• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

yukoner

Kintaro said:
You can make your case without insulting other games. However, see the bolded games? 4 of them will be on PS3 as well. The other one will be played much better on PC. And insulting Lair and Killzone while including Too Human and Banjo Kazooie is HILARIOUS.

Please stop with this. Anyone will ****ing half a brain knows both systems will have an awesomely diverse line up of games from 3rd and 1st parties. Both systems will counter the other in terms of genre, and the ultimate winners are gamers with both systems.

Splinter Cell 5, and C&C3 will not be on PS3 in 2007, Bioshock as of now is exlcusive. Only 2 of those games are on PS3, and I included them because they are both great games, that were potentially going to PS3 only at one point in time.

And like I said, I give Lair the benefit of the doubt, like TH, based on the developers pedigree.

Guerilla on the other hand, have never made a great game in their history, why would they start now?

And for the record, I agree 100% with your last paragraph. We win from this 1st/2nd party battle, and that's why competition rocks. However, the reality is, for 2007 that 360 has far more diversity.

Kintaro said:
You can make your case without insulting other games. However, see the bolded games? 4 of them will be on PS3 as well. The other one will be played much better on PC. And insulting Lair and Killzone while including Too Human and Banjo Kazooie is HILARIOUS.
Since when will Bioshock and Splinter Cell 5 be on PS3?

And why did you feel the need to lump Banjo Kazooie 3 in there as if the first two weren't genre-definingly awesome?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Green Shinobi said:
Since when will Bioshock and Splinter Cell 5 be on PS3?

SC5 will end up on PS3. It's Ubisoft FFS. Bioshock, I thought I read it would be ported sooner or later. If not, my bad. It hits PC anyways for anyone who wants to play it with much better controls anyways. =)

And why did you feel the need to lump Banjo Kazooie 3 in there as if the first two weren't genre-definingly awesome?

Cuz, uh, the last game came out over 7 years ago (not counting the GBA game). Not to mention Rare isn't exactly on a tear with the exception of Viva Pinata. But hey, cool. Throw it back in there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yukoner said:
Guerilla on the other hand, have never made a great game in their history, why would they start now?

Cuz if they don't, they're pretty ****ed after the huge hype over Killzone? =P Killzone: Liberation was pretty good IIRC. Then again, Guerilla has made, what THREE games total?

And for the record, I agree 100% with your last paragraph. We win from this 1st/2nd party battle, and that's why competition rocks. However, the reality is, for 2007 that 360 has far more diversity.

Pretty true. I'd sure hope so since it's 360's second year compared to PS3's first.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
AltogetherAndrews said:
As much truth as there may be to this, I really wish developers would just stay the hell clear of participating in the console power showdown "the word" crap.

Wow, i actually agree with you :) Devs should just let the games do the talking.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
360:

1. BK3
2. Too Human
3. Alan Wake
4. Blue Dragon
5. Forza2/PGR4
6. Cry-on
7. Halo 3
8. NG2
9. Mass Effect
10. Fable 2
11. Lost Odyssey
12. Trusty Bell
13. SC5/AC6/Bioshock (don't know if they'll remain "exclusive")

PS3:

1. Lair
2. Heavenly Sword
3. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
5. Killzone 2
6. God of War 3
7. Tekken 6
8. Little Big Planet
9. NGS
10. MGS4
11. FFXIII
12. White Knight Story
13. GT5

Both consoles have a commensurate number of exclusive, good games. Can't we all just get along?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
farnham said:
yeah thats the quote.. i found that insulting and funny at the same time..
Ted's statement is bang-on, if you bother to try to see things from his eyes as a developer. They spend more time getting it to work in their games than gamers do acknowledging it's even there - at least before the announcement that the PS3 controller wouldn't have rumble. Best thing to happen to rumble, that was.

You're more than welcome to show me the reviews from any of the R&C games that critiqued the quality of their rumble implementation. Start with RumbleGamers.com, perhaps.

Defuser said:
You actually believe Ubisoft words? :lol
To be honest, yeah, since Splinter Cell games haven't been THAT successful on the PS2. I don't think they'll bother porting it unless Double Agent, Vegas and GRAW 2 sell fairly well on the PS3.

Plus there's always the moneyhat possibility.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I like rumble and i'd argue the reason people don't really notice its there is because they are so used to it.

My experience with Resistance was that i noticed when it wasn't there.

Draft

kaching said:
Ted's statement is bang-on, if you bother to try to see things from his eyes as a developer.
No, it's not, and you'll see why when Sony releases a rumble capable SIXAXIS, and the first Insomniac game released after rumbles.

There is a lot of stuff in the OP that is true, or at least arguable. But anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tried to play rumble off as unnecessary or last-gen or whatever, is a shill. They were eating SONY PR and producing bullshit that apparently a LOT of you were more than willing to eat.

.dmc

Banned
Now… let me relate to you a story that may sound familiar:

Your friend Kaz invites you over for a Singstar Party. It’s awesome. You and your friends partake in whatever beverages are legally appropriate for your age group. The next day everyone who went to the party rushes out and buys a PStwo.

A week later Kaz hosts another Singstar Party. This time only half the group comes. It’s still fun, but there isn’t quite as much shoving to get at the microphone.

The next week Kaz hosts another Singstar Party. You tell him you have bird flu.

You could repeat that thrice more with Buzz, Guitar Hero or DDR. Thing is, Kaz might stop holding Singstar parties, but everyone has a ps2 at home now & they're going to jam on it for 20mins in their spare time every now & then, or they'll put it on when Kaz comes over and they're waiting for pizzas to arrive. When they get bored with Singstar they'll buy a few more games for it, be it Buzz/Guitar Hero or wide-appeal games like ProEvo Soccer or Need For Speed or R&C or whatever. There is really very little evidence that casual gamers throw away their consoles when they get bored of the first game they bought for it. Remember how all those girls were supposed to throw out their DS when they got bored of Nintendogs? Instead, they bought more copies of Hannah Montanna than the hardcore bought of any PSP game.

All Nintendo have to do to keep the hypetrain going is release games that have a similar appeal to Wii Sports. They're going to keep doing that. So are third parties. Smart third parties are going to release games that appeal to the hardcore who picked up a Wii for Zelda + Mario Galaxy. This whole 'fad' meme is going to be proved embarrassingly wrong in the end.

KINGMOKU

Wouldnt you know it? Now I have to go and add someone else to my avatar.

I wish these "professionals" would say stupid crap all in the same day :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
.dmc said:

Your friend Kaz invites you over for a Singstar Party. It’s awesome. You and your friends partake in whatever beverages are legally appropriate for your age group. The next day everyone who went to the party rushes out and buys a PStwo.

A week later Kaz hosts another Singstar Party. This time only half the group comes. It’s still fun, but there isn’t quite as much shoving to get at the microphone.

You could repeat that thrice more with Buzz, Guitar Hero or DDR. Thing is, Kaz might stop holding Singstar parties, but everyone has a ps2 at home now & they're going to jam on it for 20mins in their spare time every now & then, or they'll put it on when Kaz comes over and they're waiting for pizzas to arrive. When they get bored with Singstar they'll buy a few more games for it, be it Buzz/Guitar Hero or wide-appeal games like ProEvo Soccer or Need For Speed or R&C or whatever. There is really very little evidence that casual gamers throw away their consoles when they get bored of the first game they bought for it. Remember how all those girls were supposed to throw out their DS when they got bored of Nintendogs? Instead, they bought more copies of Hannah Montanna than the hardcore bought of any PSP game.

All Nintendo have to do to keep the hypetrain going is release games that have a similar appeal to Wii Sports. They're going to keep doing that. So are third parties. Smart third parties are going to release games that appeal to the hardcore who picked up a Wii for Zelda + Mario Galaxy. This whole 'fad' meme is going to be proved embarrassingly wrong in the end.
1/10

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, Home & Little Big Planet will make the PS3 win this generation... Forget about Final Fantasy 13 parts 1-10 or the next Gran Turismo. It's all about some niche game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Eteric Rice said:
I wish I had a 360. If anyone has an old one that they don't want, help a brotha' out. :p

I'll sell you my premium 360 for $350 (prey included) if you're interested.

back to topic

This thread is becoming a list war. Can't we all just relax and enjoy the comments of the Wii fans disclaiming Tickle Elmo/Wii comparisons.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Next you know it, they might just make a case for the PSPs imminent domination using the superior graphics, umd, media capabilities and console-like games arguments too!

At this point, all these arguments are perfectly legit, yet ultimately moot because they don't appear to make a difference in the market. We've all heard it a million times. It be much more interesting to investigate why the market reacted as it did.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
I like rumble and i'd argue the reason people don't really notice its there is because they are so used to it.
There's a lot of things we're used to in games, DC, and we still manage to acknowledge their existence and critique their implementation - visuals, audio, controls, etc.

Draft said:
No, it's not, and you'll see why when Sony releases a rumble capable SIXAXIS, and the first Insomniac game released after rumbles.
First part of your statement, you're calling Ted Price a liar, just so we're clear. He's the guy that knows how much effort they had to put into their games to make rumble work decently, make sure it was bug tested, etc. and he subsequently knows how much actual appreciative feedback gamers gave them for the inclusion.

Second part of the statement, well duh. Like I said before, now that it's not an option with the current PS3 controller suddenly everyone has discovered a unknown love. They'd be daft not to incorporate rumble in this climate. Now there's actual return on the investment of incorporating rumble.

DCharlie

There's a lot of things we're used to in games, DC

indeed - and i personally didn't enjoy not having rumble. I'm glad Sony has back tracked and, even better, we might get an evolution of rumble in the process.

I'm just baffled by the "oh rumble? it was a nothingness..." crowd.

Monk

Banned
elostyle said:
Next you know it, they might just make a case for the PSPs imminent domination using the superior graphics, umd, media capabilities and console-like games arguments too!

Dammit. I was going to mention this.

This "hey its popular now, but it is going to be irrelevant in the future" is a tad redundant. The wii is about getting non gamers to try out videogaming as a trojan of sorts to real videogaming. And he has yet to counter the argument that people may be resistant to playing videogames because of the complex controllers of today. The diversity of the medium of videogames should allow atleast SOMETHING that caters to a non gamers taste. Whether it be a game or not. The mere fact that people who never even touched a controller are playing wii games is a step in the right direction.

Draft

kaching said:
First part of your statement, you're calling Ted Price a liar, just so we're clear. He's the guy that knows how much effort they had to put into their games to make rumble work decently, make sure it was bug tested, etc. and he subsequently knows how much actual appreciative feedback gamers gave them for the inclusion.
Absolutely calling him a liar. He toed the company line, which every unbiased system warrior knew was complete bullshit. He shilled himself. Nothing to be proud of, that's for sure.

Petrarca

Banned
since when NG2 is exclusive to xbox, it's not even announced yet and by all the sign of NGS coming to PS3, looks like NG2 would be multi

dirtmonkey37 said:
360:

1. BK3
2. Too Human
3. Alan Wake
4. Blue Dragon
5. Forza2/PGR4
6. Cry-on
7. Halo 3
8. NG2
9. Mass Effect
10. Fable 2
11. Lost Odyssey
12. Trusty Bell
13. SC5/AC6/Bioshock (don't know if they'll remain "exclusive")

PS3:

1. Lair
2. Heavenly Sword
3. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
5. Killzone 2
6. God of War 3
7. Tekken 6
8. Little Big Planet
9. NGS
10. MGS4
11. FFXIII
12. White Knight Story
13. GT5

Both consoles have a commensurate number of exclusive, good games. Can't we all just get along?

DCharlie

He's the guy that knows how much effort they had to put into their games to make rumble work decently

are there any other companies complaining about the amount of effort to put in rumble?

I mean, this is the first time i've heard this complaint from a developer.

Draft

DCharlie said:
are there any other companies complaining about the amount of effort to put in rumble?

I mean, this is the first time i've heard this complaint from a developer.
I guess Ted Price was the first guy with big enough BALLS to stand up to the rumble-industrial complex.

TheProfessor said:
I'll sell you my premium 360 for $350 (prey included) if you're interested.

back to topic

This thread is becoming a list war. Can't we all just relax and enjoy the comments of the Wii fans disclaiming Tickle Elmo/Wii comparisons.
i don't see why Wii fans would discredit tickle me elmo comparisons, given that for ten years different versions of Tickle Me Elmo dolls have been top sellers at christmas.

why just last christmas Tickle Me Elmo was again one of the hottest toys of Christmas.

it's launch was met with sell outs at presale and at least one instance of someone with a gun trying to steal one.

personally it reads more like Tickle Me Elmo skeptics trying to down play Tickle Me Elmo's lasting success by trying to use it as an inappropriate comparison that infers that Tickle Me Elmo's success was short lived.

you aren't a Tickle Me Elmo hater are you Prof?

Eteric Rice

.dmc said:

9/10

Oh, and THAT'S why that Hannah Montanna game was on Gamestop's top 5 for like a got damned month? Everytime I went to their DS section, I'd see Hannah Montanna. It was freaking me the hell out...

speculawyer said:
But you don't need the 'starter pack' to subscribe. But if he thinks you need a headset, then he needs to add the $50 or so cost of a bluetooth headset.

USB headset works just fine on PS3.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
plagiarize said:
i don't see why Wii fans would discredit tickle me elmo comparisons, given that for ten years different versions of Tickle Me Elmo dolls have been top sellers at christmas.

why just last christmas Tickle Me Elmo was again one of the hottest toys of Christmas.

it's launch was met with sell outs at presale and at least one instance of someone with a gun trying to steal one.

personally it reads more like Tickle Me Elmo skeptics trying to down play Tickle Me Elmo's lasting success by trying to use it as an inappropriate comparison that infers that Tickle Me Elmo's success was short lived.

you aren't a Tickle Me Elmo hater are you Prof?

Not at the least. I love me some tickle me elmo.

:lol you're absolutely right.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Petrarca said:
since when NG2 is exclusive to xbox, it's not even announced yet and by all the sign of NGS coming to PS3, looks like NG2 would be multi

Jesus, you didn't get the point of that post did you?

Hilariously, GT5 hasn't been announced yet, and GoW3 hasn't been insinuated any more than NG2 has, yet you have no problem with those.... but this too is aside the point.

dirtmonkey37 said:

Hilariously, GT5 hasn't been announced yet, and GoW3 hasn't been insinuated any more than NG2 has, yet you have no problem with those.... but this too is aside the point.
GTHD was made a downloadable so they could work on GT5...

At least, that's what I read. But nevermind that, since it hasn't been announced, it must not exist, right?

J-Rzez

DCharlie said:
indeed - and i personally didn't enjoy not having rumble. I'm glad Sony has back tracked and, even better, we might get an evolution of rumble in the process.

Really... I was far more happy that I was able to use the controller to have an input on gameplay (shaking it to get a baddie off me or putting myself out when I was on fire) rather than something that's a generic end result of something on screen... Hit by rocket (rumble 1), shooting machine gun (rumble 1), exploding grenade (rumble 1), low health (rumble 2), ramming into wall (rumble 1)...

Plus I can also check out the map during a firefight by tilting it and not making my digits leave the important buttons needed...

All I care about is Force Feedback in racing games... Rumble can go the way of the dino's and I wouldn't shed a tear...

We can have both now? Great, one less thing on the menu of troll food...

h1nch

This just in:

Makers of Norton Antivirus list 10 reasons why Microsoft Windows is awesome! :lol

Although I take stuff like this with a grain of salt, I actually agree with many of his points

J-Rzez

dirtmonkey37 said:

Umm... the next GT was announced... and they were supposed to have a "Prologue" to it by the end of this year supposedly IIRC...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
I'm more baffled by the crowd that apparently loved the feature so much, they barely ever expressed it. Well, not baffled really.

I don't think he was actually complaining, he was just answering a question put to him in the podcast, explaining why it wasn't a big loss from their perspective. I don't see why that should be insulting to anyone, do you?

Draft said:
Absolutely calling him a liar. He toed the company line, which every unbiased system warrior knew was complete bullshit. He shilled himself. Nothing to be proud of, that's for sure.
Ok, then. Aren't you more of a PC gamer these days? You really finding it hard to believe a developer would consider the lack of rumble not a significant loss?

Top Bottom