• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introduction to MOBAs

krpiper

So I am a new league player but have taken to playing as Garen, as I find the melee-ish the easiest to play.

Who should I expand from there?

Also how many characters should someone be "really good" with and "okay" with, by the time they hit ranked play? (I am only level 11)

Edwardo

So I am a new league player but have taken to playing as Garen, as I find the melee-ish the easiest to play.

Who should I expand from there?

Also how many characters should someone be "really good" with and "okay" with, by the time they hit ranked play? (I am only level 11)

Give Malphite a try. He's tanky like Garen, but his ultimate makes him better in teamfights. Honestly, just keep trying the free champions out that look interesting to you. The more you play, the better your feel will be for who you like playing.

Generally, you'll want 3 or more champions that you can be comfortable with at each role. You can get away with less, but it's easier to have plenty of options in case you get countered or have to face a champion that can give you a rough time.

krpiper

Give Malphite a try. He's tanky like Garen, but his ultimate makes him better in teamfights. Honestly, just keep trying the free champions out that look interesting to you. The more you play, the better your feel will be for who you like playing.

Generally, you'll want 3 or more champions that you can be comfortable with at each role. You can get away with less, but it's easier to have plenty of options in case you get countered or have to face a champion that can give you a rough time.

I also have all the "cheap" champions as well if there is someone in there, also I think I was gifted Cho'Gath

inkls

How hard is it to launch a moba now? Apart from awesomenauts which fits its own niche I haven't seen much sucessful ones apart from dota 2 and lol.

shira

How hard is it to launch a moba now? Apart from awesomenauts which fits its own niche I haven't seen much sucessful ones apart from dota 2 and lol.

Isn't Gearbox launching a MOBA, but they want the media to call it a shooter as to not be lumped in with all the MOBA wannabees

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I really enjoy IC. I wish more people played it. At the same time I find it really hard to heavily invest in the game myself or recommend it to others because I hate, hate, HATE 1. the lol business model, and 2. rune/mod systems. I feel like both of those things break a MOBA, but I have been horribly, irreparably spoiled by Dota.

It's nice that Turbine is being a lot better about offering a wide variety of their champs for free but there's no value proposition there that will convince my Dota crew to play it with me. It continues to be a game that I just jump into occasionally for a few casual, solo queue Gotham Heights games. I'm still really afraid for the game. It has a tiny userbase and Turbine has been hit by layoffs in the past. They are putting a lot of work into making the game look and run well but I don't think "League with DC characters" is a strong enough sale for most MOBA players.

Tabby

Coincidentally around Dota 2's massive update, Infinite Crisis just had a huge update based on player feedback

http://www.infinitecrisis.com/en/news/september-update-release-notes

Main points are:

Graphics redone
Ui Redone
Animation rework to make things move smoother
Role changes/Character Changes
2 New Heroes

Yep. Really impressed by the update. I like how some of the community has been complaining about it being too responsive, personally I think it's fine.
Honestly I can't think of what hasn't been changed in the update.

I want to say really hard.
Even on Gaf as soon as a game is shown off for the first time I'll always see something along the lines of "Oh wow... another moba."

Depends on seven factors; developer pedigree, if you're building off an existing IP or several, and what unique hooks your game has.
I believe there's still room for new MOBAs out there but I think the "traditional" MOBA space is all taken up by the big two and the few smaller ones. Heroes of the Storm will definitely find its audience tho.

Finaika

I really enjoy IC. I wish more people played it. At the same time I find it really hard to heavily invest in the game myself or recommend it to others because I hate, hate, HATE 1. the lol business model, and 2. rune/mod systems. I feel like both of those things break a MOBA, but I have been horribly, irreparably spoiled by Dota.

What's wrong with the mod system?

inkls

Isn't Gearbox launching a MOBA, but they want the media to call it a shooter as to not be lumped in with all the MOBA wannabees

Yeah, but I'm not too confident about that. Even if the game's a success I don't know if gearbox understands the importance of post-launch support especially with these kind of games.

I want to say really hard.
Even on Gaf as soon as a game is shown off for the first time I'll always see something along the lines of "Oh wow... another moba."

Lets be honest though. We do that for everything. It just depends on what you think is overloading the market. You'll still see users complaining about too much fps' when a new one is announced regardless of how popular the genre is.

Depends on seven factors; developer pedigree, if you're building off an existing IP or several, and what unique hooks your game has.
I believe there's still room for new MOBAs out there but I think the "traditional" MOBA space is all taken up by the big two and the few smaller ones. Heroes of the Storm will definitely find its audience tho.

Not to certain about heroes of the storm. I think Strife fits the "casual" niche for this genre so I'd be expecting people who would be picking up HoTS to do it for the Blizzard characters but then I don't know how many would want to do so in a more casual setting (not sure that someone who plays starcraft would drop it for heroes sums it up).

And its not really that popular online either with 155 total viewers on twitch at the time of this post's writing.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What's wrong with the mod system?

With that particular one? Nothing. With mod systems in general? I feel like they add an undue level of grinding in order to make marginal adjustments to hero stats that punishes people that don't want to invest the time into exploiting them, yet aren't sufficiently rewarding enough for people that do.

I'm still downloading the IC & Dota 2 patch on my crappy DSL so I haven't had a chance to try out either games. IC still hasn't launched yet so it could get a sizable userbase, I'd think anything hovering above 1 million as a F2P game would be considered a success. They should try to do as many skin/promotional pack-ins as possible though, with Arkham Knight, Steam, Shadows of Mordor, whatever they can get their hands on as soon as they're satisfied with user feedback.

iamblades

Yeah, but I'm not too confident about that. Even if the game's a success I don't know if gearbox understands the importance of post-launch support especially with these kind of games.

Lets be honest though. We do that for everything. It just depends on what you think is overloading the market. You'll still see users complaining about too much fps' when a new one is announced regardless of how popular the genre is.

Not to certain about heroes of the storm. I think Strife fits the "casual" niche for this genre so I'd be expecting people who would be picking up HoTS to do it for the Blizzard characters but then I don't know how many would want to do so in a more casual setting (not sure that someone who plays starcraft would drop it for heroes sums it up).

And its not really that popular online either with 155 total viewers on twitch at the time of this post's writing.

This is true of basically ever developer these days though. Valve is basically the only dev with a track record of consistently supporting their games(for free) for the long term. Blizzard also used to qualify, but I'm not sure any more given how long it took them to fix D3 and how long it took them to adjust SC2 balance in the face of fairly substantial issues. I guess better late then never, so you can count them if you want.

Riot basically has to support LoL, as it's all they have.

Will a company other than Valve and Blizzard that has other projects going on be able to maintain focus on long term support even if they can't directly monetize it?

Back in the day I would have maybe trusted the old id software and maybe epic, but even then, supporting a moba long term is a completely different thing from supporting a shooter long term.

This is a similar thing that has kept me completely disinterested in Dawngate, because I know for a fact EA does not have the attention span to keep supporting a game long term.

Finaika

I'm still downloading the IC & Dota 2 patch on my crappy DSL so I haven't had a chance to try out either games. IC still hasn't launched yet so it could get a sizable userbase, I'd think anything hovering above 1 million as a F2P game would be considered a success. They should try to do as many skin/promotional pack-ins as possible though, with Arkham Knight, Steam, Shadows of Mordor, whatever they can get their hands on as soon as they're satisfied with user feedback.

I really hope IC will do well.

LiQuid!

I dunno, I kinda consider open beta as good as launched at this point. I'm not sure what can happen between now and them just deciding to call it a fully launched game that would significantly increase its userbase. I do see it marketed a lot (ads on Twitch, appearances at all the major gaming conventions, etc) yet the playerbase remains low and queue times remain high. They have implemented a ranked matchmaking system into the game with the new patch but they don't have the playerbase to support its activation. Same with the third map in the game, Coast City. It's only available in private match modes because they don't have the players to split into so many different matchmaking queues.

I really hope IC will do well.

It's grown to be pretty good throughout the beta, the alpha was mediocre but I mean that was alpha.

I dunno, I kinda consider open beta as good as launched at this point. I'm not sure what can happen between now and them just deciding to call it a fully launched game that would significantly increase its userbase. I do see it marketed a lot (ads on Twitch, appearances at all the major gaming conventions, etc) yet the playerbase remains low and queue times remain high. They have implemented a ranked matchmaking system into the game with the new patch but they don't have the playerbase to support its activation. Same with the third map in the game, Coast City. It's only available in private match modes because they don't have the players to split into so many different matchmaking queues.

Yeah I think with this latest patch this will be the launch version. The game looks so much better and responds well. They should push hard, it's unfortunate they don't have a DC movie to piggy back the hype onto. I'd suggest anyone who tried it in beta to comeback at launch, a lot of the big issues were addressed.

LiQuid!

Turbine taking some shit for the new, douchey SoCal Hal costume. I think this shit's hilarious.

http://kotaku.com/do-you-even-green-lantern-bro-no-1644040710

ElY3NnG.jpg

This is a similar thing that has kept me completely disinterested in Dawngate, because I know for a fact EA does not have the attention span to keep supporting a game long term.

Welp.

An important announcement about the future of Dawngate

Matt Bromberg said:
Today, I have the unenviable task of announcing that we’ve decided to stop development of Dawngate.

I know this is disappointing news for our community, which has been so supportive and loyal. To all of you who have graciously given us your time and valuable feedback during our beta period, we’d first like to thank you.

Whenever we begin a game project, we do so with great hopes and expectations. In this case, we chose to enter a new genre for EA in MOBA, one that we knew going in was extremely competitive. We built a game in Dawngate that wasn’t simply a clone of existing MOBAs, but one that truly pushed the genre forward in many ways. Dawngate has been in beta for almost 18 months, including a full open beta for the past six months. Through that time, we’ve taken a lot of feedback from players and delivered lots of new features and innovations. And although the game has grown, we’re not seeing the progress we’d hoped for. This isn’t the outcome we wanted, but beta testing is about learning and improving, and ultimately, about making difficult decisions about how to proceed.

As for the incredibly talented team of designers, producers, engineers, and artists who have put so much creative energy into Dawngate: The game was truly a labor of love, and it shows. We’ve got nothing but gratitude for their hard work, and pride about what’s been accomplished.

As a part of the process of closing down Dawngate, we’ll continue to operate the game for the next 90 days. All players will be entitled to a full refund of any money spent during the beta. For most players, we’ll process those refunds within the next 10 days. If we don’t have current payment information on file for you, we’ll need to reach out first before initiating the refund. If you have any questions, you can reach us at help.ea.com.

On behalf of the entire team at Waystone Games and EA, I want once again to thank all our players for being part of this journey. Your straight-up feedback and the friendly reception we received all over the world at events was extremely encouraging and important to us. We appreciate it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe it was for the best, I don't think Dawngate would have suddenly become popular if EA stuck with it, and the formula just didn't seem to hook people.

LiQuid!

It's easy to point a finger at EA but I think they were probably well justified in pulling the plug on this one. There are a LOT of MOBAs coming out and it's going to be a mad dash for table scraps for any of them that aren't LoL/Dota (and maybe Smite because that's doing its own thing). Dawngate honestly seemed like it was doing some neat things from a gameplay perspective, but the game didn't have much of a visual identity that set it apart from the big 2. Nothing about it catered to a particular niche, which is where I think there is even a possibility for B-tier MOBAs to thrive.

Top Bottom