• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had to choose one. Elden Ring or Zelda Totk?

Between Elden Ring and Totk which do you choose

• Zelda Totk

Votes: 208 46.5%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 239 53.5%

• Total voters

MiguelItUp

I haven't played TotK yet, but considering how I feel about BotW now, I'm sure I'll love it. But I think I'll love ER more, for entirely different reasons. Both games have the open world in common, but so much is different.

I 100%'d ER, I don't see myself doing that with TotK, especially since I don't see myself doing that with BotW.

So, yeah. Elden Ring for me.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Ron Simmons Reaction GIF

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Insult to gaming developments to even compares them

One is the most complex emergent open world ever created

and the other is this

TOTK: Better movements, interactive, phsyics, npc's, towns, quests, wars, puzzles, building, hunting, survival, combat, sandbox gameplays

Elden Ring: combat

Elden Ring is a grain of sand

TOTK the entire Ocean

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Elden ring and it isn't close.

TOTK is good, but the weapon breaking ONCE AGAIN RUINS THE GAME. I literally want to stop playing and just emulate it on pc with mods to fix this BS.. hey! I got a lvl 32 weapon and first mob its already blinking red...

Stop hitting rocks with your new sword!

Seriously though it's fair enough I can see how some would find it annoying and completely off putting.

Hestar69

Seriously though it's fair enough I can see how some would find it annoying and completely off putting.
It seems I went a region that the enemies are very high level and it was on a boss fight that it broke after 3 hits (was the 64 claymore you get in castle)

nah I use a rock and stick to break walls with not words i'm not that stupid thankfully lol

Gideon

Elden ring (I'd love to see fromsoft and the developer behind botw/totk (iirc it's monolith right?) collaborate on a game

PS: with totk still being in it's honeymoon phase I expected the poll to be overwhelmingly on totk.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Tears of the Kingdom

But to be clear, these are two vastly different types of games that happen to be open world,Zelda is a big puzzle game with action layered on top,the combat sucks, but it still a fun game with actual towns

Elden Ring has Dark Souls harsh combat as the focus,i didn't enjoyed it like the previous Soulborne games

Mozzarella

Hard to vote because im still playing TOTK, still only beat one major region so i dont know, ask next month.
I'm enjoying it a lot, great game, its what BOTW should have been, imo BOTW will be looked upon in another lens now, at least for me.
Anyway yeah both are masterpieces, if the poll includes more games and gives multiple options it could be really interesting to see which games get higher votes.

HL3.exe

Not Elden Ring. Constant fighting, wittering health bars down, non emergent situations, NPC's that are just static vendors that don't participate when you lure enemies to them, etc. It just bored me to tears of the Kingdom.

Zelda has it's own structural problems, and I couldn't care less about it's story or world. But I enjoyed the systemic nature of it more. It's problem solving using playful systems is what I come back too.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

Think it's a frame of reference thing... in most all games a good weapon is one you keep or level up..the idea that you shouldn't get attached to a weapon and embrace recycling them is unusual and takes some getting used to...People who adore collecting, keeping and levelling up will be massively triggered

Last edited:

Madflavor

All I've seen from TotK's combat is people finding different ways to break the game with Fuse. On the one hand it's very creative and funny, but on the other hand the game's been out for a week and people have found a ton of ways to cheese even the toughest enemies in the game and make them look like a joke. It's a novelty that won't last, and in the end will serve to only cheapen the game. Not that Elden Ring didn't have builds that made boss fights easier, but there are countless videos out there of a naked Link running around in circles while whatever contraption someone built is melting an enemy.

Elden Ring's combat is far more personal, fast paced, and exciting. And the variety of builds in the game due to the boat loads of spells, weapon skills, weapon types, and ashes, creates tons of room for experimentation.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Not Elden Ring. Constant fighting, wittering health bars down, non emergent situations, NPC's that are just static vendors that don't participate when you lure enemies to them, etc. It just bored me to tears of the Kingdom.

Zelda has it's own structural problems, and I couldn't care less about it's story or world. But I enjoyed the systemic nature of it more. It's problem solving using playful systems is what I come back too.
Yes my friends

Elden Ring open world baron janky and lifeless like dinosaur bones

TOTK Deep with many layers in affects

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Top Bottom