• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KScorp

I've decided to delay getting a new PC. Instead I'm just getting an SSD for my current one (which will eventually end up in the new PC anyway).

I want to do a clean install, but without formatting the hard disk. I recall that there's an option to stick all the old data in a folder called Windows.old. Will this still work if I'm installing Windows to a different partition? And will I need to do anything special with the SSD before installing Windows on it?

Hello! Was looking to invest in a new PC now that I'll have the money. I currently have a PC that I bought way back in 2009 when Empire: Total War came out
Current specs: System Model: GA-MA790XT-UD4P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Budget: £1000, United Kingdom
Main Use: Gaming and general usage.
Monitor: 1440 x 900. Was looking to upgrade to 23" or 24", or generally anything larger.
Reuse: Anything I can get away with. RAM/Hard Drive/Sound card/power supply etc. If possible. I'm not sure where to find the specs for these in the dxdiag

What I was looking at was similar to the build in the OP. The Shinobi case, i5 processor, 8GB Ram and maybe a GTX 770 if I can afford it.

theytookourjobz

After playing around some more with adaptive vsync and such, I'm happy with my 660 sli purchase now. 122 avg fps in Tomb Raider maxed out (no tressfx). I'm happy.

Chozo

Arbitrary question, but I don't follow the graphics card spec wars all that closely and I basically built my computer using the OP so no one is going to think I know what I'm doing anyways.

I'm on a GTX 570 right now, looking at the GTX 760 (and higher equivalents): is it worth upgrading before the next gen of the console wars, or would it pay to hold off a bit? I can run most games at 60 FPS at 1920x1080 with mid/high settings already, mostly turning down or off the stuff I can live without (PhysX, higher-detailed shadows), but I like any extra graphical shinies that I don't have to drop to sub-60 for. A Titan's a bit much, but I could probably drop $300-$400 and still be able to live with myself: don't know if there's something new on the horizon to wait for if I'm not desperate, though.

kharma45

Awesome. Thanks!

So I'm pretty sure I'm finally throwing down for the 760. Is there any one particular version that looks better than any other or does it not really matter (I'm currently running an EVGA card if that makes a difference).

out of what is currently available in the US from what I can see the EVGA ACX model seems the best choice.

vilmer_

If you need any help on picking stuff out, lemme know.

Oh I definitely will be for sure. I've only ever really dabbled in a proper water cooling setup and that was ages ago. I am very out of the loop (pardon the pun) with regards to what brands are trusted, etc now :p

scogoth

Oh I definitely will be for sure. I've only ever really dabbled in a proper water cooling setup and that was ages ago. I am very out of the loop (pardon the pun) with regards to what brands are trusted, etc now :p

Sorry may have missed it earlier but what is your build?

Mirk

Hey guys I am having an issue I got my pc together. When I turn it on it wont let me go in to setup with my new gfx card. It works fine with my old one. Any one have any ideas? or is the gfx SOL?

Motherboard is a ASRock P67 Extreme 4

New gfx card is MSI Geforce GTX 780

Old gfx card is Geforce gtx 460

NM I got it with a motherboard bios update!! yay

vilmer_

Sorry may have missed it earlier but what is your build?

I'll be transferring my stuff from my current tower into the new one. It's not the most latest and greatest at this point but still performs like a champ.

2500k @ 4.5 (h100 cooling)
Maximus V Extreme
Asus GTX680 TOP
16 gigs of Corsair @ 1600
AX850 PSU
Crucial M4 128 for os/gameage
6 HDD's for backup a couple dedicated to fraps storage :p

scogoth

I'll be transferring my stuff from my current tower into the new one. It's not the most latest and greatest at this point but still performs like a champ.

Maximus V Extreme
Asus GTX680 TOP
AX850 PSU

Ok just making sure no delidding needed to happen for the water loop to be effective

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Arghghh! Someone talk me down! (Disclaimer: You may not be successful, I'm a stubborn old git like that :p)

A friend just pointed out to me that for exactly the same price of the CPU/MoBo I've selected I can get:

* i7-4770K
* Asus Maximus VI Hero (effectively the full ATX version of the Gene)

Now, given that I wasn't aiming for an Ivy Bridge OC beyond 4.2 to 4.3Ghz, and that even at stock a Z87 / 4770K has some, small as it is, performance gain over Z77 / IB, why don't I just go for this instead?

I've overspecced the cooling anyway for my target (H90 with Noctuas) so if I win the lottery it's win/win.

I also get the benefit of 6x native Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports to make use of the three 500GB drives I already from my old PC waiting to go into the build, in addition to the SSD and 1TB drive I'll be getting for the new set-up.

It makes a screwy kind of sense to me, if I was having to pay more I wouldn't even consider it, the build is now that budget tight, but for exactly the same price?

Thoughts? =D

senahorse

Small overclocks should be fine, I have the 4770K (currently on air) and the Asus Hero VI Mb, and have the 4770K overclocked to 4.5Ghz (Vcore at 1.245V). I use Dolphin a bit so for me the Haswell was a no brainer.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Small overclocks should be fine, I have the 4770K (currently on air) and the Asus Hero VI Mb, and have the 4770K overclocked to 4.5Ghz (Vcore at 1.245V). I use Dolphin a bit so for me the Haswell was a no brainer.

How have you found the Hero so far?

senahorse

Only had it for just under a week, but seems fine so far. Nothing I can fault with it, decent gap between PCIE 1 and 2, Intel NIC, UEFI BIOS, nothing I have found lacking.

Osiris

Of course, just after I post that Amazon UK drop the i7-3770K to £236.94!

Wonder if that's a longish term drop in price.

jondabomb

I just built my computer and have been reading about issues with the nvidia 320.18 drivers . Is it safe to use these or the 320.49 beta ones?

edit: My graphics card is a GTX 770 4GB

yatesl

Hello! Was looking to invest in a new PC now that I'll have the money. I currently have a PC that I bought way back in 2009 when Empire: Total War came out

Monitor: 1440 x 900. Was looking to upgrade to 23" or 24", or generally anything larger.
Reuse: Anything I can get away with. RAM/Hard Drive/Sound card/power supply etc. If possible. I'm not sure where to find the specs for these in the dxdiag

What I was looking at was similar to the build in the OP. The Shinobi case, i5 processor, 8GB Ram and maybe a GTX 770 if I can afford it.

I just built a PC for around that much. I5 4670k 3,4Ghz, GTX 770, 8GB RAM, Fractal R4 case. Came to about £900 all together, excluding hard drives, monitors etc.

falastini

I finally got my parts a few days ago and put my build together. Everything works and no problems so far.

I OC'd my i5 3570 to 4.4 @ 1.20V and everything seems stable... tested 82°C max under prime. Should I try dialing back the voltage? I basically started at 1.20 and kept going up until I hit 4.4.

Coldsnap

God my first SSD up and going on my computer. Samsung 840 Pro, I was wondering If I need to install the samsung software and if there's any other software I should get?

mkenyon

Banned

Maximus V Extreme
Asus GTX680 TOP
AX850 PSU
What are you looking at for the watercooling parts?

Osiris

I finally got my parts a few days ago and put my build together. Everything works and no problems so far.

I OC'd my i5 3570 to 4.4 @ 1.20V and everything seems stable... tested 82°C max under prime. Should I try dialing back the voltage? I basically started at 1.20 and kept going up until I hit 4.4.

That looks awfully hot for 4.4Ghz if you went for the Hyper 212 to me.

Koroviev

I'm about ready to give up on the H60. I'm sick of troubleshooting why this damned thing only works half of the time :\

More info: The pump is either not starting or starting in a very delayed fashion much of the time.

Built my first from-scratch build. Everything worked when I turned it on, yay! Only problem I had was the computer freezing after running for an hour or two. Updating my Crucial M4 SSD's firmware to the latest revision fixed that.

Overclocked my GPU for the first time with Afterburner, Heaven and GPU-Z. Got it to what I think is stable at 1125MHz core / 1500MHz memory @1.25V. Need to run Heaven for a few hours or whatever. It was also stable at 1150MHz, but I got a better framerate at 1125MHz for some reason? Why's that? Anything above 1150MHz would artifact, even when I set the voltage to 1.3V. The framerate from stock to the OC was noticeable in Heaven, was cool. Supposedly, 1100MHz-ish makes the card as good or a bit better than a stock 7970 GHz edition?? That's awesome, if true. Temps stayed around 60-63C; Vapor X does its job well.

This card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

falastini

That looks awfully hot for 4.4Ghz if you went for the Hyper 212 to me.

Well that was the max it hit in Prime 95 when I left it running overnight. When I was monitoring it was consistently in the 70s, and during normal use it was never even that high. Still I'm gonna mess around with some lower voltages, and see if I can get it lower and keep it at 4.4.

Koroviev

Went ahead and picked up an H80i. Pump seems to be working out of the box this time. After my experience with the H60, I don't think I can recommend a Corsair AIO cooling solution outside of the 'i' series.

LordAlu

This should be pretty good? Although obviously change stuff if you wanna get rid of it for your own :)

Lingitiz

Tempted to bite on this deal.

4670k and MSI Z87 Mobo for ~$330 including tax and discounts. What do you guys think about the price? A worthwhile upgrade over a AMD B55 (an unlocked AMD x3 455).

senahorse

I just built my computer and have been reading about issues with the nvidia 320.18 drivers . Is it safe to use these or the 320.49 beta ones?

edit: My graphics card is a GTX 770 4GB

I believe it was only older cards being fried, fwiw I am using 320.18 with my 780's without an issue.

sgjackson

What is the issue with SLI cards versus single, powerful ones? I'm looking at SLI 760 benchmarks on Guru3d and they approach Titan levels with no microstutter issues. I was going to purchase a 770, but now I'm considering getting a 760 for now, and when I upgrade my monitor to 2560x1440 getting another one.

kharma45

What HDD and PSU do you have? RAM could be re-used too if it's decent DDR3 stuff.

This is me building it presuming we can re-use your HDD and that extra RAM, and there is plenty of space left over to upgrade other components. GPU wise there is the newly released 760 or for £8 more Amazon do the 7950 however they don't stock the Never Settle bundle.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.68 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£93.62 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£24.13 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£127.65 @ Amazon UK)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30)
PSU: Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (£73.99)
GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2GB GDDR5 (£199.99)
Total: £881.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 10:12 BST+0100)

A build with a 770 is going to take you over budget very slightly, Changing the PSU to this would bring it within http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JS580A/ but it's a Bronze rated unit not a Gold rated one.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.49 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£329.99 @ Aria PC)
Other: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30)
Other: Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (£73.99)
Total: £1011.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 10:20 BST+0100)

What HDD and PSU do you have? RAM could be re-used too if it's decent DDR3 stuff.

This is me building it presuming we can re-use your HDD and that extra RAM, and there is plenty of space left over to upgrade other components. GPU wise there is the newly released 760 or for £8 more Amazon do the 7950 however they don't stock the Never Settle bundle.

Monitor: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30)
PSU: Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (£73.99)
GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2GB GDDR5 (£199.99)
Total: £881.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 10:12 BST+0100)

A build with a 770 is going to take you over budget very slightly, Changing the PSU to this would bring it within http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JS580A/ but it's a Bronze rated unit not a Gold rated one.

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£329.99 @ Aria PC)
Other: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30)
Other: Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (£73.99)
Total: £1011.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 10:20 BST+0100)

This should be pretty good? Although obviously change stuff if you wanna get rid of it for your own :)

I just built a PC for around that much. I5 4670k 3,4Ghz, GTX 770, 8GB RAM, Fractal R4 case. Came to about £900 all together, excluding hard drives, monitors etc.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I actually discovered that website last night LordAlu just after posting in this thread, not the best timing lol.

I really like that first build Kharma suggested. I'm working very soon but I'm going to give it a better look tonight and see if I can change it around a little bit. I really like the monitor so I think that will be the one to go for.

I've decided not to reuse any parts, I'm thinking about selling this current PC on to a family member or someone who won't need it for gaming.

Thanks for the help again and hopefully I'll have a final build ready tonight that fits in with my budget.

kharma45

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I actually discovered that website last night LordAlu just after posting in this thread, not the best timing lol.

I really like that first build Kharma suggested. I'm working very soon but I'm going to give it a better look tonight and see if I can change it around a little bit. I really like the monitor so I think that will be the one to go for.

I've decided not to reuse any parts, I'm thinking about selling this current PC on to a family member or someone who won't need it for gaming.

Thanks for the help again and hopefully I'll have a final build ready tonight that fits in with my budget.

If you're not looking to re-use any parts I suggest this

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.14 @ Ebuyer)
Monitor: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (£119.30 @ Amazon)
PSU: Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (£73.99 @ Overclockers)
GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 760 EX OC 2GB GDDR5 (£199.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £960.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 11:14 BST+0100)

It doesn't get you the GTX 770 that you want but the 760 is still a fantastic card. Your choice is either it or a 7950, anything else puts you over budget. There are two reviews out there for the KFA2 model if you wish to see them http://www.eteknix.com/kfa2-geforce-gtx-760-ex-oc-2gb-graphics-card-review/ and http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_kfa2_ex_oc_review,1.html. Also something important to note, the RMA service that KFA2 offer is also extremely good, they have a UK RMA base and take typically 5 working days to get you sorted out. At just a fraction under £200 it is a great value proposition. Doesn't hurt either that in my opinion that KFA2 cooler is one of the most attractive on the market.

duppolo

what do you think of this used pc? it will be capable to let me play at high for 4-5 years from now?

its used and they ask me 950€ for it.

Processor Ivy Bridge di3'Gen.
INTEL I5 3570K 3.4 GHz, version K, la migliore, fatto per l'Overclock...
Corsair H50 Liquid Cpu Cooler

S.Madre Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 ATX DDR3 USB3 SATA3 PCI3.0 2XPCI 16X CROSSFIRE/SLI READY

AlimentatoreXFX 750WATT PROCORE 80PLUS, in grado di reggere due vga prof. a pieno carico senza alcun problema

Ram Crosair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600mhz kit CL9

HDD (2)

1. SSD Ocz Vertex3 120GB 550Mb/secondo

2. HDD BARRACUDA 1TB (1000GB) (6GB/s)7.200Rpm SATA3

Lettore BLUERAY LiteOn,leggeCD/DVD/BRAY,
La Scheda Video XFX PRESTAZIONI AI VERTICI
Mod. XFX HD 7970 Black Edition Oveclocked con 3GB di Memoria VRam DDR5 a 5700MHz

what do you think of this used pc? it will be capable to let me play at high for 4-5 years from now?

its used and they ask me 950€ for it.

Processor Ivy Bridge di3'Gen.
INTEL I5 3570K 3.4 GHz, version K, la migliore, fatto per l'Overclock...
Corsair H50 Liquid Cpu Cooler

S.Madre Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 ATX DDR3 USB3 SATA3 PCI3.0 2XPCI 16X CROSSFIRE/SLI READY

AlimentatoreXFX 750WATT PROCORE 80PLUS, in grado di reggere due vga prof. a pieno carico senza alcun problema

Ram Crosair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600mhz kit CL9

HDD (2)

1. SSD Ocz Vertex3 120GB 550Mb/secondo

2. HDD BARRACUDA 1TB (1000GB) (6GB/s)7.200Rpm SATA3

Lettore BLUERAY LiteOn,leggeCD/DVD/BRAY,
La Scheda Video XFX PRESTAZIONI AI VERTICI
Mod. XFX HD 7970 Black Edition Oveclocked con 3GB di Memoria VRam DDR5 a 5700MHz
If you're looking for something to max out the next 4-5 years you'll need a card with at least 6GB VRAM and even that is not assured. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10GB being the norm for max settings 4 years from now. Except for that, it's a great PC and the RAM and CPU will easily last the rest of the generation.

duppolo

motherboard is ok? i can buy another video card 3 years from now, but this 3 years must be ok with that and the next card must be compatible with this ali, motherboard, processor, etc.

Osiris

If you're looking for something to max out the next 4-5 years you'll need a card with at least 6GB VRAM and even that is not assured. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10GB being the norm for max settings 4 years from now. Except for that, it's a great PC and the RAM and CPU will easily last the rest of the generation.

There's plenty of threads to troll on neogaf, trolling in this one that is specifically an advice thread isn't appreciated though.

Durante

motherboard is ok? i can buy another video card 3 years from now, but this 3 years must be ok with that and the next card must be compatible with this ali, motherboard, processor, etc.
It will be fine. The CPU/MB will easily last the entire generation, especially with a bit of OC. Of course, there's a difference of "playing at high settings" and "maxing out". The latter can never be guaranteed, but is also not really relevant at all.

There's plenty of threads to troll on neogaf, trolling in this one that is specifically an advice thread isn't appreciated though.
Troll? Are you seriously claiming that a 3GB GPU will play all games at high settings 5 years from now? 5 years after the 360/PS3 you needed 1GB VRAM compared to the 256mb in the consoles, a 4x increase. Assuming 4GB RAM is used as VRAM in these consoles, you'll need 12GB 5 years from now. Now, I don't expect assets to increase in size as much as the previous gen but you're certifiably insane if you expect a 3GB 7970 to play all games in the next few years with no compromised settings. I'm 99% sure there will be a game in 2014 that won't be able to be maxed out on a 3GB 7970, never mind 5 years from now.

In fact, all these 2/3GB GPUs are fine for the rest of the gen people remind me of the people telling people that dual cores will be OK for the next few years to people in 2009 when just a few years later we already have a lot of games that are unplayable on dual cores.

i can easily change the gpu, if others components keep being fine
They're more than fine. I just didn't want you to expect to play all games at high 5 years from now with that GPU. Yeah, just change the GPU when you feel ready to, it's more than fine for high settings for the time being.

owasog

5 years after the 360/PS3 you needed 1GB VRAM compared to the 256mb in the consoles, a 4x increase. Assuming 4GB RAM is used as VRAM in these consoles, you'll need 12GB 5 years from now.
Oh come on! The PC needed that 1GB RAM because people were upgrading to 1080p monitors and later on games got higher-res textures than the console-version.

1080p will remain the most common resolution for years to come on both consoles and PC. I really don't see how you would need a GPU with more than 4GB, unless you get a >1440p monitor or go crazy with MSAA.

Toski

I've been stress testing my 4770k with prime95 and AIDA64 and I am at a loss. I did 2 hours+ of AIDA64 at 4.5 ghz & 1.245v. Prime95 gives me a BSOD within 20 minutes. I upped the voltage to 1.275 at 4.5 and got a BSOD within 20 minutes again. I lowered the CPU Ratio to 4.4 and got it to go 30 minutes+ on prime95. I stopped the test because the CPU hit 100 °C on core 1 doing the 800000 test.

Do I trust AIDA64 or Prime95? I think I'm stable for gaming at 4.5 at 1.25v, and I think Prime95 and Haswell don't get along too well.

A while back I asked about mini ITX mobos for Haswell and I've seen a few new ones start to appear on the site I keep track of. Are there any particularly good ones yet? Which chipset should I be looking into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom