• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PlayStation lost a lot of its "magic" by porting its exlusives to PC

keraj37

For me, PlayStation got this magic notion, thanks to great quality exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, GT, among others.
PlayStation was like an arcade saloon, and if you have ever been to one, you know what I mean by that.

But now, they release one by one, all of its pearls to PC, so why bother, and buy PlayStation 5 if you have gaming PC?
Sure, you can play earlier, but it is not the same anymore.

What do you think?

Holammer

I'd love to know how you're playing Rift Apart on a PC.
enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ratchet and GT are still exclusive. For now.

PS magic came from their incredible visuals, high production values, and a diverse portfolio of action adventure games, first peron shooters, racing games and experimental games like Ico and SOTC. Now they've basically limited themselves to action adventure games and one racing IP. Still, hard to deny the magic when you play GOW or TLOU and see industry leading cutscenes and visuals. They will always be there no matter what they port to PC.

Graciaus

There is nothing stopping you from buying and enjoying a console. More people trying and enjoying a game is never a bad thing.

I see no reason to own a console. The price of all three would give you a good PC (which I would have bought). Either through official means, patience or emulation you can play 99% of console games and all PC exclusives. But not everyone wants to spend that much at once or wait.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally I don't play on PC so I wouldn't even know they were on there unless I read about it here.

I've had PS consoles since PS1, probably always will. If any magic is lost it's in their first party output just not really catering to what I like. I enjoy a little more variety and weirdness, and some of the smaller titles like Echochrome, Ico, etc. I think the PS1 - PS3 had much cooler UI and a slick, futuristic design with soothing background ambient noise also which made the whole system feel slick. It's now a bunch of tiles that auto-play shit and no ambience or visual design.

Oh well. Shit happens.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Personally I think PlayStation lost its magic when they shifted all their focus to big AAA story-driven blockbusters. Boooooring.

I wish they’d make more fun, wacky, “game-y” stuff like Motor Toon, Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Warhawk, etc.

Closest thing that felt like PlayStation magic on PS5 was Astro’s Playroom

Roni

Gold Member
For me, PlayStation got this magic notion, thanks to great quality exclusives like Ratchet and Clank, GT, among others.
PlayStation was like an arcade saloon, and if you have ever been to one, you know what I mean by that.

But now, they release one by one, all of its pearls to PC, so why bother, and buy PlayStation 5 if you have gaming PC?
Sure, you can play earlier, but it is not the same anymore.

What do you think?
They won a lot of money though, which is all they really care about...

I don't get this mentality.

Your life doesn't change in any way just because these games are coming out in other platforms.

PlayStation still develops and releases their games to take advantage of their main piece of hardware: their current console, PS5. Only later are these experiences ported to other platforms.

It's a win-win situation except for the ones that already played on PlayStation consoles, whose lives don't change in any way.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Personally I think PlayStation lost its magic when they shifted all their focus to big AAA story-driven blockbusters. Boooooring.

I wish they’d make more fun, wacky, “game-y” stuff like Motor Toon, Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Warhawk, etc.

Closest thing that felt like PlayStation magic on PS5 was Astro’s Playroom
I mean if EA is doing a better job than you in the indie scene then you know you are screwed. Their “too big to fail games only” approach is sad.

ClosBSAS

LoL. Let's get this out of the way.
The ps5 is one hell of a console. It's visuals, design, tech behind it...it's a wonder.

Sony has been dropping the ball with their pc ports. Miles morales, uncharted, sack.boy, returnal and most likely the last of us...they have not sold well after the initial batch. No marketting, nothing.

But it just shows that they are in it for the long haul, once sales die on consoles, pc sales will keep coming.

PC gamers get the games late, you get to play them first. What is the big deal? Doesn't take away from the ps5 being a ridiculous machine. It has the magic still. You are just mad you can't rub it in someone's face, which makes you...childish.

keraj37

I think you need to explain how it isn't "the same anymore".
and if not, please explain the reasoning behind this.

Sure thing, so when I figured out in early 90s, I can play Mortal Kombat on my new Amiga 500 I lost half of any admiration to arcade saloons located in my town.
Later and to this day, if I know I can play a game on my personal computer of any kind, the "magic" of arcade saloon is gone completely.
I hope this explains my feelings.

RafterXL

The magic of gaming has never been about what games other people can't play because they bought a different machine than me. I literally wouldn't care if every game came out on every platform. In fact, gaming, and the discourse surrounding it, would be all for the better if that were the case.

Don't think it matters. Ive always like exclusives because I felt it gave systems an identity and also was designed just for that system. It's why most console exclusives usually look and play the best compared to third party (at least in Sony's case).

I think the way Sony is handling the their games to PC is the best. They still have great exclusives that can drive sales to their console. If those exclusives aren't enough to draw people into dropping 500$ on a console, they can play the games in PC at a later date. Seems like a win for everyone. Sony gets more sales/money and the games reach more people. What is there to hate about this?

nial

Gold Member
I'm still in the PS4 era. :)
In terms of first-party "magic", I think they got off to a pretty slow start with the PS5, but will eventually catch up to the levels of the PS4, which had the best FP output of any Sony console in my opinion; be it AAA or AA games, that generation was hit after hit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A PS5 is still a much more affordable way to play those games, typically about two years earlier. And while a good PC will obviously allow for higher settings and/or framerate, it's not like it's a generational difference. In many cases barely any difference at all except for higher resolution. Plus stutter struggle (although Sony seems to be generally pretty good at avoiding or minimizing that).

Topher

Gold Member
Sure thing, so when I figured out in early 90s, I can play Mortal Kombat on my new Amiga 500 I lost half of any admiration to arcade saloons located in my town.
Later and to this day, if I know I can play a game on my personal computer of any kind, the "magic" of arcade saloon is gone completely.
I hope this explains my feelings.

Were you happy that games that were on Atari ST were ported to your Amiga 500?

Thebonehead

Banned
It is not the same anymore.

What you're describing is nostalgia.

Hearing the PS1 / PS2 startup sounds for me produces a strong evocative memory.

Playing it through an emulator doesn't produce the same response for me as it does on the original hardware.

I have an original Williams Defender Arcade cabinet ( One of the best games ever by the way ). The feel of the controls etc is of an order of magnitude far greater than can be found via mame and generic stick set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom