• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inputmag: Console Wars are over

Jose92

[Membe

The Razer Kishi is proof that the console wars are over. Thanks to Game Pass and xCloud, Microsoft is standing at the precipice of what could be decades of critical and financial success.
How did we get here? Well, even from its inception, the Xbox has always been about the long game. The product line itself only exists because Bill Gates was scared that Sony's PlayStation 2 would herald the company's dominance of consumer's living rooms. Looking back at how the PS2 moved billions of DVDs, he was right to be scared. The Xbox went on to sell its sequel, the Xbox 360, at a loss — just to lock up market share. This paid off when the Xbox 360 became a multimedia powerhouse at the dawn of Netflix and HBO's streaming offerings, which led Microsoft to triple down on the console's media features with the Xbox One. However, that particular venture ended in disaster since, though they may be happy to use them, it ends up consumers didn't buy an Xbox for the media features. People just want to play good games.

Lesson learned. After a painful console generation rebuilding the Xbox brand (rather successfully, if we're honest), Microsoft is going into its war with the PlayStation 5 older, wiser, and with a completely new strategy for the long term. Rather than compete head-on in a match it's already losing, the Xbox brand is flipping the board and playing a new game entirely.

Yes, the Series X is a box you can purchase this fall and place next to your PlayStation 5. But that's not what Microsoft is selling. No, this time the company has its eyes on where gaming is going, not where it is. This time, Microsoft is selling Game Pass.

https%3A%2F%2Fhybrismediaprod.blob.core.windows.net%2Fsys-master-phoenix-images-container%2Fhff%2Fh78%2F9073650073630%2FRazer-Kishi-Xbox-1500x1000-1.png

https://www.razer.com/mobile-controllers/razer-kishi/RZ06-02900200-R3M1

They are not

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
"After a painful console generation rebuilding the Xbox brand (rather successfully, if we're honest), Microsoft is going into its war with the PlayStation 5 older, wiser, and with a completely new strategy for the long term."

They're more confused and less prepared than they've ever been for a console launch.

GamePass is still a great service, make no mistake, but the XSX looks like a total nothing right now thanks to the fucked up Halo, no Forza, etc. Unless somebody is hiding something amazing (now's the time to make it public guys), I would recommend people with GP just stick with their Xbox for the time being, or build a nice PC.

Cloud gaming is very much the future. Xbox being successful at Cloud gaming doesn't make "traditional" gaming dead, its just a different front of the genre. I'm always so fascinated by statement based headlines, why not just make it a question instead? I guess it's being bold. But, many a statements have been made "PC Gaming is dead" "This is the last generation of consoles."

I think we'll definitely see some form of Cloud gaming from Playstation this generation, Xbox is already there. Not everywhere they'd like yet, hi Apple :messenger_waving:, but they're just getting started. Nintendo likely won't get to cloud gaming anytime soon, I give them at least 4-5 years. And there's Stadia, I think Google will make another big push for Stadia. If it doesn't catch on in the next 2 years it may likely disappear.

GamePass is still a great service, make no mistake, but the XSX looks like a total nothing right now thanks to the fucked up Halo, no Forza, etc. Unless somebody is hiding something amazing (now's the time to make it public guys), I would recommend people with GP just stick with their Xbox for the time being, or build a nice PC.
No way to play Medium or Scorn without an updated Xbox. I'd like to play The ascent too so my XSX will get plenty of use. Skip if you want I'm a gamer and am missing nothing.

MrS

Banned
"After a painful console generation rebuilding the Xbox brand (rather successfully, if we're honest), Microsoft is going into its war with the PlayStation 5 older, wiser, and with a completely new strategy for the long term."

They're more confused and less prepared than they've ever been for a console launch.
That quote is so funny. And people accuse Sony of being arrogant?! Jesus christ.

Xbox still haven't learned to undersell and overdeliver, to show and not tell.

interesting, but isn't 5g a mobile thing? How would 5g change existing internet infrastructure? Won't most people still have the same laggy broadband in addition to 5g on mobile?

Ubiqutous 5G means you don't need a broadband home connection anymore. Lag would be close to non-existant and speed would be more than enough to handle even 4K streaming. And you can use it on the go, which is great for cloud gaming on a smartphone.

Redlancet

Banned
after trying xcloud on a excellent 5ghz connection on several phones and tablets,no,the lag its still a big deal

hyperbertha

Ubiqutous 5G means you don't need a broadband home connection anymore. Lag would be close to non-existant and speed would be more than enough to handle even 4K streaming. And you can use it on the go, which is great for cloud gaming on a smartphone.
But who would provide the service? Will all existing broadband companies adopt 5g and install 5g routers?

Kerotan

You gotta hand it to their PR campaign this year turning getting spanked into we've ended the war.

But yes the war is over and Sony will easily sell 100M PS5's with the Series XYZ miles behind.

Striving to be the best isn’t a war, it’s healthy competition for your time and money. Where is the incentive to improve? And it’s getting to a point where that’s a fucking waste of time as if you any question anything you get all this crap said to you by people who come out with shite like “yeah let them ponies have their war”

Fuckin hell , feels like I became a fan of something completely different back then.

T-Cake

Nintendo likely won't get to cloud gaming anytime soon, I give them at least 4-5 years.

I never even thought about them doing it. That would be one company I'd love to have cloud gaming for and be able to stream to a client on PC. I've never been a fan of the Nintendo hardware itself so never played any of their games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

If the Razer Kishi has already conquered the Afghan market, it's going to be a wash in the west, especially since women are allowed to play games here.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, its been what just shy of 14 years since Nintendo said "screw this direct competition lark", and went their own way. Rather than chasing specs and the AAA franchises pushed by third parties, they proved that all that's actually needed were enough self-owned IP to engage the audience, and cheap hardware to play it on.

Blip with the Wii-U aside, they've never looked back. Just sailed their own way basically impervious to what the rest of the industry from PC's to smartphones was doing.

Because in the end if you can offer exclusive games people want to play, you're golden.

I never even thought about them doing it. That would be one company I'd love to have cloud gaming for and be able to stream to a client on PC. I've never been a fan of the Nintendo hardware itself so never played any of their games.
Nintendo would do gang busters, I think.

If cloud gaming becomes the thing and BC is the norm... makes me wonder, if the new "purchasing" wars will come from buying up exclusivity of back catalogs. I'd imagine, a SEGA back catalog would be very appealing. Imagine that tweet, "we are excited to announce that the entire Dreamcast catalog will now be available on xCloud/PScloud/NinCloud(LOL)"

Cloud gaming is very much the future. Xbox being successful at Cloud gaming doesn't make "traditional" gaming dead, its just a different front of the genre. I'm always so fascinated by statement based headlines, why not just make it a question instead? I guess it's being bold. But, many a statements have been made "PC Gaming is dead" "This is the last generation of consoles."

I think we'll definitely see some form of Cloud gaming from Playstation this generation, Xbox is already there. Not everywhere they'd like yet, hi Apple :messenger_waving:, but they're just getting started. Nintendo likely won't get to cloud gaming anytime soon, I give them at least 4-5 years. And there's Stadia, I think Google will make another big push for Stadia. If it doesn't catch on in the next 2 years it may likely disappear.
Yeah the console wars are over...let the Cloud Wars begin😉

diffusionx

Gold Member
Razer stuff is garbage and cloud gaming is not serious. It's a nice novelty, but it cannot beat the laws of physics.

No way to play Medium or Scorn without an updated Xbox. I'd like to play The ascent too so my XSX will get plenty of use. Skip if you want I'm a gamer and am missing nothing.

If that really is all XSX has, then yea, the XSX really is screwed. But keep consooming if you must.

Last edited:

protonion

I'm so sick of articles like this.

Still remember articles 10+ years ago about the future of motion controlled gaming and how traditional gaming is on its way out.
Google them for the hilarity.

You know NOTHING.

As for Microsoft...
They are about to take the L for 4 gens in row and they talk like they have figured it all out.

Ps4 will go beyond 130 million sales. Switch will probably follow. And you do not hear a peep.

:messenger_clapping:SHUT :messenger_clapping:THE:messenger_clapping: FUCK:messenger_clapping: UP.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cloud gaming is going to be the next digital gaming, sooner or later most people will switch to it.

Bryank75

Banned
When will they ever figure out console gaming is an enthusiast / niche market, that is a war not over a mass-market but 200-350 million customers within which there are many 'whales'..... people who spend hundreds of times the amount of any mobile or most other gamers....

People like me have no interest in cloud or subscribing, it's not an option I consider.

Top Bottom