• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I liked the PS5 at first. But now-because of these 2 things- I REALLY like it!

Its an eceleb whoring his channel. I have no idea if neogaf has rules on that, most forums do.

I just don't care much for this, personally, if he's in here discussing who cares? The other people here like NX Gamer and ACG/Karak tend to have other posters make the thread for their content and then they'll pop in and discuss, it may seem less whorish but I'm not sure why anyone needs to wait for someone else to do it for them if they want the discussion to happen?

Raonak

Banned
Watched it.

I haven't really used the trophy activitiess, but totally agreed that load times are amazing, they make games like demons souls so much better because deaths are way less painful when there's no load times.

Also, because of fast loading, I find myself playing more games, because now it's so easy to switch between them. I can go from a YouTube video to a 5 minute session of miles morales within 5 seconds. Then swap to a level of DMC5. Then back to a YouTube video.

It's weirdly liberating. And removes some decision paralysis because if I boot up the game, then get bored, I can just quickly switch to the next one.

There is no doubt they are cool and fun to play around with.

It's very satisfying to mash them when there is resistance.

So I think they'll get used, why not. They add to the fun.

But the idea that they further immerse you in the game or it's a game changer and all that? I've not gotten that sense AT ALL.

I think you'll get some very creative use out of them from some devs (i.e. I imagine Kojima will do something totally unexpected with them) and they may become standard for all shooters,etc. Hard to say (would suck to lose a match because my trigger on my 50 cal had resistance but when you were on the same gun it was super smooth and faster to fire).

But if nothing else, they feel GREAT and are fun to play with. And that's not nothing.

Yeah I'm not sure about the whole gun thing, mainly for multiplayer. Seems like it would be a disadvantage, but so far there has been moments where it certainly felt more immersive due to the increased fidelity. "Immersive" in a rudimentary sense. Just less rudimentary than typical rumble we have been used to. Can't wait to see how else it is utilized.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now that you added what the things were I watched the video to hear more of your thoughts, and yeah, those are good QOL things indeed!

Do it that way right away next time!

Well I've never said it WILL happen. I am saying they are in a precarious position because it MAY happen and looks possible.

The crux of it is this line you wrote: '...GamePass seems to favor quantity over quality when a lot of people just aren’t willing to use their valued time on middling experiences'

My whole theory rests on the idea that the game industry makes most of its money not from the hard core types (i.e. folks like you and me who post and argue on game centric message boards) but from medium/light core gamers. Not casual, like soccer moms playing Candy Crush. But medium/light core like frat bros playing the latest COD, 8 year olds playing FALLGUYS and FORTNITE after school and on weekends with their friends, Madden, most Nintendo premium games (Mario, Smash Bros,etc.)

Your theory- quality of software will win out- would be valid if the majority of customers end up being like you (and many folks on GAF).

But I think you are the equivalent of Mac users: passionate, loyal, and vocal about what is CLEARLY a better personal computing experience.

But most people go with a PC and windows cause it's cheaper and it's good enough and it gets the job done.

Now that Microsoft is offering a gaming version of 'super convinient, super affordable, and most times good enough and some times amazing' -and especially since it's a version of gaming that is very different than the compeition- I think Xbox stands a chancel to topple Sony.

Again, will that happen? Who the fuck knows. Not me.

BUT I certainly think there's a healthy chance of it happening.

I guess this is where we disagree. I am not making the distinction between "medum/light" gamers and "low quality". In my view, productions like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and even stuff like Fortnite are absolutely "high quality" productions even if they aren't necessarily content that the extremely hardcore would claim is their favorite.

And these medium/light gamer experiences that tend to be huge AAA productions ARE NOT available day 1 on GamePass. They cost way too much to make and the business model makes zero sense for these publishers.

GamePass is interesting because Microsoft first party recently has not been high quality to the extent of those tentpole third party franchises. So it essentially combines games that are old or games that aren't hugely expensive to make with Day 1 releases of Microsoft first party. I agree that, in theory, that could make the service a very competitive value IF Microsoft first party delivers in terms of quality, but I disagree that it somehow represents some tectonic shift in the business landscape that results in Sony losing their dominant leadership position.

At the end of the day, consumers with limited time are able and willing to pay day and date for the games and experiences they want. GamePass is more experimental, for consumers that are a bit more open minded in terms of how they spend their time. It's a supplemental service, but if you ask most game consumers it's likely not one they consider to be essential. In other words, if I am a consumer and I want to play the latest Spider-Man or Call of Duty, GamePass IS NOT a good substitute for that and never will be. I don't think there's very many consumers out there that would be perfectly OK with only having GamePass and nothing else, it likely represents a very small portion of the games they spend the most amount of time on.

Let's circle back to your PC vs Mac example - I see it similarly, but for a different market - I see Sony and the PlayStation brand as the "iPhone" of gaming consoles. I see Microsoft and GamePass being the "Android" of gaming consoles, and there's numerous reasons why this makes sense from my point of view:

• Apple / Playstation represent the "premium" experience. Do not confuse power with premium. In theory, XSX is more powerful on paper, but we all see now that the third party titles are basically a wash, and ironically may favor the PS5 due to a better, more singular focused dev environment. Apple is very much in the same position with iPhone - it doesn't have the best paper specs in all areas compared to top of the line Androids, but their UI is tailor made for a set of hardware and tends to have better real world performance / user experience.

• Apple accounts for roughly 50% of the phone market and has essentially created a massive ecosystem that has a large moat and fairly large friction to break away. Sony's position in the market is similar. Their consumers tend to stick. I see the same scenario playing out on Sony vs Microsoft, those seeds were planted a long time ago.

• Microsoft has more consoles they support (XSX, XSS), and a dev environment that also focuses on PCs. They have to support a lot more devices in general, similar to Android. Sony is (historically at least) much more laser focused on one platform, although exceptions are there (Pro, and also experimenting with some PC ports).

Ultimately, I don't see the landscape changing this generation due to whomever Microsoft decides to pay billions for in support of GamePass. They've dug themselves a pretty large hole during the Xbox One generation and are just now trying to dig themselves out of it. Their strategy could be a great play! No denying that, but what they need to hope to achieve is a good SECONDARY option for consumers, but I do not see them ever attaining their primary market leadership position as they almost had with the Xbox 360.

Last edited:

DonF

Gold Member
Jaffe! I would LOVE to hear your opinion on Godfall. Most reviews says that it plays a lot like God of war 2018, I wonder what are your thoughts.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
This thread was a lot more entertaining to read than I expected it to be.

On the topic: Cards have been great. Kids had been playing Astros Playroom all weekend and we ended up using hints twice to locate an artifact or missing puzzle piece.

That really is a game changer having those options right at your fingertips.

As for 2. I haven’t put it to use yet.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Now that you’ve added the 2 reasons, I have to disagree.

1. Sure I guess it helps for games where they have trophies tied to very specific things like beating a boss or completing a level, but it doesn’t really change anything for a game that needs you to do a 20 hit combo or get 5 kills in a row in multiplayer and things like that.

2. Many games in the past have had no, or only a second or 2, loading when you die. That’s all around how the game was developed. Not every game took 2 minutes to reload when you died.

bender

What time is it?
He's not an "eceleb." Jaffe's an e-thot, if anything. More importantly, he created Calling All Cars God of War and Twisted Metal, and he's been a GAF member forever, so he's cool in my book.

f3403da4d4e5b195-600x338.png

PSYGN

Watched it.

I haven't really used the trophy activitiess, but totally agreed that load times are amazing, they make games like demons souls so much better because deaths are way less painful when there's no load times.

Also, because of fast loading, I find myself playing more games, because now it's so easy to switch between them. I can go from a YouTube video to a 5 minute session of miles morales within 5 seconds. Then swap to a level of DMC5. Then back to a YouTube video.

It's weirdly liberating. And removes some decision paralysis because if I boot up the game, then get bored, I can just quickly switch to the next one.

Decision paralysis. I need to use that word more often and you're absolutely right.

Last edited:
Now that you’ve added the 2 reasons, I have to disagree.

1. Sure I guess it helps for games where they have trophies tied to very specific things like beating a boss or completing a level, but it doesn’t really change anything for a game that needs you to do a 20 hit combo or get 5 kills in a row in multiplayer and things like that.

2. Many games in the past have had no, or only a second or 2, loading when you die. That’s all around how the game was developed. Not every game took 2 minutes to reload when you died.

I'm having so much trouble figuring out the thought process behind this dude's posts.

Thirty7ven

Banned
How the fuck didn’t near instant loading immediately make you think about how it would impact death in games?

I quit Control exactly because death was too punishing. Those load times are insane.

Damn, I was wasting time browsing a video game forum, and someone made me click on a thread about a system I'm interested in, then they forced me to watch a video about some cool points to that system, and then they tricked me into reading a bunch of harsh responses from triggered nerds, to which the OP gamely continued to respond to. Ultimately I got to the end and felt forced to add my own comment. I feel used and abused. David Jaffe....
tnRpjEu.jpg

tillbot8

Banned
I would say people are being a little harsh, it's really not the end of the world, click vid/don't click vid. But David it's give and take. You come across as a bit defensive and too aggressive to criticism. Just my 2cents!

Kagero

Pretty much how I feel. Just got off party chat with some friends where I was saying the same thing. I liked the PS5 when I got it, but the more I play it, the more I'm appreciating it because of the exact same things Dave is talking about. Plus that dam controller keeps on giving. COD is so good with it.

Shakka43

There is no doubt they are cool and fun to play around with.

It's very satisfying to mash them when there is resistance.

So I think they'll get used, why not. They add to the fun.

But the idea that they further immerse you in the game or it's a game changer and all that? I've not gotten that sense AT ALL.

I think you'll get some very creative use out of them from some devs (i.e. I imagine Kojima will do something totally unexpected with them) and they may become standard for all shooters,etc. Hard to say (would suck to lose a match because my trigger on my 50 cal had resistance but when you were on the same gun it was super smooth and faster to fire).

But if nothing else, they feel GREAT and are fun to play with. And that's not nothing.
Have you tried Astro's Playroom? I'd say that's the best representation on how immersive the controller can be.

Tschumi

To be fair, i think you could easily have said "So i made a video about two PS5 features i enjoy" for a title, instead of that huckster'y one you made up~

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Have you tried Astro's Playroom? I'd say that's the best representation on how immersive the controller can be.
I have, and it's cool. But for me personally, it didn't immerse me in the world; not if you mean immersion as if feeling like I'm living in the game (ala VR or some such).

I got nothing but good things to say about the controller; not a thing wrong with it (other than I fear those back haptic triggers are gonna wear out/break sooner than most of us would prefer). Just saying I don't think it's the second coming as many in the press are making it out to be.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
To be fair, i think you could easily have said "So i made a video about two PS5 features i enjoy" for a title, instead of that huckster'y one you made up~
You are not wrong. I could have easily done that.

However, I would have not gotten as many people watching it and/or clicking on the thread.

Again, I'm anti-click bait all the way. But the internet is one big chaotic fairground with another person begging for your attention at every click.

So as long as it's not a lie (i.e. click bait) I will continue to go for dramatic Stan Lee style hucksterism over descriptions that sound as if they were plucked out- unchanged- from Camus' The Stranger.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously man, did you blow all your GoW and Twisted Metal money on coke and hookers? This is sad.

Shakka43

I have, and it's cool. But for me personally, it didn't immerse me in the world; not if you mean immersion as if feeling like I'm living in the game (ala VR or some such).

I got nothing but good things to say about the controller; not a thing wrong with it (other than I fear those back haptic triggers are gonna wear out/break sooner than most of us would prefer). Just saying I don't think it's the second coming as many in the press are making it out to be.
I see. I personally feel that Sony has delivered on their promise of a generational leap over previous game controllers, but I get your point.

I am truly excited for what Sony could do using similar technics for their PSVR 2 controllers.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
These message boards are for discussion, not promoting your d-tier Youtube channel.

Section E
We have over 300 threads of people doing the same thing in the past year or so though. I pointed it out once but nobody said anything or gave a fuck so I went back to not caring.

yaMRST4.jpg

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Tschumi

However, I would have not gotten as many people watching it and/or clicking on the thread.

Again, I'm anti-click bait all the way. But the internet is one big chaotic fairground with another person begging for your attention at every click.

So as long as it's not a lie (i.e. click bait) I will continue to go for dramatic Stan Lee style hucksterism over descriptions that sound as if they were plucked out- unchanged- from Camus' The Stranger.
I'm not trying to troll, but i didn't watch it, personally. Because the tactic was slightly cringey. Anyway all power to you, I'm not offended by this thread, others are just taking cheap shots at you~ all the best with your videos

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude, you are a legend, and much loved here, even if you get a bit of back fire.
Which I hope you don't take too personal.

I don't think you need that kind of sensationalist headline here, people would watch your video anyway.

Udde

I've had the PS5 for 3 days now and I dig it.

I dug it 5 minutes after I plugged it in. It's very cool. No doubt it's a great system.

However, after the first 2 days, I expected- like all new tech- the 'wow, this is so new and cool!' feeling would start to fade. And it did. No problem. Always occurs.

But even with that, I found myself-even with a number of games I'm loving on PC right now (PRODEUS is amazing!!!)- unable to stop going back to the PS5.

So I was curious why.

Demon's Souls and Sackboy are great games, but I'd played lots of games like them before. Why were these particular games- for me at least- so damn sticky?!?

And then I realized: OHHHHH, it's THESE 2 things that are keeping me glued to my PS5!

So, you know, I made a video about it.

As one does :)...

EDIT:

Oh lord, some of y'all. HERE

#1- Trophy system on cards is a game changer.
#2- SSD when it comes to putting you back into hard games after death is a game changer.

Bye.

After watching it I can only agree. I had not read anywhere about how the new Trophy system works, at least a clear example like your 10 seconds part of the video. When I get the PS5 here in EU, I can have exactly your same experience. I have never cared about getting the trophies, it was a nice little message that was shown from time to time in the UI, but I did never go after them.

They way they are implemented now, I think they could become a nice journey partner for the players while they go through the game, helping them to get more out of the experience of playing it.

And the SSD finally puts me back to the 16Bits loading time era. Maybe we will not appreciate it after 1 year, but now we must savor the change :)

Last edited:

Soodanim

How long until we take the abbreviated loading times for granted?
I already had a weird moment when I watched a video of Demon’s Souls video, because we got so used to either looking at a loading screen with a distraction that when it’s taken away the 4 second screen of fog is actually noticed I was purely waiting for the game to load with nothing else going on. Naturally it was less impatience and more an acknowledgment, especially when you use that 4 seconds to compare it to some of the worst offenders you’ve seen over the years.

Azurro

Banned
I absolutely DO think Sony is in a good position to lose it's 'top of the food chain' position when it comes to sales because of Gamepass (which now will include Bethesda).

That doesn't mean PS5 is shit or their first party games are not second to none. And I've made that point clear many times.

They have relatively little market presence outside North America, and it seems little interest from MS to change that as they are ultra focused on the US market. Gamepass isn't going to fix that.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I've had the PS5 for 3 days now and I dig it.

I dug it 5 minutes after I plugged it in. It's very cool. No doubt it's a great system.

However, after the first 2 days, I expected- like all new tech- the 'wow, this is so new and cool!' feeling would start to fade. And it did. No problem. Always occurs.

But even with that, I found myself-even with a number of games I'm loving on PC right now (PRODEUS is amazing!!!)- unable to stop going back to the PS5.

So I was curious why.

Demon's Souls and Sackboy are great games, but I'd played lots of games like them before. Why were these particular games- for me at least- so damn sticky?!?

And then I realized: OHHHHH, it's THESE 2 things that are keeping me glued to my PS5!

So, you know, I made a video about it.

As one does :)...

EDIT:

Oh lord, some of y'all. HERE

#1- Trophy system on cards is a game changer.
#2- SSD when it comes to putting you back into hard games after death is a game changer.

Bye.

Cant wait to dive into it later too :)

Fuck, A lot of people must of stood in a puddle with their socks on in this thread.

I'm personally not interested in the video so I didn't watch it, but why the pissy-ness?

Top Bottom