saw with just that bow and some poison arrows and thought "Damn the Thunderjaws in the first game were fucking MONSTROUS and took some real skill to defeat". I also played that on Normal.

I guess I'm just out of the loop and everyone is playing on the much higher difficulties. I'm a "play on Normal this is what the devs designed the game around" type.
If you feel the game is too easy you can bump it up and likewise if you do and aren't enjoying yourself then bump it down. Multiple difficulties are there for a reason.

I played Normal on HZD and wanted to 100% trophies so I recently finished it on Ultra Hard. I was sharper as a result going into HFW so the difficulty doesn't feel as much of a leap for me. To each their own

Psychostar

You should definitely try a harder setting, even if just for the novelty. There's no trophy for winning it on any difficulty so nothing to lose. I just swapped to normal to see the difference and it's huge. Stealth seems more enjoyable on lower settings because it is effective ( on very hard their health bars are too high to stealth kill, even with max upgrades) . The combat is more entertaining I found on the harder difficulties though as they seem so much smarter altogether. Guerilla did a great job with the Ai here. :)

Vick

ALOY FINALLY GETS WET :messenger_weary::messenger_weary:
jack-nicholson-jack.gif

Time to live on the shores baby.

Vick

Not only Aloy gets wet, they definitely reduced the shadows pop-in issues i saw after patch 1.07. That's fucking GREAT.
Can't say it's on the same level as prior 1.07 before doing some tests, but it's definitely much better. Performance Mode also looked blurrier after the previous damn patch, and that's addressed as well. Man i love Guerrilla.

Bojji

Just finished the story, damn epic ending.

I wondered how they are gonna make third game when the story of this one will finish, now I know... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Overall, very good game.

Last edited:

Sygma

Just did the greenhouse so I can now seek all the collectibles on the map and I can't help but think that the game is a real letdown compared to the 1st. Locations aren't that great, anything outside of side quest category is basic busy work and the pacing is just bad. Like all these missions between lvls 15-25 combined with the arena and then you don't have so many left once you're done with it

Also, graphically speaking it looks nice but the art direction is not inspired enough for my liking, guerilla outdid themselves with frozen wilds, thus I expected more in a direct sequel. Like the fact that the only interesting areas visually speaking are at the far end of the map is just weird considering how consistent zero dawn was compared to it

All in all pretty glad I didn't buy the collector, game released unfinished and it shows. Really digging all the new combat options and the swimming sections however, the tall necks bits are ace too. Not a single cauldron is on par with frozen wilds's and overall outside of iota they're kinda forgettable too

Last edited:

rob305

Credits rolled after around 68 hours, what a fantastic game. This will likely be my GOTY. Ended up being level 48, did all the side missions and most errands. Now I got to do do all the rebel camps/outposts and cauldrons for the plat...

Please HELP!

I'm on my last salvage mission and its the Rollerback Salvage Contract and I can only retrieve 4/5 items after I've beaten the Shellsnapper. What am I doing wrong please?☹

Just started this game finally. It's very pretty so far on PS5, but why would they make Resolution the default mode.

We are at the point where 60 FPS should be a mandatory minimum. I played a bit at Favor Framerate, then checked out Favor Resolution and seriously questioned why this option is available at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just started this game finally. It's very pretty so far on PS5, but why would they make Resolution the default mode.

We are at the point where 60 FPS should be a mandatory minimum. I played a bit at Favor Framerate, then checked out Favor Resolution and seriously questioned why this option is available at all.
Change your ps5 settings to favor performance and every game will default to performance.

Interfectum

Rolled credits.

+ Amazing Graphics
+ <3 Aloy
+ Music
+ Fun battles
+ The Las Vegas storyline

- Open World checklist gaming ZzzZz
- Zero Dawn's story was way better
- Lame ending twist (no no no THIS is what REALLY is going on) and weak main bad guys

8/10

Last edited:
89 hours in and Aloy just gave birth to a Tallneck.

I still have a few more drones to jump on and I will have done just about everything. (That I want to do). Ive skipped hunting grounds, mele challenges and the entire arena.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I have an interesting idea for the next one.

I think that Nemesis should take a human form that looks just like Aloy and commit terrible acts which turns most people against her. She goes from Savior to wanted criminal so not only must she defeat Nemesis but she must also clear her name. At the end she fights an evil clone of herself

I think I'm finally jiving with this game. I really just kinda felt bored with this game for a good while but I just got to the Vegas area and I'm starting to really enjoy it. I still think they went way overboard on the different weapons/ammo types/abilities (I dont use probably half of the ones I have unlocked) but the core combat is still pretty fun, if a bit too chaotic at times with seemingly unavoidable attacks.

iorek21

After playing the hell out of Elden Ring and now returning to this, I gotta say... Forbidden West is janky as fuck. Almost everything here feels weird or not really working properly: horseback riding is weird, melee combat is weird, ranged combat is weird, climbing is weird, Aloy just feels... heavy.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it lacks polish, and a lot of it. Zero Dawn also had a lot of jank, but after 5 years one would expect that Guerilla would get it better.

mitchman

Gold Member
After playing the hell out of Elden Ring and now returning to this, I gotta say... Forbidden West is janky as fuck. Almost everything here feels weird or not really working properly: horseback riding is weird, melee combat is weird, ranged combat is weird, climbing is weird, Aloy just feels... heavy.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it lacks polish, and a lot of it. Zero Dawn also had a lot of jank, but after 5 years one would expect that Guerilla would get it better.
Sounds like you play on PS4 or in resolution mode, but you're not saying so we'll assume PS4.

Mossybrew

This is a really strange take. Ranged combat feels weird? What are you smoking my dude. Jank is not a word I'd ever use to describe this game with one exception that pretty much everyone agrees on, the climbing can be awkward. Everything else feels like it's working exactly as intended and is supremely polished.

Last edited:

shubik

This is a really strange take. Ranged combat feels weird? What are you smoking my dude. Jank is not a word I'd ever use to describe this game with one exception that pretty much everyone agrees on, the climbing can be awkward. Everything else feels like it's working exactly as intended and is supremely polished.

the only thing I would ad is getting stuck in geometry while walking. I feel like other big SONY titles do it much better and overall more smoothly.

But besides those two points I agree. This is not jank

iorek21

Yeah, everything combat related feels weird, you can get stuck in every stone and bush, enemies (from low level ones to the strongest of them) can stagger you infinitely until you die without you even being able to recover, aiming is just... ugh.

I think arrows should have the same reticle that bombs have, it's way more precise than the current version; for a game that basically requires you to be precise with the weakspots, aiming should translate to that need.

GymWolf

Melee is pretty janky sometimes, but shooting is great most of the times.

Especially compared to the ranged combat in elden ring, since the dude was coming from that game.

Getting stuck in geometry was a problem aswell, not super common, but it happened, but then again, ER has some slippery unprecise platforming on horse and on foot, so...

But yeah, it feels generally slightly less polished than your gow, tlou2 or even spiderman.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
after 40 hours in this game I'm finding I have a very love hate relationship with it.

love:
The Graphics in 90% of the game.
The character motion
The overall story
The colorful nature of everything (so glad this isn't an ugly beige/brown/grey game)
The variety of locations and size of the map, feels really good
Aloy herself, I love the character.

Hate:
The inconsistency of sidequest presentations. I feel some are written and animated by interns on staff or something, the main quest usually has some amazing character moments, good dialogue and mostly well cut together presentations. Some of the side quest though? Woof they are bad, like playing a completely different game. Sometimes the cinematics become super poorly framed/motion and movements in interactions starts looking bad, the writing falls of a cliff, and the overall presentation just feels like armature hour. I just played one side quest that had me find out why one of the rivers was still poisonous, going to the top off a water fall and seeing rebels have killing machines there and blocked the flow of fresh water to dilude out the river below. God the presentation was horrendous. Like someone built that sidequest in 20 minutes and called it a day. At one point during it Aloy makes a weird shrugging motion but the camera cuts off right as she's doing it, it looked so bad. I've seen this same issue on so many of the sidequest. The game is already jammed packed, I wish they'd drop these stupid filler quest if they arent going to give them any polish.

The amount of filler junk. We complain about UBI doing it, Horrizon is just as guilty (if not more).

Controls can be tightened up ALOT. Melee combat in the game is no fun, I only play range because of it.

I feel like they should cut down or combine a few weapons. Ammo types should determine a bow's statues, not the bow itself

I'm going to keep playing till the end, I just don't know if the post game will hold me if all the Sidequest keep feeling like trash bin plots.

Markio128

Yeah, everything combat related feels weird, you can get stuck in every stone and bush, enemies (from low level ones to the strongest of them) can stagger you infinitely until you die without you even being able to recover, aiming is just... ugh.

I think arrows should have the same reticle that bombs have, it's way more precise than the current version; for a game that basically requires you to be precise with the weakspots, aiming should translate to that need.
A poor workman always blames his tools.

iorek21

A poor workman always blames his tools.

Right, what's the tool that makes you not get stuck in a random bush or get stunlocked even by low level enemies? Or better yet, what's the bow that correctly predicts when a machine suddenly does a 180º in positioning due to poor behavior programing?

It's not that hard to accept that this game has some issues that makes it less enjoyable, every game has.

MikeM

Platinumed the game last week. Loved it and sad i’m done

Why didn’t they flesh out Tilda more?? She was one of the most intriguing characters. I want to know everything about what they did and how they did it.

Top Bottom