• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I believe the next PS Showcase will arrive in May, here’s why…

Fishake

Neo Member
Probably around the end of May, or the beginning of June. But the real question is the following: will we have a State Of Play style show, or will we have a live show with a large audience?

I personally prefer a live show.

Markio128

Probably around the end of May, or the beginning of June. But the real question is the following: will we have a State Of Play style show, or will we have a live show with a large audience?

I’ve always found live shows a bit cringe tbh. However, I would like some of the developers to give a commentary on their games. Whenever I see Jim, or any suit for that matter, I only see this:

Thabass

The first FF7 Remake trailer they showed following the reveal was May 2019, the game then released April 2020. So I wouldn't look to much into that.

Maybe it'll slip into Spring 2024, but that's a 2-3month delay from the Winter release frame they gave, so no biggie if it happens.
I hope so, but I just don't see it happening. Guess we'll see how the game looks in June when they finally show it again during SGF.

willothedog

Well. Grubb said that :messenger_winking:

And since he is claiming Showcase for the May, I guess we will see.

But it certainly makes more sense then "They did not have showcase because of ABK." Just look at their production output and you will get why they might not have been ready last year
Naughty Dog made a game in 2020
Bend made game in 2019 and then spent few years on support work
GG made a game in 2022
Sony Santa Monica made a game in 2022
Polyphony Digital made a game in 2022
Haven was founded in 2021
Sucker Punch made a game in 2020
Bluepoint made a game in 2020
Media Molecule made a game in 2020
Firewalk was founded in 2018
Deviation was founded in 2020 (I think)
Housemarque made a game in 2021

Is it really strange to think that maaaaaybe PlayStation Studios did not have that much to show considering fact that making AAA game is 5 years process?

Heaven forbid a studio to have more than one iron in the fire.

mortal

Gold Member
FF7 Rebirth is releasing in less than 12 months
jake-gyllenhaal.gif

Because it's a Nomura-led project, I have my doubts about it releasing in 2023. Just about every project he's led has seen some sort of delay for one reason or another.
I think Rebirth is a 2024 game, although I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:

mejin

jake-gyllenhaal.gif

Because it's a Nomura-led project, I have my doubts about it releasing in 2023. Just about every project he's led has seen some sort of delay for one reason or another.

I think the game would probably be good to launch later this year, but SE will probably wait a few months.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I hope they have some goods to show, its like they actively didnt want people to get excited about their non 2022 games last year

Go_Ly_Dow

jake-gyllenhaal.gif

FF7R and KH3 released without much of an issue, compared to let's say XV.

That said my stance remains it will release by end of April 2024, which would be a short delay at most and one which most fans won't mind given they have XVI to tide them over.

AmuroChan

Digital show. If it was a live show, they would've had to announced the venue by now and started selling tickets, assuming the show is in May.

farmerboy

Playstation selling gangbusters.
Supply hitting good, consistent levels.

A well timed, packed Future of Playstation Showcase would just about send the brand supernova.

Its gotta be close. Hope it is.

Camreezie

For real its been a while and a lot of the games that were hyped last time have been released. Time for a new hype cycle.
Off the top of my head the games featured in last ones still to be released:

Spiderman 2
Wolverine
Little Devil Inside
Goodbye Volcano High (lol)
Exoprimal
Stellar Blade
Final Fantasy 16

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I think the game would probably be good to launch later this year, but SE will probably wait a few months.
Personally, I would love to experience both FFXVI and Rebirth in the same year. A holiday release for Rebirth would actually allow enough time for both releases to perform.
Although, I would agree that a later date seems just as possible.

FF7R and KH3 released without much of an issue, compared to let's say XV.

That said my stance remains it will release by end of April 2024, which would be a short delay at most and one which most fans won't mind given they have XVI to tide them over.
That's fair. Square Enix often do release windows more than locked-in release dates, so"delay" may be a poor choice of words on my part.
It's more so criticism about games he's directed always being announced much too early. I'm not sure if it's Square Enix's doing, and they even catch him off guard with these announcements.
It seems his style of direction isn't conducive to a fast turnaround and is especially prone to iterations.

From what I've gleaned over the years in interviews, Nomura always struck me as a perfectionist that goes through multiple iterations well into early production more so than your average developer.
Especially with the number of radically different-looking builds that end up getting showcased for years and years, often without the game's release dates in sight.

Idk either way, I'm fine with either outcome. I've just grown so accustomed to waiting longer than expected for Nomura-led AAA games, but it would be reassuring to see that change with Rebirth, after FFXVI's relatively fast turnaround.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Personally, I would love to experience both FFXVI and Rebirth in the same year. A holiday release for Rebirth would actually allow enough time for both releases to perform.
Although, I would agree that a later date seems just as possible.

That's fair. Square Enix often do release windows more than locked-in release dates, so"delay" may be a poor choice of words on my part.
It's more so criticism about games he's directed always being announced much too early. I'm not sure if it's Square Enix's doing, and they even catch him off guard with these announcements.
It seems his style of direction isn't conducive to a fast turnaround and is especially prone to iterations.

From what I've gleaned over the years in interviews, Nomura always struck me as a perfectionist that goes through multiple iterations well into early production more so than your average developer.
Especially with the number of radically different-looking builds that end up getting showcased for years and years, often without the game's release dates in sight.

Idk either way, I'm fine with either outcome. I've just grown so accustomed to waiting longer than expected for Nomura-led AAA games, but it would be reassuring to see that change with Rebirth, after FFXVI's relatively fast turnaround.
Fair points and I would agree with these.

Remember though, Nomura isn't Director of Rebirth, it's Hamaguchi, and Nomura is creative director I believe. I would guess it's a rotation thing to stop burnout and Nomura will fully direct the 3rd and final game.

Top Bottom