• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had to choose one. Elden Ring or Zelda Totk?

Between Elden Ring and Totk which do you choose

• Zelda Totk

Votes: 208 46.5%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 239 53.5%

• Total voters

Chiggs

Tears of the Kingdom, by a hair. Both games are top tier.

And who knows: maybe Elden Ring's expansion content will be incredible.

Elden Ring for now. The underground in totk seems cool until you find out you cant get out unless you fast travel, what a letdown when ER does it so well. Also, contraptions are not saved after entring a shrine. I didnt spent 20 minutes building a car to have it all go poof when I enter a loading screen nintendo.

SiahWester

I don't think it's a really good comparison. Totally different games. Totk is pretty underwhelming to me which is more about the Switch hardware than the game itself. The game does a lot of things right. Elden Ring gets so challenging that I just stopped playing, but the start was amazing. I just have to figure out wtf to do.

Last edited:

Kururi

Neo Member
When You are not even trying hitting on something groundbreaking it will never compare to the one is and pulling it off. Zelda All the way. a knockoff will always be a knock off of the original.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Elden Ring for now. The underground in totk seems cool until you find out you cant get out unless you fast travel, what a letdown when ER does it so well. Also, contraptions are not saved after entring a shrine. I didnt spent 20 minutes building a car to have it all go poof when I enter a loading screen nintendo.
You can gets out of the underground in TOTKs by building flying machines or the dragons

Lots of parts down ther vicious enemies and good powerups also follow the questlines

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It's very very tough so far. I like both a lot so far, very different gameplay experiences. I will say TOTK has more gameplay for whatever mood you're in.
Like if you feel like something epic - do a tears quest or if you feel like Relaxing and watching stuff while you play handheld.. You can go korok hunting or do shrines or even build yourself a massive random vehicle.

In Elden Ring you're always on I think and requires your full attention.

correojon

I voted TotK, I'm a bit burned on the Souls formula and Elden Ring didn't change it enough for me. Besides, to me Souls' greatest strength is it's combat and IMHO it peaked with Sekiro. I enjoyed Elden Ring a lot, but I would preffer if the next Souls game was Sekiro-2 or something with that structure: Smaller, more linear, but with a much highly tuned combat system.
I only got into the hype for TotK a couple of weeks before release, but it has surpassed my expectations by far. The Fuse+UltraHand+Huge open world combo, covered with a thousand layers of Nintendo polish is a huge accomplishment that I don´t think any other dev in the industry can come close to.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Both games do different things exceedingly well.

So much so that the choice can only really come down to personal preference (mine is Elden Ring by a very small amount).

They are both GOTY for their respective years though.

In part because they both respect the player’s intelligence and capabilities, in a way that no other open world games even come close to.

And in part because they’ve both created vast, sense open worlds, where the thrill of exploration is honed to within an inch of its life.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's very very tough so far. I like both a lot so far, very different gameplay experiences. I will say TOTK has more gameplay for whatever mood you're in.
Like if you feel like something epic - do a tears quest or if you feel like Relaxing and watching stuff while you play handheld.. You can go korok hunting or do shrines or even build yourself a massive random vehicle.

In Elden Ring you're always on I think and requires your full attention.
Yeah, imagine building something in Elden Ring.
You’re halfway done with your super cool carriage when a giant crow attacks you from behind with a 3-hit beak combo. You run, trying to get enough distance to heal. Meanwhile the struggle aggros some other monster that proceeds to tear your beautiful creation to pieces before turning on you.

Gambit2483

TotK is really great, but Elden Ring all day. Genuine challenge, tighter systems, stunning world, vastly better writing, less repetitive.
You make some great points but I still find that between the sky above and the ground below, TOTK beats Elden Ring in sheer exploration (yes, including Elden Ring's unground worlds).

Just my opinion.👍

Top Bottom