• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never hear much about the Gigabyte GTX 970 around here or in the 970 thread. Is there a reason people go for the Asus Strix or the MSI one over this? I feel like this one has really good reviews.

I think there is a lot of talk about it. I have 2, i see plenty of owners in the GTX 970/980 thread discussing it. One of it's disadvantages is that it's a very long card, so it won't fit in some cases. It also is supposed to be a bit louder with fan noise then other 970s but at least it results in better cooling.

Lunar15

I think there is a lot of talk about it. I have 2, i see plenty of owners in the GTX 970/980 thread discussing it. One of it's disadvantages is that it's a very long card, so it won't fit in some cases. It also is supposed to be a bit louder with fan noise then other 970s but at least it results in better cooling.

Temp is more important to me than sound, so I guess that makes me feel pretty good. I've got no problem with length either, I already checked.

Thanks for the response, just kinda felt like I saw more about the strix and the msi, so I was getting a bit worried the Gigabyte was cursed or something.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Ordered our parts! This is scary stuff!

Only thing we didn't order is Windows... am I being sort of silly in wanting to try Linux first?

The Llama

Ordered our parts! This is scary stuff!

Only thing we didn't order is Windows... am I being sort of silly in wanting to try Linux first?
It's your computer, install whatever OS you want! I do remember reading on here that some CPU power management stuff doesn't really work right in Linux though, so look into that.

M.D

This is getting really annoying :|

After fixing my problem with a non-paged pool memory leak caused by this Killer NIC driver, my system is now really sluggish for some and I suspect it has to do with memory again.. my cached memory is 8.4 GB which I suspect is causing this

I have no idea what to do tho :\

LilJoka

Is it true that I could just boot my new computer with the windows 10 technical preview and just use that as my new OS?

You could, but its not really meant for that. Its pretty stable, but a lot of information is sent back to MS that you may not want to share on a daily system.

This is getting really annoying :|

After fixing my problem with a non-paged pool memory leak caused by this Killer NIC driver, my system is now really sluggish for some and I suspect it has to do with memory again.. my cached memory is 8.4 GB which I suspect is causing this

I have no idea what to do tho :\

Try an older Killer NIC driver.
Check if the Killer homepage has a newer Killer NIC driver than your motherboard page.

One-Shot

Banned
Well my SSD is coming earlier than expected tomorrow which is great..except that my video card and RAM is still scheduled for Tuesday *sigh*.

RGM79

Shuttle SZ77R5, and will want to cool a i5 2500k.

You could use this stock heatsink, but otherwise, be prepared to pay money. Ebay still sells the Asetek 545LC for $85 plus shipping, which seems expensive. Or you could move up to a better case that will let you mount a larger CPU cooler. A cheaper solution would be moving up to a standard tower case, but there are small mITX cases that also offer better cooling options, too. Assuming you're in the US, there's the Cooler Master Elite 130 for $35 after $10 rebate. It has a mount for a 120mm water cooling radiator, so you can buy any compatible 120mm water cooler. No one makes 92mm water coolers any more, but 120mm water cooling is extremely common.

Newegg has a bundle deal where you can get both the Cooler Master Elite 130 and Cooler Master Seidon 120V for $54 after $30 of mail in rebates on both products. That's cheaper than buying the Asetek 545LC off ebay, and you get better performance and a better case. than the Asetek 545LC and the Shuttle case you have now.

Since I typed that post, I've made some more improvements. To save you the time, I'll just link you my improved build that I based on yours. Even with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo included, you're saving around $30 off the cost of the original build. The case is still incompatible though, it's up to you if you want to use the money saved for a different case or go even cheaper for now by skipping the 212 Evo.

The only issue is that the motherboard may need a BIOS update before you can use the processor with it. However, that was already an issue with the earlier B85 motherboard you listed, not sure why it wasn't mentioned by PCPartPicker. Whether or not it requires a BIOS update will depend on what the date of manufacture was, and what the details on the motherboard or the side of the box says.

I looked up some details. If you do go with that Asrock H81M-HDS motherboard, then as long as date of manufacture is July 2014 or later, you'll be fine. If it doesn't say, then you can check the sticker on the motherboard and if it says 1.80 or later, you'll be fine.

Thanks for all your help. The combo discount will probably be over by the time he's able to purchase all the parts, so I left the Team Vulcan RAM in the build. I think we've hit the target, so thanks for the recommendations. Updating the motherboard, if need be, won't be a problem.

Gazkapop

That's why r/microsoftsoftwareswap exists ;)

Wait, those are actually legit keys?

Been wanting to put together a half decent rig for my first build and saving £60 on an OS would help massively with that. It just seems way to good to be true at the prices that the people on there sell them for.

paolo11

Update on my build. Using default fan curve by MSI Afterburner and replacing my stock fans with Corsair SP High Performance fans, my average temps on GPU 1 is 70 or below playing max settings on AC Unity and Crysis 3. Will try Witcher 2 on this new set up.

Oh, my completed build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/cnXH99

Addnan

Been wanting to put together a half decent rig for my first build and saving £60 on an OS would help massively with that. It just seems way to good to be true at the prices that the people on there sell them for.

As far as I know keys are either through students who can get through their uni or some MSDN thing that I do not understand. Regardless, the keys activate perfectly fine and gives you a legit copy of Windows. I have bought about 4 from there already.

M.D

You could, but its not really meant for that. Its pretty stable, but a lot of information is sent back to MS that you may not want to share on a daily system.

Try an older Killer NIC driver.
Check if the Killer homepage has a newer Killer NIC driver than your motherboard page.

I actually had an older driver and just updated to the newest one, but it didn't solve anything.

The problem this driver caused is in actual used memory, it would eat up memory from the moment I turned on my PC till it filled up everything, but its now solved.

I don't know if this is the actual cause of my PC feeling sluggish, but the cached memory is now up to 12.5GB and it just keeps getting higher
No idea what it's actually responsible for, but that seems way to high either way.

It was sitting at 4.5GB for a while, then all of a sudden (at the same time I started downloading Saints Row IV from steam, don't know if it has anything to do with it) it started climbing everything second

Fargo_Dog

Banned
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can give me a hand here!

I use my PC for gaming and video editing. For gaming, I use a 1080p display and for video editing I'm rarely (if ever) working with material exceeding 2k. I'm going to be picking up a new GPU in the next month and was wondering if the 980 was really worth it over the 970? I'm not ardent on playing at 60, though it is nice when it happens. I do like to crank the visual fidelity, however.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread, so I apologise, but there's so much to read through!

Thanks for any help!

The keys are legit, obtained through Dreamspark or MSDN. Selling them, however, is not and violates the ToS for those programs. It's why selling Microsoft keys is no longer allowed on r/softwareswap.
Microsoft caught on and contacted Reddit.

The MicrosoftSoftwareSwap subreddit was started as a result. Once Microsoft catches on again, they'll move on to something like "WindowsSoftwareSwap" or "OSSoftwareSwap," if those don't exist already.

RGM79

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can give me a hand here!

I use my PC for gaming and video editing. For gaming, I use a 1080p display and for video editing I'm rarely (if ever) working with material exceeding 2k. I'm going to be picking up a new GPU in the next month and was wondering if the 980 was really worth it over the 970? I'm not ardent on playing at 60, though it is nice when it happens. I do like to crank the visual fidelity, however.

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread, so I apologise, but there's so much to read through!

Thanks for any help!
Gaming performance-wise, the 980 is something around 10-15% faster. It's not really worth the higher cost, and some GTX 970 models can be overclocked to match the GTX 980 at stock speed in some aspects.

Azulsky

Do we have any gaming mouse gurus here.

My G600 is starting to double click and its out of warranty afaik so I wanted to replace it.

I generally find I do a claw or modified claw(fulcrum further back on forearm) grip. I have pretty big hands.

I would kind of like to stay wired and I have had bad experiences with Razor before so Im staying away.

I dont really have a price ceiling, which is even more irrelevant this week due to sales.

Currently eyeing the G502. Is this mouse good? There are a few mouse companies that I dont know much about like Roccat and Steelseries.

Fargo_Dog

Banned
Gaming performance-wise, the 980 is something around 10-15% faster. It's not really worth the higher cost, and some GTX 970 models can be overclocked to match the GTX 980 at stock speed in some aspects.

Cool, thanks.

What model of 970 would you recommend? I'm currently looking at the EVGA ACX SC.

Smokey

I want a 4k monitor with really high pixel density otherwise it's pointless, (probably will still use it at 2560x1440) it needs to have Gsync, preferably a non TN panel and an input lag that doesn't kill gaming. Does it even exist, and can I get it for under $800 USD?

Nope.

The Acer 4k Gsync meets everything you listed except...it's a TN panel. Don't count on non TN Gsync panels anytime soon.

acksman

Finally started messing around with some OC. This is my first run, but liking where this is heading. Once prices go down I will grab more 980's and this will run Star Citizen no prob!

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3356492

Uz07ofk.png

RGM79

Cool, thanks.

What model of 970 would you recommend? I'm currently looking at the EVGA ACX SC.

It's hard to go wrong, all of them are pretty good, it could come down to cost and availability around you. If it's the ACX 1.0, avoid it. There are problems with the cooler on that one. The third heatpipe is useless and doesn't do anything. The ACX 2.0 is fine, though.

The Asus Strix is great for low noise (the fan actually shuts off at low temperature and turns back on when needed), although it's not like other models are extremely loud. The Gigabyte G1 has high stock clock setting and good noise levels but is relatively long, so check case compatibility. EVGA's variants are more compact and will fit in smaller cases (without having to get the ITX versions that Asus and Gigabyte are offering), and the FTW has the highest stock clock. MSI's model has excellent power circuitry and can be overclocked to match the GTX 980's performance at stock speed.

colt92

Neo Member
Cool, thanks.

It's hard to go wrong, all of them are pretty good, it could come down to cost and availability around you. If it's the ACX 1.0, avoid it. There are problems with the cooler on that one. The third heatpipe is useless and doesn't do anything. The ACX 2.0 is fine, though.

The Asus Strix is great for low noise (the fan actually shuts off at low temperature and turns back on when needed), although it's not like other models are extremely loud. The Gigabyte G1 has high stock clock setting and good noise levels but is relatively long, so check case compatibility. EVGA's variants are more compact and will fit in smaller cases (without having to get the ITX versions that Asus and Gigabyte are offering), and the FTW has the highest stock clock. MSI's model has excellent power circuitry and can be overclocked to match the GTX 980's performance at stock speed.

The MSI one also turns the fans off when temps are below 60ºC in idle.

Eiolon

Thanks for any suggestions you can give! Be as conservative as possible please.

Your Current Specs: None

Budget: $1000 (includes shipping/tax). I have Amazon Prime and I get 5% cash back from them with Chase Freedom.

Main Use: 5 gaming, 3 watching Blu-ray movies

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: WoW, D3 with max settings

Looking to reuse any parts?: Dell 2412m

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? ASAP

Will you be overclocking?: No

Ashhong

My friend is looking to build a new computer and I am trying to convince her to get an i5 4690k vs an AMD 8350 for her gaming needs. Is that the better route? And if so, can someone provide a link with benchmarks showing that?

Getting ready to buy a the Gigabyte 970, but am thinking about PSUs. Should I hop on one of Newegg's PSU deals right now or wait until tomorrow to spot their Cyber Monday deals? Any chance their Cyber Monday sale is actually worse?

Just bought a Kingston ssd. I have no clue on how to put the operating system on it and keep my hard drive files intact. Any guides out there? What should go onto the ssd?

(1tb hardrive (keeping) and a 250 gb ssd)

Sykotik

Just bought a Kingston ssd. I have no clue on how to put the operating system on it and keep my hard drive files intact. Any guides out there? What should go onto the ssd?

(1tb hardrive (keeping) and a 250 gb ssd)

Install a fresh Windows on the SSD and use the 1TB as secondary storage. Just make sure you're not over-writing the 1TB when you install (may want to unplug it just to be safe - make sure the system is powered off). You should still be able to access most of your old files, but some programs may run into issue with losing their registry keys.

Kumo

What are you trying to do with it? Are you planning to SLI etc

Probably won't SLI/crossfire anytime soon (if ever). I'm planning on a midrange build and I know that's more wattage than I need. But the price makes it seem like it's worth it. I'm wondering if it's going to be reliable though.

Etnos

Banned
Quick question: I'm building myself a Haswell-Maxwell (Core i5 - nvidia970gtx) box, 8gb ram.

Would a 400w PSU be enough? or should I get a 500w one?

jrush64

Banned
Please listen to my story.... this may be my last chance....

A month ago I was building a computer. I posted my build here which is this and got useful information.

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

Kingston 8gb DDR3 Memory

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

BitFenix No Power Supply MicroATX Tower Case BFC-PRM-300-WWXKW-RP (Bitfenix Prodigy M)

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

When I got all my parts, I tried setting it up but It didnt work. I tried numerous things but i still couldnt get it to work. I went to the market and tested 2 other mATX motherboards and I still couldnt get it to work.

-Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
-Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX...

However I tried an ATX motherboard and it finally worked with all my components. It also meant, I had to buy another case which I did.

-Gigabyte GA-P85-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Now I have a chance to order another mATX motherboard from the US as my brother is over there right now.

My question is, does anyone have any idea why none of the mATX motherboards didnt work with my processor but the ATX did? And what other brand of mootherboard should I get now, I'm not getting an Asus anymore.

Anyone knows a decent GTX 970 that has silent cooling?

Edit: and a X99 MicroATX board? I want to build an HTPC :).

Edit 2: I'm having second thoughts. I cannot go back to using Windows.

The Llama

Please listen to my story.... this may be my last chance....

A month ago I was building a computer. I posted my build here which is this and got useful information.

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST2000DM001

Kingston 8gb DDR3 Memory

Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

BitFenix No Power Supply MicroATX Tower Case BFC-PRM-300-WWXKW-RP (Bitfenix Prodigy M)

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97M-PLUS

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

When I got all my parts, I tried setting it up but It didnt work. I tried numerous things but i still couldnt get it to work. I went to the market and tested 2 other mATX motherboards and I still couldnt get it to work.

-Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
-Asus B85M-E/CSM Micro ATX...

However I tried an ATX motherboard and it finally worked with all my components. It also meant, I had to buy another case which I did.

-Gigabyte GA-P85-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Now I have a chance to order another mATX motherboard from the US as my brother is over there right now.

My question is, does anyone have any idea why none of the mATX motherboards didnt work with my processor but the ATX did? And what other brand of mootherboard should I get now, I'm not getting an Asus anymore.

Just guessing, but I bet it's because those are all older mobo's and they might need a BIOS update to support the 4690k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom