• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had to choose one. Elden Ring or Zelda Totk?

Between Elden Ring and Totk which do you choose

• Zelda Totk

Votes: 208 46.5%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 239 53.5%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Zelda by a mile. The only thing Elden Ring has going for it is the combat. It's a dumbed down Souls knock off with a huge boring empty world. It hurts me to say as I love Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro
Yes for the loves of gaming I pick the game that pushes industry gameplay further my friends TOTK

Elden Ring has no actual stuffs to do in the open world but combats and it STILL has than Dark Souls gen jank

From needs to works on their technical sides, I'm sorry my friends I must go.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yes for the loves of gaming I pick the game that pushes industry gameplay further my friends TOTK

Elden Ring has no actual stuffs to do in the open world but combats and it STILL has than Dark Souls gen jank

We’ve all played the game, some YouTube video is not going to convince anyone to share your hot takes. Give it a rest.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
We’ve all played the game, some YouTube video is not going to convince anyone to share your hot takes. Give it a rest.
Yes but it's not juuuuuust the video I should not have posted this though I'm sorry my friends this is not honourable

Nintendo is pushing soooooooo much different gameplay systems in Tears was the points I was trying a get across the industries needs this

From is still great though its just that Nintendo Zelda team is next level I will go now and keep my opinions to the Zelda thread

Madflavor

My instinct was that it is too early to make this sort of thread, as you need a similar level of completion to accurately compare two games. You can't vote while in the honeymoon phase, as you'll likely change your opinion over time.

I'm surprised to see that the poll is far more evenly split than I expected, but without having read any posts I wonder what biases are affecting both sides.
Yeah these were my earlier thoughts too. Plus Zelda’s popularity, it’s impressive the results are this close, I didn’t expect that at all.

Gideon

Real world is not so close though TOTK is way ahead hahaha
That's your opinion man not a fact and they're almost equal with my personal preference giving a slight edge to elden ring for the build options and amazing vistas 🙂 but loving totk a lot so far.

Last edited:

hinch7

Hate micromanaging inventory which BOTW and TOTK's core gameplay is based upon. So Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Definitely Elden Ring. Better combat, better exploration, packed with things to discover, a far more interesting world, and a stunning art design.

I absolutely love TotK, but it’s not even my favorite Zelda ((ALttP+ALbW is). Don’t get me wrong though, it’s still an all time top 10 for me (BotW certainly wasn’t), but it’s not ER good.

Tams

All I've seen from TotK's combat is people finding different ways to break the game with Fuse. On the one hand it's very creative and funny, but on the other hand the game's been out for a week and people have found a ton of ways to cheese even the toughest enemies in the game and make them look like a joke. It's a novelty that won't last, and in the end will serve to only cheapen the game. Not that Elden Ring didn't have builds that made boss fights easier, but there are countless videos out there of a naked Link running around in circles while whatever contraption someone built is melting an enemy.

Elden Ring's combat is far more personal, fast paced, and exciting. And the variety of builds in the game due to the boat loads of spells, weapon skills, weapon types, and ashes, creates tons of room for experimentation.

But:
  • It still takes some skill to make those contraptions, especially if you don't look them up.
  • If you choose to cheese the game, well that's your choice.
  • TotK is moderately challenging if you play it 'vanilla'/the signposted route.
An example: I cleared a cave and just excited through the ceiling. But I exited onto a mountainside at night into a thunderstorm. I switch my sword but was too slow to switch my shield and got zapped to death.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Elden Ring is definitely better than BOTW. But I haven't decided yet if it's better than TOTK. I'm still playing TOTK and I'm having a lot of fun. They improved the first game a lot and it sucked me in from the beginning. I still prefer the combat, bosses and loot of Elden Ring, but for everthing else, I'm on the TOTK side right now. I don't know if my opinion will change as I keep playing, I'm worried that it might repeat itself and become boring.

I am grateful to their devs for presenting two such great games to us at a time when the gaming industry is getting worse day by day because of greed.

Madflavor

TotK has better NPCs and quests than Elden Ring? What?
Side quests in Elden Ring literally lead you to entire optional zones that yield hours and hours of content. The fucking Haligtree where you fight Malenia is a side quest.

Someone name an NPC in TotK who’s more memorable and iconic than Ranni, Blaedd, or Alexander. You can’t, and if you try you’re dead wrong.

Side quests in Elden Ring literally lead you to entire optional zones that yield hours and hours of content. The fucking Haligtree where you fight Malenia is a side quest.

Someone name an NPC in TotK who’s more memorable and iconic than Ranni, Blaedd, or Alexander. You can’t, and if you try you’re dead wrong.
Hell even a minor Elden Ring NPC like the prawn shack guy has ten times more personality than main characters in BotW/TotK.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What's with the "Elden Ring vs not my favourite game" threads? Sounds like desperate attempts to keep ER in the spotlight when another game has come to steal its lunch for a few weeks. Relax ER fans, when that DLC hits your favorite game will have half of the first page to itself.

Madflavor

What's with the "Elden Ring vs not my favourite game" threads? Sounds like desperate attempts to keep ER in the spotlight when another game has come to steal its lunch for a few weeks. Relax ER fans, when that DLC hits your favorite game will have half of the first page to itself.
Is that how you’re interpreting this? The guy who made this thread opened up with saying he doesn’t like ER, and the other thread is about complaining about it’s Open World design.

We were just minding our business on the Elden Throne as usual when ya’ll started shit.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I picked Zelda, because I die less to achieve the same means to an end, lol.
Does not mean I like Elden Ring any less, I like the game very much! I just have a more pleasant time without being punished for small mistakes. I think that is one of the great separators between the two and a major one at that.

Gideon

There's 2 threads about elden ring that start with "I don't like elden ring" so they obv aren't ER fans.

kunonabi

If the camera, controls, and boss fights weren't such garbage I'd say Elden Ring. Which isn't to say I'm love with TotK but I like the map and traversal way more since it isn't littered with a bunch of giant cliffs that force you to go the long way to a spot right next to you. Locking interesting locations behind random portals across the map also doesn't appeal to me.

Ideally though I'd prefer mix between the two since they both excel in the areas that the other does not.

ungalo

I pick Elden Ring over TotK but BoTW over Elden Ring.

Priority to the biggest effort and achievement.

I don't prefer one proposition over the other. Even though i think TotK (like BoTW) has something special/original that ER doesn't have.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Elden ring absolutely smash tokt when it comes to Combat, bosses, normal mobs, interesting loot, dungeons, level of challenge.

Tokt win for everything else.

Hard to chose, both good but immensely different.
TBH I'd say Elden Ring also wins out in art and level design

Zelda is definitely more varied though. The fact that they don't really put much focus on combat itself is actually somewhat of a boon to everything else IMO. That's what really distinguishes it from ER. I still prefer ER though just because I love the Souls formula so much. Not many do boss battles quite as well as them.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yes but it's not juuuuuust the video I should not have posted this though I'm sorry my friends this is not honourable

Nintendo is pushing soooooooo much different gameplay systems in Tears was the points I was trying a get across the industries needs this

From is still great though its just that Nintendo Zelda team is next level I will go now and keep my opinions to the Zelda thread
gordon-ramsay-get-out.gif

Ogbert

Zelda.

But this is a fundamentally silly comparison. Zelda and Souls are my two favourite series. They are, however, different games. Zelda is a true *adventure* game. Souls is an action rpg.

I personally think that ER diluted what makes Souls games incredible. Whereas BoTW augments the Zelda formula.

GymWolf

TBH I'd say Elden Ring also wins out in art and level design

Zelda is definitely more varied though. The fact that they don't really put much focus on combat itself is actually somewhat of a boon to everything else IMO. That's what really distinguishes it from ER. I still prefer ER though just because I love the Souls formula so much. Not many do boss battles quite as well as them.
I can get behind that, but tokt has abilities that can break most games so to have such a bugfree game is a big success in world design.

I prefer elden ring just because i love good combat systems and more interesting loot but i have way more fun interacting with the world of tokt for obvious reasons, if only the horses in totk weren't absolute dogshit it could have been even better.

Last edited:

linko9

Can't choose while Zelda is still so fresh, but I'm just so psyched that we've gotten the two best open world games ever in such a short time span. Very excited to see what both teams do next. Would be even better if the lessons from these games are learned by other open world games, but we'll have to wait and see.

Zathalus

Wonder what pops up if you open up YouTube and search for Breath of the Wild bugs...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m absolutely loving ToTK, and it may objectively be the better game, but Elden Ring has an exploratory brilliance to it that is unmatched.

There’s nothing in Zelda like that chest that transports you to Leyndell, when you’ve barely started the game, and it just says ‘this is where you’re going, this is huge, and it ain’t even the end’.

Both are amazing games, but Elden Ring is better for me.

Zelda.

But this is a fundamentally silly comparison. Zelda and Souls are my two favourite series. They are, however, different games. Zelda is a true *adventure* game. Souls is an action rpg.

I personally think that ER diluted what makes Souls games incredible. Whereas BoTW augments the Zelda formula.
Thats ridiculous. The idea that Elden Ring isn't a true adventure game is completely and fundamentally wrong.

BotW was awful. It was empty, boring, the divine beasts were terrible, the shrines were ok but the powers were boring. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Zelda games, hell, it would be low on my top 10. I'm actually shocked that TotK is so good, and would come in second for me behind A Link to the Past/A link Between Worlds, which I count as a single game.

Bekind

Neo Member

Bro, chill out, LOL. You contribute half of this thread's comments.

For a moment i thought you were paid by Nintendo for being this try hard for defending TOTK because you were like prasing TOTK with your dedicated floods of comments like your full time job, LOL.

Life has so many other things to do than coming back to a thread every 5 seconds and arguing something that doesnt even matter. Jesus.

Anyways, my pick would be Elden Ring>BTOW>>>>>TOTK, easiest choice of my life.

Bro, chill out, LOL. You contribute half of this thread's comments.

For a moment i thought you were paid by Nintendo for being this try hard for defending TOTK because you were like prasing TOTK with your dedicated floods of comments like your full time job, LOL.

Life has so many other things to do than coming back to a thread every 5 seconds and arguing something that doesnt even matter. Jesus.

Anyways, my pick would be Elden Ring>BTOW>>>>>TOTK, easiest choice of my life.
Now that Elden Ring is winning the poll I suspect we'll see less of him

I voted TotK. I'm a huge fan of each series of games. I find Elden Ring to be the weakest of From's Souls games, because the open world dilutes the formula. It takes away from the amount of tightly designed levels and dilutes the combat due to the amount of trash mob enemies. Since they can't carefully place enemies you also run into major balance issues in terms of the difficulty curve. The overall difficulty level of the game seems out of balance as a result.

Top Bottom