• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I've always been curious about this: Do the field reporters have some sort of special shelter they can go to as well? I remember hearing something about a WWII bomb shelter in Galveston earlier.

Eteric Rice

One thing that happened with Katrina that may be useful to you. If the hurricane passes but you don't have flood waters, just wait a while.

My aunt stayed back in Katrina. The storm passed and they thought everything was fine. They went outside to check the damage. All of a sudden they heard a noise. They looked down the street and saw cars and shit rolling in a wave coming toward them. They ran up stairs just in time to not get caught by it. They were using their cloths to make makeshift ropes to try to save the people that were caught in it.

got2bekidding said:
That looks like Katrina damage I saw when I was finally able to come home after about a month it hit. Is that what the picture is from?

Yup. Chalmette.

It's not far from where I lived. I got 8 feet of water myself.

One last pic for now. This is the mold I was talking about. My room was boarded up, but the ones that weren't had no mold.

room38fu.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
One thing that happened with Katrina that may be useful to you. If the hurricane passes but you don't have flood waters, just wait a while.

My aunt stayed back in Katrina. The storm passed and they thought everything was fine. They went outside to check the damage. All of a sudden they heard a noise. They looked down the street and saw cars and shit rolling in a wave coming toward them. They ran up stairs just in time to not get caught by it. They were using their cloths to make makeshift ropes to try to save the people that were caught in it.

Again, this advice won't help much since Katrina was a special set of circumstances. I appreciate your trying to help fellow gaffers, but this storm will not be like that.

Eteric Rice

Snaku said:
Again, this advice won't help much since Katrina was a special set of circumstances. I appreciate your trying to help fellow gaffers, but this storm will not be like that.

*shrugs* Could be remembered for future storms. :)

Good luck to those who stay. I wish you the best.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.khou.com/video/index.html?nvid=282213

Cripes! - And this is early I guess judging by the daylight.

Beach Patrol uses surfboard to save woman and her dog from flooded home
Video
Storm Chaser blog: Lifeguards rescue woman, dog from flooded house
Sept. 12, 2008
View larger
E-mail Clip
More Video

GALVESTON -- Angie Wright and her dog were at first planning to ride out Hurricane Ike on Galveston Island. However, as waters from the storm surge flooded streets and homes, she changed her mind.

Wright said she called 911 for assistance, but claims dispatchers told her that rescuers would come to get her, but she would have to leave her dog behind. So she refused the help.

As the water continued to rise to waist-deep levels, she called for help again.

This time a pair of lifeguards from the Galveston Beach Patrol came to the rescue. The lifeguards used a surfboard to make their way down the street behind Parker Elementary and rescued Wright and her dog.

“I am very happy, because I had no place to go,” said Wright. “I've been here for 15 years and never seen it that bad.”

Wright was taken to the island's shelter of last resort at Ball High School.

I bet there are going to be a few regrets about staying, terrifying!

Teknoman

Snaku said:

Still though, thats crazy. I couldnt imagine running from a wave of debris and rushing water, much less being caught in it. Pretty sure Houston is going to flood pretty bad. Tropical storm Allison had water up to roofs and flooded Downtown really bad.

acksman

Teknoman said:
I've always been curious about this: Do the field reporters have some sort of special shelter they can go to as well? I remember hearing something about a WWII bomb shelter in earlier.

Yes, there is a hotel in one of the small coast towns that has a bunker where reporters are staying. They had to sign release forms to stay at that the hotel would not be responsible for injury or death.

In Clear Lake, there is a Hilton that is like 10 stories that many other reporters are at that has a generator. Although part of the building has been ripped off already.

Cianalas

For anyone interested in how Ike is affecting the Beaumont/Port Arthur area KFDM is running a live blog here. Power is still on at my house it would seem.

Teknoman

acksman said:
Yes, there is a hotel in one of the small coast towns that has a bunker where reporters are staying. They had to sign release forms to stay at, that the hotel would not be responsible for injury or death.

In Clear Lake, there is a Hilton that is like 10 stories that many other reporters are at that has a generator. Although part of the building has been ripped off already.

Yeah I heard about that a few minutes ago.

OH SHIT huge house fire in galveston now :(

There´s nothing authorities can do about it right now, but it seems there´s a lot of houses burning :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Eteric Rice said:
How is Houston right now? My uncle lives in Houston and he stayed. :(
What part?

Im in NW Houston I10 at the Beltway, and windy, no rain. Had a few power blips but we arent on backup generator yet.

Eteric Rice

captive said:
What part?

Im in NW Houston I10 at the Beltway, and windy, no rain. Had a few power blips but we arent on backup generator yet.

Not sure, I know he's pretty close to the water though. :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Eteric Rice said:
Not sure, I know he's pretty close to the water though. :(
Damn, I hope he's alright. You have no idea where though?
You cant text him or anything?

One thing my family and I learned with Rita is that texts almost always get through even if you cant make a phone call to save your life.

Teknoman

Eteric Rice said:
How is Houston right now? My uncle lives in Houston and he stayed. :(

Nothing so far. Just some strong gusts of wind and the bayou water levels are rising. They are pretty high and it hasnt even rained yet.

Phoenix

Eteric Rice said:
It's not far from where I lived. I got 8 feet of water myself.

One last pic for now. This is the mold I was talking about. My room was boarded up, but the ones that weren't had no mold.

Yeah, I've got a bunch as well:

80019464_466208e062.jpg

80019535_6b6ac5b043.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How about the guys at Id Software, I don't know where Mesquite is.

GamerSoul

Wow, Ike is just a beast. This is the first time I've seen the media be so blunt about the effect of a hurricane. Good luck to all those brave souls.

Ether_Snake said:
How about the guys at Id Software, I don't know where Mesquite is.
Mesquite is 5-10 miles east of Dallas..
Gearbox is 10-15 miles north of Dallas
Ensemble (or their offices) is about 5 miles north of Dallas
Terminal Reality is 20 miles northwest of Dallas.

looks like we have a darwin award nominee on the KHOU feed just a second ago, some guy was taking still photography of the waves from the shoreline at galveston. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smidget said:
Look at the size of it on a satellite map and the Northeast area of it always gets it the worst.
The right-front quadrant, to be exact. Where the winds coincide with the overall storm direction and are more powerful as a result, like a running punch.

Smidget

Hitokage said:
The right-front quadrant, to be exact. Where the winds coincide with the overall storm direction and are more powerful as a result, like a running punch.

Sorry, just used to getting hit that way in Central FL :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
speculawyer said:
Pffft. It is just category 2 right now.

They just want to scare people into evacuating to minimize deaths. That is a dangerous game . . . it may work this time but next the people will not evacuate because they'll figure the government is just over-exaggerating the damage potential.

Just give the people the honest facts and let them decide for themselves. If they die, it is their fault.
Miguel said:
People are being ridiculous.

Sure, it's gonna be a big ass storm...

But...

1. We are NOT 50 feet below sea level.
2. We do not have the fucking biggest river in the goddamn United States next to us seperated by a faulty levee system.
3. Wind damage will suck. Flooding will occur, Unless Ike hover's over us for 4 days like Allison did, I think we'll be OK in the long run.

Although if you guys don't see me after this weekend...

Rors gets my PS3
bluemax gets my TV
Alex Anderson gets my David Carr posters
Matrix gets my Ausmus bobblehead
There are more future Darwin Award nominees on GAF than I'd imagined.

Eteric Rice said:
How bad is the NO levee break?

Temporary levee broke. So far it has only been reported that hundreds of homes have been flooded. It just broke so more news should come in eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom