• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

Got a new PSU, plugged everything in, tried to turn it on...

VbdRd4e.jpg

Don't go for a TN, go for an IPS at that price range. The response time on them is perfectly good and I would be hugely surprised if you noticed the difference between 5ms and 2ms.

This 22" LG is £99.99 and is a bargain, got one myself http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GVZS/ You will not do better for this price. Argos are also selling it at the same price if that is handier, or you know someone who works there (or Homebase) to get their discount. Amazon also do the 23" version for an extra £20 or the 24" (which is a brand new model) for around £137.

Thanks, I think I'll go for that then. One thing: the model on your link says 5ms response time but the Argos one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/LG%20IPS224V%2022%20INCH%20IPS%20MONITOR.htm

says 15ms response time. Are they the same monitor...is the Argos description a misprint?

xJavonta

Banned
I bought that Chinese knock-off from Amazon for like $15 and it's never once dropped on me. Bad unit?

Probably. I've heard you're supposed to plug in into the back USB ports because they give more power or something but I've always had it plugged into those and it still drops on me.

Maybe my mobo isn't giving it enough juice or something, I don't know

Anton668

I have this mobo. What connection are you using to your monitor? Use a DVI first, try using the connection on the mobo for the integrated GPU, see if that works.

only have HDMI currently

Throwing it out here. Have you tried to flash the BIOS to a newer version?

Check your RAM, too, as sometimes that can cause some weird things. Use one of those tools I listed earlier.

If that doesn't work, then RMA the motherboard.

so after trying everything else I gooot a reply from ASRock and they said the same thing about flashing the BIOS. They also said to set the PCI to GEN 1 as well...

but I had already taken your suggestion and flashed it to vers 280 and... it worked...
so thanks for that!

but im left with the question of why. the BIOS just up and decide to flake on me during rebuild?

anyways, gonna test stuff and make sure its fixed

kennah

And the count of how many days it will take to complete starts now. I'm going with 137 days.
Four months? Maybe. I did start this build last August. Still need pump, rads and fittings. Have everything else.

Though it will be used with an H100 before that, I'm only counting complete as when the full loop is finished.

Just got an nvidia graphics card for my new rig. I have been using the hd 4000 integrated into the i5 cpu up until now. Should I uninstall those intel graphic drivers before installing my card and nvidia drivers?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmK guys need a little help

I will soon be replacing/upgrading some of my PC components. Just to be on the safe side, I need another external HDD to backup some of my more important files.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PQJWBE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was considering this one. If anyone has a better more reliable suggestion around that same price point or less, feel free to throw it out there.

Your Current Specs: Running on a laptop atm, but I'm looking to upgrade to a custom built desktop for the first time. Current relevant specs are 8GB RAM, i5-2410 2.30GHz, and Radeon 6490M, but being a laptop it's not terribly useful here.
Budget: I'm looking for something in the $1000-$1200 range.
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Emulation - 4, General Usage/Video playback - 3, everything else is moot. Also, as much future proofing as is reasonably possible.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p. I'll be mainly using the HD TV I've already got, as this thing will double as an HTPC
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: at the very least 30FPS on max settings for anything on the market currently, short of maybe Crysis 3. As I said, I want something that'll be future proof, that'll be able to at least minimally run the latest games 4-5 years from now. 3D is not a priority however. I'd also like something that'll be able to pull it's weight in emulation, 60FPS in dolphin/PCSX2, so CPU clocks are also a must. Finally, being also an HTPC, being as wireless as possible is a huge plus, so that includes long range mouse/keyboard/wifi, as well as having a good sound card/surround sound option later on.
Looking to reuse any parts?: as I've said above, I've got a TV already that I'll be using this thing on, but other than that I'm starting from scratch, essentially. Wondering if I can just reuse the windows 7 install disk that came with the laptop though?
When will you build?: This is me planning way ahead for my Christmas/birthday present to myself, but I'm willing to wait maybe another few months past december if there are any major chip/card releases that may be worth my while.
Will you be overclocking?: if it doesn't cost significantly more, sure.

All that being said, here's what I've come up with so far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.97 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.68 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150HG 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case Fan: Antec 75024 79.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.99 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($49.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Laser Mouse ($55.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $1326.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-24 18:06 EDT-0400)

I'm a little over budget, but I'm hoping by staying on the lookout over the next few months I can knock off a few hundred from there. Plus, I'll likely be selling my current laptop and getting something a bit more modestly specced notebook to eventually bring to med school for in class note taking and the like, hopefully ending up with some spare change in the process.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That cpu price is instore only.

I'd go with Haswell for you and a GB Z87 matx board in the op. Upgradeable, good matx board, better at emulation.

Have you looked at smaller cases, or a $300 GPU?
760 Info should be tomorrow

mkenyon

Banned
I'll throw some ideas at you in like an hour after I get home, definitely have some ways you can trim down the budget and size of that.

OK so back to my friend's build (ordered my 770! Thanks to everyone here for the advice!):

Opened this processor (Intel i7-3820) and found there was no stock heatsink? The fuck? I thought it was Intel's "thing" that they always packed in an ehhh but at least serviceable heatsink? I mean, in the end my friend's gonna be rocking a 212 EVO which is far better than any stock heatsink Intel would've put in but I would've liked some heads up on the box or something so we wouldn't have had to wait around an extra few days.

How long as this no-heatsink thing been going on at Intel? Last CPU I bought was the i5 750 back in 2010 and that had a heatsink.

HoosTrax

OK so back to my friend's build (ordered my 770! Thanks to everyone here for the advice!):

Opened this processor (Intel i7-3820) and found there was no stock heatsink? The fuck? I thought it was Intel's "thing" that they always packed in an ehhh but at least serviceable heatsink? I mean, in the end my friend's gonna be rocking a 212 EVO which is far better than any stock heatsink Intel would've put in but I would've liked some heads up on the box or something so we wouldn't have had to wait around an extra few days.

How long as this no-heatsink thing been going on at Intel? Last CPU I bought was the i5 750 back in 2010 and that had a heatsink.
If there was a heatsink in that box, it would be the thickness of a wafer...

They've sold bare, OEM CPUs for quite some time. Not sure if they were packaged as nicely as that though, with the fancy box art.

knitoe

They've sold bare, OEM CPUs for quite some time. Not sure if they were packaged as nicely as that though, with the fancy box art.

Seems like the socket 2011 CPUs don't include heatsink and fan. It's listed as not included in the "Details" description page. The others still do.

Seems like the socket 2011 CPUs don't include heatsink and fan. It's listed as not included in the "Details" description page. The others still do.

All righty. Not too upset at the end of the day (again, he gets a better heatsink after all), just took me by surprise. Should've figured since the box was way thinner than my i5 box, but I figured it was some newfangled thin-wafer type deal.

It was packaged nicely with boxart and all, just the box was thinner and the processor itself + standard packing was inside.

HoosTrax

All righty. Not too upset at the end of the day (again, he gets a better heatsink after all), just took me by surprise. Should've figured since the box was way thinner than my i5 box, but I figured it was some newfangled thin-wafer type deal.

It was packaged nicely with boxart and all, just the box was thinner and the processor itself + standard packing was inside.

Remember when stock heatsinks were these?
LL

Then they started looking like this:
images

In a few years, they're going to give you the fan plus a sheet of aluminum to place on top of the CPU...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Remember when stock heatsinks were these?
LL

Then they started looking like this:
images

In a few years, they're going to give you the fan plus a sheet of aluminum to place on top of the CPU...

And it will come permanently attached to the motherboard! It'll be a decent closed loop cooler, but you'll have to pay Intel to unlock the pump to 100% because fuck us that's why.

Just wanted to stop by and thank everyone in this thread especially the OP. Finally finished up my modest i5 rig and playing through Borderlands 2, CS GO, TF2 and Dota 2 maxed at smooth fps is just unreal. could not have done it without this thread.

Smokey

Anybody have a displayport -> DVI adapter they recommend? Seems there's a lot of products out there of this nature that aren't very good..

That cpu price is instore only.

I'd go with Haswell for you and a GB Z87 matx board in the op. Upgradeable, good matx board, better at emulation.

Have you looked at smaller cases, or a $300 GPU?
760 Info should be tomorrow

I was actually gonna just go with the 760, but I couldn't find it anywhere, of course now realizing that it's not out just yet. But yeah, downgrading the GPU one tier is fine. I went with one of the towers in the enhanced section because I wasn't sure if the budget cases would be big enough. No space issues as far as you can tell?

Is the one case fan fine for what I've got? And can I use the Windows 7 install disk that came with my laptop with the new desktop? (as that shaves off a good $90 right there)

Also with Haswell, I've heard from you in the OP and other places say that the TIM needs to be replaced to get the most out of it. Doing so is not particularly dangerous eh? At least for a PC building newbie such as myself.

ss_lemonade

Also with Haswell, I've heard from you in the OP and other places say that the TIM needs to be replaced to get the most out of it. Doing so is not particularly dangerous eh? At least for a PC building newbie such as myself.
From the little results I've seen of the 4770k, seems like even stock haswell can be as fast as a decently clocked (around 4.5) sandy/ivy chip in emulation land

Fredescu

An Australian retailer has a "today only" deal for a GTX770 2GB for $420. A 7970 OC (not a GE, but 1Ghz core clock all the same) is $399. We get three free AMD games in Aus rather than the four you guys get in the states, but that's still pretty good because I don't have any of them.

Is GTX770 vs 7970 OC a coin toss? Or is one a lot better than the other? The Tech Report review is kinda leaning me towards the 770 to be honest.

I don't have any games that I need to perform well in particular. I could also wait for the new AMD cards if it's going to be ~3 months, but ~6 months would probably be too long.

So:

1) GTX770 for $420
2) 7970 OC for $399
3) Wait for AMD for free

Any opinions?

Sober

How much is the special? Which partner is it that is the branded 770? Unless it's a superclocked evga with ACX blower they are all floating around the same price more or less. Well, as far as I can tell anyway.

Fredescu

How much is the special? Which partner is it that is the branded 770? Unless it's a superclocked evga with ACX blower they are all floating around the same price more or less. Well, as far as I can tell anyway.

Palit. From what I can see, Palit have released a new heatsink. This is the non-Jetstream one, so I guess they're clearing it out. It's a substantial price difference, everywhere else is at least $470.

Sober

Palit. From what I can see, Palit have released a new heatsink. This is the non-Jetstream one, so I guess they're clearing it out. It's a substantial price difference, everywhere else is at least $470.
It should be okay but check to see if their warranty if up to your standards or if anyone has impressions if they have to end up RMA'ing their cards.

Honestly because of the Nvidia Greenlight Program I don't think you need to worry about partner cards ending up being shitty because they have to be at least as good as the reference.

So after a few days of research into custom water cooling options (the only type of water cooling I thought existed), I ran into a Haswell review that used a Corsair H100i and my mind was blown. Substantially cheaper than a custom water cooling solution with comparable effectiveness.

My question is - does anything like the H100i exist for GPUs?

MLH

So after a few days of research into custom water cooling options (the only type of water cooling I thought existed), I ran into a Haswell review that used a Corsair H100i and my mind was blown. Substantially cheaper than a custom water cooling solution with comparable effectiveness.

My question is - does anything like the H100i exist for GPUs?

Swiftech H220? it's the same as the corsair (closed loop, cpu block + pump with rad) but allows you to open the loop and add a gpu block. I haven't used one but it is probably a pain in the arse to do, since it wouldn't be easy to top up & bleed once you open it. IMO if you want a full cpu & gpu water cooling it would easier with a custom loop.

Anton668

Swiftech H220? it's the same as the corsair (closed loop, cpu block + pump with rad) but allows you to open the loop and add a gpu block. I haven't used one but it is probably a pain in the arse to do, since it wouldn't be easy to top up & bleed once you open it.

why would it be so hard? unless you mount it in a inconvenient way. I dont see why it would be anymore difficult than any other loop.

Addnan

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Should be sub $300 and sub 670 performance. Guess nVidia wants us to buy the remaining 670 stock before the 760Ti is released with 1344 shaders.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Addnan

Should be sub $300 and sub 670 performance. Guess nVidia wants us to buy the remaining 670 stock before the 760Ti is released with 1344 shaders.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Was always going to be like that. If they did sub 300 at 670 performance where would they put the Ti!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom