• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a live report from Galveston from some of the duders in the hotel, there was a steady river of water flowing over the sea wall and into a parking garage. I don't even want to think what the west end of the island is looking like right now.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
And my power is officially out, with a nifty transformer explosion to boot. Now it's a mad race to see which battery gives out first: my laptop's or the UPS powering the cable modem and wireless router.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
ElectricBlue187 said:
Shit my internet just went out

Then that must mean....THE INTERNET IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE. Or you used your mobile phone. Whichever.

tedtropy said:
Then that must mean....THE INTERNET IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE. Or you used your mobile phone. Whichever.

No. My heroes power lets me post on NeoGAF with my mind. Unfortunately GAF is the only site I can use.
But I've been training!

Teknoman

Seems pretty calm in galveston right now. Guess they are near the eye.

The bad part is supposed to be right after the eye.

Zoe

ElectricBlue187 said:

szwtup.gif

Perfect avatar :lol

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
The winds here in downtown Houston are pretty wicked. Just got back inside and boy its a site to see. I can see the windows and the other buildings wobble. I am going to try to take some video before it gets worse.

Rindain

Banned
Geraldo is awesome. I wish Anderson Cooper were still on right now too--I wonder if Geraldo will stick it out through the second half of the storm?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jesus, went to bed at 11, shit hit the fan loud banging and and wind gusts. Power is out, im pretty sure we are on backup again.

Cable tv is surprisingly still up.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
We won't really see until tomorrow the extent of the damage I am guessing?

most of the news casters are probably in the safer locations that won't show the devastation and I am kind of curious and horrified at the same time

guess

6 feet of water in Galveston County court house

I can see transformers blowing all over the place. I'm amazed that I still have power.

--Official landfall in Galveston at 2:10am

Blablurn said:
2j4wkuw.jpg

wow, due to the hurricane many people are already on their way refuelling their cars.

That was yesterday, and its because most gas in the US is refined in East Houston. Where the hurricane is. And is hopefully being spared damage.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Windows are starting to break in the building im in now. Luckily i have a sleeping bag in a conference room with no windows. Its time to get some shut eye and hopefully it isnt too bad when i wake up. Hope Houston-Galveston and surrounding area GAFers are safe.

Oreoleo

shagg_187 said:
Also, for some reason i found this pic on cnn frontpage funny:

t1wide.ikewinds.jpg

1. How is the cameraman not flying away?

2. Peer Schneider (I think) from IGN can lift himself up with his arms in a very similar fashion.

I'm calling shenanigans!

Zeke

bah San Antonio hardly ever gets any effects from these storms. I don't want a flood but some rain would nice.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Orellio said:

2. Peer Schneider (I think) from IGN can lift himself up with his arms in a very similar fashion.

I'm calling shenanigans!

You mean you didn't know that hurricane force winds can blow a person into a parallel position with the ground while leaving nearby trees unscathed?

GhaleonEB

Orellio said:

I'm calling shenanigans!
Look at how he's holding the pole, his lower arm especially.

And also, the trees.

Oreoleo

Metaphoreus said:
You mean you didn't know that hurricane force winds can blow a person into a parallel position with the ground while leaving nearby trees unscathed?
GhaleonEB said:
Look at how he's holding the pole, his lower arm especially.

And also, the trees.

Looks like we got ourselves a pair of know-it-alls!

Talyn

Extollere said:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
what.. what?

looks like there are two more low pressure areas on the map, does this mean more potential hurricanes? Someone interpret this for me
Umm if you mouse over those 2 you should see the NHC's info regarding them. They are being watched but the potential for either of them to become tropical storms is low, right now at least.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
damn you guys are getting it hard.
to think I felt robbed today when my in n out grilled cheese didnt have onions....

good luck everyone! I'll be watching and waiting for confirmation that everyone is fine.

This dumbass reporting for MSNBC is going to get himself killed. Jim Gray or something like that was reporting on the Galveston seaway road with debris flying all around while being asked by his co-worker in the comfort of the studio "Is anyone foolish enough to be out in what you are in?" All he could do is laugh because he knows how stupid it is to be where he was.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
got2bekidding said:
This dumbass reporting for MSNBC is going to get himself killed. Jim Gray or something like that was reporting on the Galveston seaway road with debris flying all around while being asked by his co-worker in the comfort of the studio "Is anyone foolish enough to be out in what you are in?" All he could do is laugh because he knows how stupid it is to be where he was.

Reporters are invincible.*

(*except when they're shot, step on land mines, drown, etc. Also, safety last if there's more to be made than you'll get sued for by the survivors. First rule of business)

Miguel

ElectricBlue187 said:
If anyone cares, my power just went out...Here's what I've uploaded so far, I don't feel like walking too far outside my apartment door. But that tree on the left in all these pics is gonna go down, and may have already gone down...I heard a snap about 5 mins ago I haven't investigated yet.

http://www.flickr.com/mmolinajr/

TAJ said:
Reporters are invincible.*

(*except when they're shot, step on a land mine, drown, etc. Also, safety last if there's more to be made than you'll get sued for by the survivors. First rule of business)

It's always the major news outlets that do this though. They are used to reporting about everything but something like this, and they send these clueless people out in the middle of it. I just switched to CNN and they have a guy in the 3rd story of a parking garage, which is fine, but he is standing there holding on like crazy just to stand up. He asks the woman who is their "meteorologist" how high are the wind gusts right now. She says, "You are looking at about 50mph sustained," which is total bullshit. It's pathetic how ignorant they are about situations like this, how they throw them out there in the middle of it, and how they are actually relying on the information provided by their co-workers.

edit: Sorry about the rant, but these storms are an every year occurrence and one would think that some of that knowledge from covering them would be retained so at least someone could be classified as an expert.

Miguel said:
If anyone cares, my power just went out...Here's what I've uploaded so far, I don't feel like walking too far outside my apartment door. But that tree on the left in all these pics is gonna go down, and may have already gone down...I heard a snap about 5 mins ago I haven't investigated yet.
http://www.flickr.com/mmolinajr/

Thanks for the pics. What area are you in?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So the eye has made landfall then? They were saying the worst of the storm surge would happen when the eye makes landfall..so the worst is over now, as far as that goes?

gofreak said:
So the eye has made landfall then? They were saying the worst of the storm surge would happen when the eye makes landfall..so the worst is over now, as far as that goes?

I heard it made landfall at about 2:10am. I'm not sure if that was central or eastern time though. When the backside of the eye starts to pass over, the switching direction of the wind should start to push out the water. The big factor is what side of the storm you are on though. The right side retains the surge a lot longer than the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom