• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really looks pretty scary to me. On the infrared animations of Ike you can see that purple patch powerhouse of wind and moisture wrapping around from the east eyewall to the southwest where it is now.

That patch is going to be back on the east side of the storm again in 3 hours along with the high tide. =(

<- happy he's in Illinois

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Teknoman said:
We're all outside Galveston, but the storm is still going to blitz Texas and most of the Gulf Coast. Its HUGE.

:lol Do you not know who I am? I'm Geraldo bitch!

EDIT: Its coming full on now. Just saw downtown houston on the news and the street signs are really moving.

Hopefully it does mild down before it gets to any GAFfers ^^ If your net goes down and you lose power... well I recommend pretending to GAF with paper in a "note" book so you don't go crazy from withdrawals >.> lol

No bannings that way, its a free market!

Still, take care guys on the coast!

Teknoman

lsslave said:
Hopefully it does mild down before it gets to any GAFfers ^^ If your net goes down and you lose power... well I recommend pretending to GAF with paper in a "note" book so you don't go crazy from withdrawals >.> lol

No bannings that way, its a free market!

Still, take care guys on the coast!

lol thats why I need to get an aircard or something for my Laptop. If the power goes out, my broadband/wi-fi connection does as well.

If it gets really bad, i'll most likely have pictures or video.

MechDX

Filling up last tub now so my well can fill its tank up one last time. My Q is fully charged so I can still web surf.

sits and stares at clock and whistles.....

Teknoman

MechDX said:
Filling up last tub now so my well can fill its tank up one last time. My Q is fully charged so I can still web surf.

sits and stares at clock and whistles.....

Yeah we've got our tub filled, some bottles of water+tea...various lunch meats, bread....and two empanadas(little mexican pastries) :lol

Though we just had T-bone steak and fries for dinner, so it's all good.

EDIT: All the galvestonians (?) who didnt evacuate are in a local high school. Its being used as a makeshift shelter. So maybe it wont be that bad after all? According to the woman on 740 KTRK, theres about 300 people there.

GhaleonEB

MechDX said:
Yep.

national.jpg

I've been busy the past couple of days, and am just now getting caught up so pardon the stupid question but:

Isn't that really fucking big, even by hurricane standards?

Kusagari

GhaleonEB said:
I've been busy the past couple of days, and am just now getting caught up so pardon the stupid question but:

It's the biggest hurricane on record.

MechDX

GhaleonEB said:

You should be in the middle of it.:lol

GhaleonEB

Kusagari said:
It's the biggest hurricane on record.
Oh my. I just caught up on the thread and am doing the news rounds now.

Jesus. Good luck guys. That's several times the size of my home state. :(

jmdajr

The diameter of Ike's tropical storm and hurricane force winds are 550 and 240 miles, respectively, thus making it the most massive Atlantic hurricane on record

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't have TV (I have an HD TV but no channels lol and no antenna).

So to me it's weird cause it's like I'm not really hearing anything about this. I've been so disconnected from the news.

GhaleonEB said:
Oh my. I just caught up on the thread and am doing the news rounds now.

Jesus. Good luck guys. That's several times the size of my home state. :(

Several times the size of... FRANCE!

EDIT: Well ok not several.

ToxicAdam

GhaleonEB said:

They say the average hurricane is 300 miles. This is twice that.

I live just outside Columbus, Ohio. It would stretch from here to New York City .. with plenty of room to spare.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I commend the various field TV reporters (Like CNN) out in Texas right now covering this. That's some really nasty weather and this one reporter just almost got blown away several times. She still tried her best to continue the coverage.

Teknoman

Ether_Snake said:
I don't have TV (I have an HD TV but no channels lol and no antenna).

So to me it's weird cause it's like I'm not really hearing anything about this. I've been so disconnected from the news.

Several times the size of... FRANCE!

EDIT: Well ok not several.

Stream it :lol

It just started raining by my house. First it was the wind, now its wind+rain. Guess the outer bands are just reaching us.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If it was over Germany, well it would cover it completely.

Tekno: Good idea!

CNN
" LIVE: Watch as Hurricane Ike pounds Houston and Texas coastline"

Like it's supposed to be cool!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
SuperAndroid17 said:
cnn is reporting one death in galveston

Sigh , could of been avoided but whatever..

That happened in Corpus Christi, not Galveston.

Ripclawe

Banned
oh man..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5998682.html

GALVESTON — Despite a mandatory evacuation and ominous forecasts of a killer storm, police, firefighters and the Galveston Beach Patrol rescued dozens of residents Friday from the rising tides brought on by Hurricane Ike as it bears down on Galveston Island.

Many had stayed on the island through numerous other hurricanes and were surprised by the height of the tidal surge. Others were mentally impaired, homeless or decrepit.

Police used a boat to rescue Ken Rygaard, 65, and his wife Jesse, 52, after the tide flooded the second story of the house on 67th Street near Stewart Road.

Rygaard said he has ridden out every storm over the last 43 years. "During (1983 Hurricane) Alicia, we only had a little bit of water," Rygaard said "but nothing up to the second level."

The Rygaards and others were taken to Ball High School on 43rd Street, which became a shelter of last resort. The city warned residents that there would be no shelters because all residents were expected to leave the island.

But city officials estimated that as many as 40 percent of the island's about 60,000 residents remained in their homes. The city was forced to find a place to put those rescued by police and firefighters, so Ball High was opened.

The number of residents taken to the high school was uncertain, as was their safety if Ike brings a predicted storm surge of 20 feet. At that height the surge would top the 17-foot sea wall and flood all of the island except for a high point just behind the sea wall, city officials say.

Many of those who stayed were defiant. A shirtless man sat on his porch drinking a beer beside a boarded up window where he had scrawled, "Go away Ike, Tina ain't here," a reference to the entertainers Ike and Tina Turner.

Rescuers used dump trucks, fire trucks and surfboards to pluck stranded residents from their homes.

Beach Patrol guard Joe Cardas used a surfboard to bring out Angie Fleener and her bull dog, Hally. The two were loaded into the back of a dump truck half filled with dirt and taken to the high school.

Teknoman

Ether_Snake said:

CNN

local houston radio channel too:

http://www.ktrh.com/main.html

KHOU Is showing live Galveston...wow its really blowing hard now. At least one of the docks.

GhaleonEB

Ripclawe said:
The number of residents taken to the high school was uncertain, as was their safety if Ike brings a predicted storm surge of 20 feet. At that height the surge would top the 17-foot sea wall and flood all of the island except for a high point just behind the sea wall, city officials say.
Am I reading that right? Flood nearly the entire island?

0_o

Teknoman

GhaleonEB said:
Am I reading that right? Flood nearly the entire island?

0_o

Yeah. Galveston isnt really that big of an island. The mayor told them several times that the entire island would be underwater for 12 hours straight.

The lights are starting to flicker abit over here...

tedtropy

Yeah, my power can't decide if it wants to stay on or off, thankfully the longest streak it's been off for has been about five minutes.

Teknoman

tedtropy said:
That bolt of lightning was sponsored by Mountain Dew.
:lol Actually it was the exact color of a dew can.

Just opened the door for a bit, and the wind sorta sounds like air blowing through a really hollow pipe.

I really hope nothing weird like a tornado happens as well. I remember hearing that one sounds sort of like a train?

EDIT: I need to get my mom off Persona 3 before she corrupts her save data or something.

Be safe guys! I'm in Dallas, but all my friends and family are in Matagorda County, League City, and downtown Houston. Houston is my favorite town in all of America and I would hate for anything bad to happen to it.

Blablurn

Ether_Snake said:

CNN

holy shit

I am from Germany

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Teknoman said:
:lol Actually it was the exact color of a dew can.

Just opened the door for a bit, and the wind sorta sounds like air blowing through a really hollow pipe.

I really hope nothing weird like a tornado happens as well. I remember hearing that one sounds sort of like a train?

EDIT: I need to get my mom off Persona 3 before she corrupts her save data or something.

Mom playing Persona?!?!

:lol :lol how cool!

Lhadatt

Reporting in from near Spring, TX (google map it). 70 miles inland from Galveston. The outer edges of the storm knocked out my power an hour ago.

I remain defiant!

Laptop + tethered cell phone = interweb

And I have a work phone and another laptop standing by for when these go out.

Bring it, Ike! You jackass...

Teknoman

Ether_Snake said:
Mom playing Persona?!?!

:lol :lol how cool!

Yeah, shes the one who got me into RPGs. Rented FF II on SNES and the rest is history. Thing is, she takes forever to beat em :lol Tends to over level alot.

Power is flickering again...nothings gone out but my printer just restarted itself.

tedtropy

Lhadatt said:
Reporting in from near Spring, TX (google map it). 70 miles inland from Galveston. The outer edges of the storm knocked out my power an hour ago.

I remain defiant!

Laptop + tethered cell phone = interweb

And I have a work phone and another laptop standing by for when these go out.

Bring it, Ike! You jackass...

I'm on my apartment's patio with an extension cable and my laptop just kind of enjoying the show, watching my power peter in and out. It's pretty recessed, so none of the wind is really getting in, but when/if it does I shall be retreating to my bathroom like so much frightened child. :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Teknoman said:
Yeah, shes the one who got me into RPGs. Rented FF II on SNES and the rest is history. Thing is, she takes forever to beat em :lol Tends to over level alot.

Power is flickering again...nothings gone out but my printer just restarted itself.

Haha that is so funny. FFII was definitly the RPG that really got me into the genre.

Lhadatt

tedtropy said:
I'm on my apartment's patio with an extension cable and my laptop just kind of enjoying the show, watching my power peter in and out. It's pretty recessed, so none of the wind is really getting in, but when/if it does I shall be retreating to my bathroom like so much frightened child. :D
I found my portable TV. It's a color LCD from when they first came out years ago. The darn thing still works! Funny stuff.

Now that I've given the storm the middle finger, I'm probably going to sign off soon. This was mainly a proof-of-concept exercise. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom