• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161406

$160

In the budget builds, every single dollar counts to get that figure lower.

dat shitty heatsink (+ thermal paste) + fan noise

Without looking at reviews, I think this design is fail.

Spend a little more for something better. This is not money worth saving.

Maybe I just learned my lesson from buying the cheapest card from my other builds. I always end up replacing it with an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler died due to shitty design or couldn't cool the card quietly enough.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
stop.jpg
I dreamed about the 760 over the weekend.

<$300 and >670 performance (Even if that slide said it was under)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'll trade you a TITAN for the pug. Deal?

lol, after my wife he is truly my best friend in the world.

Unfortunately he has cancer and hip displaysia. Your vet bills would quickly climb above the $1,000 it costs for a titan.

This is awesome! Great job man :)

Thanks! I really couldn't have done it without this thread and the OP. I now have almost 15 years of PC games to catch up on.

By the way, my jaw is dropping with Borderlands 2. Why the hell didn't I do this sooner?

mkenyon

Banned
dat shitty heatsink (+ thermal paste) + fan noise

Without looking at reviews, I think this design is fail.

Spend a little more for something better. This is not money worth saving.

Maybe I just learned my lesson from buying the cheapest card from my other builds. I always end up replacing it with an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler died or couldn't cool the card quietly enough.
You won't find an argument with me at all there. But again, at that budget price, it's about getting that figure as low as possible.

If the person can afford more, then they can buy the next part up. I think it'd be a good idea to add it to the column, just not as the baseline part.

clav

You won't find an argument with me at all there. But again, at that budget price, it's about getting that figure as low as possible.

If the person can afford more, then they can buy the next part up. I think it'd be a good idea to add it to the column, just not as the baseline part.

If we really are aiming for a low-cost build, then let's open up the can of worms in terms of computer cases.

I have scars and cuts from sharp edges of those kind of builds.

But hey, they are low cost and save money, right?

Cooler Master at least does a pretty good job of refining edges but tends to be "pricier."

Anton668

ok, so near as I can tell my MB I bought in Feb is messing up. ASRock Ext 4. Was getting crash after crash mostly having to do with video. so... I gave up, transferred whatever I really needed to another HDD and started over.

Now, the damn thing wont recognize anything in the PCIE slots. I've reinstalled drivers, switched slots, tried a different vid card and nothing. No video whenever I hook up to the card and the board map in bios always shows the slot as empty.

Its the MB at this point isnt it?

reposting for page

clav

reposting for page

Check your RAM.

Either use Windows Memory Diagnostic (available on Windows 7/8 installation disks from "Repair my computer" or EXISTING INSTALLATION FROM program menu) or memtest86 (download).

Oh. If you can't get video, then RMA the card.

If that doesn't work, RMA the motherboard.

You don't have a spare card on you?

Can you test the card on another person's computer?

Anton668

ive tried 2 different video cards. the MB wont recognize either of them in any of the slots
also the system map in bios doesnt show anything in the PCIE slots as well

clav

ive tried 2 different video cards. the MB wont recognize either of them in any of the slots
also the system map in bios doesnt show anything in the PCIE slots as well

Throwing it out here. Have you tried to flash the BIOS to a newer version?

Check your RAM, too, as sometimes that can cause some weird things. Use one of those tools I listed earlier.

If that doesn't work, then RMA the motherboard.

Last question before I buy the 770. Is there a difference in brands? I have a Gigabyte motherboard, is it OK to pick an EVGA 770 or is it advisable to get a Gigabyte 770?

xJavonta

Banned
Can anyone tell me of the official MS 360 Wireless Reciever drops as much as the generic ones do? It's pretty fucking annoying and I've been resorting to using my wired controller because of it.

LordCanti

Can anyone tell me of the official MS 360 Wireless Reciever drops as much as the generic ones do? It's pretty fucking annoying and I've been resorting to using my wired controller because of it.

My official receiver has never dropped during the few years I've had it

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah - the Primochill Rigid fittings for acrylic tubing just aren't secure enough. I use a push fitting - and boy, that thing couldn't be ripped off with my Jeep. And then I screw on one of Primochill's fittings to their 1/2 OD tube, and it pops right off with little effort. I just don't trust it. Sucks, as I much prefer the black color as it matches much better. But at the end of the day, I don't want to trust my ~$5K investment to an insecure fitting.

So, more money! Woo - I'm about tapped out; this has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than I intended. Sure is fun; but these ~$100 and $200 orders are rapidly killing my wallet. I really hope I'm close to done. I still need to find something to put inside the tubing so it doesn't collapse - but I just can't fine anything while scouring the net. I'll try a plumbing shop about 45miles away later this week, maybe.

9121703189_a096262a03_z.jpg

9123926862_8d5c0bca8a_z.jpg

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Last question before I buy the 770. Is there a difference in brands? I have a Gigabyte motherboard, is it OK to pick an EVGA 770 or is it advisable to get a Gigabyte 770?

Pick the one you like most. They all have different coolers, and some have extra software bundles.

Sober

They should be all good but I hear better stories of EVGA's warranty/RMA vs. others.

Also I have been told because of nvidia's greenlight program, third parties have to at least meet nvidia's reference requirements for thermals/noise/etc before they can manufacture them (more or less). So even the shittier brands in the case of the 700-series cards will be more or less the same or better than what you'd expect from them at the very least.

It's the best mouse for claw grip, definitely.

Their support forums have a ton of firmware installs to customize it as well.

Yeah best mouse also because of the amount of available buttons on it, which are all Japanese microswitches and dat 1:1 optical sensor.

Gonna try the Sensei someday.

Reposting in hope of a response

So, I got the PC sorted out and purchased. Now I need to decide on a monitor. I need UK PC gaf's recommendations. I want to spend between £100 and £140. At least 22 inch. I'm looking for minimal input lag/response time. Want to play my Xbox on it too. I don't know the term for it but when you turn it, it still displays up until a certain degree. I specify UK because often I'm recommended models that are only sold in the States.

This looked nice http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004T2LMP2/

Somebody was recommending an LG IPS monitor the other day for £100.

Any other ideas guys?

Or, if there's no thoughts on that, is there anything I should avoid like the plague when buying a monitor?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Reposting in hope of a response

So, I got the PC sorted out and purchased. Now I need to decide on a monitor. I need UK PC gaf's recommendations. I want to spend between £100 and £140. At least 22 inch. I'm looking for minimal input lag/response time. Want to play my Xbox on it too. I don't know the term for it but when you turn it, it still displays up until a certain degree. I specify UK because often I'm recommended models that are only sold in the States.

This looked nice http://www.amazon.co.uk/VE247H-Wides...=Asus+VS247H-P

Somebody was recommending an LG IPS monitor the other day for £100.

Or, if there's no thoughts on that, is there anything I should avoid like the plague when buying a monitor?

Haz knows the best of the best, but I can offer some info:

- Viewing Angle is the term you're looking for. 22 inch suggests desk usage, so unless you've got friends crowded around it for some local multiplayer most models should be fine for sitting straight on or slightly to the side.
- IPS panels have better colors and clarity, but they are significantly less responsive than TN panels. Going by your desire for minimal lag, you'd want TN.
- If you want to plug in your X360 you'll probably want something with HDMI? And for the sound, do you have an optical out to connect to speakers? I'm no expert on X360s paired with monitors, but that seems like the common sense way to maximize IQ and audio quality.

VandalD

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this. I'm wondering how I check to see what version of DirectX is supported by my sound drivers. I've seen lists for video cards as to what they support, but I haven't seen anything for sound cards. Is it just assumed that even onboard sound can work with DirectX 11, assuming your motherboard isn't old as dirt?

nitric0

Got myself a i5 3570. OC'd it to 4.4GHz so far stable 15 hour prime95 test but at 1.25 volts. Should I try lowering my vcore a bit?

- Viewing Angle is the term you're looking for. 22 inch suggests desk usage, so unless you've got friends crowded around it for some local multiplayer most models should be fine for sitting straight on or slightly to the side.
- IPS panels have better colors and clarity, but they are significantly less responsive than TN panels. Going by your desire for minimal lag, you'd want TN.
- If you want to plug in your X360 you'll probably want something with HDMI? And for the sound, do you have an optical out to connect to speakers? I'm no expert on X360s paired with monitors, but that seems like the common sense way to maximize IQ and audio quality.

Thanks for the knowledge man. Going to avoid an ips for sure then.

kharma45

Thanks for the knowledge man. Going to avoid an ips for sure then.

Don't go for a TN, go for an IPS at that price range. The response time on them is perfectly good and I would be hugely surprised if you noticed the difference between 5ms and 2ms.

This 22" LG is £99.99 and is a bargain, got one myself http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GVZS/ You will not do better for this price. Argos are also selling it at the same price if that is handier, or you know someone who works there (or Homebase) to get their discount. Amazon also do the 23" version for an extra £20 or the 24" (which is a brand new model) for around £137.

You'll honestly not do any better at this price range unless you go used.

I'm guessing the combination of heat and moving dust is what rocked my PSU since a 500 and even a 450W PSU should be able to handle an AMD PII 965 (no FX yet...) and a 5770. How's this looking as a replacement?

Yeah that unit is fine.

And when I say fine it's great :p

Kyaw

Hey guys, is a GTX 480 still relevant in terms of gaming performance these days?

Basically 60fps at 1080p, can sacrifice gfx details. Will settle for highest everything for 30fps @ 1080p.

Accompanying CPU and RAM is terrible but I hope to upgrade to Haswell later down the year.

Addnan

Don't go for a TN, go for an IPS at that price range. The response time on them is perfectly good and I would be hugely surprised if you noticed the difference between 5ms and 2ms.

This 22" LG is £99.99 and is a bargain, got one myself http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GVZS/ You will not do better for this price. Argos are also selling it at the same price if that is handier, or you know someone who works there (or Homebase) to get their discount. Amazon also do the 23" version for an extra £20 or the 24" (which is a brand new model) for around £137.

You'll honestly not do any better at this price range unless you go used.

I am going to trust you with this monitor and get a couple once I get paid.

bro1

Banned
Hey guys, is a GTX 480 still relevant in terms of gaming performance these days?

Basically 60fps at 1080p, can sacrifice gfx details. Will settle for highest everything for 30fps @ 1080p.

Accompanying CPU and RAM is terrible but I hope to upgrade to Haswell later down the year.

Probably. Going to have to turn down a bunch of settings though but for 1080p at 30fps you should be ok.

kharma45

I am going to trust you with this monitor and get a couple once I get paid.

For the price i don't think you can do much better. We have 4 Dell Ultrasharps at home and against my LG i wouldn't pay the premium for them. If i was spending that much I would want 120Hz+.

only bad mark against the LG is the flimsy stand. Not something that bothered me but its worth pointing out.

Is water-cooling in mini ITX cases feasible? Surely if it's possible it'd be an effective means of combating the inferior air-flow that tends to come with such small cases?

kennah

Can you tell me what you've got in the case? How snug a fit is everything?

In my SG05:
P8Z77-I
Stock Cooler <-- This is the important part you are really limited by coolers in the sg05
Evga GTX 670
3x 2.5" Hard drives
450W Silverstone SFX PSU that came with the SG05
1x 120mm Noctua fan on the front

Temps aren't great, but I wouldn't overclock in it without an H40 or H60

Is water-cooling in mini ITX cases feasible? Surely if it's possible it'd be an effective means of combating the inferior air-flow that tends to come with such small cases?

Yes, but it's not common right now. You're a couple months late on this one

http://www.craftograph.com/compactsplash/

Irobot82

ok, so near as I can tell my MB I bought in Feb is messing up. ASRock Ext 4. Was getting crash after crash mostly having to do with video. so... I gave up, transferred whatever I really needed to another HDD and started over.

Now, the damn thing wont recognize anything in the PCIE slots. I've reinstalled drivers, switched slots, tried a different vid card and nothing. No video whenever I hook up to the card and the board map in bios always shows the slot as empty.

Its the MB at this point isnt it?

I have this mobo. What connection are you using to your monitor? Use a DVI first, try using the connection on the mobo for the integrated GPU, see if that works.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but you should add CCL Online to Uk parts luat.
Probably my favourite supplier along with scan.

I tend to use those 2 plus ebuyer and overclockers uk.

Keep up the good work. Great threads.

Apparently possible on the small Bitfenix model with the handles (can't remember the model off the top of my head). Not easiy with anything smaller as far as I understand it.

I bought that Chinese knock-off from Amazon for like $15 and it's never once dropped on me. Bad unit?

Rizific

I'm looking for an appreciable upgrade from a 5850 for under $200. What are my best options? No preference on if it's nvidia or amd.

PoweredBySoy said:
Do not install the 320.18's.

I'm going to revise my position a bit. In general, my new Haswell build hasn't seemed very - stable. Weird issues here and there - no S3 sleep mode, video card crashes, BSOD's using certain OC programs, etc..... so after 3 weeks of this I decided maybe I should swap out the motherboard. I had originally purchased the Gigabyte UD4H - since Gigabyte has always been good to me - and now decided to give MSI a try and picked up their GD65. Thankfully I had purchased at Microcenter and was able to do the the exchange easily.

After doing the the swap and reinstalling Windows (again), it has been a few days and it seems all of those issues noted above are now gone. So far this motherboard seems to be much more solid, which makes me much more happy. I'm glad I swapped out.

So, yes, it seems those video card crashes I was constantly getting in BF3 were perhaps motherboard related, and that for whatever reason the Gigabyte did not like my 670. But, I did still get those artifacts while running the 320.18's, so I still think there's an underlying issue with the drivers and still wouldn't recommend them.

But this little 'refresh' I've been doing has been getting more and more expensive. My old Lian Li case/build has this reoccurring, really annoying vibration noise. I had checked all my fans but could never figure out where it was coming from. I had just assumed it was a panel or piece of aluminum somewhere vibrating... and this is one of the reasons I purchased a new Arc Midi to put everything in. Well, I put everything in the Arc Midi yesterday and later that night heard the vibration come back. FFFFFFUUUUK. Turns out it was the power supply this whole time. And I'm not even sure if it's the fan (probably is) or some weird coil noise or something. Anyways, my general rule of thumb is, when your psu starts making noises, get it the fuck out. So, *sigh*, my new psu will be here on Wednesday.

I will say though, I'm still glad I bought this Arc Midi. Such a nice case.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EVGA is more reliable than Gigabyte.
Not from what I've seen. Everyone can run into duds. Unfortunately there is a failure rate on just about every GPU.

My Gigabyte GTX 460 had to be RMA'd.

My EVGA 8800GT did not have to be RMA'd.

This doesn't really prove your point but let me also echo that GIGABYTE makes some great GPU's. I've had 2 of them and have recommended several friends to buy Windforce cards. Never an issue unless people start pushing them more than they should.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
One more anecdotal +1 for Gigabyte. Been running flawlessly for the few days I've had it, even though it's still powered via the molex connectors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom