• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don’t get gamepass… I want to own my games am I the only one here?

djjinx2

Personally I buy 1 game a year and try a few on GamePass, suits me as gaming comes 3rd behind family and work.

Nothings stopping you from buying the games that are on gamepass. I treat it as an extended demo, if I like it enough, I'll wishlist it and buy it on sale. Starfield and Like a Dragon Gaiden i am totally getting when the first sales hit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Back in my day, you used to have services called blockbuster and love film where you could rent games as long as you had a subscription. I think there wqs one called gamefly in the US.

Now they have music magpie in the UK. You then have the option to our chase the games at a reduced cost due to them being ex rentals.

Basically, I buy all the games I want to buy and enjoy all the other games I have time for on the service.

Simple.

Plenty of amazing games on game pass, that I then buy when they enter their sales. I think it's why xbox sales are so digitally skewed.

Last edited:

Jemm

I buy some games and play some through the Game Pass. It guarantees that I have always something to play - even when there are no games worth buying at the moment.

For example, I started playing Starfield (through the GP, since I'm constantly subscribed), then CP2077: Phantom Liberty and AC: Mirage dropped and I'm playing those right now. After I'm done with them, I'll probably return to Starfield and other GP games, until the next games I want to buy arrive.

As someone who has been subscribed to gamepass ultimate for a while, it’s a pretty terrible service. It has its utility if you have young kids, etc but the games on there are games that I mostly would not be bothered to pay for. I either already purchased them prior to coming to gamepass because I deemed it to be worth the purchase or ignored them because I considered them to be a waste of money. There are the occasional gems that I stumble upon once in a while but it’s rare. Right now, I mostly let my brother and S.I.L. use my account so at least someone gets value out of it. Unfortunately, as I keep track of the achievements, I see that they are also not getting much value from it. Once my subscription lapses, in 1.5 years, I most certainly will not be renewing. It’s perhaps the biggest waste of money I’ve spent in the gaming space in a while. This is of course reflective of the quality of Microsoft’s 3rd party which is to say, it’s non existent.

The other issue is time is limited and unlike music or tv shows, the time commitment for games is large. I’ve recently been playing cyberpunk + phantom liberty. The time I’ve spent on it so far would allow me to watch 3 full seasons of a typical hbo show. Ie, 10-12 episodes with a runtime of 1hour per episode and I’m still not done with cyberpunk. People don’t surf games like they do movies or music so subscribing to a service to play 1-4 games a year is just a bad deal. To make matters worse, many of the most popular games are f2p rendering a subscription service useless.

Finally, you can already see the rot beginning to form in the titles designed for Gamepass. There’s a slow shift in emphasizing “engagement” over purposeful/meaningful content as a way to keep users engaged with the service. Halo infinite is one example but a more egregious example is the new Forza Motorsport. The campaign and leveling system is insane to a regular person but, once you start to look at it through the lense of gamepass, it makes sense. The game is thoroughly unfun, underdeveloped and unstable in terms of technical proficiency. Then look at starfield. Copy and paste the game designed to waste people’s time. I tried to play it but after a dozen hours it just falls apart at the seams. Unfortunately, this has become yet another trademark of Microsoft game studios. Their games lack passion, they lack taste. It’s just generic by the numbers nonsense and most of the time, it’s not good.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I’m not picking on you, but this comment struck a chord. To me, this seems like the tragedy of the commons. “I’m maximizing my personal value at the cost of the industry as a whole”.

IMHO, that is taken into consideration by gamers on Steam. The extreme price cuts and generous refund policy make it so. All we need is a way to transfer licenses to other users as I’m ready for full digital.
I dont see it as you picking on me, ur good.

But totally, consumers should concern only about what makes sense for them, let the suits figure the rest out. Almost everytime theres an earnings call, it seems they are always making record profits anyhow.

I still pay sony $70 here and there for some must haves. Heck I paid Nintendo $70 for tears of the kingdom. But if they had a day 1 subscription for those games, i totally would take advantage of that.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Doesn’t bother me at all. When I stop and think about it, ownership is a myth. The house I live in, cars I drive, all material belonging will still be here when I leave earth. The body I inhabit is a rental that will fail at some point.

So I enjoy Gamepass. It’s a rental service like everything else in life.

Not really. Your body is yours to do anything you want with it. Nobody will ask you to return it. Or pay for damages. Just like your own car, house or whatever else you legally own.

You are talking about physical wear and tear. This has nothing to do with ownership though.

You are even allowed to pass said ownership of your things to whoever you want after you die. So even after death, you still have some control. But with things you rent you have zero control, dead or alive.

Godot25

Banned
Different strokes for different folks I guess.
When I beat 95% of games I won't turn them on ever again. So what is exactly the point in owning them? To have them? For what? So they can be in my digital library? But why?

Same for "game preservation" crowd. I mean, they care and that's fine. But they sometimes sound like everybody should care and they are overly aggressive because of that.

xrnzaaas

I get Game Pass, but it's not for me. I prefer to pick the games I want to play instead of having the sub suggest what I should play based on the monthly additions. I also like to own games even if that's technically not correct with digital releases.
There's also an increased incentive of checking something out only to drop it to play 420 other games. Spending money on a game can motivate me better to stick with it (unless I truly dislike it).

Back in my day, you used to have services called blockbuster and love film where you could rent games as long as you had a subscription. I think there wqs one called gamefly in the US.

Now they have music magpie in the UK. You then have the option to our chase the games at a reduced cost due to them being ex rentals.

Basically, I buy all the games I want to buy and enjoy all the other games I have time for on the service.

Simple.

Plenty of amazing games on game pass, that I then buy when they enter their sales. I think it's why xbox sales are so digitally skewed.

Solid point about rental games back in the day. What a change from loving nostalgia here on GAF for such topics to oh no big bad MS with the subs.

Weird we don't see similar threads about PS+...

skneogaf

I have gamepass for pc, I will eventually purchase the games that are on there but at a extreme discount from original release price.

Beechos

I have both gamepass and ps premium. I prob buy more games than most people do.

Subs have allowed me to experience games I normally dont touch with a ten foot pole.

I personally couldn't care less about owning a game collection. Big whoop.

Chastten

Banned
You're not THE only one, but most people are fine with just playing a game and moving on when they're done with it. Most of the populair games can't even be owned these days and people are more than happy with it.

I mean, we've had the same thing with movies and music. Most people haven't bought a DVD/Blu-ray/CD in well over a decade and are fine with streaming their stuff from a rental service. Even gamers don't bat an eye about that anymore.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have both gamepass and ps premium. I prob buy more games than most people do.

Subs have allowed me to experience games I normally dont touch with a ten foot pole.

I personally couldn't care less about owning a game collection. Big whoop.
Question: Why would you spend time playing games that you normally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole?

Elysium44

Banned
See topic It’s great for testing games but that’s all for me. I guess it’s good for low income players

I would think it is bad for low income players, I assumed people with money to blow on a subscription every month have more money. Low income people are better to be picky about what they buy, and only buy on sale too.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
You're not THE only one, but most people are fine with just playing a game and moving on when they're done with it. Most of the populair games can't even be owned these days and people are more than happy with it.

I mean, we've had the same thing with movies and music. Most people haven't bought a DVD/Blu-ray/CD in well over a decade and are fine with streaming their stuff from a rental service. Even gamers don't bat an eye about that anymore.

Movies particularly are a bit different, you will tend to watch a film once and either never again, or not for at least a few years. So not owning it makes more sense than a game where you will be playing it for hours a day for months or years potentially.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
When I beat 95% of games I won't turn them on ever again. So what is exactly the point in owning them? To have them? For what? So they can be in my digital library? But why?

Same for "game preservation" crowd. I mean, they care and that's fine. But they sometimes sound like everybody should care and they are overly aggressive because of that.

Especially if you're into online or multiplayer titles. Preservation ain't gonna work on Apex Legends season 17.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm starting to think some people just like stacking games, so services like Game Pass feel "wrong" to them because they have all the catalog available and now they have to play it lol.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would think it is bad for low income players, I assumed people with money to blow on a subscription every month have more money. Low income people are better to be picky about what they buy, and only buy on sale too.
Exactly. A subscription like Game Pass or PS+ sets the baseline for yearly expenditure around $160 (PS+ Premium) or $204 (Game Pass Ultimate). Any games they buy, new or on sale, will be added expenses on top of that baseline.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Movies particularly are a bit different, you will tend to watch a film once and either never again, or not for at least a few years. So not owning it makes more sense than a game where you will be playing it for hours a day for months or years potentially.
Most people play a game and move on to another game or to do something else. BTW if you feel like purchasing a game you played from Game Pass nothing stops you. I'm actually thinking on getting Scarlet Nexus on MS store since my game save is there from when I played it on Game Pass.

Chastten

Banned

While I understand that sense of reasoning, it's not true.

Most of the games you will be playing for months or years on end, are games you can't even buy, even if you wanted to. And even if you can 'buy' the game, it will all be over once the servers go down so your 'purchase' is nothing more than a temporary rental.

You cannot own Genshin Impact, or Overwatch, or World of Warcraft etc etc

Robb

Gold Member
I want to own my games as well, and I do. I also enjoy GamePass a lot.

There’s plenty of games I don’t want to purchase at full price. Or games that I’m not sure if I’ll enjoy or not. Or games where I know they have no replayability/I’ll only ever play through them once. etc. etc.

Elysium44

Banned
While I understand that sense of reasoning, it's not true.

Most of the games you will be playing for months or years on end, are games you can't even buy, even if you wanted to. And even if you can 'buy' the game, it will all be over once the servers go down so your 'purchase' is nothing more than a temporary rental.

You cannot own Genshin Impact, or Overwatch, or World of Warcraft etc etc

The existence of some exceptions doesn't make it 'not true'.

Most of my games are digital, I can still play all of them. One day the servers will go down, sure. One day I will die too. One day the sun will go out. In the long run we're all dead. Until then, we have games we - to all intents and purposes - own and can play whenever we want.

Nothing is forever, we know that. Even physical game discs will cease to work over time. Consoles themselves will die out, when the internal soldered SSD on the PS5 dies, the whole thing will have to go into landfill.

Last edited:

Beechos

Question: Why would you spend time playing games that you normally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole?
To try them out. I'd never thought in my life I'd play, less enjoy a simulator game but here I am liking powerwash simulator. I'm not aa/indie person but gamepass put me onto ori, dead cells, plagues tale. It also put me onto yakuza which made me buy ishin since it wasn't avail on a sub service day 1.

Fredrik

Uhh yes? I can’t tell you how many times I watched Land Before Time and Iron Giant as an adult. That thing has sentimental value to me. My grandfather bought it for me when I pointed at them at the store. I still use the same VCD played on a dinky portable player with its own screen.

Obviously I don’t want to own every show on Netflix and Spotify. Only those actually worth my time. Besides, shows on Netflix aren’t permanent while some are only available in different countries. As for Spotify, lots of stuff aren’t there especially underground and local music groups that aren’t living in the country of US and UK. Some covers aren’t there as well.

With regards to overall quality. Bluray is significantly better than 4K streams on Netflix. For Spotify, there is a limit at 320 kbps. Tidal offers higher quality but the cost is that their range of tracks and artists is less diverse. In my case, I ripped my Gundam Unicorn, Nier and Nier Automata OST to FLAC for example.
I have a huge DVD and Bluray library. And same with music CDs. But for roughly 10 years or so I only buy movies when they’re delayed on streaming services and I don’t want to wait. And music, I never buy anything anymore. I love streaming tbh, makes me listen/watch/play stuff I never would’ve touched otherwise and sometimes i find real gems.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You own them a lot more than you do on an explicitly rental service, that's for sure. Anything else is just semantics.

Semantics? Seriously, read the Steam terms of service. It's literarily called 'Subscriber Agreement'. Content on Steam is licensed, not sold.

SHA

No, you're not, but it's worth the risk if you know nothing about the games, you may end up liking average games, you never know.

DragonNCM

Then buy them? You're not forced to get Game Pass.

I have Game Pass Ultimate but I still bought several games that came to the service.
Same as me, it is opportunity to try games before you buy. If I like the game then I will get it with 20% discount when game is about to leave gamepass.

Elysium44

Banned
Semantics? Seriously, read the Steam terms of service. It's literarily called 'Subscriber Agreement'. Content on Steam is licensed, not sold.

It doesn't matter. You own it as much as you own anything else in this world, to all intents and purposes. The games I bought on Steam nearly 20 years ago, despite me 'not owning them' nonetheless are still there and I can play them today, and I only had to pay once. This will probably remain the case for decades to come, after which (or before) I will be dead, and will no longer care.

MonkD

I buy my games, and I buy them physically as much as possible.

But I definitely understand why there is good value in Game Pass. People in my family who generally don't "game" a lot have ended up trying a lot of new games that they otherwise wouldn't have touched. And I expect the value to keep rising since backwards compatibility is a thing of the past.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It doesn't matter. You own it as much as you own anything else in this world, to all intents and purposes. The games I bought on Steam nearly 20 years ago, despite me 'not owning them' nonetheless are still there and I can play them today, and I only had to pay once. This will probably remain the case for decades to come, after which (or before) I will be dead, and will no longer care.

True, true. Ignorance is bliss. Nothing wrong with it. Still, I prefer to know the reality of the situation.

TheStam

I had game pass for years on PC, it's great value but stopped last year because I also want to have my library of games not least since I do a decent amount of gaming on the Steam Deck. I noticed I just bounced off games so much easier when I didn't have anything invested in them, just doing the early levels of different games that often weren't really my thing, before switching to the next. This is a challenge on Steam too but I've been much more selective in games I've been buying as well. The feeling when a game leaves the service is awful too. But I get why people have it, you get a lot of quality games for the price.

Majukun

i want to own specific games.
other i'm fine just playing one time and never touch them again

other ones i would have never tried if they were not available foir "free"

Mowcno

I see little point in owning games I will play once and never touch again, which is the vast majority of games I play. So I don't see a point in owning them. So it's either buy physical and sell when I'm done, use a subscription service to rent them or buy digitally when they are heavily discounted.

Only multiplayer titles that I will be playing long-term are titles I may like to own instead.

BWJinxing

If it's a fun game, I'll buy it out right

If it passes time, game pass wonderful.

Is it worth it to own ever game even if it's garbage?

GinSama

I'm ok with gamepass, the amount of subscriptions that exists and you never own the product is pretty big nowadays ....

I still buy the games and I still own disc and digital games, not all the games comes out of gamepass.... When Im not happy with the lineup I just cancel,

kwAIMhY.jpg

This dude likes to own things too…..

There is no force on this planet from stopping you from spending your money on video games.

I don’t get {rental service}… I want to own my {product} am I the only one here?​

Sounds like you could apply this to anything in the world. Luckily there’s a thing called choice so you can do one or the other, or both.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I do both. Buy games I want to own. Rent games I'm curious about or just bored with. This has been a regular practice since Blockbuster Video. How is this all of a sudden a weird thing?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I try to avoid subscriptions whenever possible. They are setup to make money not lose them. So even if it seems like a good deal it requires careful financial planning. Of course if you are on that 1 EUR/USD for years program its different. But I am talking about the standard fees. I tend to buy more games per year than I even play, and even that is maybe 5-10 games a year nearly always on sale.

Top Bottom