• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inputmag: Console Wars are over

JonnyMP3

Sweet makes my job so much easier

tumblr_nf5rmlAzB71qh59n0o1_500.gif

There won't be Cloud Wars like there is Console Wars. That'd be way stupid.

When Gamers hear about the Cloud War...

Sleepwalker

Omg the war has been over forever...we’ve been fighting all this time...for nothing?

Yes. It's been over forever. They just pretend they are at war to print money as gamers all over the world lose the plot in online forums and social media.

Last edited:

DjMystix

Funny. I bought Razer Kishi on day one because I am a huge fan of remote play.... PS4 remote play that is :) I have been on xCloud beta for a while and really enjoy it but I don't think this remote play capability is going to decide who wins (I don't care personally, I just want great games on all platforms).

Having said that, I prefer not to use this device unless I'm travelling OR sitting in parts of my house that doesn't allow me to remote play via a TV. All of my TVs in the house are paired with an Android TV Device and Remote play apps (Steam for PC, OneCast for XBOX, PStreamer for PS4). The reason I use third party apps for xbox and ps4 is because they allow you to remap controller buttons (very important for PS4 because you absolutely want to remap the left option button to TOUCHPAD).

But yes, this is absolutely the best way to remote play using a mobile device. I've been through several controllers and this really has no competition. The second best also Razer Mobile but it starts to hurt your wrists if you hold it for too long.
rqKwpFC.png

Ps83Csb.png

XFPNEXw.png

Last edited:
Console gaming is going to split in two directions within the lifetime of the next gen.

VR will become the new niche way to play, aimed at the enthusiast, with the aim of streaming content to your box and or headset, with the cobsole still playing 'flat' games but with the emphasis on VR. This will include VR BC, VR films, VR games and more. This is the direction Sony will head in.

The other is mobile gaming. Something on the move for the wider audience. This will be backed up by streaming services such as Netflix. The handheld gaming device will be an all in one entertainment box akin to Microsofts Xbox One original idea. With how popular facetime like apps are becoming, phone calls are quickly becoming a thing of the past, expect at least one large company to announce a data only package - no texts or calls- that is very competitive. Microsoft will still use their console to play 'flat' games and may even dabble in the VR arena through third party, but their priority will be a handheld, all in one media device.

The console wars are over because each company will aim for their own niche; Nintendo with their 'fun' family games, liked by their audience, Sony with enthusiasts through single player games and VR, and Microsoft will go for the wider audience with 3rd parties, MP, free online and streaming/cloud services on the go.

Quasicat

For me, it needs to come to PCs. Perhaps they could even run it through the Edge browser or the existing Xbox app. I stream my Xbox quite a bit when others want to use the TV. Even over WiFi, it streams perfectly. Since the iPhone is not really an option, I would love to stream Xcloud to my work PC.

recursive

Cloud gaming is very much the future. Xbox being successful at Cloud gaming doesn't make "traditional" gaming dead, its just a different front of the genre. I'm always so fascinated by statement based headlines, why not just make it a question instead? I guess it's being bold. But, many a statements have been made "PC Gaming is dead" "This is the last generation of consoles."

I think we'll definitely see some form of Cloud gaming from Playstation this generation, Xbox is already there. Not everywhere they'd like yet, hi Apple :messenger_waving:, but they're just getting started. Nintendo likely won't get to cloud gaming anytime soon, I give them at least 4-5 years. And there's Stadia, I think Google will make another big push for Stadia. If it doesn't catch on in the next 2 years it may likely disappear.
I don't think you know what your are talking about. MS has no released cloud gaming service yet therefore they have no proven success. PSnow has been in action for years.

I don't think you know what your are talking about. MS has no released cloud gaming service yet therefore they have no proven success. PSnow has been in action for years.
Do you mean about xCloud? XCloud has been in beta for awhile now. We have people in here who have used XCloud and say it's pretty damn good and playable. Microsoft has one of the biggest "clouds" in the world. It's a really good service/system. So, Xbox is positioned very nicely. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

We have people in here who have used PSNow who say it's terrible at cloud gaming. PSNow has not proved to be a "success" either. It's been out for years and yet it has that low of a sub number. They need to fix the cloud gaming portion of PSNow. They've taken steps toward it, by possibly penning up a deal with Microsoft to use their cloud.

recursive

Do you mean about xCloud? XCloud has been in beta for awhile now. We have people in here who have used XCloud and say it's pretty damn good and playable. Microsoft has one of the biggest "clouds" in the world. It's a really good service/system. So, Xbox is positioned very nicely. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

We have people in here who have used PSNow who say it's terrible at cloud gaming. PSNow has not proved to be a "success" either. It's been out for years and yet it has that low of a sub number. They need to fix the cloud gaming portion of PSNow. They've taken steps toward it, by possibly penning up a deal with Microsoft to use their cloud.
Your original post was misleading and incorrect.

XCloud is not released to the public yet and there is no measurement for success yet. Heard lots of great things and people with high expectations prior to stadia release and look how that went.

Your original post was misleading and incorrect.

XCloud is not released to the public yet and there is no measurement for success yet. Heard lots of great things and people with high expectations prior to stadia release and look how that went.
If you were misled, that wasn't what I was try to do. Xcloud has been in beta for awhile and like I said, people who have tried it said it pretty damn good. They're release next month, thats pretty damn close.

Top Bottom