• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imma let you finish, but Captain America has the greatest rogue's gallery of ALL TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Flash wins.

Gorilla Grodd is a telepathic gorilla. Professor Zoom is a time-travelling asshole who fucks up Barry Allen's life in reverse. And The Rogues (Captain Cold, Trickster, Weather Wizard, Golden Glider, Captain Boomerang, Heatwave, The Top, Weather Wizard) are flat-out bad-asses who all prove worthy adversaries for The Flash.

The Rogues alone are an A-List rogues gallery. And Flash also faces a time-travelling magician regularly. Utter. Boss.

Shit, his Rogues gallery is so awesome that The Rogues got tie-in mini series to Final Crisis, AND Forever Evil. They're so epic that they feature in their own stories independent of The Flash. In the last few years alone they've fought zombies, New Gods AND faced off against superpowered villains from another universe SIMPLY because those characters dared threaten Central City, their hometown.

Also... Heatwave managed to melt a Black Lantern ring WITH A HEAT GUN. Something that it took multiple Emotional Spectrum team-ups to do. '"Everything has a melting point."

Came to post about Flash's God tier Rogues gallery but you beat me to it and did it better then I could.

ZeroX03

Banned
Zemo is great. The rest I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Flash and Batman have fantastic rogues. Spidey too. X-Men are a bit blurred because you have whole teams and factions that don't always play toward traditional hero vs. villain lines but there's a bunch of great characters who can read as antagonists.

MightyKAC

While I do disagree with the premise, as an old school comic book fan the OP was a damn fine read.

Thanks for posting it.

Wiseblade

I was just about to make a thread about how Spider-Man has the greatest Rogues Gallery of all time. Now I have to wait like at least a month so my thread doesn't look like a copy of yours.

You're wrong, by the way. For similar reasons that anyone saying Batman would be wrong. Red Skull/Zemo qare the only ones that matter, especially in terms of thinking about Cap personally. The rest are more Avengers villains, and low tier ones at that.

While most heroes have one breakout nemesis, Spider-Man has three. Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin and Venom are all top tier villains. His b-list is impressive too. Black Cat, Kingpin (so much better as a Spidey villain), Mysterio, Kraven, Lizard, Sandman, Rhino, Chameleon, Scorpion.... Even Big Wheel is the best of the joke villains.

I've always thought Spider-Man has one of the most overrated rogues galleries in comics. Apart from Norman Osborn and Octavius they're mostly henchmen or boring imitations of each other.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've always thought Spider-Man has one of the most overrated rogues galleries in comics. Apart from Norman Osborn and Octavius they're mostly henchmen or boring imitations of each other.

honestly, he and the x-men have many villains that should be trimmed or else it just hampers the lists

Apoc is ace man, ace!

the cartoon is the most effective version of him.

Dai101

Banned
I love how them got translated greatly to the big screen:

The Red Skull

mkQHjK0.png

Arnim Zola

AW7oT1C.jpg

Batroc ze Leaper

r4gxzKm.jpg

Brock Rumlow a.k.a. CrossBones

yDrsWBm.jpg

Von Strucker

Un5xFHu.jpg

HAIL HYDRA, bitch.

kmfdmpig

You're wrong, by the way. For similar reasons that anyone saying Batman would be wrong. Red Skull/Zemo qare the only ones that matter, especially in terms of thinking about Cap personally. The rest are more Avengers villains, and low tier ones at that.

While most heroes have one breakout nemesis, Spider-Man has three. Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin and Venom are all top tier villains. His b-list is impressive too. Black Cat, Kingpin (so much better as a Spidey villain), Mysterio, Kraven, Lizard, Sandman, Rhino, Chameleon, Scorpion.... Even Big Wheel is the best of the joke villains.

I'd put Catwoman, Bane, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, and Penguin (not to mention all the smaller ones like Scarecrow, Black Mask, Mr. Freeze, Zsasz) over Spider-Man's. Both in terms of numbers and quality Batman has the best rogue's gallery, IMO.
Spider-Man does have a great set of villains, however.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Movie Von Strucker looks awesome as well. Thomas Kretschmann impressed me in, like, one minute. He's going to be great, hopefully they don't throw him out of a balcony ten minutes in

Hagi

Strucker is fucking awesome, GOAT tier villain in Secret Warriors. Skull was cool when Brubaker was writing him.

I think Daredevil has probably my favourite rogues gallery. Outside of the obvious like Bullseye and Kingpin you have Mister Fear who is absolutely bananas.

Strucker is fucking awesome, GOAT tier villain in Secret Warriors. Skull was cool when Brubaker was writing him.

I think Daredevil has probably my favourite rogues gallery. Outside of the obvious like Bullseye and Kingpin you have Mister Fear who is absolutely bananas.
Also Typhoid Mary. She is the nutsest.

Wiseblade

Dude what. Kingpin is Kingpin in Daredevil. Kingpin is 'fat joke folly' in Spider-Man.

No way. Kingpin in Spidey is a great emobodiment of organised crime. His first appearance in Ultimate Spider-Man was great.

I'd put Catwoman, Bane, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, and Penguin (not to mention all the smaller ones like Scarecrow, Black Mask, Mr. Freeze, Zsasz) over Spider-Man's. Both in terms of numbers and quality Batman has the best rogue's gallery, IMO.
Spider-Man does have a great set of villains, however.

You mentioned Scarecrow twice. That says more than I ever could.

While I love Cap's rogues gallery, his is still lacking when compared to Spidey and Batman.

But, I love this thread just for calling attention to Cap's underrated vault of villains.

I need Zemo on the big screen dammit. It's too bad we probably won't get the Masters of Evil either. A movie of Avengers: Under Siege would have been so badass.

How awesome was he in Blade 2 BTW?

Oh, damn. Totally forgot he was in that. He was awesome, much like the rest of that movie.

good to hear someone else read that and appreciates him. :)

There's a LOT of good villains out there that people dismiss just because they haven't read anything involving them lately.

entremet

Like all Marvel threads, properties with extensive adaptations via movies and TV shows, tend to color people's point of view.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You know what would be better? Top three villains from each rogue gallery and compare from there. Large lists dont do much but see people pull out relic or useless characters to pad the counts up.

You know what would be better? Top three villains from each rogue gallery and compare from there. Large lists dont do much but see people pull out relic or useless characters to pad the counts up.

Out of curiosity, who would you rank as the top 3 for Batman then? Joker is obviously #1, but who would fill slots 2 and 3?

Same with Spidey. Green Goblin and Doc Ock for the top 2 at least.

Wiseblade

Out of curiosity, who would you rank as the top 3 for Batman then? Joker is obviously #1, but who would fill slots 2 and 3?

Same with Spidey. Green Goblin and Doc Ock for the top 2 at least.

Batman

Joker
Ra's al Ghul
Bane?

Spider-Man

Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Venom

Captain America

Red Skull
Baron Zemo
Taskmaster?

X-Men

Magneto?
Apocalypse
Beast? (He's his own worst enemy at this point)

Batman

Joker
Ra's al Ghul
Bane?

Spider-Man

Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Venom

Captain America

Red Skull
Baron Zemo
Taskmaster?

X-Men

Magneto?
Apocalypse
Magneto NOT the number one villain from X-Men? That is a serious problem.

I will agree with the three choices for Spidey though.

Wiseblade said:

He seems to be starting to pull his head out of his furry blue ass. He finally admitted Cyclop was right and that's a step in the right direction.

Hagi

good to hear someone else read that and appreciates him. :)

There's a LOT of good villains out there that people dismiss just because they haven't read anything involving them lately.
I love everything to do with the upper echelon of Hydra in Secret Warriors. Kraken, The Hive, Gorgon and Viper are great.

One of my favourite villains who I think is underated is Ghost he is so creepy post Dark Reign and his powerset is cool. Would have loved to have seen him appear in an Iron Man film.

You see cap's rogues are pretty interchangeable with the Avengers, so half of those guys shouldn't even count. Then again, you're not judging by pure number of Rogues, just which ones are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom