• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

Eteric Rice

TheProfessor said:
He is just saying that he believes the PS3 is the console to beat. Mark Rein said the same thing and guess what he's from Epic, you know the guys that made Gears of War.

Though GoW is a good game, it's not that good. All those awards must have pumped the hell out of his ego.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Green Shinobi said:
Banjo 3, Ace Combat 6, Too Human, Halo 3, Forza 2 = pretty diverse.

See how easy this is? Why do people think the 360's library = the Xbox's library? It's like talking to people who think the Detroit Tigers are still a joke of a team!

They're a joke to the Cardinals amirite!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
TheProfessor said:
He is just saying that he believes the PS3 is the console to beat. Mark Rein said the same thing and guess what he's from Epic, you know the guys that made Gears of War.

And way to bring up something we went well through in another thread. Of course it's the one to beat, it was the champion last gen and this gen has just started. Doesn't give ANY indication that they're going to win, that they're performing well now, or that they'll even be close. They MUST be the one to beat as they have yet to lose. The Cardinals are "the one to beat" in Baseball, but that doesn't mean crap. It gives no indication of how their season will turn out or if they'll even win 50 games. It's a FIGURE OF SPEECH.

Mark Rein also said they would need BD for UT3!!!! OOPS!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
LOL i love how Ace Combat is now a bastion of xbox 360 awesomeness.
I seriously wonder how many xbox fans had even heard of the game before last week.

captive said:
I seriously wonder how many xbox fans had even heard of the game before last week.
Well, everyone who had a PS2 last gen and a 360 this gen should have heard of it, right?

So that's at least 2-3 million right there.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay. Cool. I'm so glad I read this. It's good to know that the PS3 is better in almost every way compared to the 360 and the Wii.

I am going to sell my 360, because clearly, the PS3 is better in every imaginable way. Apparently, the PS3 is better than the Wii as well...and here I was thinking that the Wii was the coolest consumer electronics product out there. Darn!

Bear in mind that "[I, dirtmonkey,] don't make games for a living" so my best bet is to listen to the facts in this blog.

captive

dirtmonkey37 said:
Okay. Cool. I'm so glad I read this. It's good to know that the PS3 is better in almost every way compared to the 360 and the Wii.

I am going to sell my 360, because clearly, the PS3 is better in every imaginable way. Apparently, the PS3 is better than the Wii as well...and here I was thinking that the Wii was the coolest consumer electronics product out there. Darn!

Bear in mind that " don't make games for a living" so my best bet is to listen to the facts in this blog.

you're about 10 pages too late. Sorry.

Mrbob

Wow, this thread delivered.

Console war arguments aside, I'm extremely happy with what my PS3 offers right now, and the future gaming lineup for second half of 2007 -and beyond- is going to be fantastic. I just read the Uncharted GI preview and hot damn, the game concept sounds amazing.

Out of curiosity to those who don't currently own a PS3. Will you buy one when the price drops to $299.99 (let us say 60gb model for arguments sake), or do you actually not want one? There is a big difference between saying you don't want the system at all versus waiting for a price drop.

Eteric Rice

Mrbob said:
Wow, this thread delivered.

Console war arguments aside, I'm extremely happy with what my PS3 offers right now, and the future gaming lineup for second half of 2007 -and beyond- is going to be fantastic. I just read the Uncharted GI preview and hot damn, this is my new Crackdown methinks. ;)

Out of curiosity to those who don't currently own a PS3. Will you buy one when the price drops to $299.99 (let us say 60gb model for arguments sake), or do you actually not want one? There is a big difference between saying you don't want the system at all versus waiting for a price drop.

I'll wait for $199.99 most likely. Maybe a little lower, I dunno.

Mrbob said:

If I get an HDTV in the next year, I will probably buy it when it drops to $399 for the purpose of blu-ray.

If not, it depends greatly on if the system continues to have 3rd party exclusives. I'm not a huge fan of Sony's 1st party.

captive said:
before last week I didn't know the game was already that far in development, AC wasn't mentioned at all

CassidyIzABeast said:

So it's okay for PS3 owners to be excited about future games based on the pedigree of the developer (like Naughty Dog), but Too Human will suck even though Eternal Darkness was one of the best games of the last gen?

captive

dirtmonkey37 said:
Of what? Fanboys on the internet?
Just like in the DMC thread someone posted.

xbox fanboy before DMC announcement "meh it looks average"
xbox fanboy after "man that game looks ****ing awesome"

sony fanboy before DMC announcement "DMC is the shit!!!"
sony fanboy after "meh that game sucks"

Only in this case the game is AC.
Seriously i never see Ace Combat mentioned by "sony fanboys" in any argument about games before the announcement. But now, its every xbots wet dream and a "step in divirsity."
I owned an xbox and a PS2 last gen, i never gave two shits about Ace Combat.

P90

Mrbob said:

Depends on the games at that price. I think the Wii and 360 have brighter futures for games I am interested in.

To be honest, I haven't sat down and played a console game in a few months now. It has been all DS (playing GBA games with it as well).

2 things...

I think I'm already getting bird flu and I own a wii.

The PS2 outselling 360 is a cop out and is hurting SONY at the same time IMO.

Pretty much everything else is arguably true.

captive said:
Seriously i never see Ace Combat mentioned by "sony fanboys" in any argument about games before the announcement. But now, its every xbots wet dream and a "step in divirsity."
Did you see the latest screens of it? As well as the announced features and the aircraft that you will be able to fly?

That is why people are excited about it. Not because it MIGHT be exclusive to the 360.

Sonybots should be happy they're getting ANY 3rd party games as exclusives. There is no reason for MGS4, Tekken 6 and FFXIII to not be ported to the 360 besides moneyhats.

dirtmonkey37 said:

Bear in mind that "[I, dirtmonkey,] don't make games for a living" so my best bet is to listen to the facts in this blog.

Strawmen FTW!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Nostromo said:
I think this thread should be frozen and we all come back to discuss about it in 12 months.. :)

March PS3 sales confirmed 350k! Ok, that's not any more funny than when people kept dissing the 360 sales it's first year without any data to show how systems priced at that point should sell.

Serious question though, if the PS3 is still behind by ~9M 12 months from now, how do they recover. I don't see maintaining the gap this year and not closing it as being productive. The longer they stay behind, the more the general public's perception shifts. I think we can all agree if the PS3 was priced differently, sales would be MUCH different. I'm not the problem though, just because I poke fun, I contributed.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
captive said:
Of what? Fanboys on the internet?
Just like in the DMC thread someone posted.

xbox fanboy before DMC announcement "meh it looks average"
xbox fanboy after "man that game looks ****ing awesome"

sony fanboy before DMC announcement "DMC is the shit!!!"
sony fanboy after "meh that game sucks"

Your previous post was just asinine.

catpive said:

Don't assume too much and make a bold statement like that. Just because several people mentioned it in a post as being a solid 360 title that will "add to diversity" shouldn't lead to "LOL....I wonder how many xbox fans had even heard of the game..." That is ridiculous.

captive

dirtmonkey37 said:
Your previous post was just asinine.

Don't assume too much and make a bold statement like that. Just because several people mentioned it in a post as being a solid 360 title that will "add to diversity" doesn't mean that "LOL....I wonder how many xbox fans had even heard of the game..." That is ridiculous.
You missed the part where, almost no one, ever talked about Ace Combat, now all of a sudden its AAA system seller.

farnham

Banned
didnt Insomniac say that rumble was inefficient and the costs were way to high compared to the effect you get..

i think they did..

thats about how much credit i give them..

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
farnham said:
didnt Insomniac say that rumble was inefficient and the costs were way to high compared to the effect you get..

i think they did..

I hope they incorporate it into R&CF though. God, I don't even want to imagine a ratchet game without rumble!

karasu

farnham said:

i think they did..

What a ridiculous argument. Jesus christ.

So true. This entire gen has been 'LOL Namco sux!". Now they're suddenly an asset.

farnham

Banned
karasu said:
What a ridiculous argument. Jesus christ.
im just saying that you wont get any better comments out of them then what the Sony PR machine suggests them to say..

seriously.. i laughed last year when i heard about this from the resistance guy on 1up yours..

it really struck me hard.. :lol :lol :lol

KTallguy said:
Bioshock is on PC. I don't know what to make of it yet really, but it certainly looks nice.

Oblivion is indisputable superior on the PC. So how did the X360 sales come out?

Two different markets.

captive

farnham said:

i think they did..

No what Ted Price said on 1up yours podcast, was that rumble typically wasnt worth the effort for what you got for doing it.

captive

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Oblivion is indisputable superior on the PC. So how did the X360 sales come out?

Two different markets.
You're right it is two different markets. But he has a point, in that some of the best Xbox games have almost always come to PC.

farnham

Banned
captive said:
No what Ted Price said on 1up yours podcast, was that rumble typically wasnt worth the effort for what you got for doing it.
yeah thats the quote.. i found that insulting and funny at the same time..

Green Shinobi said:
So it's okay for PS3 owners to be excited about future games based on the pedigree of the developer (like Naughty Dog), but Too Human will suck even though Eternal Darkness was one of the best games of the last gen?
last time I saw the game in action was at E3 06 and it ran at a terrible framerate and it didn't look all that exciting. Who knows maybe things have changed since then, I just going by my last impression of the title.

Zifnab

PleoMax said:
Look Pc doesn't really come into play. Because the PC market has 0 effect on the 360.

False.

By this logic, if every single PS3 game went multiplatform to the Xbox 360, it would have 0 effect on the PS3. :lol

I can't believe there is 11 pages about a Sony-only developer talking about how wonderful the Sony PS3 is. Shocker.

Now, if he said he really preferred the 360 or Wii, but was forced by Sony to be a PS3 developer, THEN you have some news!!

I want to see 11 pages when Bungie talks about how awesome the Xbox 360 is.

snorggy

this is one guy's opinion.. he's not trying to pass this stuff off as fact... i dunno why some people take it so personally.

that being said, i think he's got some very valid points.

regarding the Xbox Live cost though, i'd like to chime in and say that it is a valid arguement... it's not a huge leap to imagine a day when the PSN will rival XBL in features and content... how will the price be justified then? Furthermore, as an extremely casual online gamer it's nice to not have to commit to a fee to go online and play on the rare occasion when the mood strikes me.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
StingerNLG said:
I can't believe there is 11 pages about a Sony-only developer talking about how wonderful the Sony PS3 is. Shocker.

Now, if he said he really preferred the 360 or Wii, but was forced by Sony to be a PS3 developer, THEN you have some news!!

I want to see 11 pages when Bungie talks about how awesome the Xbox 360 is.

Actually everytime a MS blogger/developer (crackdown dev I am looking at you) says anything about how bad the PS3 is and that they prefer a 360, it turns into a 20 page thread. Not only that, it happens much more often that PS3 peeps. Then you wonder where all the PS3 fud comes from.

yukoner

Green Shinobi said:
Banjo 3, Ace Combat 6, Too Human, Halo 3, Forza 2 = pretty diverse.

See how easy this is? Why do people think the 360's library = the Xbox's library? It's like talking to people who think the Detroit Tigers are still a joke of a team!

Forget Ace Combat.

Blue Dragon, Forza, C&C 3, Splinter Cell 5, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Banjo Kazooie, Assassin's Creed, Too Human, PGR4, GTA4 = Diversity.

Lair and Killzone? PLEASE. Lair I will give some benefit of the doubt to, even thiough it looks horrible at the moment(like TH), but Killzone? It's a **** B-level franchise, you guys are going to compare that to Halo, Mass Effect or Bioshock? On what planet?

Speevy

Banned
As long as the Xbox 360 keeps getting this industry's very best selling games, I don't see how this guy has a leg to stand on.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think this thread should be frozen and we all come back to discuss about it in 12 months..

Sony launches late 2007! no , this time we really mean it! No... seriously!

rumble is great for first person shooters and the tilt functions in resistance are nothing more than an afterthought

oh yeah this thread is the awesome-o

yukoner said:
Forget Ace Combat.

Blue Dragon, Forza, C&C 3, Splinter Cell 5, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Banjo Kazooie, Assassin's Creed, Too Human, PGR4, GTA4 = Diversity.

Lair and Killzone? PLEASE. Lair I will give some benefit of the doubt to, even thiough it looks horrible at the moment(like TH), but Killzone? It's a **** B-level franchise, you guys are going to compare that to Halo, Mass Effect or Bioshock? On what planet?
To be honest, Lair's recent builds look pretty good, and Factor 5 made some good airborne shooters in the past. Also, Killzone 2 has a huge budget, so maybe they're paying some decent level designers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yukoner said:
Forget Ace Combat.

You can make your case without insulting other games. However, see the bolded games? 4 of them will be on PS3 as well. The other one will be played much better on PC. And insulting Lair and Killzone while including Too Human and Banjo Kazooie is HILARIOUS.

Please stop with this. Anyone will ****ing half a brain knows both systems will have an awesomely diverse line up of games from 3rd and 1st parties. Both systems will counter the other in terms of genre, and the ultimate winners are gamers with both systems.

Top Bottom