• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introduction to MOBAs

Skab

Just played my first game of Dawngate. It's honestly better than I expected it to be. There is a lot I like about it, and it has some interesting ideas.

I just wish it wasn't trying so hard to be League. I'm pretty sure even the font is the same. It's like the developers wanted to make League again, but obviously couldn't do that so they changed up a few things.

Dawngate is pretty solid and gets shoved off too easily as a "lol clone" even though the map is very different and the items available are different as well. Its a little rough right now, I'll play it again when it launches.

Tabby

I haven't played Dawngate yet but I watched the video with the devs a while back about developing the game and it didn't seem like they were trying to copy lol at all.
It has some good ideas of it's own.

ViviOggi

I haven't played Dawngate yet but I watched the video with the devs a while back about developing the game and it didn't seem like they were trying to copy lol at all.
It has some good ideas of it's own.

The foundation from UI (both ingame and client design) over base teleport & summoner spells to the kit design (overabundance of gap closers, slows and spammy "skillshots", lack of real stuns) and monetization model is ripped straight from LoL. If they weren't trying to copy it at all they've failed tremendously.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't do some things differently, in fact it's a much more interesting game than LoL by virtue of its flexible role system alone and the devs seem like cool guys. I'd be playing it more if the grind wasn't an utter joke.

The foundation from UI (both ingame and client design) over base teleport & summoner spells to the kit design (overabundance of gap closers, slows and spammy "skillshots", lack of real stuns) and monetization model is ripped straight from LoL. If they weren't trying to copy it at all they've failed tremendously.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't do some things differently, in fact it's a much more interesting game than LoL by virtue of its flexible role system alone and the devs seem like cool guys. I'd be playing it more if the grind wasn't an utter joke.

Yea i agree that the grind is a bit too much. the only thing that is pretty cool regarding the money making is that you can get shapers/heroes/champions aftera game.

The person who designed the monetization system, designed LoL's one too.

It wasn't live last night, but it should be up tonight.

I should just make an account and friend some people on here so we don't have to get stuck with 8 year olds in matchmaking.

It's 3v3 though.

_hekk05

Banned
So someone in China killed his roommate with a fruit knife because he lost in LOL. Welp

Control your MOBA urges ladies and gentlemen, don't be a dick

Edwardo

I tried to play the Adventure Time game. I made an account, but it keeps saying failed to authenticate and then refreshes the page, but never works. So I gave up.

Sande

Are there any MOBAs that aren't about cramming in as many characters as possible? I'm really enjoying LoL but I'm not going to learn 119 unique champions by heart. And you kind of have to in order to be able to play as/against them properly.

Kalnos

Banned
Are there any MOBAs that aren't about cramming in as many characters as possible? I'm really enjoying LoL but I'm not going to learn 119 unique champions by heart. And you kind of have to in order to be able to play as/against them properly.

Heroes of the Storm. Probably the most casual you can get other than something like Awesomenauts.

That's part of the fun for some! It also plays a large part in why you can play them forever as there will always be so many interactions and strategies with that many characters.

Awesomenauts has very few characters I believe. Like less than 20.

Smite has around half of the normal hundred or so lol or dota has.

I would encourage you to keep playing and learning what characters will come fairly quick as long as you pay attention. That is if you're having fun.

Karakand

Strife doesn't have very many.

Saprol

Just play Magneto cat.

IskSly8.jpg

Tabby

I think Strife is for you.
One of the reasons why Strife is easy to get into is because it doesn't have that many champions so it's easier to learn.
But honestly any moba in beta will probably the fit the bill.

Dr. Buni

Awesomenauts has very few characters and believe, at the end of the day, that is not a good thing. Really wish the game had at least 50 or so characters.

sobaka770

Banned
New patch for Heroes of the Storm! Ui/hero changes + new hero: Murky the (baby) murloc. The game starts to resemble a proper Blizzard product(old ui was screaming placeholder).
They still need more heroes, a proper ranked play system and make some sense in their pricing model, but closed beta is probably just a couple of months away.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

While others are giving recommendations, I'm going to say that its less of a big deal than you think it is. Ever play Pokemon as a kid?

New patch for Heroes of the Storm! Ui/hero changes + new hero: Murky the (baby) murloc. The game starts to resemble a proper Blizzard product(old ui was screaming placeholder).
They still need more heroes, a proper ranked play system and make some sense in their pricing model, but closed beta is probably just a couple of months away.
Did they change the ability icons away from literally wc3 rips?

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/games/adventuretime/adventure-time-battle-party/index.html

So apparently even Cartoon Network is getting into the MOBA train using Adventure Time. Now, I've never played MOBAs before, but I gave this a shot and had a bit of fun. For a quick play type of thing, it works really well.

Though to be honest, I would've really preferred a general CN MOBA with classic characters as well. I'd main the hell out of Johnny Bravo and EE&E.

Tabby

So did you guys know Marvel is going to make a moba as well?
It's old news but I didn't just find out until now.
Set to be released in 2014 in Asia, it'll include not only Marvel characters but mythical and historical characters as well.
It's called Project Pentakill.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it bad that if no one picks anything by about 45 in ranked, I'll just random? Oh wow, my team wants mid and safe lane, but hasn't even hovered a hero, great help.

ViviOggi

Got a Nosgoth beta key today. Haven't played much, seems decent, but I almost had to puke when I found out that the perks, items and abilities, which seem reasonably priced, are actually time-limited and the permanent versions much more expensive. I don't know how quickly you gain gold yet but the existence of this purchase model alone totally rubs me the wrong way.

Top Bottom