• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo X

The extra lanes of PCI-E aren't huge now, but in 2-3 years? Probably will make a difference.

Are you on X79 or the consumer socket? x8/x8 PCI-E 2.0 would certainly hamper Titan-Xs.

Smokey is still running a 4930K IIRC.

In terms of max OC, why do you think that? You were talking about a Noctua NH-D15 or a H100i. Either of those should have no problem taking a 2011-v3 proc to 4.6+ GHz. Most of the 5820Ks and 5930Ks can hit 4.2 on stock voltage.

The reason I suggest 5930K is that you get all the PCI-E lanes you need/want. You can run two video cards at full bandwidth, plus extra cards for whatever else suits your fancy, whether it be a Soundcard, NVME drive, or whatever. 5820K could do that too, but since you're a high end GPU guy with a decent sized budget, $200 insurance seems like a no-brainer.

I'm on Z68 bro. When I built this PC, I was running a single GTX 570. lol

Never thought the 2500k would last this long.

On board sound is good enough to the point where I don't think I will use my Titanium HD sound card in the new build. On the storage side of things, gonna go with a 512GB M.2 SSD as primary(which I don't think uses any of those PCI-E lanes?) and run another secondary through SATA 3.0.

Are there any chip set benefits to 1151 vs X99?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm on Z68 bro. When I built this PC, I was running a single GTX 570. lol

Never thought the 2500k would last this long.

On board sound is good enough to the point where I don't think I will use my Titanium HD sound card in the new build. On the storage side of things, gonna go with a 512GB M.2 SSD as primary(which I don't think uses any of those PCI-E lanes?) and run another secondary through SATA 3.0.

Are there any chip set benefits to 1151 vs X99?
Whoah, yeah, your Titan-Xs are most definitely bottlenecked.

The M.2 drives do indeed use PCI-E lanes.

Only big benefit to 1151 is that more motherboards have USB 3.1C. Link courtesy of Durante on X99 boards that have it.

But if you do get a Z170 board, I would definitely suggest one with a PLX chip. ASUS WS or Gigabyte SOC Force would be my two choices there, with probably a nod towards the ASUS WS for someone who doesn't tinker too much.
Is SATA3 going to be on the Skylake Mobos? Does that make the new SSD I just bought obsolete already?
All SATA versions are backwards and forwards compatible. So, no.
The gtx costs $20 more which one should I get?
X99 i7-5820K
H100i should be fine unless you want the best of the best.

My asus mobo has this super bright obnoxious back light led start button on it that's super annoying and on 24/7.

Any idea how to turn the light off? I absolutely hate it. Lights up like my whole wall at night.

Looked through the bios and couldn't find anything.

76NzJZC.jpg

GVFtUbp.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
My asus mobo has this super bright obnoxious back light led start button on it that's super annoying and on 24/7.

Any idea how to turn the light off? I absolutely hate it. Lights up like my whole wall at night.

Looked through the bios and couldn't find anything.
Put a piece of black electrical tape over it.

I sent an R9 270x in for RMA and they say it's going to be 28 working days before they will repair or replace it.

I have been looking at 4GB 960 Prices and for £197 the Gigabyte G1 looks like a great card and massive bonus is that MGSV comes free with it, I have yet to buy the game and intend to in the future.

The 270X is 2GB, is it worth shelling out nearly £200 on a 4GB 960 or should I just wait for replacement 270X?

I game in 1080p and have a haswell i5 4440 so the VRAM isn't that important to me.

DPB

I sent an R9 270x in for RMA and they say it's going to be 28 working days before they will repair or replace it.

I have been looking at 4GB 960 Prices and for £197 the Gigabyte G1 looks like a great card and massive bonus is that MGSV comes free with it, I have yet to buy the game and intend to in the future.

The 270X is 2GB, is it worth shelling out nearly £200 on a 4GB 960 or should I just wait for replacement 270X?

I game in 1080p and have a haswell i5 4440 so the VRAM isn't that important to me.

I'd either wait or go for a cheaper model, that's one of the more expensive 960s available. Sadly, the midrange has really stagnated over the last couple of years, there isn't anything that gives a huge jump in performance - a 960 is only about 20 to 40% faster than a 270X, depending on the game.

DPB

So it's not worth getting 4GB 960 and then selling 270x when it's replaced?

If you can save up another £50-70 a 970 or 390 should last you much longer - those are about twice as fast as a 270X. I'm in the same boat as you wanting to upgrade my 660, but I don't think there's anything good value below the 970, now that all the 290s have gone.

I actually had a EVGA 960 SC briefly but returned it - it was an okay upgrade but not significant enough to put up with the coil whine of that particular card.

Are USB type C and 3.1 related? Like, does a 3.1 port necessarily mean it has a type C connector or how does that work.

Do any devices even support C/3.1 yet ?

Pachimari

I'm thinking my next purchase for my PC setup will be a better WiFi router. I have been looking at the Netgear Nighthawk X4 which has Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and up to 2.33 Gbps. It has 4 x Gigabit LAN and 2 x USB 3.0 and eSATA, and has a 1.4 GHz Dual Core processor.

I know absolutely nothing about WiFi routers, but last year, I bought this cheap D-Link Go-RT-N150, and I don't know if it is because of this device, that I have lost my Internet connection more than a couple of times, and it have become slower a few times. I see the specifications are four 10/100 LAN ports and a 10/100 INTERNET port.

At my place, I have a 60/60 Mbit/s Fiber connection.

My connected devices are 2 desktop computers, two phones, 360, PS3, PS4 and a NAS with all of my movies which I stream to my computer. Most are connected through ethernet cable.

Will I see a difference with the Netgear Nighthawk X4 compared to my current D-Link N150?

RGM79

I'm thinking my next purchase for my PC setup will be a better WiFi router. I have been looking at the Netgear Nighthawk X4 which has Dual Band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and up to 2.33 Gbps. It has 4 x Gigabit LAN and 2 x USB 3.0 and eSATA, and has a 1.4 GHz Dual Core processor.

I know absolutely nothing about WiFi routers, but last year, I bought this cheap D-Link Go-RT-N150, and I don't know if it is because of this device, that I have lost my Internet connection more than a couple of times, and it have become slower a few times. I see the specifications are four 10/100 LAN ports and a 10/100 INTERNET port.

My connected devices are 2 desktop computers, two phones, 360, PS3, PS4 and a NAS with all of my movies which I stream to my computer. Most are connected through ethernet cable.

Will I see a difference with the Netgear Nighthawk X4 compared to my current D-Link N150?

Yeah, you'll notice a difference. I should point out that unless the devices you are wirelessly connecting are capable of wifi AC, then you won't get full advertised speed, and even then your devices will probably be limited to a certain speed. My Nexus 5 smartphone is limited to 150Mbps (I think) over wifi AC even if my router supports supports a higher speed, for example.

I wonder if it's the device not working well or if you're not getting a strong signal, though.

Are USB type C and 3.1 related? Like, does a 3.1 port necessarily mean it has a type C connector or how does that work.

Do any devices even support C/3.1 yet ?

Certain new devices do, like the OnePlus 2 which has a USB type C port (device itself only supports USB 2.0 speeds). So far there's not a lot of USB 3.1 type devices, but things like drive enclosures are coming.

Um... Well, maybe.

I would've thought they'd have an option to turn it off like the rog logo thing tho.

There is. Check page 3-49 of your motherboard manual.

Maniac

Banned
So... Yeah, I'm just having too darn much trouble deciding on a PSU. There's so friggin many to choose from, soooooo is there any chance you'd be able to give me a hand? It would be preferable if the PSU was available on Proshop.dk as I know one of the employees and can get a discount (Already able to get about 70-80 kroner off of the Noctua NH-D15, which is about $10 saved)

Either way, if you can be arsed giving a hand yet again, I'd love it. If not that is, ofcourse, alright. I'm just... Terrible at deciding and it's a lot of work when you've no prior knowledge of PSUs.

Just to add, what I was thinking was something around the 800w mark, since I imagine that should be good enough and leave room for future SLI use or some such.

Quoted cause I'm still at a loss. SMH. :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Just buy a cheaper router with a gigabit Ethernet switch built in.

Or even cheaper and simpler - buy a gigabit switch and connect all your wired equipment to it, and then run one cable from the switch to your router. When they are talking to each other, your computers will go through the gigabit switch bypassing the router and you won't be slowed down. When they need to get things from the Internet, your computers will go through the router, which will be limited to 100mb but that is fine for your internet speed,

NETGEAR GS105
Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000E5SES

knitoe

The Netgear should give you much better signal strength, and thus, more stable and faster connections. To really take advantage, you need to have AC capable wifi devices. Unfortunately, the 360, PS3 and PS4 won't. For them, you will want to also get a 4 port AC wireless bridge and wired connect them to it.

mkenyon

Banned
If you are serious about SLI, then this: http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/EVGA-SuperNOVA-850-G2-850W-PSU-2438833.html

But, don't plan for a possible future of SLI. If that's the case, then it's almost always a better option to sell your single card and upgrade to the best single card you can afford. SLI is for achieving performance that is otherwise unattainable with a single card.

If that has dissuaded you from SLI, then: http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/Cooler-Master-V650S-Semi-Modular-650W-2426932.html

I've been looking at PSUs as well. These two are on sale/rebate and not sure what to pull the trigger on. XFX Core Edition 750W and EVGA SuperNOVA Modular 750W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207015

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025

Looks like EVGA is recommended in the OP so I'm leaning towards that one.

This thermaltake modular 80+ Gold is pretty cheap as well but I don't know how they are for PSUs. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-jawYFykd3Syo20IjesjvEw

Been trying to decide on a second monitor but I'm having trouble picking one.

Any recommendations? I currently have the Acer XB240H 24" G-SYNC Monitor but I now need a second monitor for work efficiency.
Will be doing 3D modeling, VFX, Animation etc so I wanted a second monitor so that I have more room to work with.

Been thinking about getting an IPS monitor but there seems to be a ton of options.

I thought of getting the Dell UltraSharp U2414H but I'm thinking the thin bezel will drive me mad being next to my current Acer monitor. Should I ignore the bezel and just get that?

Any other recommendations for a 24" monitor to use as a second monitor?
Anyone?

RGM79

I have about $800 to spend, but I want to put some money to get a solid, widescreen monitor (like the super widescreen ones). As for building stuff, I have a kind of anxiety over the idea of doing that, even if it's someone else who is trained.

Do you have a monitor in mind? And you mean you're looking for a prebuilt PC?

I'm assuming DDR3 sticks won't work on new the new skylake mobos with their DDR3L slots?

I'm looking to upgrade soon, but wanted to keep the 16gb RAM I have. I was going to get a 4790k, a new mobo to support it and keep the ram, or is it worth it to get a 6700k, new mobo and new ram?

RGM79

I'm assuming DDR3 sticks won't work on new the new skylake mobos with their DDR3L slots?

I'm looking to upgrade soon, but wanted to keep the 16gb RAM I have. I was going to get a 4790k, a new mobo to support it and keep the ram, or is it worth it to get a 6700k, new mobo and new ram?

If you want to save money, just go for the 4790K and Z97 motherboard. It should be more than enough to handle games and work for the next few years, maybe long enough to hold you down until the next big processor and motherboard release that will replace Skylake and Z170. Performance-wise Skylake is not that large a leap from Haswell.

Just know that DDR3 is on the way out, the next motherboard and RAM you will buy in the future will definitely be DDR4. Some people won't mind buying Z170 and DDR4 now because they know they can reuse it down the line.

Wait so do the routers that the ISP provides you suck and that you should get another router for better speeds
Depends on the router, and what speeds you're talking about. Some companies like T-Mobile are awesome enough to provide high end routers, but more often than not the routers that most providers give you are low end or not great.

Now, what do you mean by speeds? Internet connection speeds? Home network speeds? Wired or wireless speeds? Are you not getting the advertised speeds? Or do you want something faster for streaming video or games?

Izayoi

Banned
So is the consensus to just go with Skylake in the name of forward compatibility, or stick with Haswell-E for more cores and equal/better performance?

I'm currently running an i7-2600k, so either would be an upgrade...

To expound, I would like to use an M.2 SSD for my OS, so that would mean either Haswell-E or Skylake, unless I'm missing something.

RGM79

So is the consensus to just go with Skylake in the name of forward compatibility, or stick with Haswell-E for more cores and equal/better performance?

I'm currently running an i7-2600k, so either would be an upgrade...

Haswell-E refers to the 5XXX line of processors on X99 motherboards, though. Both are pretty forward-looking as they both support DDR4 and newer X99 motherboards will start to support USB type C and USB 3.1 more.

Your 2600K isn't that far behind Skylake in terms of performance, but as mentioned about a page back Skylake would make for a better experience concerning game frametimes and overall smoothness.

Seems like DDR4-3000 or higher is necessity when considering building a new high end Skylake build. Going from DDR4-1600 to 3000 made some dramatic difference in gaming, from falling behind haswell/broadwell to noticeably inching ahead.

http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/pro..._i7_6700k,924,3234508,3.html#spielebenchmarks

Benches are with 980ti.

Yeah, the higher speed RAM seems to really help. HardOCP and Guru3D came to a similar conclusion, although with differing performance gaps.

Lolcomin

Banned
Depends on the router, and what speeds you're talking about. Some companies like T-Mobile are awesome enough to provide high end routers, but more often than not the routers that most providers give you are low end or not great.

Now, what do you mean by speeds? Internet connection speeds? Home network speeds? Wired or wireless speeds? Are you not getting the advertised speeds? Or do you want something faster for streaming video or games?
My mom decided to go with century link >.> and yeah with their router they gave us we're not getting advertised speeds, much less in fact. So would changing the router help.

RGM79

My mom decided to go with century link >.> and yeah with their router they gave us we're not getting advertised speeds, much less in fact. So would changing the router help.

Then you mean internet speeds? Try plugging the computer directly into the modem and not through the router, see if that makes a difference.

Lolcomin

Banned
Then you mean internet speeds? Try plugging the computer directly into the modem and not through the router, see if that makes a difference.
Did that before and it was still slow lol, I only moved to wireless as my room is downstairs and the modem is in the living room

Mordeccai

When I lived at home, Century Link was the only company that provided internet to my area. We never once got our advertised speeds, 2 megabytes per sec was what our net speeds hovered aroubd, and that's wired.

If you have the option abandon that company immediately. They were nothing but terrible to us in terms of customer service, and because they were the only company to offer internet in our area they had no motivation to increase our speeds or lay new lines.

RGM79

Did that before and it was still slow lol, I only moved to wireless as my room is downstairs and the modem is in the living room

Then it has nothing to do with the router. What downstream/upstream speeds are you supposed to get and what are you actually getting? You're probably going to have to take this up with Century Link's customer support and/or tech support.

M.D

Hmm, this is strange..

When I had Windows 8.1, my PC felt like it was lagging and generally not performing as well as it should (strictly talking about Windows), and after a suggestion I ran an SSD benchmark and found that my writing speeds were terrible

I ran the same benchmark after installing Windows 10 and it looked like it was fixed and the writing speed is where it should be, but today I started feeling my PC lagging again and sure enough after running the benchmark, the writing speeds is down to terrible levels again

What can cause this? I'll switch it to another port like someone originally suggested when I first asked, but it's pretty strange how it was fine and all of a sudden it went back down

RGM79

Hmm, this is strange..

When I had Windows 8.1, my PC felt like it was lagging and generally not performing as well as it should (strictly talking about Windows), and after a suggestion I ran an SSD benchmark and found that my writing speeds were terrible

I ran the same benchmark after installing Windows 10 and it looked like it was fixed and the writing speed is where it should be, but today I started feeling my PC lagging again and sure enough after running the benchmark, the writing speeds is down to terrible levels again

What can cause this? I'll switch it to another port like someone originally suggested when I first asked, but it's pretty strange how it was fine and all of a sudden it went back down

You'll need to tell us your system specs and including a screenshot of the benchmark wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom