• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushsquare, “Reaction: PS5 Livestreams Are No Longer Speaking to the Fans Who Built the Brand”

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No it isn't clickbait, everything in it was true. They have brushed single player AAA experiences to the side in favor of GAAS trash. Its pretty obvious. Finally an article calls it out instead of pussyfooting their way around the bush

When you don't even know it's clickbait..
GOT DAMN!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sony is catering to both audiences though.
No they aren't.

They haven't announced a Single Player AAA narrative driven game since 2021.

Theyve announced a dozen GAAS games since then, and released a few, and are on the verge of releasing more this year.

Not a single AAA SP game announcement in that time.

Thats what the article is saying

Last edited:
PS5 is having a dryer year than normal while still putting out some serious bangers to carry over to when we'll see more of the single player games people are waiting for. It's even more eye rolling when you remember the PS4 era had people whining about all their open-world narrative driven games were too samey. Just a bunch of entitled nonsense.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The casuals do.

The God of Wars, the Uncharted's, etc, are what gave Sony the reputation they earned.

edit: you and I have complete opposite tastes in gaming - we will never agree . lmao

I think the only person more on the opposite spectrum of what they like is Danjin44 Danjin44

There's no such things as "casuals vs core gamers" to these big companies.

All they see is who's playing what and which games are generating the most money.

They did all that and have come to the OBVIOUS conclusion that PlayStation gamers want GAAS.

We don't need to have the same tastes in gaming to understand basic business truths.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Younger generation aren't interested in games and a lot are turning to retro or games from 20/15 years ago as they believe they are better.
The older generations want games back to how they were 20/15 years ago saying the industry has lost its way and isn't aimed at them.
Sony is trying to appeal to the new generation whilst turning off the generation but don't seem to be getting results with the new generation.
What are they doing wrong 🤔

Last edited:
PS5 is having a dryer year than normal while still putting out some serious bangers to carry over to when we'll see more of the single player games people are waiting for. It's even more eye rolling when you remember the PS4 era had people whining about all their open-world narrative driven games were too samey. Just a bunch of entitled nonsense.

Since the Kutaragi and Kaz days ended, Sony first party studios have the tendency to find a formula that makes money, and then they fixate on it to the detriment of other types of experiences. First was movie-esque narrative games, then they chased open world, and now they are chasing GAAS. I don't think it's outlandish for fans to voice criticisms.

It's pretty clear Sony has made a large shift, and it's been publicly confirmed by their management team. That said, I don't think the sky is falling - it's clear there are games of other types and scales being created, we are getting Astro Bot. At some point we'll see something new from Housemarque. But people are getting upset because it's been a while since a new single AAA single player was announced (ones in recent memory have been cross-gen) and they know how long it takes to make. Third parties have been carrying the PS5 thus far, and because more third parties have been doing multiplatform releases, people are wondering "why do I have a PS5?" and relying on Sony even more.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think the only person more on the opposite spectrum of what they like is Danjin44 Danjin44
giphy.gif

Monkfish877

Yup, It's exactly how I feel, I hope Sony crashes and burns, but with the success of Helldivers it's making it look unlikely.

El Muerto

We went from having fun quirky games, new ips, solid indies, and single player experiences to remakes, reboots, and gaas. I'm not a big Nintendo fan like was during the NES/SNES days, but they have figured it out. Just offer fun games, some nostalgic, some new.

twilo99

That may be true, but the thing is Gen Z and Gen Alpha, don't really like home consoles, they're on their phones mostly, on social media, but if they do end up gaming on an other device it's most likely a Switch or a PC. The people that still actually buy PlayStation console games are Gen X and Millennials, they're also the people with the most purchasing power, so really if Sony wants money that's who they should continue to cater to and not to people who will mostly never care about their products.

Correct.

Sony are probably preparing for the transition, I just don't know how that looks like. I would bet on a handheld becuse both z and alpha will probably much prefer to buy that than a big plastic box.

NEbeast

This article is spot on. I've been saying this for almost 2 years this is NOT the same Sony that used to exist. Gone are the actual next gen games that pushed the hardware, replaced with greedy and safe Sony focusing on Cross gen, gaas, and PC....the focus is on everything but taking advantage of the PS5's hardware.

Sony can't even do remasters right this gen, instead doing ports to ps5 and lying about them being upgrades...that's pathetic- remasters used to actually improve graphics and resolution.

Sony is also getting lapped by the likes of Ubisoft and Ninja Theory when it comes to graphics ...imagine that
Cry Mocking GIF by First We Feast

Killjoy-NL

No they aren't.

They haven't announced a Single Player AAA narrative driven game since 2021.

Theyve announced a dozen GAAS games since then, and released a few, and are on the verge of releasing more this year.

Not a single AAA SP game announcement in that time.

Thats what the article is saying

So far they released, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon FW, Spiderman MM, Returnal, Spiderman 2, Demon's Souls Remake, TLOU part 1 remake, TLOU part 2 remaster, God of War Ragnarök, Horizon COTM, GT7, Astro's Playroom, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade.

For mp they released GT7, HD2, Firewall and Destruction All Stars.

Factions got cancelled, Concord and Marathon got announced.

Probably missed 1 or 2 for both sp and mp, but it's very lopsided in favor of sp. (Put GT7 in both categories)

ND, GG and SSM are working on new titles, but they're not ready to be announced yet. And there's more in the pipeline with other studios.
We all know it.

So no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

tmlDan

When's pushsquare being shut down? weren't they acquired by IGN? or am i wrong.

This is prob one of the worst news publications in existence.

Am i not a PS fan then? i liked some of the games......also, this isn't a showcase.

Last edited:
There's no such things as "casuals vs core gamers" to these big companies.

All they see is who's playing what and which games are generating the most money.

They did all that and have come to the OBVIOUS conclusion that PlayStation gamers want GAAS.

We don't need to have the same tastes in gaming to understand basic business truths.

Maybe that's why most of these companies keep making the same mistakes?

There absolutely is a difference in playing habits & spending behavior between high-ARPU hardcore & core gamers, general hardcore & core gamers, casuals, and mainstream gamers. Just like how these companies have different types of investors, they have different types of customers in their product ecosystems.

If you as a company don't understand that, you deserve the consequences of what happen thereafter.

It almost seems like the crowd here who focuses on sales is cheering themselves out of the games they used to like in favor of ultimate success, while at the cost of their own hobby in the process.

Oooooh yeah, there are definitely at least a couple of people I could mention who do that regularly, right here on this forum 😁.

Sony has sucked this gen.
MS has sucked this gen.

Per usual, Nintendo is the exception, even if their games lately are mostly remasters and remakes.

Third parties have mostly been saving this gen, especially smaller studios/indies.

MikeM

It almost seems like the crowd here who focuses on sales is cheering themselves out of the games they used to like in favor of ultimate success, while at the cost of their own hobby in the process.
Where people spend money is what people want. People don’t look at something and be like “I hate this. Here is my credit card.”

I agree that we need more variety. But if the ROI is better elsewhere, why spend the money there?

Isn't Helldivers 2 one of the biggest successes this year on both PS5 and PC?
Dunno, I don't play those kinds of games any more.
Where people spend money is what people want. People don’t look at something and be like “I hate this. Here is my credit card.”

I agree that we need more variety. But if the ROI is better elsewhere, why spend the money there?
It just means they're going to cater to a new generation of gamers who don't know things used to better and have more value, while leaving us old fogies behind.

Last edited:
Gen x and millennials “built” the brand but Sony needs to move on…
Why? We have the money, we buy games unlike Gen z who rents, does "gamepass" or live service f2p bs. Sorry but without us they don't have a business. Gen z cares less about characters and franchises as they grew up with crap throw away garbage shows and movies. They have nothing nostalgic to look back on. Their toys are shows were all shit made to cater to everyone by catering to no one.

There is a reason they can play shitty saints row reboot and Redfall, yet Gen x and older millennials won't touch that. They grew up with Steven universe and shit Disney.

We have the money, Gen z doesn't buy games only social cosmetics. So yeah I guess if Sony only wants woke gaas games court those people but only a few games as they can't play all of them. A few gaas games won't sustain a console sorry it just won't. Anyone who thinks they can ditch single player will loose millions of older gamers. I know I will ditch them if they did.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What do you want content-wise then? Honest question?
For my taste more quirky Japanese first party games like they used to in PS2 and PS3 era.

I’m super happy that at least I’m getting one this year with Astro Bot but I want to see more these type of games instead of GaaS and Marvel games…..in truth I completely lost interest in most of Sony’s first party western games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Heaven forbid you don't announce everything all at once as if there's no other time in the year to do the same thing over and over. There's other shows whether it's their own or some gamefest thing.

I'm not sure because I've been critical of the same thing as I've not been buying a lot of PlayStation games the last couple years myself. But I see they have world class studios and they have quite a reasonable variety of things that aren't just cookie cutter.

What audience are they talking about because the sales don't dictate that and they have this variety that honestly I haven't seen since the PlayStation 3 days.

This run of games they have right now is really weird considering the media reports things like some politics that are false and you have more variety of games that we haven't had in a while. And that's missing their biggest IPS and new titles. What the hell do you people want. I'm not even the one buying these and can objectively analyze this.

Go eat some cheeseburgers drink beer slap the old lady's ass once in awhile

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Maybe that's why most of these companies keep making the same mistakes?
What mistakes are they making? They're one of the most successful companies in the history of videogames.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F331f6809-fc4d-4e8c-99dc-5cf93d7e0d10_1280x657.jpeg

They actually seem to be doing something right.
There absolutely is a difference in playing habits & spending behavior between high-ARPU hardcore & core gamers, general hardcore & core gamers, casuals, and mainstream gamers. Just like how these companies have different types of investors, they have different types of customers in their product ecosystems.
PlayStation isn't concerned with your labels. They aren't clouded by personal preferences when it comes to creating games. All they do is look at the data in a cold, calculating way and come to the OBVIOUS conclusion that their audience prefers GAAS. That much is obvious for any impartial observer to see. You don't have to have access to PlayStations analytics to see that.
If you as a company don't understand that, you deserve the consequences of what happen thereafter.
Refer to the chart above. I think it's safe to say that PlayStation understands gamers and the videogame medium. Shocking right?

Why? We have the money, we buy games unlike Gen z who rents, does "gamepass" or live service f2p bs. Sorry but without us they don't have a business. Gen z cares less about characters and franchises as they grew up with crap throw away garbage shows and movies. They have nothing nostalgic to look back on. Their toys are shows were all shit made to cater to everyone by catering to no one.

There is a reason they can play shitty saints row reboot and Redfall, yet Gen x and older millennials won't touch that. They grew up with Steven universe and shit Disney.

We have the money, Gen z doesn't buy games only social cosmetics. So yeah I guess if Sony only wants woke gaas games court those people but only a few games as they can't play all of them. A few gaas games won't sustain a console sorry it just won't. Anyone who thinks they can ditch single player will loose millions of older gamers. I know I will ditch them if they did.
That's a damn good point. Gen Z don't have any money or assets like we do, so if gaming just drops us and focuses on them, they'll inherit a base of people that can't afford them. l-o-fucking-l.

tmlDan

Sony's top studios haven't even released a proper current-gen title yet.
I actually agree and its kinda sad, I don't see insomniac as a studio that takes things to the next level like ND or SSM do, hell, even GG.

I'm willing to stay patient but i am so damn curious to see what they are cooking.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah. I defended Sony when they were being mocked and derided by mainstream fans because they didnt have Bioshock, Halo, Gears and Mass Effect. Even in 2007, i knew that heavenly sword, motorstorm, uncharted, warhawk and ratchet were games made for me by creators and a publishers who wanted to push the medium forward.

17 years later, i see a sony who couldnt give two shits about those games. Who couldnt care less about giving their loyal fans what they want. what made them such a success in the first place. It's not a betrayal because this is just video games, but it's bullshit regardless.

MS chased TV TV TV. Sony chases PC PC PC and GaaS GaaS GaaS. And profits. Oh boy do they love their profits. For years now, they told us inflation, pandemic, shortages were killing them and they increased the PS5 price for the first time in history. They increased game prices to $70. Increased PS+ to $85. Then we find out PS5 is already the most profitable PS console 3.5 years into its life cycle. This is classic MS behavior. Profits over developers. Profits over loyal fanbase. Profits over games.

Radical_3d

Spider Man 2?
I think people refers more to a good game than a technical marvel. Narcoleptics simulators doesn’t count. I can’t think of a good game I’ve played this generation that wasn’t a cross gen release. Which is the sign of the times, I guess, but it’s sad how the first have dropped the ball and we are at the expense of Capcom and Bandai.

For my taste more quirky Japanese first party games like they used to in PS2 and PS3 era.

I’m super happy that at least I’m getting one this year with Astro Bot but I want to see more these type of games instead of GaaS and Marvel games…..in truth I completely lost interest in most of Sony’s first party western games.
*high five*

Last edited:
Please list all the great Sony first party games of the PS3 era that didn't have MP. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only multi game first party franchise that didn't have some type of MP from Sony was Infamous.
Just because a game had multiplayer doesn't mean that was the whole focus. Unlike cod games like resistance and Killzone had long campaigns that were worth playing. Uncharted didn't have multiplayer until uc2, heavenly sword, heavy rain, puppeteer, infamous 1 and 2, Tokyo jungle, folk lore, no multiplayer. Name games today that have long single player games with also having multiplayer that isn't gaas?

Now ps3 did have some great multiplayer but it was traditional ie no cosmetics. Warhawk, star hawk, mag, socom, resistance 2 with 64 players. I enjoyed all that back then, but today I don't want gaas multiplayer. I don't want to see some thot Minaj and weed camo in a war game. So no buy from me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The last State Of Play was dominated by Asian developed titles, but people are still unhappy!

I mean Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors, Infinity Nikki, Ballad Of Antara, Where Winds Meet, and of course Silent Hill 2 which is a remake of a Japanese game. That show was dominated by Asian product.

Not trying to be difficult or controversial, but I don't see the "problem" being a shortage of quirky Japanese games. I think its a simple case of people not understanding how much time and commitment it takes to make modern games. And now that Sony have stopped trailering stuff heavily years out from release, their first-party schedule its going to end up stretched out with lots of third-party offerings.

Top Bottom