• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

Eteric Rice

KTallguy said:
Tell you what. List all the Xbox 360 exclusives that demonstrate a diverse lineup, and then list all the PS3 exclusives.

I still believe that like the PS1 and PS2 before it, PS3 will have a large roster of games that cater to the "every-demographic" more so than Xbox 360 and Wii.

To bad it's price point doesn't cater to "every-demographic." If I were making a normal, non-cinimatic looking game, it definately wouldn't be on the PS3.

fse

Eteric Rice said:
To bad it's price point doesn't cater to "every-demographic." If I were making a normal, non-cinimatic looking game, it definately wouldn't be on the PS3.

wait a couple years :eek:
:lol

Smokey

KTallguy said:
So do you care about movie content or not?

I personally don't care about movies, but the fact that you can DL them from Live is a plus

How about you tell me from that statement..it's really not hard to grasp.

It's just like the Lexus that can parallel park itself. I personally wouldn't care for it or probably use it more than once, but it IS nice to have such a feature.

What is so hard to grasp about this?

Does it even matter? XBL offers it and SONY(which owns a freakin' movie studio) does not. My point being on XBL you can do more than just play against other people. The entire service is much more than that.

f_elz said:
What people forget is that its not always whats in the pipeline 2-3 years from now that will make the system the best one to get, its whats here now. A lot of systems in the 90s were doing not that great, but yet people said wait for this or that. It means nothing if you aren't doing good at sales or don't have the games from the beggining.
meh, PS3's been out for like 4 months, lets wait until this time next year to call it dead. Its got a shitload of great games that look to showcase its power coming out in the fall.

LuCkymoON

Banned
KTallguy said:
Tell you what. List all the Xbox 360 exclusives that demonstrate a diverse lineup, and then list all the PS3 exclusives.

I still believe that like the PS1 and PS2 before it, PS3 will have a large roster of games that cater to the "every-demographic" more so than Xbox 360 and Wii.

if the PS3 doesn't get the same exclusive support from the 3rd parties it will not have the same diversity as it's predecessors. Right now, it does not have the exclusive support of 3rd parties that made PS1 and PS2 a big success.

KTallguy

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

That's absolutely true, which means that obviously the price needs to come down. But by the time it's down, a lot of those games will be available for people. If Sony can't get the price down soon, they're toast really, both with hardcores and casuals, as 3rd Parties won't embrace the system enough, as stated.

My point is, if you look at the lineups of exclusive games for Xbox 360 and PS3, the PS3 has a lot more diversity. Even for hardcore folks.

Name another game like Warhawk for 360.
Name another game like Lair.
Name another game like MGS4.
Name another game like R&C.

Linkup

Goodness these threads are the worse. Sure I read them, but I usually don't post in them. I'll just say that the Wii hasn't proven much to the gamer and it may never at this rate.

chriskzoo

Banned
Linkup said:
Goodness these threads are the worse. Sure I read them, but I usually don't post in them. I'll just say that the Wii hasn't proven much to the gamer and it may never at this rate.

Who is is letting you grind meat?

jaypah

Totaly unprovoked by Sony, this man has come to spread the word! but seriously, he makes some good points that any given poster on any given message board could have produced. in fact, i see most of his points on a daily basis but with the added flavor of "suxxxorz" and humorous .gif images. "Sony helps guy to get paid and in return guy likes Sony?" well no shit. if i was making kick ass games for the console leader 2 gens running i'd shine boots too. there's a little stench of 'Xbox this' and 'Wii that' though. like....i understand where he's coming from but he goes a bit far considering he's not really unbiased and he *basically* works for Sony. i am pretty interested in his claim that in 2 years time we'll see games that simply can not be done on 360. those are bold words (so i bolded them, lol), and it comes off like, "360 doesn't have the disc space or the CPU to f*ck with Sony. Ante up, bitches!". and as a gamer i would love to one day play that game.

all in all a decent read by a guy working closely with Sony.

birdchili

J-Rzez said:
And he's absolutely correct on saying WTF to the people trying to spin Home as a bad thing, when it's free to use, and you DON'T even HAVE to use it...

sure, but it's a *huge* software and infrastructure project. if you don't find the idea compelling you'd probably prefer that sony put together something a bit more *game* related.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
KTallguy said:
That's absolutely true, which means that obviously the price needs to come down. But by the time it's down, a lot of those games will be available for people. If Sony can't get the price down soon, they're toast really, both with hardcores and casuals, as 3rd Parties won't embrace the system enough, as stated.

My point is, if you look at the lineups of exclusive games for Xbox 360 and PS3, the PS3 has a lot more diversity. Even for hardcore folks.

Sorry, just thought it funny that having two games based on the premise of flying and being in a battle shows two "diverse" games.

Then you say, name another game like MGS4. Lol, ok splinter cell.
Flying game, hmmmmm......Ace combat, takes care of warhawk and lair right? I mean, they're all flying.
R&C is really just a third person shooter, is it not?

Anyone can twist a games list around just like everyone still says the 360 only has shooters and racers, while ignoring the only games selling worth a d@mn on PS3 are: A shooter and a racer!

KTallguy said:

1 and 2) Ace Combat 6 or Silpheed?
3) Splinter Cell 5?
4) Banjo Kazooie 3?

Name another game like Mass Effect for PS3.
Name another game like Bioshock.
Name another game like Viva Pinata.

You're really trying to claim that the PS3 has a more diverse lineup than the 360? You're crazy.

xaosslug

the reaction in this thread by a great many, to Brian Hastings' words, can be summed up with one GIF...

=

33kq9vk.gif

:lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I really think BD is good for gaming, for huge vast worlds. I'd like to see an amazingly huge mmorpg from Blizzard with the keyboard+mouse controls. But since the games being put out now aren't any better or longer than the 360, BD isn't that important, for now I guess.

If the cell + rsx can make some amazing games, I better see it in MGS, killzone, and FF13, cause I'm still holding on to that hype. And it better be soon because I'm fixing to get p*ed off and not care anymore and switch to PC gaming.

And the Wii will continue to have more and more innovative games that keep them rolling. Yea, if the Wii Party only had Wii sports, then... the scenario would play out.

KTallguy

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Anyone can twist a games list around just like everyone still says the 360 only has shooters and racers, while ignoring the only games selling worth a d@mn on PS3 are: A shooter and a racer!

Sure, Motorstorm is a racing game. That allows you to race bikes, trucks, buggies, cars, etc. all at once, with crazy physics and online play. Name a 360 game that does that.

Resistance is unique with it's weapons, levels, and 40 players online in a game at once, but I'll concede that it's not unique.

Again, right now there aren't that many games available for the system. But, there are many more diverse games for the PS3 on the horizon compared to the 360.

Linkup

chriskzoo said:
Who is is letting you grind meat?

I should have said I read until it turns into a fanboyfest and then I bail out. If they didn't turn into such threads I would welcome the discussion, but there isn't much worth discussing here in the first place.

Eteric Rice

KTallguy said:

Problem, Wii is cheap "now." People can buy Wii "now." A year is a long time to wait for the big games to come out, much less a price drop.

LuCkymoON

Banned
KTallguy said:

What the hell? is the PS3 price drop gonna happen in a vaccum? the Wii and 360 will still be cheaper and the 360 will atleast still have more games. (head start and all)

LJ11

squatingyeti said:
Sorry, just thought it funny that having two games based on the premise of flying and being in a battle shows two "diverse" games.

Now that's funny. That sounded just like the guys who level criticisms at MS for not diversifying their lineup, because "every game has a gun and you use it to shoot people/aliens/zombies/monsters."

Warhawk and Lair are worlds apart IMO.

KTallguy said:
Sure, Motorstorm is a racing game. That allows you to race bikes, trucks, buggies, cars, etc. all at once, with crazy physics and online play. Name a 360 game that does that.

Resistance is unique with it's weapons, levels, and 40 players online in a game at once, but I'll concede that it's not unique.

Again, right now there aren't that many games available for the system. But, there are many more diverse games for the PS3 on the horizon compared to the 360.

Great. Mass Effect is an RPG that lets you fly around the galaxy to tons of different planets, with crazy NPC interaction and multiple character classes. Name a PS3 game that does that.

Bioshock is unique with its setting, abilities and emphasis on horror, but I'll concede that it's not that unique.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Nostromo said:
Very far from the truth, to fully use edram on Xenos you really don't need to be a rocket scientist, except AA maybe, all the other advantages edram brings to the tables don't need any special 'care' to be fully used. (for example huge fill rate in simple render passes such as shadow maps rendering, z pre passes, particles effects)

And you could fully use the cell by writing bad code, but that doesn't make it the best. My point is simply to say the cell is more underutilized than Xenos is stupid. They're BOTH underutilized. They'll be advances in BOTH. Potential means nothing if it is never remotely realized. People are still grasping how games could be properly coded for Xenos, just as they are the Cell.

Norse

the fact the guy makes games only for console B has no effect on him saying console B is better. Come on now..he makes all his income from console B.

arne

I think back on page 3 or something I said list wars! I'm glad to see it come to fruition. Thanks guys!!! :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Bioshock is unique with its setting, abilities and emphasis on horror, but I'll concede that it's not that unique.

Bioshock is on PC. I don't know what to make of it yet really, but it certainly looks nice.

Green Shinobi said:
Mass Effect is an RPG that lets you fly around the galaxy to tons of different planets, with crazy NPC interaction and multiple character classes. Name a PS3 game that does that.

Mass Effect will probably be on PC, judging by Bioware's history. But yes, this is a game that's unique to the Xbox 360 for now. I'm curious about Bioware's unannounced PS3 game though.

Viva Pinata is the only game that you really can't find anywhere else. And it's a stellar game.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
LJ11 said:
Now that's funny. That sounded just like the guys who level criticisms at MS for not diversifying their lineup, because "every game has a gun and you use it to shoot people/aliens/zombies/monsters."

Warhawk and Lair are worlds apart IMO.

My point exactly. Maybe didn't come out right over the interwebs, but I'm simply saying that guy is an idiot trying to say one is more diverse than the other at this point.

KTallguy said:
Bioshock is on PC. I don't know what to make of it yet really, but it certainly looks nice.

Mass Effect will probably be on PC, judging by Bioware's history. But yes, this is a game that's unique to the Xbox 360 for now. I'm curious about Bioware's unannounced PS3 game though.

Viva Pinata is the only game that you really can't find anywhere else. And it's a stellar game.

Great if you have a PC that plays these games.

I still say you're crazy if you think the PS3's library will be more diverse than the 360's at the end of 2007, let alone more robust.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Actually, if anyone wants to be an arse, we could all say the Wii has the absolute most diverse games. Minigames of sports where I use the controller's movements to make my actions on screen. A freaking COOKING game. Wario. I mean come on. You're being a tool ktall.

arne

KTallguy said:

:lol at bringing in the PC and potential PC versions here. Last I heard, Halo 2 PC didn't cannibalize Halo 2 sales. I could be wrong though.

PleoMax

Banned
KTallguy said:

Look Pc doesn't really come into play. Because the PC market has 0 effect on the 360. So the PC really isn't called into the equation...and i would eat my hat if the "unnanounced" Ps3 Bioware game wasn't also a 360/Pc game.

But again..."is on Pc", so?

KTallguy

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

I do, actually :) I'm curious about how many Xbox 360 owners also own powerful PCs.

Green Shinobi said:
I still say you're crazy if you think the PS3's library will be more diverse than the 360's at the end of 2007, let alone more robust.

PS3 is only in its first year. There's gonna be Little Big Planet, Home, and other unannounced stuff too you know. Home is going to basically be like Live Arcade, where you can play indie games on arcade machines right?

PS and PS2 were really diverse platforms, that's all I'm saying. Xbox 1 wasn't very diverse, and after 1 year and 4 short months, 360 only has a few stand out titles you can't get anywhere else.

That's all I'm sayin'. :)

squatingyeti said:
Actually, if anyone wants to be an arse, we could all say the Wii has the absolute most diverse games. Minigames of sports where I use the controller's movements to make my actions on screen. A freaking COOKING game. Wario. I mean come on. You're being a tool ktall.

Wii's games slant towards the younger spectrum in general. There are a couple exceptions (Manhunt 2), but you can't claim that their lineup is diverse for all ages and tastes.

Sorry that you think I'm a tool, but this is really what I think.

arne

KTallguy said:
I do, actually :) I'm curious about how many Xbox 360 owners also own powerful PCs.

PS3 is only in its first year. There's gonna be Little Big Planet, Home, and other unannounced stuff too you know. Home is going to basically be like Live Arcade, where you can play indie games on arcade machines right?

PS and PS2 were really diverse platforms, that's all I'm saying. Xbox 1 wasn't very diverse, and after 2 years, 360 only has a few stand out titles you can't get anywhere else.

2 years? Try just over 1 year. 1 year and 4 months if you want to be technical.

Eteric Rice

KTallguy said:

PS and PS2 were really diverse platforms, that's all I'm saying. Xbox 1 wasn't very diverse, and after 2 years, 360 only has a few stand out titles you can't get anywhere else.

MS and Nintendo probably has a lot of un-announced stuff too, ya know.

It's almost like people think MS and Nintendo will just stand there while Sony kicks them in the balls.

Eteric Rice said:

It's almost like people think MS and Nintendo will just stand there while Sony kicks them in the balls.

QFT

also I can't believe this thread is almost 500 posts. wowzar

KTallguy

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

Yep, that's true. Everyone's heavy hitters are probably just warming up in the bullpen now.

It's gonna be a great year for gaming!! :)

LuCkymoON

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

nah man; I heard that MS and Ninty arent gonna bring out anything else after sony announced Home and Little Big Planet.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Sounds like a thread I posted a while back.

I could not agree more with the openning paragraph. One of the main reasons for SDF =)

Anyway doesn't matter what anyone says. Claiming any system victorious causes defense mechanism from fanboys around the world to turn on. Doesnt matter if it's your opinion, those in denial will just come on here and say "This guy is stupid...." or "<sarcasm joke enter here>"

We now conclude you to our regular GAF gamers bashing what they don't agree with.

Green Shinobi said:

Uncharted, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, MGS4=pretty diverse

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Norse said:
the fact the guy makes games only for console B has no effect on him saying console B is better. Come on now..he makes all his income from console B.

He is just saying that he believes the PS3 is the console to beat. Mark Rein said the same thing and guess what he's from Epic, you know the guys that made Gears of War.

KTallguy

Banned
TheProfessor said:
He is just saying that he believes the PS3 is the console to beat. Mark Rein said the same thing and guess what he's from Epic, you know the guys that made Gears of War.

Wow, he said that !! They must be making GeoW2 for the PS3 as we speak! :lol

And at 500 posts, I'm spent.

CassidyIzABeast said:
Uncharted, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, MGS4=pretty diverse
Banjo 3, Ace Combat 6, Too Human, Halo 3, Forza 2 = pretty diverse.

See how easy this is? Why do people think the 360's library = the Xbox's library? It's like talking to people who think the Detroit Tigers are still a joke of a team!

Green Shinobi said:
Banjo 3, Ace Combat 6, Too Human, Halo 3, Forza 2 = pretty diverse.

See how easy this is? Why do people think the 360's library = the Xbox's library? It's like talking to people who think the Detroit Tigers are still a joke of a team!
blah

Top Bottom