• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Tribes of the Forbidden West Trailer

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah but I honestly thought they could have presented it better. Not everyone is going to pay attention to logs and audio logs. Like I completely missed out on Gaia/Hades struggle for authority.
No offense, but there is no other way to narrate a story that span for 2000+ years between past and modern days without audio logs and holograms, there is simply no other way in any form of media or any other scifi operas if we remain on the "realistic" side of things.
Many great moments in videogames were narrated via audiologs\holograms, i remember when in halo 1 you discover the flood or the audiologs in bioshock 1.

it can be too much too handle for some type of players, but it was the only way to handle so many information and microdetails to make everything believable.

Horizon story is not perfect, but the delivery method was never a problem for me because devs can only do that, and some of the holograms\audiologs were fucking great and emotional.
like when child aloy see the dad cheering his son for his birthday or when ted faro kills all the alphas

Too bad that you missed how hades works with gaia, that was one of the most interesting pieces of information.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Triceratops dinobot

Horizon_Forbidden_West_-_Tribes_of_the_Forbidden_West_PS5_PS4_-_YouTube.png

Bonus
DswPweF.gif
About this one, i think that he unified his horns to work the terrain and then he separe them to charge in combat, i think that both the pic and the gif are the same animal.

Last edited:

zkorejo

No offense, but there is no other way to narrate a story that span for 2000+ years between past and modern days without audio logs and holograms, there is simply no other way in any form of media or any other scifi operas if we remain on the "realistic" side of things.

it can be too much too handle for some type of players, but it was the only way to handle so many information and microdetails to make everything believable.

Horizon story is not perfect, but the delivery method was never a problem for me because devs can only do that, and some of the holograms\audiologs were fucking great and emotional.
like when child aloy see the dad cheering his son for his birthday or when ted faro kills all the alphas
Hm. Yes I don't mind the logs and audio logs. But more cutscenes explaining the important parts would have been better. The entire game you are like "what's happening, something is wrong gotta fix".. Last few hours they dump all this information on you then the game ended. Would have preferred if they sprinkled it throughout the game.

Played the game when it came out. Can't even remember all the details. But I remember the main plot. The last few hours were really good but kind of depressing tbh.

The stuff with Sylen could be cool. This new tribe could be cool.

Lore and history and AI is all fine, but the game badly needed more depth for other characters other than Aloy. Can't even remember anyone else tbh except Sylen (probably because it was a known face).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
10 min, but yeah, they showed glider, grapple hook, free climb, new weapons, new melee system against humans, new spear anime AF moves etc.
I mean, we know how theses videos go. It has been this way for over a decade. They show gameplay, people concern with "what about the story, what do you do" then they show story, amnesia sets in, "what about gameplay". then they show new world design, more amnesia... every, single, time.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hm. Yes I don't mind the logs and audio logs. But more cutscenes explaining the important parts would have been better. The entire game you are like "what's happening, something is wrong gotta fix".. Last few hours they dump all this information on you then the game ended. Would have preferred if they sprinkled it throughout the game.

Played the game when it came out. Can't even remember all the details. But I remember the main plot. The last few hours were really good but kind of depressing tbh.

The stuff with Sylen could be cool. This new tribe could be cool.

Lore and history and AI is all fine, but the game badly needed more depth for other characters other than Aloy. Can't even remember anyone else tbh except Sylen (probably because it was a known face).
The problem with open worlds is that everyone has a different pace.

For me it wasn't an info dump in the last hours but in the last 25 hours because i was doing sidequest, cauldrons, grinding etc, so for me the game was perfectly paced, also i was in love with all the lore, the tribes etc. so even the most stupid side quest had me hooked (not to talk about how much i loved the combat).

You are right about the side-characters, sylens is by far the best and better written character, then there is aloy that is so-so, then erend, nil and some others but those are hardly unforgettable for most people (they are to me because i was super invested in the game).

Hopefully, now that the old days story is almost done and the world was presented, they have more room for focusing on the characters this time.

To be perfectly honest, if i have to chose between a great story with few good characters and a so-so story with many interesting characters, i still prefer the first way, hopefully they are gonna achieve both this time.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Haven't they shown some with the 30 minute gameplay reveal?

When Perfect Dark (N64) was nearing release I remember talking to my friends about the different crazy weapons, the new bots, the counter ops mode etc...It felt like a properly ambitious sequel. It was exciting.

The marketing lead up with Forbidden West feels more like "It's Goldeneye but now the bad guys are South American drug lords and some of them carry shotguns which is...cool?"

The people that aren't over the moon with what they've seen from FW want to see some big risks, not slightly more of what we liked about ZD. It feels pretty conservative.

DeepSpace5D

The problem with open worlds is that everyone has a different pace.

For me it wasn't an info dump in the last hours but in the last 25 hours because i was doing sidequest, cauldrons, grinding etc, so for me the game was perfectly paced, also i was in love with all the lore, the tribes etc. so even the most stupid side quest had me hooked (not to talk about how much i loved the combat).

You are right about the side-characters, sylens is by far the best and better written character, then there is aloy that is so-so, then erend, nil and some others but those are hardly unforgettable for most people (they are to me because i was super invested in the game).

Hopefully, now that the old days story is almost done and the world was presented, they have more room for focusing on the characters this time.

To be perfectly honest, if i have to chose between a great story with few good characters and a so-so story with many interesting characters, i still prefer the first way, hopefully they are gonna achieve both this time.
Nil is such a gangster.

I chose not to duel with him and when he showed up for the final battle against the Eclipse, I knew the war was already won.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
When Perfect Dark (N64) was nearing release I remember talking to my friends about the different crazy weapons, the new bots, the counter ops mode etc...It felt like a properly ambitious sequel. It was exciting.

The marketing lead up with Forbidden West feels more like "It's Goldeneye but now the bad guys are South American drug lords and some of them carry shotguns which is...cool?"

The people that aren't over the moon with what they've seen from FW want to see some big risks, not slightly more of what we liked about ZD. It feels pretty conservative.

aloy-horizon-forbidden-west.gif

DarlingPowerlessCats-size_restricted.gif

what.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Many great moments in videogames were narrated via audiologs\holograms, i remember when in halo 1 you discover the flood or the audiologs in bioshock 1.

Too bad that you missed how hades works with gaia, that was one of the most interesting pieces of information.
I thought the backstory was absolutely fantastic and enthralling while the tribe drama was boring and just uninteresting.

That said, watching holograms is not my idea of fun. They shouldve created cutscenes and presented them as flashbacks. The ending cutscene was really well done, but you have to wonder if the emotional impact wouldve been even greater if you saw Elizabeth during actual cutscenes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I can only tell you how I view the game, but limited traversal item, underwater gameplay and a new AoE weapon doesn't get me salivating. It makes me think "Oh, so it's like a better version of Zero Dawn." Your two gifs could be Zero Dawn DLC.

The graphics are great, but I don't really care about graphics so I'm left with a somewhat lukewarm impression.

There aren't two camps. There's a ton of middle ground between "OMG Forbidden West directly into my veins!" and "Horizon sucks".

Last edited:

zkorejo

I thought the backstory was absolutely fantastic and enthralling while the tribe drama was boring and just uninteresting.

That said, watching holograms is not my idea of fun. They shouldve created cutscenes and presented them as flashbacks. The ending cutscene was really well done, but you have to wonder if the emotional impact wouldve been even greater if you saw Elizabeth during actual cutscenes.
Exactly what I felt. Holographic representations made sense but good visual cutscenes would have been much better. Give Aloy a VR headset or something idc how they explain it.

The parts where the game had cutscenes were silly squabbles of ignorant people.

I can only tell you how I view the game, but limited traversal item, underwater gameplay and a new AoE weapon doesn't get me salivating. It makes me think "Oh, so it's like a better version of Zero Dawn." Your two gifs could be Zero Dawn DLC.

The graphics are great, but I don't really care about graphics so I'm left with a somewhat lukewarm impression.

There aren't two camps. There's a ton of middle ground between "OMG Forbidden West directly into my veins!" and "Horizon sucks".

“Hey guys, we know you loved horizon zero dawn so for the sequel we made it God of War, because we really wanted to take risks. God of War Ragnarok the sequel to horizon zero dawn out later in 2022”

Yeah… You just don’t like horizon lol

Anytime someone calls a sequel to a game DLC i know they’re posting in bad faith

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

With the mediocre level of digital acting they had, i think that having full-on cutscenes could have look more silly than the holograms for dramatic scenes...

And there is just too much lore and informations in the horizon zero dawn facilities, too much holograms and audiolog to convert in complete cutscenes, that's why i say that it was the only way with the budget\time they had, not even rdr2\tlou2 have cutscenes for everything, and the game already has a lot of those for modern days story bits\action scenes.

And to make the plot believable they needed all those details, you can't really cut anything because they tried to cover all the possible plot holes of a story that span for 2000 years, to me it was a positive point, not a negative one.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

Go Away GIF by Bounce

With the mediocre level of digital acting they had, i think that having full-on cutscenes could have look more silly than the holograms for dramatic scenes...

And there is just too much lore and informations in the horizon zero dawn facilities, too much holograms and audiolog to convert in complete cutscenes, that's why i say that it was the only way with the budget\time they had, not even rdr2\tlou2 have cutscenes for everything, and the game already has a lot of those for modern days story bits\action scenes.

And to make the plot believable they needed all those details, you can't really cut anything because they tried to cover all the possible plot holes of a story that span for 2000 years, to me it was a positive point, not a negative one.

Plus I think the holograms made more sense creatively. You're meant be learning about this ancient civilization from Aloy's perspective. Cutscenes would just defeat that purpose

SSfox

I mean, we know how theses videos go. It has been this way for over a decade. They show gameplay, people concern with "what about the story, what do you do" then they show story, amnesia sets in, "what about gameplay". then they show new world design, more amnesia... every, single, time.
I don't get why people keep asking for more and more and more gampeplay videos or more infos about story for an unreleased game, and i noticed that many modern devs fall into that trap, to me one of the best thing about RDR2 is that Rockstar showed minimum about the game, i mean they still showed a lot but not too much at the same time, which make the discovery and experiencing the game more awesome, at least imo. God Of War was also a great example of a game that show quite enough while not showing too much, then you have games like DMCV or FF15 that showed too much in their marketing campaign (fortunately i skipped many of those, specially FF15 which made the experience of the game was better)

Last edited:

SSfox

I agree. People claiming BEST GRAPHICS EVA are very annoying. Looks great but hold your horses with the hyperbole.
Yup it's annoying this masturbation about the graphics all day. I appreciate awesome graphics for sure (i mean who don't), but a game is nothing if the other aspects of the game don't follow. (Crytek was a good example on this)

And tbh when it comes to Horizon FW, the graphics aspects of the game is personally my least concern about this game, since i have no doubt it's gonna be easy one of the best in that area, while it's interesting to see the improvements on visual and graphics of the game, but it's imo gonna be more interesting to see the improvements in the other aspects of game since it was in some of those other aspects where the first game was lacking, definitely not the graphics and visuals.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As the sequel to one of the best new gaming IPs of the last decade, Horizon Forbidden West is easily one of the most hotly anticipated games of 2022, and excitement surrounding it is ramping up exponentially as it approaches its launch.

Of course, we, too, can't wait to jump in and see what Guerrilla's newest open world adventure has on offer- to that end, here, we're going to talk about just a few things that we can't wait to in Horizon Forbidden West when it launches.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So ... is it actually confirmed that I can get the PS4 version and the upgrade on this game is free now to PS5?

If that's true, I'll actually get this at launch since I don't want to pay $70.

Crazy policy if true. $60 for PS4 and PS5 versions. $70 for PS5 version.

I'm playing it now. It's better than I expected.
It is true and they keep deleting those questions off of the Amazon listing because it is true. I have prime but will buy it elsewhere because they are such dishonest and manipulative cunts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom