• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could revive one Sony IP during the latter half of this generation, what would it be?

CamHostage

GOYxBdj.jpg

It'll be the tragic end of an era if PS5 (and might as well throw in PSVR2) is the first PlayStation generation without a Wipeout. PS2 was a dark period where SCE of America passed the franchise off to third parties to publish, but it still got Fusion as well as a port of the PSP Wipeout Pulse. (PocketStation is the only other unique PS platform I can think of that never had its own Wipeout game.)

There's a rumor that Namco Bandai is doing a Wipeout in a shared development effort, we'll see if anything comes of that rumor. I don't know what the status of Wipeout Omega Collection developer Creative Vault Studios is (their website is marked unsafe so I'm not eager to click through to it...) but we haven't heard from them since the 2018 launch of Omega, it's hard to tell if there's hope on that end. (I'd rather a Brit studio than a Japanese studio do Wipeout, as it is very specific in cultural design, though the Designers Republic style isn't the same de rigueur all these years later and also DR could collaborate with a Japanese developer if that's how it had to work out. Whatever works.) So far, the brand is MIA on PlayStation and I don't see corporate viewing the tradition as an important part of their marketplan, but I'd be quite happy if they made a new Wipeout for this gen as it has all others.

Sony did license out a mobile sim-management game called Wipeout Merge (formerly Wipeout Rush,) which IMO could have been a fun hold-over for the franchise while a new game was in the works, but without any new game to tie it to, fans vehemently struck out against it and the mobile crowd never gave it much of a lookover on its own and Wipeout Merge quietly disappeared after a few test market releases.

Last edited:
There are a lot of franchises worth bringing back.

• SOCOM is probably the most obvious. If any franchise could be setup to be a CoD killer it would be this, though it should be built in the vein of Rainbow Six Siege
  • Remaking the Killzone and Resistance trilogy with modern controls and graphics for both PS5 and PC could be a big hit. These games had a super limited audience on PS3, but modernizing them especially Killzone 1 that had such poor controls, could breath life back into both franchises.
    • MAG, WarHawk, and StarHawk all similarly struggled due to the PS3's audience and audience size and the lack of maturation of PSN at the time
  • Jet Moto and Wipeout could be really successful games at a low price.
    • Motorstorm could also be successful at a lower price.
  • Syphon Filter would be great, would love if Kojima is working on this and Physint is just a codename for Syphon Filter.
  • Everybody's Golf VR is a no brainer
  • Remaking Arc the Lad 1+2
  • Remaking Wild Arms
  • Remaking Legend of Dragoon
  • Remaking The Getaway

There are so many games from early SCEI that if polished could really work well today. A lot of these games came out when people were still trying to get a handle on how to manage controls in 3d.
The Getaway!

I remember being so excited seeing those PS2 bullshots and then... lol.

Bring back I.Q.: Intelligent Qube.

Zannegan

inFamous, for sure. I wouldn't even mind starting with a remake/reimagining of the first game, just as long as we eventually got to a new game with new elemental powers.

Monkey's paw 2020s means it'll probably come back as a Battle Royale. =/

MAtgS

Really, no one else has said it? I gotta be the first? Oh right then,

playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-round-2-fan-casting-poster-371721-medium.jpg

Why yes, I am in fact serious. I wanted to believe in the first one. ;_;

Top Bottom