• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you had to choose one. Elden Ring or Zelda Totk?

Between Elden Ring and Totk which do you choose

• Zelda Totk

Votes: 208 46.5%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 239 53.5%

• Total voters

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Still early in TOTK for me, but so far Elden Ring has it easily. TOTK is a great follow up to BOTW but Elden Ring last year made me feel like BOTW did 6 years ago.
Tears of the Kingdom is IMO a major step-up from Breath of the Wild that I found aimless. Here starting from the Wind Temple and going on....it all meshes into a masterpiece and one of the best Nintendo games ever.

AZRoboto

Neo Member
I don't know if I can pick. I'm so early in TotK, but it's so captivating every session I've had with it.

Elden Ring I binged on almost exclusively for two months, 130 hours, 40 of which were during a week I had COVID and felt so nasty that ER was all I could do. It is the best gaming experience I had to that point and still today. The agency it gives the player to conquer its world's gods and demons with a character built to our exact desired spec. It's not just Link with this armor, it's my appearance and my skillset and these weapons I've earned the statuses and power within them.

Tears of the Kingdom (like BotW) hits so many of the same notes on player agency going through this torn world for us to conquer the mysteries of, but I don't think it'll top Elden Ring unless, 100 hours in, I'm finding myself as wowed still as I'm getting in my first 10.

Madflavor

Big Sean Omg GIF

ER sold 20 million copies.
DS sold 27 million
Sekiro sold 5 million
Bloodborne sold 2 million
DeSR sold 1.4 million
More niche than Zelda. Elden Ring is where FromSoftware games really took off due to the hype and marketing behind it. But it's nowhere near Zelda's level of popularity.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Elden Ring - I’m loving TotK but some of these one liners keep me with ER. I will say TotK has better dungeons than BotW. The escapism found in this world is wonderful. Idk if it beats the first glimpse at the academy. Some parts of TotK you can climb over and you can tell where they put a slippery texture to block you from going any further. ER had a couple barriers preventing you from advancing. ER had some interesting creatures and bosses. Zelda has had good bosses. Idk if they’re the best the series ever had or if they’re just good enough to fill in the requirement for X boss of their area.
yes, this. This moment is what it feels like. I want to feel this feeling in future installments.

brian0057

Banned
Tears of the Kingdom.
Because, like in Breath of the Wild, you can still go straight to the final boss as soon as you leave the tutorial area.
And that's a level of freedom that still tickles me in all the right places.

Plus multiplayer.

Both are great though.

Yeah don't get me wrong, Zelda is excellent

BUT

The core "gameplay" just isn't as strong to me. It has a better open world/discovery/NPCs and in general is more pleasing to play (since it's more lighthearted). Granted, I haven't played any of the dungeons yet in TOTK but just going by the exploration you can see that Zelda still does suffer similar flaws that other open worlds do - checklist, repetitive tasks scattered throughout. I haven't particularly found the NPC side quests all that interesting either (generally fetch quests and the like). The massive underworld section doesn't seem TOO compelling either, and is somewhat of a missed opportunity. Combat remains clunky and unsatisfying. Thus far I am not seeing the *big step up* from BOTW. The vehicle stuff is neat I suppose but still just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

The puzzles in TOTK haven't been all that strong either. The shrine system and mechanics are a bit better in TOTK than BOTW, but still kinda feel like you're just quickly rushing through some simple tasks rather than building into something more grand like the previous Zelda titles. Honestly TOTK is making me appreciate something like Skyward Sword....it still holds up. Sure, not nearly the exploration, but the game design is still tight and interesting and not nearly as much of a time sink.

My opinion could change of course as I go through TOTK. Elden Ring just managed to capture my moment to moment engagement and wonder quite a bit more. TBH though I would sort of like a hybrid of TOTK and Elden Ring which would be effectively the perfect game. TOTK discovery/sandbox systems, combined with Elden Ring Combat and progression systems and legacy dungeons, topped off with OOT/SS Dungeon design and Story focus...

Last edited:

Gp1

Tears of the Kingdom

But to be clear, these are two vastly different types of games that happen to be open world,Zelda is a big puzzle game with action layered on top,the combat sucks, but it still a fun game with actual town.

Finally someone said it.

Only have about 5 hours in ToTK but easily that. Just didn't think ER was very good. Only FROM game I couldn't bring myself to finish.

Main difference for me is just how I loathed having to explore in ER, but love doing it in Zelda. Feel rewarded in Zelda, but felt like I was wasting time in ER. Also love the constant puzzles that Zelda offers. Whether that big environment puzzles, or shrines.

Where ER blows Zelda out of the water is combat though. BoTW was dated af with the combat and from my little bit of playing ToTK, it doesn't seem improved at all in that aspect.

Hero_Select

Tears of the Kingdom is a better game for me in almost every aspect except maybe combat, neither are particularly complicated but I'd edge it to Elden Ring.

But yeah, Tears of the Kingdom by a decent margin.

DavidGzz

I tried it up for ER. Woot. I'm glad both exist. One for me and one for my daughter who is LOVING Zelda. Let's be friends guise.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Close poll buts in the real world its not close TOTK will go on to sell more and be considered better all time games

Elden ring fun but very shallow in comparison like a puddle on a days where it didn't rain much

Not many peoples would claim Elden Ring is the best game ever now but TOTK will be prolly be in the argument as best ever

MagnesD3

Considering how more niche FromSoftware games are, Zelda's 30+ history and popularity, and TotK literally coming out a week ago, Elden Ring is actually doing much better in this poll than I thought it would. I was expecting around a 30/70 ratio.
Yeah Elden Ring has to go up against an OG nintendo mainline franchise with tons of nostalgia and the power of the normie minecraft sandbox numbers, it's a miracle it was close at all.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yeah Elden Ring has to go up against an OG nintendo mainline franchise with tons of nostalgia and the power of the normie minecraft sandbox numbers, it's a miracle it was close at all.
This forum heavily leans souls over nintendo surprised TOTK is doing so wells

Real world is not so close though TOTK is way ahead hahaha

Hero_Select

Elden Ring is great at what it does but what it does is very singular. Zelda has shrines, puzzles, mini-games and a lot more interactivity with the world around it that the sheer variety of the things you're doing just makes it a better game for me. It's a lot more adventurous.

lachesis

I like bright atmosphere of TOTK. so I am with TOTK. I am a Soulborne virgin, so I don't know what I am missing though. (Whole thing got popular while I was married, so I missed the whole bandwagon - and I am now single, so I may give it a go - but in general, I am not too intrigued by dark/medieval fantasy games)

While one can argue Zelda is just medieval settings - but I find it more comical and cartoon like. (And probably that's the reason that I am not too into Twilight Princess much, but love Wind Waker)

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Every aspect?
Challenge? Combat? Art style/enemy designs? Bosses?

Zelda has been braindead easy for decades - that alone is a major mark against it.
TOTK has everthings

Elden Ring only has combat and its overrated slow and clunky

Hows many times can you crudding dodge roll?

It was fun for a minute but Dark Souls and Bloodborne were the peaks Souls Elden Rings open world is just wall paper with no interactions

unclbenn

Elden rings difficulty spikes were too much for me. It's a fantastic game but I liked the difficulty of Zelda's enemy's encounters better. Also the physics puzzles are really what makes this game fun.

Naked Lunch

TOTK has everthings

Elden Ring only has combat and its overrated slow and clunky

Hows many times can you crudding dodge roll?

It was fun for a minute but Dark Souls and Bloodborne were the peaks Souls Elden Rings open world is just wall paper with no interactions
Youre not addressing that the Zelda series (outside of Zelda 2 NES) has been cemented in child difficulty for decades.
Something so easy - to me - feels pointless.
I get it - Zeldas are usually timeless good family fun for all ages - but for my tastes I need challenge to continue playing your single player game.

As for your points - you can easily play Elden Ring without dodge rolling and can certainly make a fast moving build - as well as countless other builds - espcially in comparison to Zelda's very limited combat - not even close.

Gojiira

TOTK easy

More variety? :messenger_tears_of_joy: The only things you can do in it is fight

Elden Rings is not evens the best Souls game
Bloodborne is my fave Soulslike, but between TotK and Elden Ring, ER wins….Kinda missed the point there bud…
As for variety, yes ER does have more variety of EVERYTHING, locations, weapons, enemy types, spells, armour, builds, combat encounters. Its a much deeper experience.

Soodanim

Gold Member
My instinct was that it is too early to make this sort of thread, as you need a similar level of completion to accurately compare two games. You can't vote while in the honeymoon phase, as you'll likely change your opinion over time.

I'm surprised to see that the poll is far more evenly split than I expected, but without having read any posts I wonder what biases are affecting both sides.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Bloodborne is my fave Soulslike, but between TotK and Elden Ring, ER wins….Kinda missed the point there bud…
As for variety, yes ER does have more variety of EVERYTHING, locations, weapons, enemy types, spells, armour, builds, combat encounters. Its a much deeper experience.
Disagrees on location TOTK has far more crazy crud to see and everything else you mentioned has to doo with combat

there is nothing elses in Elden Ring but combat

TOTK: Better movements, interactive, phsyics, npc's, towns, quests, wars, puzzles, building, hunting, survival, combat, exploration, platforming, sandbox gameplays

Elden Ring: combat

Elden Ring is a grain of sand

TOTK the entire Ocean

Fredrik

Too soon, I’ll pick a winner after 300+ hours. But Elden Ring is my #2 all time game, only surpassed by Super Metroid, it’s not an easy game to beat for me.

I can say this, TOTK is currently rushing up my top 10 but as with BOTW I still dislike the breakable weapons, makes finding loot and exploration less rewarding than what Elden Ring are doing.

Zelda by a mile. The only thing Elden Ring has going for it is the combat. It's a dumbed down Souls knock off with a huge boring empty world. It hurts me to say as I love Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro

Last edited:
Top Bottom