• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ign: Rumors Swirl Around E3’s Future as Sega, Even More Publishers Back Out

Draugoth

Gold Member
dvhwsls5p8s3fl4ho8jyd-n-s7xd1r-2tncn0qiwh8y-1680024681300.jpg

IGN reporters have spoken with numerous individuals in publishing and PR who typically have knowledge of event strategies, all of whom expressed concern about the status of this summer’s event. Many told us that they hadn’t heard of anyone else who was planning to attend for sure, and some said they felt there had been a significant lack of communication from the ESA and organizer ReedPop as to what exactly they should expect from the show. Several described the situation as one where everyone was waiting for someone else to be the first to jump, but no one was willing to take the leap – and time was running out.

As one knowledgeable source put it ahead of the Monday news of Ubisoft’s departure from the show, “There’s no possible way this show can happen.”

Neither ESA nor ReedPop responded to IGN's request for comment in time for publication.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It makes me sad to say but it's dead. Who is left to attend?

Maybe next year if ABK goes through Microsoft should team up with EA plus maybe a few others and do a mini-Industry live event.

gothmog

Gold Member
Just cancel it and cite economic reasons. Nobody is travelling right now in order to save money and if these companies are not cutting costs they are cutting staff.

Just like with 2022, it's on cancellation watch. We all know it's gonna happen.

Xbox's Showcase, Nintendo Direct, Sony SOP, Ubisoft Forward, EA Play, and Summer Games Fest to fill out the week and all the stuff that's not in one of the big shows, and we basically have E3, just minus the in-person trade show and booths. The first two weeks of June are still "videogame Christmas", essentially. Just a bummer to have it stretched over 2 weeks instead of a Sunday-Wednesday sprint, and a major bummer to not have the interviews and excitement that come from in-person booths. But, yeah I think it's safe to say E3 is finally dead.

Last edited:

nowhat

So E3 is dead, fine by me.

But I do hope Devolver Digital has their annual "press conference". (last year wasn't that great, but I have faith that they're able to come up with a new twist)

MarkMe2525

While a selfish thought, I am happy I got to experience E3 in person before its nosedive. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of the ability to go for multiple days to see more.

in 15-20 years, revisionists will blame Sony for killing E3 as they do for Sega and almost the death of Nintendo.
Well... They contributed for sure, but so did EA and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I don’t mind publishers cancelling if they’re going to replace it with their own showcases.

They’re not.

Everything is a damn blog post now.

CamHostage

Corporate greed sure knows how to ruin the cool stuff. It's been real, E3.

Right, it's not that they're not interested in staging a marketing damburst of content and announcements or that the mid-summer timeline no longer works for gaming companies. (I had thought that was going to be an issue with game development pushing much longer than in the past, but the known streaming events from Ubisoft and Microsoft are still right in the same June-week-2 time period that E3 was supposed to happen.) They still want the hype pop of E3, they just want to control it (no live demonstrations, no press hands-on, no competitors in the room next door,) and not pay for it.

Strategically, I get it. E3 is a product of an outdated way of selling product. But as a sign of the health of the industry, saving some bucks to not throw parties is a bad trend. (I'd at least be in favor of E3 dying if there were more events like Blizzcon for fans, but then could SEGA or Ubisoft really have a public event that people would come out for?) And for me as a gamer, I just am struggling so hard to summon any at all fucks for any video streaming event. E3 could get boring (it was usually over before the day it official even started, thanks to all the pre-showcases before opening the show floor,) but at least it was live in the moment and at a given time that I could set aside some enthusiasm.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Agreed. It was always an exciting time of year. Almost like our gaming Super Bowl as well.

We finally agree! Lol

Yeah in all seriousness it will be a massive shame if it stops completely. But with social media now they can just put out their own presentation videos online

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We finally agree! Lol

Yeah in all seriousness it will be a massive shame if it stops completely. But with social media now they can just put out their own presentation videos online
I agree with how boring and anticlimactic it feels now, but I also get the business side of things since engagement is higher than it's ever been for products now.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I agree with how boring and anticlimactic it feels now, but I also get the business side of things since engagement is higher than it's ever been for products now.

The gaming industry is bigger than its ever been, I just don’t get how company’s don’t embrace the gamers and why is there not more tv programs and stuff about our hobby. Things like E3 should be the pinnacle for us games to see future games

I can confirm this. As a industry person who's been to every E3 since 2013 in the media space. I've attended previous press conferences of the big 2. I have yet to receive any kind of communication on what's happening in regards to our website registration for E3.

We were sent an email out back in December and asked to register for E3. Ever since then, I haven't heard back from my contact in regards to our status. Normally, we would have heard by sometime in March. But we are now very close to April. Either A) I'll wait a bit longer or B) I'll get in touch with them myself.

With the publishers starting to pull out I am starting to think it won't even be worth it for me to go there. As i do pay my own expenses for the food and travel etc.

I primary visit E3 every year for the sake of developer interviews and tech demos. And of course the press conferences.

Last edited:
IGN working with rumors? They hate E3 or something?
Sony won't be there.
Microsoft won't be there.
Nintendo won't be there.
Ubisoft won't be there.

That's all official.

And I really doubt IGN is pulling the rumors about Sega and Tencent out of thin air or from some random guy online.

E3 is in trouble.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony won't be there.
Microsoft won't be there.
Nintendo won't be there.
Ubisoft won't be there.

That's all official.

And I really doubt IGN is pulling the rumors about Sega and Tencent put of thin air or from some random guy online.

E3 is in trouble.
EA has been doing their own thing as well.

Wulfer

Technically Microsoft will be there, they just moved the location for the show across the street. Physically they won't be on ESA rented property.

CamHostage

Salty they are never going to get their all expenses paid, VIP, publishers kissing their ass, annual road trip ever again. Good.

Game press sites and freelance journalists pay a shitton to be a part of industry events. Streaming services and bandwidth, travel and transport, board, IT and support staff, sometimes floor space... its a massive operating cost, E3 was probably the biggest section of the annual budget for sites like ign, ideally with traffic and subs that would pay it off.

But yes, it's every journalist's dream come true to get an all-expenses-paid trip to the Staples Center...

Last edited:
You do, but you're a wannabe start-up games journo.
Wanna be start up games journo? I own a website have a couple employees and I've been in this industry for 7 years What the hell are you talking about Billy Bob? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have no idea how anything works. The only time no one pays for their stuff, is if the PR company invites you out to a private showing, which I have attended to plenty off. Didn't had to pay for hotel or travel, they all paid for it after I showed provided them with my receipts.

E3 is a giant venue, just because ESA invited you to E3 doesn't mean they'll be paying for it. The media tickets are the only thing that's free. People who work at IGN get their travel paid for by their bosses. I however, have to pay myself because I am the boss of my own company. The only time I never paid for anything is when a publisher sent me a private invitation for a showing or a preview event that's not even related to E3 and is its own thing.

Last edited:
IGN 'insiders' that seem to be in conflict with recent developments.

E3 would have cancelled if it was dire before the Ubisoft pullout, so I doubt they don't have anyone. Likely they have surprises as they claimed before.

Top Bottom