• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many Square Enix published games have you purchased in the past 12 months?

How many Square Enix published games have you purchased since November of last year?

• Total voters
Since around November of last year, I've been consistently purchasing Square Enix releases for Switch and PS4/PS5. There's something about their games that resonates with me, whether they are remakes, remasters, sequels, or new IPs. Most of them have provided me with good to fantastic experiences, and even the ones that fall short still possess a certain charm that makes them enjoyable (well, except Balan Wonderwold I guess).

But let's not dwell on my rambling any longer. Here's a list of all the Square Enix games I've bought since November of last year by category (some are double dips as I've already owned them digitally on other systems from which I moved on):

Action RPG

810DWL91k+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91pDtcV5R5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81GfrTHJ2YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81gbZxxYL7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
816OnsqHrML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

JRPG

811POmLdRfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
image.png
718-06oPgdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81W8CAno24L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81bee0LbkcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
917Y6SyMqcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91KzMhN-e2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
51fl1xl8t8L._AC_SL1124_.jpg

HD-2D/Tactictal RPG

71jAp9LZcBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91bHxuDQvmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81qsCUo5w0L._SL1500_.jpg
817FBSBwuhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
91GYvOnGn3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81wGKjwP4FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71ziP31I7PL._AC_SL1149_.jpg

Hall of Shame 😔

81x8aynieRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well, so these are all my Squeenix game purchases. What's yours GAF? Really curious to finding out!

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
To be honest, not enough.

-Live a Live 🧬
-Star Ocean 2 🌊
-Tactics Ogre Reborn 👹
-Crisis Core Reunion 😮
-Chrono Cross Remaster 🤞
-Final Fantasy XVI 😇

Those are rookie numbers , but whatever.

I still need to get around to buying those Front Mission remakes and much more. SE has been on fire recently.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll just limit it to 2023 releases:
  • Octopath Traveler II (February)
  • Paranormasight (March)
I bought like 6-8 games of theirs in 2022 though.

Current wishlist:
  • Powerwash Simulator
  • Little Goody Two Shoes

YukiOnna

4 I think? they were all titles I enjoy/enjoyed greatly, so the sentiment of Square Enix bad always feels alien for me. Honestly a high number for me to buy in general since it's dictated by what SE releases in a way.

Hudo

I still sitting on the fence when it comes to Triangle Strategy. I love FF Tactics and I love how it evokes the same feeling. But I am concerned about the replayability of the game and whether the visual novel parts of the game are overly long or not. But then again, I loved 13 Sentinels...

So, where's the FF Tactics remake that Jason Schreier was/is so sure about? Did the dude pull shit out of his ass yet again?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I still sitting on the fence when it comes to Triangle Strategy. I love FF Tactics and I love how it evokes the same feeling. But I am concerned about the replayability of the game and whether the visual novel parts of the game are overly long or not. But then again, I loved 13 Sentinels...

So, where's the FF Tactics remake that Jason Schreier was/is so sure about? Did the dude pull shit out of his ass yet again?
It's got probably the most incentive for replayability of any RPG or SRPG I've ever played. There are major choices that take you down completely different paths. There's full parties of characters I never got because I went the other way.

The game is very dialogue heavy but you can always skip it, and you'll see different stuff with different choices.

poodaddy

Nada.

I want Stranger of Paradise and that Crisis Core remake at some point, but I'm honestly in no rush and Square Enix doesn't seem to do big enough discounts that get me interested these days. On PS5 I would like to play through FFXVI, but it sounds like I'd be well served for waiting on that to come to PS Plus at some point so I'll wait on that too.

Other than those, I'm not really interested in their output these days.

Changed my vote from 0 to 1 when I remembered I bought Chrono Cross when they fixed it. I always loved that game, and I honestly don't get the hate it gets. I honestly think Trigger and Chross are two of the best games of all time, certainly some of my favorite.

If Square Enix ever recaptures what made them so special to me in the 90's, then I'd be buying up everything they put out.

LakeOf9

Let's see:
  1. Octopath Traveler II: GOAT
  2. Star Ocean 2R: looks great
  3. Final Fantasy XVI: Fucking sucked
  4. FF Pixel Remaster: GOAT'd
I already owned Live a Live from before, got NEO TWEWY at launch (or whenever the Steam launch was anyway), have no interest in Kingdom Hearts, kinda wanted Forspoken but not at full price, am interested in the VNs, but later on a sale, and definitely want to pick up Tactics Ogre and Crisis Core Reunion sometime.

It's a good list, I got more Square Enix games in these last twelve months than games from any other publisher except Nintendo, which, well

Hudo

It's got probably the most incentive for replayability of any RPG or SRPG I've ever played. There are major choices that take you down completely different paths. There's full parties of characters I never got because I went the other way.

The game is very dialogue heavy but you can always skip it, and you'll see different stuff with different choices.
Thanks, man. I will probably take the plunge, then.

World Ends With You sequel needs to sell more for. Such a shame it didn't get enough recognition Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives
Yeah, I've done my part and bought it and told all my weeb friends to purchase it as well, but other than that there's not much else one person can do...
It's been on PS+ Extra for a few months now so maybe more people will be giving it a chance (at least that's what I'm hoping).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Thanks to my experience with Final Fantasy XII, zero.

Last Square Enix product I bought was Chrono Trigger for the DS in the 2000's.

Jadsey

It’s a really fantastic game. I’d highly recommend it.

Paltheos

Bought? 0
Played (of the listed)? 2

Some SE purchases are due soon though. I really want to try one of these 2DHD games, of which there are many options right now. From everything that I've heard, reception around the latest (Star Ocean 2) seems to be the best.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I feel like Square really doesn't get enough credit for it, but I think they're the most interesting that they've been in 25 years. Their output these days reminds me of what they pumped out during the PS1 era, and that is a high compliment. You've got the the AAA titles from Final Fantasy, which I've really liked, but then you have a ton of AA games that are really well-made and that make a genuine attempt to do something novel. Octopath Traveler 2, for example, kind of shocked me with just how good it was. And we're seeing genre diversity from them again - it's not all turn-based RPGs or all action RPGs - you're getting a mix, along with stuff like Stranger of Paradise that at least tries to be a little off-beat. You do have some absolute duds like Forspoken, but that's fine. Focusing on the good content they've put out, there's a lot of it.

I'm really happy to see them back on track, and I hope the upwards trajectory continues. Was really a sad time watching them go mobile and completely shit the bed on real games for a while.

Sleepwalker

They took my lunch over the past year

PS5

- FF7R Intergrade
- FF Crisis Core
- FFXVI
- Star Ocean the second story R
- Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Switch:

- Super Mario RPG, this counts? Idk
- FF7 + FF8 remastered double pack

Steam

-FFVII
- FFVIII remastered
-FF X and X-2
-FF XIII trilogy
-FF XV
- Strangers of Paradise
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided

Last edited:
I feel like Square really doesn't get enough credit for it, but I think they're the most interesting that they've been in 25 years. Their output these days reminds me of what they pumped out during the PS1 era, and that is a high compliment. You've got the the AAA titles from Final Fantasy, which I've really liked, but then you have a ton of AA games that are really well-made and that make a genuine attempt to do something novel. Octopath Traveler 2, for example, kind of shocked me with just how good it was. And we're seeing genre diversity from them again - it's not all turn-based RPGs or all action RPGs - you're getting a mix, along with stuff like Stranger of Paradise that at least tries to be a little off-beat. You do have some absolute duds like Forspoken, but that's fine. Focusing on the good content they've put out, there's a lot of it.

I'm really happy to see them back on track, and I hope the upwards trajectory continues. Was really a sad time watching them go mobile and completely shit the bed on real games for a while.

thank-you-the-office.gif

They're AA output has been very good for the past several years and most people including the gaming press are sleeping on these releases (how Octopath Traveler 2 didn't get any nominations at TGA boggles my mind). Although it's fair to say it's mostly Square's fault for not marketing these titles hard enough or even at all (e.g NEO: TWEWY).

After the disappointing remaster of Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age, I only bought Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins.
The only reason I bought it is because it is made by somebody else. That somebody is Koei Tecmo's Team Ninja.

team_ninja_logoHD-1536x864.jpg

Last edited:
They took my launch over the past year

PS5

- FF7R Intergrade
- FF Crisis Core
- FFXVI
- Star Ocean the second story R
- Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Switch:

- Super Mario RPG, this counts? Idk
- FF7 + FF8 remastered double pack

Steam

-FFVII
- FFVIII remastered
-FF X and X-2
-FF XIII trilogy
-FF XV
- Strangers of Paradise
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Nice list! Both Square and Nintendo have been a bit secretive with Super Mario RPG prior to its release this week, and I think that Square contracted ArtePiazza to develop it, but Nintendo is publishing it.

Oh and funny thing is that I recently bought 2 sealed copies of Deus Ex Mankind Divided in order to get better price on some other games I wanted at a local game store and I totally forgot that it was published by Square.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
thank-you-the-office.gif

They're AA output has been very good for the past several years and most people including the gaming press are sleeping on these releases (how Octopath Traveler 2 didn't get any nominations at TGA boggles my mind). Although it's fair to say it's mostly Square's fault for not marketing these titles hard enough or even at all (e.g NEO: TWEWY).
Yeah this is really more a story of last year. They had an avalanche of quality AA games. A Voice of Cards trilogy. Dungeon Encounters from Ito himself after 30 years in the janitor closet. I bought them all except Valkyrie Elysium. I think I got literally every other one.

They supposedly didn't sell that well though.

Sleepwalker

Nice list! Both Square and Nintendo have been a bit secretive with Super Mario RPG prior to its release this week, and I think that Square contracted ArtePiazza to develop it, but Nintendo is publishing it.

Oh and funny thing is that I recently bought 2 sealed copies of Deus Ex Mankind Divided in order to get better price on some other games I wanted at a local game store and I totally forgot that it was published by Square.
Ty! Still to dive much into their HD-2D offerings, I dont really like playing them on PS5 on the big screen, but my hands cramp with the switch haha, the portal so far has been great for star ocean so ill look into other rpgs I missed.

Haha yeah, always a bit weird to me how they also published tomb raider and superhero games like avengers (ugh) and the surprisingly awesome guardians of the galaxy.

skit_data

FFXVI, the FF7R Integrade DLC and the Final Fantasy collection. They are probably the publisher whose games I've spent most on this year I think, which is a bit surprising. Definitely getting FF7 Rebirth as well so yeah, surprisingly enough they are probably the publisher second to Playstation I've spent most on this gen.

Astral Dog

only FFVII Crisis Core HD, i wanted to play the music game but at a discount, would have bought FFXVI if i had a PS5 though

But overall i have some of those games FFXII,Nier Automata,FFVIIR,FFXV ,TWEWY2

I like what Square Enix makes and they have released real classics,but just don't care about everything they throw out,tried to play Dragon Quest and some of their lower budget titles but they bored me.

Top Bottom