• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [September] Now Voting - Post 878!

BigDug13

Holy crap at OP. I have a bunch of indie games on PC but this thread made me anticipate many upcoming ones! Im so glad that kickstarter and indie games are doing so well, its to the point where THIS is what i want and like to play. Big devs dropped the ball by going for the big cash cows. Fun and adventure is where its at.

Games like GTAV and inFamous are still "must have" to me, and cheap Steam games that I'm enjoying like Just Cause 2. But overall I agree. The indie game experience has definitely lowered my AAA desire.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Games like GTAV and inFamous are still "must have" to me, and cheap Steam games that I'm enjoying like Just Cause 2. But overall I agree. The indie game experience has definitely lowered my AAA desire.

Yeah, of course. I wouldnt want to miss the big budget games entirely either, but those games rarely need us telling others about them, so I usually focus on talking Indie, even if some people might think I am on an Anti-AAA warfare :p

You might see me less this month, cause of school and...GTA V (in 15 days!!!!!!) but because GTA, I'm only anticipating indies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You might see me less this month, cause of school and...GTA V (in 15 days!!!!!!) but because GTA, I'm only anticipating indies.

I cant wait to dive back into EUIV as well. This thread needed a few days of my attention though :p

Hofmann

The smell of fresh games is still wafting through the air. So, to intensify it even more - some screenshots for you to look at.

Proxy Blade - An action adventure game with a deep combat system set in a distant space-age future.
ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

Octopus City Blues - Octopus City Blues is a 2D adventure game that focuses on exploration, replay value and the consequences of choices.

Deadwood - For a moment I thought it's a videogame adaptation of one of my favourite TV series. Disappointingly it's a top-down survival-shooter with wooden zombies. Still looks quite good, though.

Volume - From the creator of Thomas Was Alone - new stealth game about being heard.

Courier of the Crypts - 2D puzzle-exploration-action game with a twist. You play a role of a young courier that undertakes simple delivery for the custodian of the crypts which soon turns out into a deadly adventure.

Belladonna - Mystery Point & Click adventure game, where you have to unravel the tale of Belladonna and her husband Frans, as the dead are brought back to life and the living are not to be trusted.

Modulate - Sci-fi first-person puzzle platformer.

Cth

So many amazing games this month... and even better I've played quite a few of them already.

Woke up this morning, saw the new thread and have been hooked on playing Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing.

http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/
Free (PC, Browser)

Hilarious browser game that so far has managed to keep things fresh. Level saves via passwords.

daydream

Banned
Yay, new thread. Good job as always, Toma. I don't post much in these, but I read every post and try out a lot of the games, so thanks!

Hofmann

The Wanderer - The Wanderer is a survival game that puts you in the shoes of a robot that is trying to escape a dying planet.

The Girl and the Robot - The Girl and the Robot is a unique action/adventure game set in a fairy tale world. You play as a little girl trying to escape from an ancient castle ruled by an evil queen. While trying to find a way out, you meet a defective robot that helps you in your adventure.

? - Buildings, mechanical horses and lots of color - concrete jungle in its finest.

Static Sky - Cyberpunk real-time third person tactical combat game, designed exclusively for tablet devices.

Fancy Skulls - Just some fancy trees, made for procedurally generated First Person Shooter.

Gravia Tactics - Tactical Role-Playing Game influenced by TRPGs such as Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, as well as the more story heavy RPGs like the core Final Fantasy series, Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean.

Toma

Yay, new thread. Good job as always, Toma. I don't post much in these, but I read every post and try out a lot of the games, so thanks!

You are welcome :) And even more welcome if you should ever decide to post your own impressions ;) Writing impressions on games is the best way to convince others to play these games too, which also helps the devs.

Random aside, I am doing some thinking about the end of the year voting. If you feel like you want to participate, I will probably require everyone to have participated in at least one previous monthly voting to get rid of drive-by votes.

Toma

The Girl and the Robot - The Girl and the Robot is a unique action/adventure game set in a fairy tale world. You play as a little girl trying to escape from an ancient castle ruled by an evil queen. While trying to find a way out, you meet a defective robot that helps you in your adventure.

That is soooooo Ghibli-style.

Hey Toma, we talked blogs a bit in the August thread. Are hits the same as page views?

I get about 100+ views a day, with between 200 to 400 on the days where I posted about popular or recent indies. From August 20th to August 31st, I had 1783 views. Is that considered good for a small blog?

Toma

Hey Toma, we talked blogs a bit in the August thread. Are hits the same as page views?

I get about 100+ views a day, with between 200 to 400 on the days where I posted about popular or recent indies. From August 20th to August 31st, I had 1783 views. Is that considered good for a small blog?

Yes, it is very, very, very good. You apparently belong to the small percentage of people who managed to be very luck with the way they attract people. It took me 3 years to get 100 hits on a single day. And because of that: If you ever feel like your readers want some free music, feel free to link my blog ;p

Or at least a link to something they might like, like the videogamey Pyramid record (which I am still madly in love with): http://wasfuersohr.blogspot.de/2013/07/pyramid-2011-lost-in-space.html

Was playing some Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing. The RPG character screen is hilarious.

ib0Jc4zX6m7k9j.jpg

Was loving it until...
ibz1xUI3Jb9Jwv.jpg

FUCK THAT SHIT

EDIT: Just got past that hacking stage.

OH WAIT HUGE MASSIVE PLOT TWIST! HOLY WOW! Just finished it, haha would never have expected a narrative arc in a typing game. Bravo!

I made a little thread about Sokobond, one for Toma I'm sure!

Quick summary from that thread:

This is a level of Sokobond:

07duVIO.jpg

If you've ever played a puzzle game before, you probably had pangs of recognition about the title of this game, and you can certainly see what's going on now! Basically, it plays a bit like Sokoban.

Where in that game, though, your goal was to push blocks onto certain squares, your goal here is to construct molecules. You control the atom surrounded by a dotted line, and use the arrow keys to move it around. The small dots around each atom signify how many bonds it can have. So, for example, if you bonded the two hydrogen atoms on the left and right together, both would use up their available single bond, and so the solution would fail! Sometimes, though, you can use atoms which have had their bonds used up to
push other atoms around to make them accessible. Your ultimate goal is to bond all the atoms together (and use all available bonds) and then you can move on!

Hopefully that doesn't sound too complicated because, well, it's not. It's incredibly simple to get to grips with the game and its mechanics, but the puzzles soon get very difficult...

Toma

I made a little thread about Sokobond, one for Toma I'm sure!

Screenshot and gameplay description in your post please, so I wont miss it when adding games next month ;) And these games NEED a demo, boggles my mind if Indie devs dont provide one.

Nabs

Is Elliot Quest supposed to be a 30 minute demo, or did IGS just upload the wrong file? I know it's still in development, but I was really getting into it when I got hit with that screen. I'm installing through Desura now.

And also keep an eye on Treasure Adventure World, which is in development.

Eh. I'm not a fan of what they're doing with that. I'll still pick it up to show support for such an amazing game.

Toma

Is Elliot Quest supposed to be a 30 minute demo, or did IGS just upload the wrong file? I know it's still in development, but I was really getting into it when I got hit with that screen. I'm installing through Desura now.

Eh. I'm not a fan of what they're doing with that. I'll still pick it up to show support for such an amazing game.

Yeah, that sounds like the demo version. Hopefully its not the full version, that would be super weird.

Mr.Ock

Hey Toma, thanks for the thread and for the amazing work you do for us every month. It's so convenient to browse this thread and keep track of all the (always plenty!) new indie releases!

Nabs

Elliot Quest feels really tight. It's going to be an amazing game once it's complete. Grab it from IGS now so you're ready to play it with us when it's finally done.

It's too bad the Indiegogo campaign didn't go so well.

I played through Shelter yesterday. The premise of playing a mother badger going on a journey with her five babies is quite a unique one, but I couldn't help but feel as though its narrative and the lengths it goes to try to create a bond between the player and the baby badgers could have been done a bit better. Once I reached the end, I understood what the game was trying to say. I just don't think it left much of an impact on me as I believe it wanted to.

It's strongest assets are clearly its art style and its music. The art style is lovely; a striking aesthetic that reminds me of paper mache. The ambient music also surprised me by how much I enjoyed it. It is used in many instances to punctuate certain pivotal moments or sections very well.

Some mechanics like lunging at other animals are rather clunky, and in the case of feeding food to your babies, are somewhat obtuse. I never really knew why I should be feeding food to the babies outside of that first moment. I simply just did for the sake of it. And there didn't seem to be any kind of health system for the babies or even an injured state as far as I know. Maybe I was just living vicariously through the mother badger while wanting to feed her children every so often.

Hofmann

I played through Shelter yesterday. The premise of playing a mother badger going on a journey with her five babies is quite a unique one, but I couldn't help but feel as though its narrative and the lengths it goes to try to create a bond between the player and the baby badgers could have been done a bit better. Once I reached the end, I understood what the game was trying to say. I just don't think it left much of an impact on me as I believe it wanted to.

It's strongest assets as clearly its art style and its music. The art style is lovely; a striking aesthetic that reminds me of paper mache. The ambient music also surprised me by how much I enjoyed it. It is used in many instances to punctuate at certain pivotal moments or sections very well.

Some mechanics like lunging at other animals are rather clunky, and in the case of feeding food to your babies, are somewhat obtuse. I never really knew why I should be feeding food to the babies outside of that first moment. I simply just did for the sake of it. And there didn't seem to be any kind of health system for the babies or even an injured state as far as I know. Maybe I was just living vicariously through the mother badger while wanting to feed her children every so often.

I will stay strong and won't play it until they patched it.

On another note, has anyone bought Dream? Tomorrow is the last day of sale and I'm still not sure, if it's worth playing in its early incomplete build.

Toma

I will stay strong and won't play it until they patched it.

On another note, has anyone bought Dream? Tomorrow is the last day of sale and I'm still not sure, if it's worth playing in its early incomplete build.

I am tempted and might pick it up, the trailer looks fantastic and players in the forum overall seem to like it (with the exception of those having technical issues).

yarden24

hi gaf! if anyone has played Tessallation..

im kinda stuck here! got to the room with the basketball, and im not sure how im supposed to clear it?

So I finally played the Risk of Rain demo, Only learned about it through the latest Greenlit batch. What a fun game. The controls are super tight and the limited number of abilities really add to the tactics and combat. And the stacking pick-ups is brilliant. By the time I died, I had 3x regenerating health, 3x barbed wire shield, exploding attacks, leech, defeating enemies increases health, faster running, 2x chance to shoot missiles, and 3x flaming trail.I felt like a badass but the game was still a challenge. Can't wait to see the other classes.

Toma

So I finally played the Risk of Rain demo, Only learned about it through the latest Greenlit batch. What a fun game. The controls are super tight and the limited number of abilities really add to the tactics and combat. And the stacking pick-ups is brilliant. By the time I died, I had 3x regenerating health, 3x barbed wire shield, exploding attacks, leech, defeating enemies increases health, faster running, 2x chance to shoot missiles, and 3x flaming trail.I felt like a badass but the game was still a challenge. Can't wait to see the other classes.

Yupyup, another one of those games we had fun with before you arrived ;)

flowsnake

The Desura version also seems to be the demo.

Do you just mean you don't like the graphical style of TAW or something deeper?

Nabs

The Desura version also seems to be the demo.

Do you just mean you don't like the graphical style of TAW or something deeper?

I'm not a fan of the art style. The original had so much heart that I just don't see in the remake yet. I would have preferred a pixel-based remake/facelift, but eh. We'll see what happens, I'll still be there on release to play through it again.

CzarTim

Greenlight Collection updated. Start at 'Finding Teddy' for the new games. While you're at it, feel free to give the collection a Thumbs Up so we're higher on the ranking!

I also cleared out the games that were Greenlight recently. So glad to see so many awesome games get approved. Long overdue!

Toma

Hasn't Pid been out for something like a year and received lukewarm reviews? 0_o

It doesnt deserve the lukewarm reviews and because we didnt have a 2012 thread for Indies, and most of these never got all that much attention in individual threads, I decided to throw in a few 2012 games once in a while.

flowsnake

I'm not a fan of the art style. The original had so much heart that I just don't see in the remake yet. I would have preferred a pixel-based remake/facelift, but eh. We'll see what happens, I'll still be there on release to play through it again.

Isn't the whole game different anyway? It's not just a straight remake with "improved" graphics at least.

Decado

It doesnt deserve the lukewarm reviews and because we didnt have a 2012 thread for Indies, and most of these never got all that much attention in individual threads, I decided to throw in a few 2012 games once in a while.

OK. Thanks for clarifying. What about the reviews are wrong? Also, is the co-op any good?

I had considered buying it to play with a friend, but the reviews put me off...

EDIT: Also, any impressions of FORCED or Hammerwatch here? Haven't seen either mentioned, but may have missed them...

Toma

OK. Thanks for clarifying. What about the reviews are wrong? Also, is the co-op any good?

I had considered buying it to play with a friend, but the reviews put me off...

EDIT: Also, any impressions of FORCED or Hammerwatch here? Haven't seen either mentioned, but may have missed them...

No clue what the reviews said, but its a super charming game with an interesting puzzle mechanic. I didnt know it had coop, but the game is one of the 2 games I honestly regret not checking out on launch in 2012 that I added to this thread. The other game is Papo & Yo.

And I kinda advise against buying Hammerwatch, the game feels very bland after 30 minutes because it doesnt add anything to the formula anymore. There just is not any form of progress.

Nabs

Isn't the whole game different anyway? It's not just a straight remake with "improved" graphics at least.

It's a remake with new content (new island/boss/music) and remixed puzzles/boss fights. They are going to put up a pre-order similar to the Starbound one to help fund development. I know I sound down on it, but I'll still be there to pre-order.

Hammerwatch is fairly cool, although you should really only get it if you play on playing it multiplayer. Preferably local or online over Skype. It is a tad repetitive and the solo play really emphasizes that. Although if you can get a team together with all the different classes they feature fairly nice ability synergy and the combat changes from this insane crowd control situations to these grand showdowns between your team of adventures and all the monsters.

Vancha

hi gaf! if anyone has played Tessallation..

im kinda stuck here! got to the room with the basketball, and im not sure how im supposed to clear it?

I assume it is the one with the volleyball net?

You have to record yourself and throw a ball to the other side. Then you rewind time and head to the oposite side and make your clone throw it. You will need to catcH it then.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
One to add to the freshly-released pile, even if it's rather different from the usual suspects:

Hate Plus - $9.99 - PC/Mac/Linux via Steam
iTX4XtMWBAQrR.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239700

Christine Love's latest visual novel and sequel to Analogue: A Hate Story. Peek into the private lives and thoughts of important figures and random people who lived prior to the Year Zero event that happened on the colony ship Mugunghwa. Become a fly on the wall of important bureaucratic meetings, watch lives become crushed by painful traditions and yes, read about the romantic natures of many. Heavily recommended to play Analogue first. Deals with many sensitive areas such as (spoilered in case you want to go in fresh)
homosexuality & the homophobia culture surrounding it, rape and suicide
, so be ready. There's plenty of comedy involved too though, including poking fun at modern gaming conveniences, the limits of the visual novel medium, and cake cake~

Ashodin

Thanks for the new thread Toma!

JVu3pjc.png

The Apexicon has since been passed down through early society, cavemen, and the like, bestowing language and words upon man, so that he may express himself in an easier fashion than gestures and drawings. This book was highly coveted until it was lost in the War of Punctuation. Take up the pen, use your finger to select letters, and find out the mystery behind this lost artifact as you deal damage with the words collected from your imagination. The only limit is what words you see in the letters before you. Delve deep into an RPG system added to addicting puzzle gameplay. Fight, Spell, Play.

My game is getting much farther along, and we will be most likely seeing a demo soon - which means kickstarters and awesomeness!

InkdBbe.png
f50J4aL.jpg

Top Bottom