• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
MSI GeForce GTX 760 for £180 with the below code.
http://www.dabs.com/products/msi-ge...xpress-3-0-hdmi-oc-8SY6.html?q=gtx 760&src=16

And add this to break the barrier to get £20 off using code "PAYPAL20"
http://www.dabs.com/products/akasa-blk-cable-management-kit-8DVV.html

You also get the EVGA GTX 760 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler for £200.

Dabs range:-
http://www.dabs.com/category/compon...tuners-and-i-o,graphics-cards/11137?q=gtx 760

Awesome, that code gets me the Twin Frozr version for £207.98 including next day delivery... that's a whole extra Noctua fan for my build!

Nice one :D

kharma45

Woah, that's a crazy price. Sub £200 just about. Nice.

Their RMA service in the uk is also great

Big6CjH.png

tarheel91

There is plenty of room with the 7950 but to get it to go much higher you'll need to start adjusting voltage unless it has been set fairly high already. Stock 760 is 980MHz and Anandtech took theirs to a stable maximum of 1306MHz boost by adding 0.012v, it's a great overclocker. TechPowerUp also got great results and the graph for the 7950 is it clocked at 1210MHz

Driver updates will have boosted that original score a bit but I'd be surprised if it was beating the 760 by much if at all.

I'd go for the KFA2 model instead

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ds/nvidiagtx760keplerseries/76xph6dv6kkz.html

I hadn't seen that overclock yet, and it definitely seems a lot more competitive than the other ones I've seen (they were getting 15-20% over stock). I dunno how I feel about using one game's benchmark to evaluate the overall performance of 2 cards. Plus, if those 7950 benchmarks were from before the big 12.11 update, they're really not comparable at all.

Arcticfox

I was going to upgrade my entire system to haswell, but after the poor overclocking results I decided to just stick with my overclocked i7-960 and upgrade the video card. I bought the MSI GTX 760 to replace my old Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB. This should let me change all settings back to high at 1920x1080 in most games.

kharma45

I hadn't seen that overclock yet, and it definitely seems a lot more competitive than the other ones I've seen (they were getting 15-20% over stock). I dunno how I feel about using one game's benchmark to evaluate the overall performance of 2 cards. Plus, if those 7950 benchmarks were from before the big 12.11 update, they're really not comparable at all.

It was with 12.11 but a beta version I think for that first graph. The rest are using much later drivers, hence the difference even berween the two stock figures for the 7950. Using one game doesn't give the whole picture but its the best I can find for a direct comparison of the 760 overclocked and a 7950 with the nuts clocked off it.

tarheel91

It was with 12.11 but a beta version I think for that first graph. The rest are using much later drivers, hence the difference even berween the two stock figures for the 7950. Using one game doesn't give the whole picture but its the best I can find for a direct comparison of the 760 overclocked and a 7950 with the nuts clocked off it.

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating to read comparisons where they put all this effort into overclocking and then only do one or two benchmarks.

Colin.

Fully back up and running now. Still need to update the bios since it's being fussy with my crucial ram when both are plugged in, but I can deal with that tomorrow. SSD's are beautiful, such a difference in speed, totally worth it.

Linus tech, compared 760 OCd against the 7950 OCd and the 7950 got higher frame rates.

mkenyon

Banned
TechPowerUp rank them like so at 1080p

Whilst the 7950 overclocks like a beast the 760 does too

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/17

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_760_TF_Gaming/30.html

You'll not go wrong with either, I would side with the 7950 still just about (price depending) for the Never Settle Bundle and the extra VRAM.

There is plenty of room with the 7950 but to get it to go much higher you'll need to start adjusting voltage unless it has been set fairly high already. Stock 760 is 980MHz and Anandtech took theirs to a stable maximum of 1306MHz boost by adding 0.012v, it's a great overclocker. TechPowerUp also got great results and the graph for the 7950 is it clocked at 1210MHz
What's with the FPS charts? SHAME.
Linus tech, compared 760 OCd against the 7950 OCd and the 7950 got higher frame rates.
Frame rate testing is inaccurate, and only best used as a general idea. Comparing two parts that close in performance requires frame time testing in order to get a good idea of performance.

Addnan

Frame rate testing is inaccurate, and only best used as a general idea. Comparing two parts that close in performance requires frame time testing in order to get a good idea of performance.
There are no frame time charts!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

The day I take Linus, the "Sham Wow" sales guy of technology, as authoritative on anything tech related is the day I get out of this hobby and take up basket weaving instead =D

You do realize he was just OC'ing the reference design with the reference design cooler in that video yeah? - I mean that does make a rather big difference. :p

I have one. It's ok. The Node is better.

I noticed you said this as regards SFF builds. You were referring to the Fractal Node 304, right? Does it have good cooling in comparison to the Sugo SG05? It's kinda difficult to tell which wins out on this in reviews. I want to run Dolphin on my SFF PC, you see, so that means overclocking a 3570K which would naturally necessitate a decent CPU cooler, so I'm trying to figure out which case gives best cooling as well as space to place some quality coolers over the CPU.

RyuKanSan

so i'm looking to go PC fully next gen cuss it seems everything (outside my JRPGs genre....yet) seem to be going to PC.

right now i have:
256-bit 1gb Nvidia GTX 460 (fermi)
ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

It's last me a good while before i even got into PC gaming.

I know for a fact I'm gonna upgrade my GPU..looking to get the GTX 760 that just came out, but is there anything else I should upgrade?

kennah

I noticed you said this as regards SFF builds. You were referring to the Fractal Node 304, right? Does it have good cooling in comparison to the Sugo SG05? It's kinda difficult to tell which wins out on this in reviews. I want to run Dolphin on my SFF PC, you see, so that means overclocking a 3570K which would naturally necessitate a decent CPU cooler, so I'm trying to figure out which case gives best cooling as well as space to place some quality coolers over the CPU.
Node all the way. You can't fit anything but an H40 or H60 in the SG05 because the psu is right above the motherboard. The Node will take good air coolers like the CM 212 and some of the noctua ones

Node all the way. You can't fit anything but an H40 or H60 in the SG05 because the psu is right above the motherboard. The Node will take good air coolers like the CM 212 and some of the noctua ones

Just to be clear, this is the one you're talking about, right? I find it surprising that the case can pull off similarly efficient cooling with that big slab at the front.

Another thing that I've always wondered-why do people tend to buy RAM sticks in pairs? Surely if I intend to go to 16GB in the future the ideal approach would be to get a single 8GB stick for now? Yet people always seem to get two 4GB sticks despite the negligible price difference.

kennah

Just to be clear, this is the one you're talking about, right? I find it surprising that the case can pull off similarly efficient cooling with that big slab at the front.

Another thing that I've always wondered-why do people tend to buy RAM sticks in pairs? Surely if I intend to go to 16GB in the future the ideal approach would be to get a single 8GB stick for now? Yet people always seem to get two 4GB sticks despite the negligible price difference.

Yes. The 304. The little one. Computers run a lot cooler and more efficient than they used to. Combine this with better coolers you don't need the wind turbines of years past. As long as air can move around and you aren't leaving it in the sun you'd be pretty hard pressed to overheat your computer, even on a modest overclock.

Also people do 2 sticks of ram because dual channel is faster and the way things were designed to work. 2x4 is because unless you are using your computer for virtual machines or other ram intensive work - anything over 8 gig goes to waste.

I was wondering when you were gonna appear and respond LOL

mkenyon

Banned
I was wondering when you were gonna appear and respond LOL
I might be busy, but there is no aspect of my job that will detain me from shooting down FPS benchmarks as good consumer advice on two cards so close to each other. Or AMD processors.
Its the best overclocking work out of the big sites. PC Per and TR have little to nothing in that regard.

edit - looking again, they've nowt.
The trouble with this is silicon lottery. Every card is different, and there's always the rumor that hardware sites get cherry picked chips.

kharma45

I might be busy, but there is no aspect of my job that will detain me from shooting down FPS benchmarks as good consumer advice on two cards so close to each other. Or AMD processors.

The trouble with this is silicon lottery. Every card is different, and there's always the rumor that hardware sites get cherry picked chips.

Well if they're going to test processors with regards to OCing there is no reason why they shouldn't be doing it for GPUs. Even if they are specially chosen examples they should still be doing it.

As a side note I was meaning to say to you, TR has an article up reviewing AMD Richland CPUs but also the x5xx Piledriver stuff. The 6350 seems to fair quite well relative to its nearest rival the i3 3220 (there is about a £20/$30 gap with them here in the UK now when comparing the 6300 which is only 0.4GHz behind the 6350, something a minor OC could match).

vilmer_

Can anyone recommend some good PSU cable extensions? With this new case coming I am definitely going to need them. I've heard of bitfenix, but are there any others I should consider? I'd prefer to go with red, but that's not set in stone. Also, price doesn't matter :p

kennah

Can anyone recommend some good PSU cable extensions? With this new case coming I am definitely going to need them. I've heard of bitfenix, but are there any others I should consider? I'd prefer to go with red, but that's not set in stone. Also, price doesn't matter :p

If price doesn't matter then custom sleeve your PSU to the right length :)

If you are going with one of the corsair modular PSUs, I think they sell an entire sleeved cable replacement pack in a number of colors.

Alright, two questions:

EDIT: Changed my first question to better reflect what I'm asking.
1]What's the power difference between a 550Ti and a GTX760?

2] Do you think the 4GB version is worth the extra $30 if I plan on upgrading again in another 2 or 3 years?

mkenyon

Banned
www.psychosleeve.com

$400-800 for a whole set :p

What PSU do you have?

*edit*

Ahhh yeah, AX850. Go with the ones from Corsair. Be careful though, as the new ones will not work with yours.

mr2xxx

Banned
Alright, two questions:

2] Do you think the 4GB version is worth the extra $30 if I plan on upgrading again in another 2 or 3 years?

1) yes,
2) yes

kennah

Alright, two questions:

1) Lots
2) for $30 why not.

kharma45

Alright, two questions:

The GTX 650 is roughly the same as the 550 Ti so gauge it from this

As for 4GB, for the sake of $30 you might as well. I would verge on the side of it not mattering but it won't hurt.

vilmer_

Ahhh yeah, AX850. Go with the ones from Corsair. Be careful though, as the new ones will not work with yours.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-individually-sleeved-dc-cable-kit-type-3-generation-2-red.html

Dammit, doesn't like like the AX850 is supported these would've been exactly what I was looking for.

Edit - Looks like these are the ones I want.

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/psu-accessories-1/professional-series-ax850-ax750-ax650-individually-sleeved-modular-cables-red.html

diamount

Banned
Say I went absoulte crazy with a WC build. Like have the 900d completely decked out with quad radiators and used SP120's quiet editions for the fans. Would I get a good temperature ceiling when overclocking the 4770k? I plan to do 3 way 780s. Oh, that would be with fan settings lowest possible speed

mkenyon

Banned
Yup.
Say I went absoulte crazy with a WC build. Like have the 900d completely decked out with quad radiators and used SP120's quiet editions for the fans. Would I get a good temperature ceiling when overclocking the 4770k? I plan to do 3 way 780s. Oh, that would be with fan settings lowest possible speed
Nope.

It's a limitation with the heat spreader and the TIM they put between that and the actual chip.

Radiators with fans dissipate X amount of heat (in watts). Once you have surpassed the total heat (in watts), there is no further benefit.

You'd get the same result with a 4770K on an H60 as you would in your suggested system.

Considering you are thinking about going three-way 780s, you should probably look into SB-E/X79, or just accept that you will need to delid your Haswell processor. (even then, they are still heat limited due to a reason that has not yet been determined)

*edit*

Also take a look at this: http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-smh10/

As well as this: http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/big-tower-atx-hptx-reverse/39-ld-pc-v8-reverse-atx-hptx-black-red.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom