• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: Do We Really Need an Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Absolutely.

3c1UQbD.jpg

I literally want it more than the last two installments in this new sequel trilogy. With the right talent behind it, it could be really something special.

Slayven

I mean, just because I like Miles doesn't mean I think Miles is needed. Given that argument, Peter isn't needed either. I just like having both around.

Again with a Bandit slander! DWAYNE4LYFE!

I was just questioning your taste, not that Miles was needed.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The bigger question is do they have a story worth telling which is often the biggest hurdles for prequels and one many never get over.

kunonabi

We don't but it would probably be better than the star wars movies were currently getting just off the strength of Ewan's performance alone.

norm9

The big question is do we need more Star Wars movies in general? Continuing the story for financial reasons is always bad.

You're not interested in the years Obi Wan lives by himself in a tattooine igloo and all the nonconsequential adventures he has during that time?

mlclmtckr

Banned
No. We don't need an Obiwan movie or a Han Solo movie or Rogue One or the parts of Force Awakens that were copy pasted from the original trilogy.

I want new stories in this universe. It's really disappointing that they're just reiterating the same stories over and over.

I think that while TFA was mostly really good Disney kind of learned the wrong lesson from the prequels. It's good to respect the source material but you can't just hew to it slavishly and lean so hard on callbacks and prequels.

Lmo911

I still want to see a prequel trilogy from Obi-Wan's perspective series of films, but I think it's too clever for it's own good.

I mean they don't have to be perfect allegories, but something that would ultimately lead to Obi Wan accepting his hermitage and fading off into the sunset at the end would be about the right speed for him I think.

border

I don't know if there's really any interesting Obi-Wan stories to tell in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. How he helped Yoda get to Dagobah? Him silently or secretly helping Lars and Beru raise Luke?

It's difficult to imagine what his arc as a character would really even be since they can't really alter the framework of previous films.

A Qui-Gonn/Obi-Wan film would be great, so long as we all agree to ignore that McGregor is way too old to play young Obi-Wan.

No, but that doesn't mean we can't have one either. I'd love to see a solo Obi-Wan showing what he was doing between episode 3 and 4.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know if there's really any interesting Obi-Wan stories to tell in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. How he helped Yoda get to Dagobah? Him silently or secretly helping Lars and Beru raise Luke?

It's difficult to imagine what his arc as a character would really even be since they can't really alter the framework of previous films.

A Qui-Gonn/Obi-Wan film would be great, so long as we all agree to ignore that McGregor is way too old to play young Obi-Wan.

No you see he left the planet to go on an adventure that no one else knew about and he never spoke of again after the fact.

UCBooties

I'd like to see one.

Obi-wan Kenobi has to leave Tatooine for One Last Job™.

You can go a bunch of different ways with that and I think it could be fun, plus I'd like to see Ewan McGregor return to the role. He did a good job with a bad hand and it'd be nice to see him in a better movie than the prequels.

Heck, there was rumor floating around that we'd see a Star Wars meets 7 Samurai mashup in the early days of the new movie announcements. Have Obi-wan fall in with a group of Jedi in hiding who reluctantly decided to help out a small space/station colony fend off pirates in the Outer Rim. Some live, some die, and the day is saved. Obi-wan mentors a young force sensitive and gains a measure of redemption for his failures to save Anikin but things are left ambiguous at the end of the movie about whether any of the survivors managed to evade the Jedi purges.

Or maybe Obi-wan matches wits against an Imperial Inquisitor who is trying to capture a lost Jedi Holocron.

I could see a lot of fun to be had in a stand alone Obi-wan movie. Of course it could be terrible too, but that's a risk with any movie.

I say bring em on.

No you see he left the planet to go on an adventure that no one else knew about and he never spoke of again after the fact.

Is this really so hard to imagine? 18 years is a long time and the Star Wars Galaxy is a huge place. You really don't think there's any room for an adventure in there?

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'd say find a major reason to get Kenobi off of Tatooine. There could be that concern of "What if something bad is happening to Luke?" omnipresent while he completes the task necessary to return there.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Not sure if you're sarcastic and not saying I'd necessarily want the Obi-Wan spin-off to be an off-world adventure as opposed to a relatively grounded Western set strictly on Tatooine...but even if Obi-Wan did leave the planet for one last adventure, who the fuck could he have told? The dude died like, two hours after we first meet him as an isolated hermit in Episode 4.

I think they need to get far far away from the og movies story/timeline and do their own thing but since all we're getting are retread and spinoffs Obi-Wan makes the most sense and is the most exciting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yes.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi in "For a Fistful of Credits," "For a Few Credits More," and "The Jedi, The Sith, and the Hutt." Based on the Man With No Name Trilogy.

Done.

Do this Disney, do this and make the best Star Wars trilogy ever.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think they need to get far far away from the og movies story/timeline and do their own thing but since all we're getting are retread and spinoffs Obi-Wan makes the most sense and is the most exciting.

We all know we're just going to get that fucking Boba Fett film that Lucasfilm seems to really think we want, and we're just going to have to grin and bare it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Do we need one? No. When you think about it, it's equally as superfluous as a Han Solo movie. But should they make one? Sure, why not?

UCBooties

We're all going to get that fucking Boba Fett film that Lucasfilm seems to really think we want, and we're just going to have to grin and bare it.

When I was a young SW fan I think an Boba Fett movie was something I might have really wanted.

Now, post-prequels, post-Clone Wars, post Karen Traviss mando-whatever fest...

Let's say the enthusiasm has lessened.

Not really but Disney is going to make Star Wars spinoff movies on old character and in that situation obi wan is one of the better choices.

Don't need any movies. The question is whether or not the idea is worthwhile, which remains to be seen. Star Wars doesn't have a good track record about explaining pasts.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Knowledgable Star Wars fans, what are the chances we might get something about Lucasfilm's plans for the 2020 spin-off at D23?

Big One

Banned
Eh I dunno I love the concept about it, but they already resolved the only loose plot thread Obi-wan had in Star Wars: Rebels.

The only thing left is seeing him train to attain the Force ghost ability, but does that really warrant a movie?

There could be some adventures for old Ben, but it'd be hard to believe he went on these adventures and no one figured out he as a famous war general from the Clone Wars, lol.

Top Bottom