• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigabit ports allow hard-wired devices to connect at a faster speed.

Sorry, I'm still not entire sure - is it only your wifi signal that's dropping out or do even wired connections occasionally fail?

What country are you in?

I usually download all of the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website, and keep it on a USB drive.

Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot. I was really hoping that upgrading to Win10 and doing a complete reset would fix the issues.

jacobeid

Banned
Does anyone think that we'll see the r9 290 around $200 near Black Friday?

Edit: I'm going to elaborate. Currently I'm running an i5 2500, AMD 7850 2gb, 8gb DDR3 ram. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new monitor, another 8gb ram, and an SSD. I'll be upgrading to windows 10 after that. I have a PS4/XB1/Wii U in addition to my PC and typically I'll turn on the PS4 more than the PC. My 7850 is definitely starting to show its age and I have the itch to upgrade. However, I want to think for the future and make sure that I get a card that will last me until (hopefully) around the time the next generation launches. The only game that I'm planning to play this year on PC is Fallout 4, but I want that shit to be golden and I don't trust the 7850 to give me the performance I want, especially with mods.

I'm concerned about going to a 970 and having the vram issue bottleneck my system in a few years but due to the fact that I have other systems I don't want to drop the $650 on a 980 ti or anything. If I can get the 290 for around $200 near Black Friday I'd do that and dump my 7850 to make the 290 slightly less expensive. At ~$150 less than a 970 I'd definitely jump on board and wouldn't feel bad about upgrading slightly earlier than if I had gone with a beefier card.

RGM79

Does anyone think that we'll see the r9 290 around $200 near Black Friday?

Edit: I'm going to elaborate. Currently I'm running an i5 2500, AMD 7850 2gb, 8gb DDR3 ram. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a new monitor, another 8gb ram, and an SSD. I'll be upgrading to windows 10 after that. I have a PS4/XB1/Wii U in addition to my PC and typically I'll turn on the PS4 more than the PC. My 7850 is definitely starting to show its age and I have the itch to upgrade. However, I want to think for the future and make sure that I get a card that will last me until (hopefully) around the time the next generation launches. The only game that I'm planning to play this year on PC is Fallout 4, but I want that shit to be golden and I don't trust the 7850 to give me the performance I want, especially with mods.

I'm concerned about going to a 970 and having the vram issue bottleneck my system in a few years but due to the fact that I have other systems I don't want to drop the $650 on a 980 ti or anything. If I can get the 290 for around $200 near Black Friday I'd do that and dump my 7850 to make the 290 slightly less expensive. At ~$150 less than a 970 I'd definitely jump on board and wouldn't feel bad about upgrading slightly earlier than if I had gone with a beefier card.

Hard to say.. maybe if retailers decided to clear out stock. An R9 290 for just $200 would be undercutting AMD's own R9 380 models though, so it'd probably be something that a retailer might do as some kind of special sale, there's little to no chance that AMD would sign off on a widespread MSRP drop for the R9 290.

So what happens if you upgrade (e.g.) your mobo?

The same thing people always have to do for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 if they replace their motherboard and Windows fails to activate. Call Microsoft and do activation over the phone, tell them you replaced the motherboard.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Upgrading from an i5 2500 going for the following (i'll game a little but mainly for graphics/audio):

i7 5960
32gb Crucial
Asus X99 Pro
Corsair RM 750
Gigabyte GTX970

Anything I should change here?

RGM79

I have an opportunity to get an r9 290 for $200. How much of an upgrade would it be from my gtx 770?

A decent upgrade, not huge but not small either. Specific results will depend on the game and maybe drivers as well. There's been some talk about Kepler cards no longer being as effective for games due to lack of driver optimizations and etc, so if anything I think the R9 290 could have a somewhat higher lead over the GTX 770 than what the results at that link indicate.

Asus Z170-Deluxe

ASUS-Z170-Motherboards_Z170-Deluxe.jpg

Isn't that the most expensive Skylake mobo? it's like $400.

RGM79

Upgrading from an i5 2500 going for the following (i'll game a little but mainly for graphics/audio):

i7 5960
32gb Crucial
Asus X99 Pro
Corsair RM 750
Gigabyte GTX970

Anything I should change here?

Those are top-tier components. Pricey, but if you want to spend that much, it's your concern. When you say graphics and audio, you mean it's for work? You're doing (3D?) graphics and audio production?

bigace33

A decent upgrade, not huge but not small either. Specific results will depend on the game and maybe drivers as well. There's been some talk about Kepler cards no longer being as effective for games due to lack of driver optimizations and etc, so if anything I think the R9 290 could have a somewhat higher lead over the GTX 770 than what the results at that link indicate.

Nice, I'm not trying to spend a ton on a card right now so I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Not really trying to spend $300 on a 970 right now.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Those are top-tier components. Pricey, but if you want to spend that much, it's your concern. When you say graphics and audio, you mean it's for work? You're doing (3D?) graphics and audio production?
Yeah it'll be used mostly as a DAW for digital composition.

jacobeid

Banned
Hard to say.. maybe if retailers decided to clear out stock. An R9 290 for just $200 would be undercutting AMD's own R9 380 models though, so it'd probably be something that a retailer might do as some kind of special sale, there's little to no chance that AMD would sign off on a widespread MSRP drop for the R9 290.

That's very true. Thoughts on this card? It's on sale for $309 with the rebate and includes MGS V. I kind of doubt I'll find anything better on Black Friday, and I want to have the card for Fallout's release....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&cm_re=970-_-14-125-684-_-Product

You need to upgrade first and then you can do a clean install afterward. Windows 10 does not activate with license keys from previous versions of Windows. See here for more information and a guide on doing a clean installation. The relevant bits are as follows, quoted from that guide:

When you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 system to Windows 10, the installer confirms that you have a “genuine Windows” system installed and activates your computer for use with Windows 10. Note that you don’t actually get a Windows 10 product key — instead, your computer’s hardware is registered with Microsoft’s servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft’s servers, confirm it’s installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.

If you don’t take advantage of the upgrade process first, this registration will never happen. There’s no way to enter a Windows 7 or 8.1 key into the Windows 10 installer, nor is there some sort of web form that will give you a Windows 10 key if you provide your Windows 7 or 8.1 key. Sorry — you’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can perform a clean install.​
Thanks for the detailed info!

$320 on Newegg. Worth the money though, as reading the reviews it seems like the best 1151 mobo in terms of features and OC stability.

Oh, I'm Canadian Dollars, so it's probably that price. Still the most expensive mobo where the next most expensive Asus mobo is the Maximus VIII Hero at $240. That's an $80 difference.

I'd like to see reviews for all of them before saying the most expensive mobo is the best, because it's just the most expensive mobo. Of course reviews will tell you to buy it.

Edit: Also, it appears the deluxe isn't the ROG line. Might be something to consider.

Can I ask what brand your 270x is so I can avoid them in the future? over a month for ram is insane.

Powercolor R9 270X Devil, supposed to be their "premium" card as well, has beefed up power delivery and power efficiency and triple fan design where their other cards only have two.

Last time I buy Powercolor.

RGM79

That's very true. Thoughts on this card? It's on sale for $309 with the rebate and includes MGS V. I kind of doubt I'll find anything better on Black Friday, and I want to have the card for Fallout's release....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&cm_re=970-_-14-125-684-_-Product

It's one of the best GTX 970 cards on the market in terms of cooling and overclocking. It doesn't feature a silent fan mode when at low temperatures though, if that's important to you. Going from reviews the Gigabyte triple fan cooler isn't too loud at normal usage anyway, not unless you crank it all the way up. The price is good if you don't mind rebates, there's nothing else at around the same price that I'd recommend instead unless you wanted an alternative card for low fan noise (Asus Strix GTX 970 at $314?).

jacobeid

Banned
It's one of the best GTX 970 cards on the market in terms of cooling and overclocking. It doesn't feature a silent fan mode when at low temperatures though, if that's important to you. Going from reviews the Gigabyte triple fan cooler isn't too loud at normal usage anyway, not unless you crank it all the way up. The price is good if you don't mind rebates, there's nothing else at around the same price that I'd recommend instead unless you wanted an alternative card for low fan noise (Asus Strix GTX 970 at $314?).

To be honest I installed another fan into my system a few months ago and since then I haven't been able to change the fan speed at all...they just blow constantly. I should probably figure out what the hell I did, but point being I don't think that fan noise is much of an issue to me.

You know when you get the idea to upgrade your PC (or buy anything really) and even though you don't really need it once you get the itch you get the itch. I'll probably jump later today -____-

I haven't kept an eye on prices for these cards but it seems like this is a pretty good sale price, yeah?

Because I want my internet to not drop so often. That's my primary complain right now, it is that the internet drops so often.

Internet dropping altogether is probably not a router issue. Most likely causes are a bad connection somewhere in your wiring, or, if you have DSL, the line may be too long to support the speeds their giving you.

If it is DSL, the internet techs are usually completely worthless for fixing wiring problems- if you have a phone line your best bet is to complain about static on the line.

RGM79

To be honest I installed another fan into my system a few months ago and since then I haven't been able to change the fan speed at all...they just blow constantly. I should probably figure out what the hell I did, but point being I don't think that fan noise is much of an issue to me.

You know when you get the idea to upgrade your PC (or buy anything really) and even though you don't really need it once you get the itch you get the itch. I'll probably jump later today -____-

I haven't kept an eye on prices for these cards but it seems like this is a pretty good sale price, yeah?

Yeah, the price is good. According to the price tracker it hasn't dropped that low before, even after rebate.

You know when you get the idea to upgrade your PC (or buy anything really) and even though you don't really need it once you get the itch you get the itch.
I'll probably jump later today -____-

We are fighting the same battle right now you and I.

Pachimari

Gigabit ports allow hard-wired devices to connect at a faster speed.

Sorry, I'm still not entire sure - is it only your wifi signal that's dropping out or do even wired connections occasionally fail?

Wired connections also fail. My desktop PC is wired through ethernet, and I can lose signal as well.

Internet dropping altogether is probably not a router issue. Most likely causes are a bad connection somewhere in your wiring, or, if you have DSL, the line may be too long to support the speeds their giving you.

If it is DSL, the internet techs are usually completely worthless for fixing wiring problems- if you have a phone line your best bet is to complain about static on the line.
I'm sorry but I understand nothing of this. Don't take it as an offense, I just don't really understand. I am having Fiber Internet through my provider who says they are giving my the 60 Mbit I am paying for. =/

Anyway, I have bought a new router, and they said I can try it out, and even though I have used it, I can still return it and get a refund within the next 2 weeks.

LordAlu

Are the thin ports on these new Skylake motherboards USB type-c or Thunderbolt 3?
They're almost entirely USB Type-C. I think in the last week or two of sifting through motherboards I've only seen one that had Thunderbolt support and that was the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH - and that one doesn't seem to have reached distribution yet in the UK at least :(

Pachimari

I can't believe I need help for this stuff again, but I inserted the 4TB hard drive in my PC, but how do I install it in Windows?

Right now, I am in "Device Manager" but can't remember, what to do from here, for Windows to detect it.

[edit]
I'm reading through this article now to find out.

Grimalkin

O Great NeoGAF PC Hardware Enthusiasts, I humbly request your help in determining if I should overclock and upgrade some of my PC or just build an entirely new PC from scratch. I was waiting until the Skylake drop to decide and that day has finally arrived!

Current PC:
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DS 7.1

Some things I know would need upgraded are adding a SSD, the GPU definitely needs an upgrade, and I should OC the CPU (currently it's still stock). Everything currently works great, no issues. I will continue to run Windows 7 until Windows 10 gets a service pack/more support.

My goal is to be able to run modern games at 1080p on maximum settings throughout this gen (so... 2018/2020?) - I have no idea what it would take to run at 3840 x 2160 but I can't afford a nice 4K monitor anytime soon anyway (on top of getting a new PC to run at said resolutions).

My budget for a new build would be around $1200 without peripherals.

Thoughts?

Pachimari

Alright, I got it formatted and everything, but I can't stop thinking - looking at my hard drives - that the "System Reserved" shouldn't be there, right? Is it because I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10, or should and could I remove it?

Another thing is, how can I change the letter (D:\) to another?

They're almost entirely USB Type-C. I think in the last week or two of sifting through motherboards I've only seen one that had Thunderbolt support and that was the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH - and that one doesn't seem to have reached distribution yet in the UK at least :(

According to Anandtech, the Thunderbolt 3.0/ HDMI 2.0 controllers are supply constrained this month and will have more in stock in September.

The thunderbolt controller motherboards will probably cost $20 more:

"There will be several companion controllers to look out for on the Z170 motherboards. The most common we expect to see is the ASMedia ASM1142 controller, which is used to provide USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports. This controller uses two PCIe lanes to provide up to two USB 3.1 ports. This controller uses two PCIe lanes to provide up to two USB 3.1 ports, typically on the rear panel. We have reviewed this implementation on previous chipsets here and here. Typically the presence of the ASM1142 controller will increase the price of the motherboard by a small number of dollars – I suspect motherboard manufacturers are buying this in bulk for a number of future devices.

The other way to place USB 3.1 on the motherboard is through Intel’s Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller.

Using four PCIe lanes (and the DisplayPort lanes), the Alpine Ridge controller can support USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, and DisplayPort, and all over the USB Type-C connector as necessary. Alpine Ridge can also act as a LS-Pcon and convert the DP signal into a HDMI 2.0 signal with HDCP 2.2 support.

As mentioned in GIGABYTE’s details above, the Alpine Ridge solution will add around $10 to the cost of the board, which probably translates near $20 to the end-user cost. It is our understanding that the increased speed of the Z170 launch means that there has been supply issues with Alpine Ridge controllers and that there will be more products coming out next month (September) from various manufacturers that will use the controller."

RGM79

O Great NeoGAF PC Hardware Enthusiasts, I humbly request your help in determining if I should overclock and upgrade some of my PC or just build an entirely new PC from scratch. I was waiting until the Skylake drop to decide and that day has finally arrived!

Current PC:
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DS 7.1

Some things I know would need upgraded are adding a SSD, the GPU definitely needs an upgrade, and I should OC the CPU (currently it's still stock). Everything currently works great, no issues. I will continue to run Windows 7 until Windows 10 gets a service pack/more support.

My goal is to be able to run modern games at 1080p on maximum settings throughout this gen (so... 2018/2020?) - I have no idea what it would take to run at 3840 x 2160 but I can't afford a nice 4K monitor anytime soon anyway (on top of getting a new PC to run at said resolutions).

My budget for a new build would be around $1200 without peripherals.

Thoughts?

Some of the Skylake reviews I've read say that if you're still on Sandy Bridge and you don't mind spending, upgrading isn't that bad of an idea. But honestly, it'll come down to whether you want to save money or spend more. Or if you want shiny new parts and tech.

I mean, your system still has life in it, and you're totally right, a new graphics card, SSD, and maybe cooler for your CPU are all you need. Your PC can get 60FPS if you go with a high end graphics card like a GTX 980 Ti for the next few years.. but if you don't mind 30FPS then you can drop down to a GTX 970 or something similar.

LilJoka

Alright, I got it formatted and everything, but I can't stop thinking - looking at my hard drives - that the "System Reserved" shouldn't be there, right? Is it because I upgrade from Windows 7 to WIndows 10, or should and could I remove it?

Another thing is, how can I change the letter (D:\) to another?

Dont delete system reserved, thats where the bootloader lives.

You can right click partitions and click change drive letter.

Can anyone recommend me a decent BluRay drive.
I'm on Win7 64 bit, dont want to pay over £100

Make sure you understand that Blu-Ray playback is a joke on PC and you will either need to buy a program like AnyDVDHD or PowerDVD, and or use a program to rip your blu-rays to mkv/video files/iso's.

Otherwise if that's what you want I've been happy with LG's offerings so far.

Stevey

Make sure you understand that Blu-Ray playback is a joke on PC and you will either need to buy a program like AnyDVDHD or PowerDVD, and or use a program to rip your blu-rays to mkv/video files/iso's.

Otherwise if that's what you want I've been happy with LG's offerings so far.

I dont want to rip them, I just want to watch my discs

LilJoka

I dont want to rip them, I just want to watch my discs

Its still a bit of a mess, you need paid software due to licensing.
It should work, just not slick like a dedicated player.

To play blu ray, you dont need a decent blu ray drive, just a blu ray drive that can read blu rays. Nothing more to it, should be about £40. Faster read speeds may let you fast forward/skip faster.

harz-marz

I had an i5 2500 (non k) and GTX 970 gaming on a 1080P 60hz screen and was able to get a near locked 60fps on Crysis 3.

I have upgraded my card to a 980 ti and bought a 1440P Acer xb270hu and still using my i5 2500 the fps tanks down to like 30, jumps up to 80, it is all over the place! Gsync isn't helping!

I am upgrading my pc gradually, is my current cpu a massive bottleneck on this system?

Welp. Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to buy it once I'm home from work. Going to pick up my new monitor and SSD tomorrow too.

It's a terrible curse :)

Edit: I now own a GTX 970.

I must be stronger dammit! My 560ti can last another 2 years right?....right?....guys?

LilJoka

There's also this VLC workaround for blu ray discs, but I have no idea how well it works, I haven't personally tried it.

Problem is keys as you can see
get the file UPDATED 20-04-2012!

New keys on a lot of new blu rays.

I had an i5 2500 (non k) and GTX 970 gaming on a 1080P 60hz screen and was able to get a near locked 60fps on Crysis 3.

I have upgraded my card to a 980 ti and bought a 1440P Acer xb270hu and still using my i5 2500 the fps tanks down to like 30, jumps up to 80, it is all over the place! Gsync isn't helping!

I am upgrading my pc gradually, is my current cpu a massive bottleneck on this system?

Very likely, if you have a Z series board you can overclock the non-K chip a 3 or 4 multipliers higher.

You can monitor CPU usage to see for yourself.

harz-marz

Problem is keys as you can see
get the file UPDATED 20-04-2012!

New keys on a lot of new blu rays.

Very likely, if you have a Z series board you can overclock the non-K chip a 3 or 4 multipliers higher.

You can monitor CPU usage to see for yourself.

I have an Asus P8Z68-V, heard this was possible but have no idea how to do it. Had a play around in advanced settings but did not know what to do.

I just tried MSi Afterburner, saying 100% CPU usage and 45% GPU usage.

Guessing I need a new CPU lol!

LilJoka

I have an Asus P8Z68-V, heard this was possible but have no idea how to do it. Had a play around in advanced settings but did not know what to do.

I just tried MSi Afterburner, saying 100% CPU usage and 45% GPU usage.

Guessing I need a new CPU lol!

Yeah, all you need to do is increase the Turbo multiplier. Try increasing by 2 over the default. Multiplier x 100 = CPU Speed in Mhz.

Shouldnt need to touch anything else, it should boot up, then from there tweak for the maximum overclock and CPU Vcore would nee adjusting for optimal speed to heat ratio.

Lolcomin

Banned
When I lived at home, Century Link was the only company that provided internet to my area. We never once got our advertised speeds, 2 megabytes per sec was what our net speeds hovered aroubd, and that's wired.

If you have the option abandon that company immediately. They were nothing but terrible to us in terms of customer service, and because they were the only company to offer internet in our area they had no motivation to increase our speeds or lay new lines.
Yeah i've been tryna tell my mom that it's horrible but she's hearing none of that

Then it has nothing to do with the router. What downstream/upstream speeds are you supposed to get and what are you actually getting? You're probably going to have to take this up with Century Link's customer support and/or tech support.
5H3XfLJ.png

so the plan we have actually is supposed to be faster than this. Download speeds are actually like 2.1 mb/s and upload speeds are horrendous

LilJoka

Yeah i've been tryna tell my mom that it's horrible but she's hearing none of that

5H3XfLJ.png

so the plan we have actually is supposed to be faster than this. Download speeds are actually like 2.1 mb/s and upload speeds are horrendous

Go into the Router admin page (same as your gateway address) and check the sync speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom