• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
TAJ said:
There are more future Darwin Award nominees on GAF than I'd imagined.
Uh everything Miguel said is completely accurate. People keep wanting to compare this to Katrina as in Houston is New Orleans, but its not even close.
Houston was not and is not under mandatory evacuation for a reason. There will be very very few casualties in Houston from this storm. The largest problems for Houston will be power outages, flash flooding and wind damage.

Galveston, as has been well established, is a different story.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
captive said:
Uh everything Miguel said is completely accurate. People keep wanting to compare this to Katrina, but its not even close.
Houston was not and is not under mandatory evacuation for a reason. There will be very very few casualties in Houston from this storm. The largest problems for Houston will be power outages, flash flooding and wind damage.
Yeah, Houston is relatively fine. Galveston is fucked.

captive

Well, my place of employment is now on generator power, which will last 9 days if needed.

Hitokage said:
Yeah, Houston is relatively fine. Galveston is fucked.
I clarified that with my edit, but he was specifically referring to Houstonians who were talking about how this affects Houston.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
No more beach. :( Looks like it's South Padre from now on!

</tastelessjoke>

I know a few people who have family in Galveston and the area affected by Ike. I hope everything turns out okay for all involved.

Teknoman

TAJ said:
There are more future Darwin Award nominees on GAF than I'd imagined.

Most of the people posting in this topic live outside of Galveston. Either Houston, Dallas, Austin, Woodlands, Humble, etc.

MechDX

Wow winds are REALLY picking up here. Big ass wind gusts.

Noe to the local Sherriff's dept. patroling the subdivision though. Just stopped a group of dumbass kids walking around with a flashlight in front of my house.

KatrinaMcDs.jpg

This is what was left of a McDonald's in front of the Edgewater Mall in Biloxi by my house. Everyone on the coast need to build their houses out of Ronalds apparently.

got2bekidding said:
KatrinaMcDs.jpg

This is what was left of a McDonald's in front of the Edgewater Mall in Biloxi by my house. Everyone on the coast need to build their houses out of Ronalds apparently.
Least he's still smiling! :lol

Wind is definitely picking up in my area (Med Center/Rice). No rain yet. I've heard that areas of Bellaire have power outages. Updates later, if possible.

Teknoman

smirkrevenge said:
Wind is definitely picking up in my area (Med Center/Rice). No rain yet. I've heard that areas of Bellaire have power outages. Updates later, if possible.

Seems like Bellaire/ River Oaks and the southwest area always goes out first.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I don't understand, people showing pictures.

This already happened, it's showing some stuff on the CNN but they don't say if it's yet to happen full blown or if it's still waiting to happen.

?

There's a ship that can't be saved apparently, nobody will be able to reach them. Hope things work out for the 20 or so people in it :/

Ronok

Well, I can't stay up any longer. Hopefully I'll wake up to hear it wasn't as bad as feared.

My real hope is that not too many famillies with children stayed in the really bad areas like galveston, but with figures like 40% of the population staying I'm not so hopeful. :(

Gl to any gaffers around the storm. Hopefully you'll all be ok.

WrikaWrek said:
I don't understand, people showing pictures.

This already happened, it's showing some stuff on the CNN but they don't say if it's yet to happen full blown or if it's still waiting to happen.

?

There's a ship that can't be saved apparently, nobody will be able to reach them. Hope things work out for the 20 or so people in it :/

The ship is supposedly an oil tanker. The coast guard went out to rescue them earlier today, but the winds were so strong they had to abandon the attempt. :(

*note that this was reported by the Weather Channel so I'm not sure if the identity of the ship being a tanker is true, but I sure hope not. Also, this was supposed to be 22 people on this particular ship. With the amount of reports coming in and incidents, who knows if that report and this one are even related.

guess

WrikaWrek said:

As of a few minutes ago, they were fine.

Phoenix

got2bekidding said:
The ship is supposedly an oil tanker. The coast guard went out to rescue them earlier today, but the winds were so strong they had to abandon the attempt. :(

We get this foolishness in New Orleans as well. If you know you're in hurricane waters why aren't you in port days earlier. The oil tanker SHOULD be fine so long as none of the oil hatches top side open up. If they do, they're fucked.

captive

Phoenix said:
We get this foolishness in New Orleans as well. If you know you're in hurricane waters why aren't you in port days earlier. The oil tanker SHOULD be fine so long as none of the oil hatches top side open up. If they do, they're fucked.
The engine broke.

Teknoman

Ronok said:
Well, I can't stay up any longer. Hopefully I'll wake up to hear it wasn't as bad as feared.

My real hope is that not too many famillies with children stayed in the really bad areas like galveston, but with figures like 40% of the population staying I'm not so hopeful. :(

Gl to any gaffers around the storm. Hopefully you'll all be ok.

Well theres already that one family with two younger girls (looked about 7 and 11). They were interviewed earlier before the bear incident on channel 11.

Phoenix

guess said:
From what I remember hearing earlier, the engine broke either this morning, or late night Thursday.

Yeah, just read that. They could have had an engine failure trying to outrun the storm which sucks for them because being without maneuvering during a hurricane is exceedingly dangerous.

people should watch fox news right now. geraldo is still out on the sea wall, they've had multiple wind meter readings at 117mph wind gusts, the water is lapping over his feet as he stands there, the video is cutting in and out, and just...wow. geraldo, his wind guy, and the camera guy are all getting blown over while debris flies by them, and sheppard smith is just like 'yeah, its supposed to get bad geraldo, keep up the good work'

cnn, on the other hand, pulled their guys back to the safety of a parking garage facing away from the beach, where they are now reporting.

guess

kkaabboomm said:
people should watch fox news right now. geraldo is still out on the sea wall, they've had multiple wind meter readings at 117mph wind gusts, the water is lapping over his feet as he stands there, the video is cutting in and out, and just...wow. geraldo, his wind guy, and the camera guy are all getting blown over while debris flies by them, and sheppard smith is just like 'yeah, its supposed to get bad geraldo, keep up the good work'

cnn, on the other hand, pulled their guys back to the safety of a parking garage facing away from the beach, where they are now reporting.

Some guy on a local news station was almost taken out by a wave this morning.

Smiles and Cries said:
those are small

She still looks great though.
http://xs231.xs.to/xs231/08375/jennifer_2698.jpg

Hope my power doesn't go out, but it is probably inevitable.

WrikaWrek

Banned
kkaabboomm said:

Is there a Internet live feed?

Would like to see that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
omg rite said:
Holy awesome fake breasts, Batman.

I don't think they are fake.

EDIT: OMG THOSE HIPS YUUMMMMMMMM!

EDIT: AND HER BOOTY!

Damn, she's so my type!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
by the wya, which asshole news netowrk has been scaring people with $5/gallon gas? i've had multiple people come running to me today and say it. had one of my other managers threaten to quit already if it got that high.

i'd just like to know which dickhead is using this shit to try to capitalize their peak oil bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom