• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I believe the next PS Showcase will arrive in May, here’s why…

Markio128

It’s certainly been quiet on the eastern front and I think it’s fair to say that most gamers are gagging for a PS Showcase announcement from Sony. I’ve been relatively happy with the SOPs, but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t interested in knowing what the first-party roadmap was for PS5.

So why am I willing to put my neck on the line by saying there will be a PS Showcase in May? Well, mostly for the sheer fun of it. Let me speculate away….

I understand that Mortal Kombat 12 will be revealed in May and rumours suggest that this will be part of a PS Showcase.

It’s looking extremely likely that the much commented on Activision/Blizzard acquisition will be confirmed this week by MS and this could ironically mean positive things for PS fans. Sony know that they will need to take some of the limelight away from this news and the best way to do that is by announcing a showcase.

Once the acquisition has been confirmed, will PS release the Kraken? Is there a volcano ready to unleash an epic eruption?

If I’m wrong, please feel free to provide a suitable avatar for my shame.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I believe it will be in May because Grubb said so.
Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

;)

Godot25

Banned
I find it funny that people think that Sony didn't have Showcase last year because of ABK stuff.

What would be the point of doing that? Sillent Hill 2 remake was revealed as moneyhatt last year despite of ABK.

It's more like projects from PlayStation Studios just weren't ready to show and since Sony had plenty of games for release (Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo) and consoles were selling well there was no point of doing a showcase.

Markio128

I find it funny that people think that Sony didn't have Showcase last year because of ABK stuff.

What would be the point of doing that? Sillent Hill 2 remake was revealed as moneyhatt last year despite of ABK.

It's more like projects from PlayStation Studios just weren't ready to show and since Sony had plenty of games for release (Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo) and consoles were selling well there was no point of doing a showcase.
I agree with you here, but I guess Sony didn’t know then that the acquisition would go through. This could force Sony to throw everything they have at the next showcase.

Godot25

Banned
I agree with you here, but I guess Sony didn’t know then that the acquisition would go through. This could force Sony to throw everything they have at the next showcase.

Problem with "Sony did not have showcase because of ABK" is that Sony didn't even know how long this whole process would be. And even if CMA approve deal, there is still FTC and EU to deal with. And it's not like you can make a showcase at a whim.

Some devs told us that if you want to make a showcase it take few months to get assets ready. Unless it is for game that is literally ready for release.

So I really don't get that thinking.

i mean, that is one of the speculations:

'sony has been waiting until ABK deal concludes to release the Karen'.

kinda makes sense.

we all know a showcase is eventually inevitable. what i wonder is if Sony is willing to throw 1B or even 2B at Rockstar.

Problem with "Sony did not have showcase because of ABK" is that Sony didn't even know how long this whole process would be. And even if CMA approve deal, there is still FTC and EU to deal with. And it's not like you can make a showcase at a whim.

Some devs told us that if you want to make a showcase it take few months to get assets ready. Unless it is for game that is literally ready for release.

So I really don't get that thinking.
there was a timeframe from the get-go.

Godot25

Banned
there was a timeframe from the get-go.
There was aprox. timeline. And while there was a thinking that this merger could go to Phase 2, it could have ended in december.

And still. Even if CMA/EU will approve, you still have FTC to deal with. And if Microsoft don't want to close over FTC's dead body, it could drag into 2024. So...why would sony have a showcase in may?

Logic is missing.

Do you want to tell me that if Sony had a showcase revealing games from their own studios, it would somehow sway CMA's arguments? I really doubt that. It's not like there isn't a proof that Sony likes to moneyhatt 3rd parties. FF XVI, Kotor Remake, Silent Hill 2 remake etc.

There was aprox. timeline. And while there was a thinking that this merger could go to Phase 2, it could have ended in december.

And still. Even if CMA/EU will approve, you still have FTC to deal with. And if Microsoft don't want to close over FTC's dead body, it could drag into 2024. So...why would sony have a showcase in may?

Logic is missing.

Do you want to tell me that if Sony had a showcase revealing games from their own studios, it would somehow sway CMA's arguments? I really doubt that. It's not like there isn't a proof that Sony likes to moneyhatt 3rd parties. FF XVI, Kotor Remake, Silent Hill 2 remake etc.
the argument was about the optics.

the rumor was that sony's studios were not ready to show last year.

it doesn't matter.

Ronin_7

It’s certainly been quiet on the eastern front and I think it’s fair to say that most gamers are gagging for a PS Showcase announcement from Sony. I’ve been relatively happy with the SOPs, but I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t interested in knowing what the first-party roadmap was for PS5.

So why am I willing to put my neck on the line by saying there will be a PS Showcase in May? Well, mostly for the sheer fun of it. Let me speculate away….

I understand that Mortal Kombat 12 will be revealed in May and rumours suggest that this will be part of a PS Showcase.

It’s looking extremely likely that the much commented on Activision/Blizzard acquisition will be confirmed this week by MS and this could ironically mean positive things for PS fans. Sony know that they will need to take some of the limelight away from this news and the best way to do that is by announcing a showcase.

Once the acquisition has been confirmed, will PS release the Kraken? Is there a volcano ready to unleash an epic eruption?

Activision acquisition will change shit as much as Bungie... It'll keep being multiplatform releases, it's irrelevant for PlayStation Studios.

Doesn't affect the showcase at all lol

Markio128

Activision acquisition will change shit as much as Bungie... It'll keep being multiplatform releases, it's irrelevant for PlayStation Studios.

Doesn't affect the showcase at all lol
You don’t think MS will make a lot of noise about it? They’ve already started to advertise the acquisition. Greenburg will dressed in military gear this time next week 😂

Godot25

Banned
the rumor was that sony's studios were not ready to show last year.
Well. Grubb said that :messenger_winking:

And since he is claiming Showcase for the May, I guess we will see.

But it certainly makes more sense then "They did not have showcase because of ABK." Just look at their production output and you will get why they might not have been ready last year
Naughty Dog made a game in 2020
Bend made game in 2019 and then spent few years on support work
GG made a game in 2022
Sony Santa Monica made a game in 2022
Polyphony Digital made a game in 2022
Haven was founded in 2021
Sucker Punch made a game in 2020
Bluepoint made a game in 2020
Media Molecule made a game in 2020
Firewalk was founded in 2018
Deviation was founded in 2020 (I think)
Housemarque made a game in 2021

Is it really strange to think that maaaaaybe PlayStation Studios did not have that much to show considering fact that making AAA game is 5 years process?

But it certainly makes more sense then "They did not have showcase because of ABK." Just look at their production output and you will get why they might not have been ready last year
GG made a game in 2022

Is it really strange to think that maaaaaybe PlayStation Studios did not have that much to show considering fact that making AAA game is 5 years process?
that is what is called speculation.

just like some dumbs-dumbs think MS is doing a bad job with Xbox on purpose to demonstrate to regulators how Xbox needs the acquisition to survive.

Ronin_7

You don’t think MS will make a lot of noise about it? They’ve already started to advertise the acquisition. Greenburg will dressed in military gear this time next week 😂
PlayStation Showcase will dwarf gaming news and won't be close.

Sony just waiting now, it's probably ready to go.

Grubb already said it'll be massive.

Markio128

GG made a game in 2022

Maybe a number of those devs have more than one team working on games? I understand SSM have been working on a new unannounced IP. And none of those games were made in the year you mentioned, but released. Plus, 5 years to make the first game can be due to also building the engine. It doesn’t necessarily mean that subsequent games will take 5 years if the engine and tools are all there.

The CMA decision isn't even the final decision. Kinda blows up your whole theory.

Godot25

Banned
Maybe a number of those devs have more than one team working on games? I understand SSM have been working on a new unannounced IP. And none of those games were made in the year you mentioned, but released. Plus, 5 years to make the first game can be due to also building the engine. It doesn’t necessarily mean that subsequent games will take 5 years if the engine and tools are all there.
Forbidden west took 5 years. Ragnarök almost 5 years. So it's not like new IP took that much time to make. In case of new IP it is probably even longer.

RevGaming

Wishlist:

- Deviation and Firewalk shows us a glimpse of their game.
- Spider-man 2 reveal trailer (gameplay and story)
- The last of us factions huge coverage/release date/window
- Guerrilas's multiplayer game
- Ghost of sushi 2
- Santa Monica's new ip
- Firesprite will show 2 games

Bunch of third party AAA and indies.

Kvally

Banned
Grubb?

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

I welcome a show in May for sure. I want to hear if we have anything coming besides Spider-Man. If not, I am sure 2024 will be loaded. TLOU2 Multiplayer, Wolverine, Ghost of Tsushima 2 for starters is my guess.

Mr Hyde

There won't be any showcase. Playstation is finished, outsmarted by MS and Uncle Phil. Jimbo had a good run but he'll be flipping burgers now with Kaz and Crazy Ken.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

They showed so much first- and third-party stuff last year that it could easily have been a 50-minute showcase. Here are only some of the many first- and third-party games we saw last year from Sony:
  1. Hogwart's Legacy State of Play (marketing deal)
  2. Stellar Blade (SIE exclusive)
  3. Lost Souls Aside (SIE exclusive)
  4. Convallaria (SIE exclusive)
  5. Death Stranding 2 (SIE exclusive)
  6. Silent Hill 2 (third-party exclusive)
  7. TLOU P1 Remake (SIE exclusive)
  8. God of War Ragnarok (SIE exclusive)
  9. Final Fantasy XVI (third-party exclusive)
  10. Death Stranding 2 (SIE exclusive)
  11. Horizon Burning Shores (SIE exclusive)
  12. Horizon Call of the Mountain (SIE exclusive)
  13. Firewall Ultra (SIE exclusive)
  14. Gran Turismo 7 PS VR 2 (SIE exclusive)
  15. Forspoken (third-party exclusive)
  16. Resident Evil 4 Remake (marketing deal)
  17. Resident Evil Village (marketing deal)
  18. Tekken 8 (marketing deal)
  19. Street Fighter VI (marketing deal)
  20. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (third-party exclusive)
And more.

That's easily a 60-minute+ packed show of the highest quality.

The biggest reason they decided to split those trailers up and didn't have a big PS showcase was because of PS5's limited availability.

They were selling everything they were making, and they could not make more at the time. In January 2023, they kind of "relaunched" the PS5 with a new marketing campaign and have been getting the scheduled games out of the way (PS VR 2, HFW: Burning Shores, Forspoken, Hogwart's Legacy, RE4 Remake etc.).

Now that they have PS5s available and ready to be bought easily by almost everyone, they will show more games and keep that momentum going.

Markio128

Wow you really put your neck on the line with this post.
We haven’t had a showcase for a year and there has been no confirmation of a show in May and it’s nearly the end of April. But, I’m happy that everyone seems so confident it’ll happen 🤷‍♂️

Woopah

I don't think Sony's timing for it's showcase is impacted in any way by the merger. Its two completely separate things.

Roxkis_ii

There won't be any showcase. Playstation is finished, outsmarted by MS and Uncle Phil. Jimbo had a good run but he'll be flipping burgers now with Kaz and Crazy Ken.
Damn man, I know as soon as that Activision deal closes, xbox sales will rocket pass Playstation in all regions, including Japan.

I can't even look forward to Final Fantasy, Spiderman or any other best in class game Sony comes out with. I'm in shambles!

Damn you Phil!
he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Last edited:

SSfox

I think there is a chance too. Maybe this is where MK12 will be revealed?
1555260068-boon-sticker-4-ok.png

Finally that snoozfest ABK x MS deal seems coming to end, we may finally start getting some real gaming news
8aVt0IB.jpg

Last edited:

Thabass

FF7 Rebirth is releasing in less than 12 months and this is all they've shown.

1bc746ab1571b09520f7101612ef2af002daf875.gif

50ec495e4413827f5755c1b474d955e322a0d668.gif

Makes sense to have it properly revealed at a PS Showcase considering it's console exclusive.
There is zero chance this hits by the end of the year or even early next year. We've seen only this trailer...and that's it.

Go_Ly_Dow

There is zero chance this hits by the end of the year or even early next year. We've seen only this trailer...and that's it.
The first FF7 Remake trailer they showed following the reveal was May 2019, the game then released April 2020. So I wouldn't look to much into that.

Maybe it'll slip into Spring 2024, but that's a 2-3month delay from the Winter release frame they gave, so no biggie if it happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom