• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think PlayStation lost a lot of its "magic" by porting its exlusives to PC

Guilty_AI

The post you "dismissed", whether accepted by you or not, simply stated the objective reality.
The reality widely known for ten years, shared by people who make storytelling as a living in multiple media forms and millions of people who played games for twenty years alike.
Have you seen what the people who make stories for a living are making these days?
she-hulk-attorney-at-law-twerk.gif

I wouldn't look to them for credibility

Last edited:

Banned
Everyone would just complain about the games not being on steam or having all of the features that steam has created over the last few decades.

then better have all the features that Steam has like family share, reviews and a forum.

I mean that should be expected anyway from a good launcher these days

Kerotan

Why would I not buy a $500 console that just work's without tweaking it constantly and gets all my favourite games Day 1. I'm happy for pc gamers getting scraps and helping to fund the next round of PS5 day 1 launches.

By the time PC gets half these games they'll be added to ps extra anyway.

RGB'D

Honestly, I would like the PS ecosystem that much more with cross progression/cloud saves between PC and PS. It's the primary reason I am more involved in the Xbox ecosystem. I think PS would bring me in that more if I could continue to primarily buy the game on PC but able to play on my PS 5 when I want a cpuch session, while maintaining saves and not having to buy the game over again completely. Ragnarok at 1440 120 fps would be awesome!

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've double dipped on damn near all of the PS4/5 exclusives. Horizon, GOW, Dayz Gone. Returnal. I don't plan on getting spiderman because I finished it on PS4. Looking for a good sale on Miles.I probably won't pick up Last of Us just because I've played the hell out of that too. Really just waiting for Bloodborne (please and thank you), Ratchet and Clank (fingers crossed) and Demon's Souls

Still might get a ps5 if a slim or pro version is announced

Supple

Banned
I have double-dipped on most PC ports as well except for Dayz Gone, Miles, and Returnal so far. Now if you want games to truly lose their magic, put them on Game Pass. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shakka43

Chill, and don't call other people "warriors" or other insults if you don't want to be seen as one.

There are games with far better story telling than TLOU, and that's all that matters for me to dismiss the post I quoted earlier. In fact I don't think it's anything special.

But you already dismissed my opinion without even asking "why" and instead went to think "oh I bet he's just a sad little warrior", so why do I bother.
Can you name a few examples please, I might wanna give them a try.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I got the feeling that you are just going to dismiss my posts with "those games are shit, TLOU is better", but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Plain better written games: Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Disco Elysium, Judgment, Lost Judgment, Deus Ex, The Witcher, Star Wars KOTOR... a lot to be honest.
Games that take adventage of being a videogame to tell a story in a way a movie never could: The Hex, Doki Doki Literature Club, and probably some others I'm not aware about.

Honestly I never understood the praise for TLOU's storytelling. The story is entertaining and the game is fun to play, but to me it's just that.

The "magic" has always been in the games, never the platform you're playing it on. Remember that. Care less about PC, Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo. Care more about the games they allow us to play. When I showcase I'm a fan of either, it's because of the specific games that I like and how I feel a platform may complement or augment my love of those games. Or how a platform may allow me to get access to similar games. Sometimes I choose something based purely on convenience.

Short version. Be more of a fan of the games and not the companies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You and I know it would not work out anywhere near as profitable as what they have now with the royalties on third party games on consoles. If all their fans jumped away from consoles to PC. Sony would essentially be going third party and I have zero faith they could get the missing revenues from their PC launcher to make up for it.
You assume the millions of PS fans would sell their PS and buy a PC rig. PC porting has gone on for over 2 years and Sony's gaming division is doing fine with giant profits and record PS5's sold.

There's many reasons why consoles sell for decades. Ease and price. If it was all about consumers going PC, there wouldnt even be any streaming boxes that cost $100-200. Everyone would just hook up or wirelessly stream content from their PC to TV at zero Roku or Android box costs.

Also, if first party games are so important for console existence, let's see how many of those 10 GAAS games Sony has in development launch on PC day one vs 2 years later.

LOU Part 1 was already down to 6 months.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I got the feeling that you are just going to dismiss my posts with "those games are shit, TLOU is better", but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Plain better written games: Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Disco Elysium, Judgment, Lost Judgment, Deus Ex, The Witcher, Star Wars KOTOR... a lot to be honest.
Games that take adventage of being a videogame to tell a story in a way a movie never could: The Hex, Doki Doki Literature Club, and probably some others I'm not aware about.

Honestly I never understood the praise for TLOU's storytelling. The story is entertaining and the game is fun to play, but to me it's just that.
I actually haven't play any of those so I won't just dismiss them. Judging by their genre though, I gather they are very heavy on text based story telling which I personally don't consider as a great style for games compared to the cinematic style of TLoU. I do own Judgment, Deus Ex and Witcher 3 so I'll play those soon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The "magic" has always been in the games, never the platform you're playing it on. Remember that. Care less about PC, Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo. Care more about the games they allow us to play. When I showcase I'm a fan of either, it's because of the specific games that I like and how I feel a platform may complement or augment my love of those games. Or how a platform may allow me to get access to similar games. Sometimes I choose something based purely on convenience.

Short version. Be more of a fan of the games and not the companies.
Exactly.

But to be fair there is a natural self serving protectionist attitude. For the guy who spent $400 on a plastic box and cant afford another, theres a chance they'll dig deep to protect their product because they dont want others goofing on them another plastic box has better games.

And PC ports with better specs, mods, free online and anyone already with a decent PC can play it without spending more on hardware, they feel ripped off or betrayed by the brand. They think a $500 console should play a game better than a $1,500 PC.

Hey, it's natural. Nobody likes to feel ripped that other people get better products. But thats the give and take between a decent PC rig and a console.

I've had Nintendo, Sega, Sony and MS systems. Who cares. Whichever has what I want, I'll buy that system. There was a time I wanted to buy Neo Geo X, but bailed after I heard it was sketchy. But if it was rock solid, I'd have it right now to put beside my Pandora Box 5. But if other people want to play Neo Geo games on their platform of choice through e-stores or emulators, go ahead. What do I care even though it cost around $250 CDN at launch.

I just got into buying Steam and GOG games during covid 2020 xmas. And a few of those games are available on Xbox e-store. But I bought it on PC. Am I suddenly a traitor to Xbox? I dont think so. But a fan warrior would say yes and I should had bought it on Xbox even though m/kb is better and it was half price on Steam. I'm going PC.

Eiknarf

Banned
I just want games to stop coming out for the PS4 already. Enough. It makes the PS5 “feel” less necessary. Same goes for XBOX. Stop with the previous generation. It’s been two and a half years.

I want to feel that next level shit (and I do when it comes to the Duelsense controller with the haptic feedback and trigger effects). But I want what’s next on the screen, too

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just want games to stop coming out for the PS4 already. Enough. It makes the PS5 “feel” less necessary. Same goes for XBOX. Stop with the previous generation. It’s been two and a half years.

I want to feel that next level shit (and I do when it comes to the Duelsense controller with the haptic feedback and trigger effects). But I want what’s next on the screen, too
Thats the drawback of systems that are designed and promoted as BC with last gen.

The pressure of ensuring games work on both eras of systems. If someone playing Xbox One or PS4 buys a game, they expect it to work when they upgrade to PS5 or S/X.

There's also so much money at stake with mtx/GAAS, cutting off all the last gen fans is tough to do because last gen gamers could still be playing the game dumping more money into it.

Before mtx took off, its easier to cut the cord because disc sales would already be dried up by the time a next gen version came out. Even if they wanted to support both generations, the old traditional way would be the A-team makes the next gen game, and some hired gun C-studio makes the last gen game. Now, they go hand in hand as the same game, but the newer game has some visual or frame rate boosts and thats it..

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You assume the millions of PS fans would sell their PS and buy a PC rig. PC porting has gone on for over 2 years and Sony's gaming division is doing fine with giant profits and record PS5's sold.

There's many reasons why consoles sell for decades. Ease and price. If it was all about consumers going PC, there wouldnt even be any streaming boxes that cost $100-200. Everyone would just hook up or wirelessly stream content from their PC to TV at zero Roku or Android box costs.

Also, if first party games are so important for console existence, let's see how many of those 10 GAAS games Sony has in development launch on PC day one vs 2 years later.

LOU Part 1 was already down to 6 months.
I am assuming that if they lose players to the PC it would hurt them much more than the money they gain with their software on PC.
At some point the cross over from one platform to the other would hurt badly (the fewer the people on console the worse for Sony). Period.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
TBF he said ONE of the best, not the very best... I'm stunned nobody counts A Plague Tales frachise when talking about story-driven games
You are right, my bad.

Never played the rats games, so sorry for not including it in my previous post.

There are plenty games with a story at that level. What people are observing in The Last of Us that makes people feel its storytelling is unrivaled is the quality of the digital actors, the mo-cap, the attention to detail, and the elaborate cutscenes, all things that rightly elevate even relatively simple story moments and deliver something that many other games simply have never achieved. So it's less about the story itself, which is great, and more about the presentation of the story being told. Naughty Dog just has the formula down. As does Santa Monica studio.

I feel there are plenty of stories that are at that level. Mass Effect 1-2, Kotor, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy VII (original), Max Payne, Persona 3-5, Last of Us 2 (may hate how events play out, but it's impressive), Halo 4, Splinter Cell Conviction, Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break (one of the best videogame stories I've ever experienced), Halo Infinite, Call of Duty 4, Final Fantasy 9, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5, MGS 1, MGS3: Snake Eater, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, and many others I'm forgetting.

The distinguishing factor about The Last of Us is the quality and presentation of the cutscenes and the character models. And a willingness to make murder really look more like murder, much more disturbing.

Exactly.

But to be fair there is a natural self serving protectionist attitude. For the guy who spent $400 on a plastic box and cant afford another, theres a chance they'll dig deep to protect their product because they dont want others goofing on them another plastic box has better games.

And PC ports with better specs, mods, free online and anyone already with a decent PC can play it without spending more on hardware, they feel ripped off or betrayed by the brand. They think a $500 console should play a game better than a $1,500 PC.

Hey, it's natural. Nobody likes to feel ripped that other people get better products. But thats the give and take between a decent PC rig and a console.

I've had Nintendo, Sega, Sony and MS systems. Who cares. Whichever has what I want, I'll buy that system. There was a time I wanted to buy Neo Geo X, but bailed after I heard it was sketchy. But if it was rock solid, I'd have it right now to put beside my Pandora Box 5. But if other people want to play Neo Geo games on their platform of choice through e-stores or emulators, go ahead. What do I care even though it cost around $250 CDN at launch.

I just got into buying Steam and GOG games during covid 2020 xmas. And a few of those games are available on Xbox e-store. But I bought it on PC. Am I suddenly a traitor to Xbox? I dont think so. But a fan warrior would say yes and I should had bought it on Xbox even though m/kb is better and it was half price on Steam. I'm going PC.

I know people think that way, but I could never understand it. If I'm playing a game I enjoy. I don't care how much better others can, so long as my play isn't compromised.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know people think that way, but I could never understand it. If I'm playing a game I enjoy. I don't care how much better others can, so long as my play isn't compromised.
So true.

When I had 360 and Gears 1 was the game to get, shit loads of people bought it. I did too.

Then Cliffy B announces next year PC is getting Gears with more levels, more MP maps, and if your PC can handle it it could play at 60 fps at higher res.

Talk about a slap in the face. Or is it? How come I didn't care? I just bought a 360 and poured $500 CDN into it.

And back then, to play Gears PC at better specs that blew away 360 you didn't even need to buy a $2500 PC. A much more modest PC could easily beat it. Who cares. I'm happy Gears played on my $500 CDN 360. And for any PC gamers who got the specs thats awesome. Enjoy playing at 60 fps with more content.

The dumb thing about fan warriors complaining about PC ports is the fact not one maker has flipped priority to PC. At most, it's like Xbox/PC where launch day is the same. And Sony there's a delay. Where's all the games being stopped for Xbox/PS, and they transfer it to PC only? I dont see it. So why do people complain? You're still getting the game day one on console.

If they hate PC gamers thinking they are playing at better specs. Then do the opposite. Think that all the gamers playing are at minimum spec laptops. If that help boost the ego, do it that way.

LOL

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
This reads like the most NeoGaf thread ever, the magnum opus of the site. I even saw comparisons between PS exclusive games and ones wife/fiancee...

Part of the magic is not shitting your pants when Sony decides to stop spending pennies on the dollar to host the PS3 and PSP/Vita marketplace. Once a game is available on PC is there forever, with some small exceptions. Also not having to beg for resolution, framerate, IQ improving patches. Once its on PC a game will always show its true potential.

If you are a gamer why the heck would you not want every single game ever released on PC? Even if you don't own a gaming PC, down the line the shittiest office laptop will play these high end games, without having to keep your obsolete, locked down, walled gardened, one purpose only computer around.

Last edited:
Disagree. As a PlayStation enthusiast who has been there from the beginning.

They've lost their magic because they decided to stop attending shows and putting exciting presentations together.

E3 2015 and 2016, E3 2010. Some incredible times to be a PlayStation owner. State of plays aren't good enough for major announcements. Sony haven't had a major show in well over a year. Their communication with fans has been essential only and for me and many people I know, generated minimal hype.

Sony's game convention presence and schedule would update us on upcoming titles and provide a clear road map for the future. It's certainly about as empty as I've ever seen it.

Sure, they probably have tonnes in development. But right now it feels like they don't. I suspect the ABK situation is partly to blame for that.

20cent

Banned
Yeah, when they couldn't touch the games, we could pretend they were magical and special.

Now they can see by themselves that these games were what they seem to be, rehashed licenses with horrible character designs (Ratchet, GoW, etc)

Bigfroth

Being magical is not how I would describe a consumer electronics company who's main goal is to make profits. Games come out if they look good I play them I could care less about we're Sony releases their games, it as nothing to do with me.

L*][*N*K

Banned
No I don’t think they did, Sony games are like MCU films they were great at one point but that one concept “mid cinematic experience + mid game experience = epic” is no longer working

mdkirby

I think that it has exactly zero effect on Playstation owners since they dont lose/gain anything, they are entirely left out of the equation.
This only affects Sony and PC users.
That's not true tho. If releasing on PC means greater profit from each game they release, then that reduces the risk in developing each title. Reduced risk means they can take greater risks in the games they choose to develop, instead of playing it safe. Greater profit also means they can finance MORE games. For example Horizon Forbidden West cost about $100 million to develop. The Horizon Zero Dawn PC port sold $60 million. There's no way the PC port cost more than 10million, but lets say the 'profit' on the PC port was $50 mil, the PC port along covered HALF the cost of developing an entirely new AAA first party game. So we do as console players stand to gain from it.

Fabieter

Ratchet and GT are still exclusive. For now.

PS magic came from their incredible visuals, high production values, and a diverse portfolio of action adventure games, first peron shooters, racing games and experimental games like Ico and SOTC. Now they've basically limited themselves to action adventure games and one racing IP. Still, hard to deny the magic when you play GOW or TLOU and see industry leading cutscenes and visuals. They will always be there no matter what they port to PC.

Seeing returnal on pc makes it look like ps loosing the magic tho

ProtoByte

I won't go that far, but I don't think the PC ports benefit PlayStation fans at all. The sales have not been impressive for any of them, and indicate a very simple fact: Nobody was barred from playing these exclusives. Everyone who wanted to play them played them on PlayStation. Anyone with a rig with high enough specs to run them at or above console level was is not lacking pennies to buy a console. All Sony is achieving with these PC ports is indicating to a couple million people who bought the console before that they don't need to now. What little cash they're scraping off the top now won't stretch in the long run.

More pointedly, I hate the idea of time, money and resources being spent on these first party games not being directed towards tailoring the game to Playstation consoles. The fact is that the level of quality you get from the biggest exclusives is in-part owed to their exclusivity. One fixed architecture, one (two max) set of fixed specs and even button layout; which will come into focus this gen, with the Dualsense essentially having two extra buttons with the adaptive triggers. You can bet the live service stuff being made for simultaneous release across PS5 and PC are not going to hit that level of quality because of it, but most will let that slide because of how low standards are for MP anyway.

My concern is the suffering of their major single player projects. PS5 would ideally be the only platform of concern, but it absolutely must be the first and foremost platform of concern, no exceptions. And the games better reflect that level of tailoring. If they don't, we've got issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom