• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, yeah you got slammed by that northwestern band of the eye wall. I hope everyone and everything stays safe. Good luck for the duration of this.

Miguel

I'll be good. not really raining hard enough to flood it doesn't seem in this area. May change later tonight, but all's ok except for the wind'power.

guess

I'm north of I10 in the loop. I see no lights to the south.

I'm on the 4th floor facing west. Apartment shaking from wind gusts.

Who knows how long power will be out. I'm still seeing exploding transformers.

Glad I bought an iPhone, don't know what i'd do without Internet

Good luck to you too guess. It seems you are in that northwestern eye wall side also. It doesn't seem like Houston has caught a break when it comes to the strongest winds. :(

MIMIC

Banned
Holy shit. I live in Cleveland, OH and The Weather Channel said that we could get tornadoes from this thing by Sunday when it moves north :lol

guess

This sucks.....

Go into my living to get a better view outside and there is water all over the floor.
Good thing I unplugged everything

Just watching the weather channel...

They had a reporter giving a quick update... standing out in the weather, rain pouring, wind blowing, and a fire blazing in the background...

He talks about the wind, and the rain, and then the debris... but never mentioned the fire.

then the anchor asked... What's with that fire in the back there?

and he was all like WHAT???

Turned around, and said in confusion.... We'll get back to you on that...

What is going on here!?!

Scalemail Ted said:
Just watching the weather channel...

They had a reporter giving a quick update... standing out in the weather, rain pouring, wind blowing, and a fire blazing in the background...

He talks about the wind, and the rain, and then the debris... but never mentioned the fire.

then the anchor asked... What's with that fire in the back there?

and he was all like WHAT???

Turned around, and said in confusion.... We'll get back to you on that...

What is going on here!?!

You saw that too?! I was watching that report just thinking to myself "WTF is that on fire back there!?" Then I figured it was a refinery and once he said it was, he paused and was like "Well, hmmmm....I...I'm not going to say that's normal."

Not only that but it really has kept it's strength as it has come on shore, because it has become more compact which caused it to spin faster. That among other things has been unique and unfortunate about this storm.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'm about to head back home which is about a 4-5 (Maybe longer now) hour drive so it should be passed my city by the time I get there.

News showed wind damage where I live but I dont think there was alot of flooding. We'll see when I get there.

Emenis said:
I'm about to head back home which is about a 4-5 (Maybe longer now) hour drive so it should be passed my city by the time I get there.

News showed wind damage where I live but I dont think there was alot of flooding. We'll see when I get there.

You might want to check with authorities to make sure you can even get there. It's not like you can just drive into a disaster area you know?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
got2bekidding said:
You might want to check with authorities to make sure you can even get there. It's not like you can just drive into a disaster area you know?

I know.

Barrett2

My sister lives in Spring (NW Houston), and it seems like her power is out, she hasn't updated her blog since last night.

I can only imagine what this will do to the price of gas if the refineries are knocked out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tip was also the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded at 870mb. Fortunately it wasn't in a godlike state when it made landfall.

syllogism

Western Pacific cyclones are generally much more intense than Atlantic and typhoons can form throughout the year. A typical w. pacific season sees 3-10 super typhoons (~cat 5).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hitokage said:
Tip was also the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded at 870mb. Fortunately it wasn't in a godlike state when it made landfall.
Cyclone Monica was pretty damn close when it hit the north coast of Australia in 2006, although some of the recorded mbars were unofficial.

seanoff

wouldn't expect devastating wind damage from a high Cat2 low Cat3. Trees down, some minor structural damage etc

However, the storm surge damage and flood damage may be absolutely fearsome.

Was watching the Channel 11 coverage and that hotel on Galveston was starting to disintegrate fairly badly the last i saw. Not catastrophic but water was coming in under walls etc

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The chase bank building downtown on the east side had every window blown out from top to bottom.

I got no power at my house.

Been an interesting night to say the least.

MechDX

still here in Livingston. 6am the heavy stuff got here. lost some shingles', power out , small trees down. still gustinf over 80.

Ripclawe

Banned
Extollere said:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
what.. what?

looks like there are two more low pressure areas on the map, does this mean more potential hurricanes? Someone interpret this for me

DOesn't look too bad.
at200891_model_zoom.gif

Cianalas

Reading live blogs and talking to people who talked to people on the ground gives me the impression that the surge didn't breach the Port Arthur seawall. That's a huge sigh of relief for me.

JayDubya

Banned
jmdajr said:
well my apt is flooded

carpet ALLLL wet

The good news:

* it's an apartment. Renter's insurance is cheap, and you should have had some.
* it's an apartment. The burden for flood insurance fell on the owner, not you, and your lease ensures that they'll replace the carpet.
* you knew this was coming, so you no doubt moved stuff to high ground.

captive

Centerpoint energy says 2+ million people without power.
They have in addition to all their employees and contractors, tree guys and electric crews coming from neighboring states.

My father works for Joe's Crab Shack Corporate, and he is very concerned over the state of their two restaurants in Galveston. Without putting yourself in harm's way, can any of you let me know the condition they are in(ie. if you can see it from your house or if you are in the area, and the conditions of other structures in the area).

Evlar

Banned
lawblob said:
My sister lives in Spring (NW Houston), and it seems like her power is out, she hasn't updated her blog since last night.

I can only imagine what this will do to the price of gas if the refineries are knocked out.
If they eye went directly over Galveston where does that situate it in relation to the refineries?

captive

greepoman said:
Anyone heard about Galveston yet? I can't believe Geraldo isn't out there yet lol.
I imagine when they start doing flyovers with their helicopters people are going to find there's not going to be much of Galveston left, especially anything on the beach. If the storm surge was coming up on its way to Houston, that means pretty much all of Galveston was under water.

The only plus was that it was only a 12 for storm surge instead of a 20+ foot like some were thinking.

trilobyte

I swear San Antonio is hurricane repellent. That's 2 hurricanes this year that gets a hair close to my city and bounces right out before we even get a drop of rain.

AirBrian

Jirotrom said:
i dont know how much they were spared... its still a flooded mess down there.
Well yes, but they didn't get the huge 20 foot surge they were predicting. That would've been catastrophic.

Eteric Rice

The surge usually comes a while after the hurricane.

I don't know when it touched down, and I can't say if it's really over or not.

Jirotrom

trilobyte said:
I swear San Antonio is hurricane repellent. That's 2 hurricanes this year that gets a hair close to my city and bounces right out before we even get a drop of rain.
San Antonio is in one of the worst droughts its ever had.

captive

Eteric Rice said:
The surge usually comes a while after the hurricane.

I don't know when it touched down, and I can't say if it's really over or not.
It made land fall on Galveston at 2:10 AM this morning.

Yesterday though galveston was already flooded. The storm surge came early.

Meier

capt.cps.nor92.130908162708.photo03.photo.default-512x341.jpg

This shot reminds me of those cranberry juice commercials with the two guys in the bog.

capt.394e8856dae3450ba55ef1b976d13578.correction_hurricane_ike_flan108.jpg

Holy shit, this thing's formation was a thing of beauty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom