• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could revive one Sony IP during the latter half of this generation, what would it be?

DwgHG7c.jpg

Robb

Gold Member
Man, this thread just makes me SMH at how much of classic Playstation's DNA has wilted away over the years.
I’d be all over more Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and CTR.. Those used to be the PS classics for me. But hey, they aren’t PS franchises anymore (although I guess they never were, technically).

But man.. Imagine a new Spyro from Insomniac using the same engine as Ratchet & Clank..
jizz in my pants GIF

RickSanchez

Gold Member
if we are talking hypotheticals, i would have them buy the rights to Deus Ex from Embracer and commission a third Adam Jensen game from Eidos, and make it a full-fledged 40 hours long single-player immersive sim, then market the fuck out of it.

Last edited:

elmos-acc

Sly for sure. Sly 2 is my favorite game of all time for exclusively nostalgic reasons. Does it make sense for Sony to resurrect it? Probably not. It's just unfortunate how that franchise is inaccessible without PS3 or Vita if you don't want to stream it.

Killjoy-NL

I was with

you until you said multiplayer only, some of us just don't like multiplayer, but I'd be all for a 8-10hr single player campaign with multiplayer.
Tbh, I'd take any Killzone.

But multiplayer-only is just the game that was rumored at the start of this gen.

I just want some Playstation "playstation" games. You know, it's so playstation, that's it's just a playstation game.

Like this gem:

211241.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd love another Infamous, but I don't know why it would be UE. SP has great internal tech, just look at GoT. Infamous SS also still looks great.

Also MotorStorm. Pacific Rift is my favorite arcade racer ever.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'd go with infamous for a revival. I would love Ratchet and Clank or Parappa. You can exclude any jrpg cause that is never happening.

They're all great, I don't want to see Uncharted or Last of Us for a few more years though, I'm fucking so bored of third person cinematic adventure games.

If I had to pick one, Warhawk. I would love to see what they could do with that on more modern hardware.

Mr.Phoenix

There are a lot of franchises worth bringing back.

• SOCOM is probably the most obvious. If any franchise could be setup to be a CoD killer it would be this, though it should be built in the vein of Rainbow Six Siege
  • Remaking the Killzone and Resistance trilogy with modern controls and graphics for both PS5 and PC could be a big hit. These games had a super limited audience on PS3, but modernizing them especially Killzone 1 that had such poor controls, could breath life back into both franchises.
    • MAG, WarHawk, and StarHawk all similarly struggled due to the PS3's audience and audience size and the lack of maturation of PSN at the time
  • Jet Moto and Wipeout could be really successful games at a low price.
    • Motorstorm could also be successful at a lower price.
  • Syphon Filter would be great, would love if Kojima is working on this and Physint is just a codename for Syphon Filter.
  • Everybody's Golf VR is a no brainer
  • Remaking Arc the Lad 1+2
  • Remaking Wild Arms
  • Remaking Legend of Dragoon
  • Remaking The Getaway

There are so many games from early SCEI that if polished could really work well today. A lot of these games came out when people were still trying to get a handle on how to manage controls in 3d.
Damn, Sony really does have a habit of moving on from IPs. Looking at your list, I almost wish they milked their IPs more, even though I appreciate them allowing their devs to try on new stuff.

And as for Syphon Filter and its correlation to PHYSINT, I said the exact same thing the day it was revealed. I have got a feeling that is exactly what it is.

MAG really came at least a whole generation too early. And Legend of Dragoon needs to happen, I can't believe Sony has these IPs just rotting away and yet are consolidating their Japanese studios.

I didn’t like the first two games but Second Son is one of my favorite ps4 games. It looked insane when it released (my first “wow, this is nextgen” moment), the grunge style was awesome, and the different powers were really cool. Amazing game
I'd highly reccomend a second playthrough. When I first tried both games they seemed like a downgrade from SS to me and very dated and primitive in some ways.

Second time around, they grew on me for whatever reason and were much more enjoyable, even much more so than SS. They are now amongst my top 20 games of all time.

Resistance Fall of Man. Playstation has been devoid of first person shooters since Killzone Shadow Fall way back in 2013 ffs. I don’t understand for the life of me why Sony has not remastered a proper Resistanice trilogy or even a Killzone collection for PS5. They seem to remaster TLOU ten times over among other games.

ShakenG

Motorstorm would be pretty epic.

Unfortunately it would need to keep the over the top rubberbanding because of the nature of races. vehicles crashing every few seconds. Races would come down to luck and you'd just need to survive to finish 1st. Keeping it keeps the races close unfortunately. 😒

Id start with something between 1 and Pacific Rift. Have a new mechanic and further the track evolution with mudslides, floods.. something not too extreme but subtle enough to create new surfaces.
Pour downs creating bigger mudpuddles?

Larger tracks that give you the impression of something like dakar.. racing across large sandy landscapes.. more on the endurance side. Bit like the intro to Motorstorm.

I got carried away 😔

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
MOTOSTORM
WIPEOUT
GRAVITY RUSH

I am willing to sacrifice all of the Marvel bullshit, Horizon and nu-GoW for any of these.
"Im willing to stop eating fast food if you give me a gourmet meal"
Not that i don't agree with you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Im also willing to stop playing fthe Crew (which i don't play) if Sony gives us a new
DkZzZZ0.jpg

(Another Psygnosis banger by the way)

And im not even demanding, they could just remake the PS1 demo with the one circuit with the narrow pass before the finish line, where you could block every car by parking yourself the right way, sell it for 30 bucks im buying.

Damn, Sony really does have a habit of moving on from IPs. Looking at your list, I almost wish they milked their IPs more, even though I appreciate them allowing their devs to try on new stuff.

And as for Syphon Filter and its correlation to PHYSINT, I said the exact same thing the day it was revealed. I have got a feeling that is exactly what it is.

MAG really came at least a whole generation too early. And Legend of Dragoon needs to happen, I can't believe Sony has these IPs just rotting away and yet are consolidating their Japanese studios.

It's sometimes good to give IP a chance to breath and then come back to them with fresh eyes and fresh perspectives. Look at Prince of Persia. The first game came out in 89 and the sequel in 93. They actually tried bringing it back as Prince of Persia 3d in 99 but it failed. The 2003 game brought the franchise back.

Tomb Raider has 1 game in 5 years as it rebooted, before that it got nearly annual releases.

Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter both kind of took some air before coming back stronger.

Sony can look at a lot of these franchises and on a case by case basis decide whether to bring them back and what studio should do it. A lot of these multiplayer games or rough FPS have a much better chance now. All the things holding them back technology or experience could resolve.

My fear is that it's a bit too complex for modern Sony to grasp. Herman Hulst leaves a lot to be desired.

But Syphon Filter makes a lot of sense for Kojima and Sony and to make it into a movie franchise a number of people you could cast as Gabe Logan. Timothée Chalamet would probably make a lot of sense, essentially pairing him with Tom Holland as Nathan Drake and Spider-Man for the next 10+ years. Other options include Robert Pattinson and Richard Madden. Seems like an obvious play. Chalamet makes the most sense based on timeline. The game if it hasn't started production, won't be ready for another 5-6 years. Chalamet is currently 28 and therefore would be 33-34 when the game comes out for a movie tie in. Tom Cruise was 34 in Mission Impossible 1. Keanu Reeves was 29 when he did Speed. Kurt Russell was 30 when he did Escape from New York.

Despite the announcement of the name, it doesn't look like Sony or Kojima Productions has trademarked Physint. Syphon Filter was renewed as a trademark in 2019 a couple months before Death Stranding released, but maybe I'm reaching here. Renewing trademarks is pretty standard. SOCOM was renewed in 2021. Sony doesn't always renew trademarks, Jet Moto for example.

Legend of Dragoon would be difficult because who would even do it?

Audiophile

Driveclub & Motorstorm; given a chance with the rising tide of the PlayStation brand over the last gen I think both IPs could have had real legs with further outings. They threw the baby out with the bathwater imo. Bring 'em back with the OGs and call it Revolution Studios!

WipeOut is sorely missing too. The fact that the Omega Collection is stranded on PSVR(1) while the PSVR2 headset is available is ridiculous. A new entry that realised the vision of the original concept art with modern hardware would be killer too.

SOCOM, Resistance & Killzone could all provide great single-player and multiplayer; as well as playing into the whole live service thing (hopefully in a more reasonable manner).

Finally, Warhawk would probably take off well these days.

Aion002

Not a Sony IP, but it's associated with Playstation, White Knight Chronicles.
It is a Sony Ip, Sony paid Level 5 to create it, same thing they did on Rogue Galaxy (also made by L5 and a Sony game). Also, the psp game was developed by Sony Japan studios without L5.

Anyway, I second that. A new/remake White Knight Chronicles game would be amazing... Specially now that Sony has Bungie to help with the live service stuff.

New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

Last edited:
Top Bottom