• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: Do We Really Need an Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie?

I would much rather have a movie with new settings and new characters rather than someone we've seen in 4 of the 9 movies (obi wan and han). These characters got their story arcs. The studio should be focusing on expanding the Star Wars universe rather than keeping it smaller.

If people want to see some good obi wan stories, they should just go watch the clone wars.

It's 3 parts of a whole production.

Hobbit could of been a great trilogy if it had the same time as lotr put into it.

Good post - but was time really the issue? As someone who saw all three in theatres (dat LOTR nostalgia) the first came across as a great film, but two and three underwhelmed, and this was purely down to the structure. IMO you cut all three films together in to a single three hour film and you'd have something that rivals LOTR. They took a very short book and tried to pad it out in to a trilogy for financial reasons. As I remember Peter Jackson was pretty ardent he wanted to just produce a single film, which New Line meddled with and it eventually became two films, then three - all for financial reasons.

The Battle of the Five Armies would have been awesome as a third act of one film, but absolutely sucked as a standalone film.

Anyway - getting back on topic, an Obi Wan film could be fucking amazing IMO, with Ewan that is. When's this Star Wars event coming up and how likely will we see an announcement?

EDIT: Just Googled it. This weekend!

I'm surprised at how many people in here seem to want an Obi movie. I mean I wouldn't be opposed, particularly with Ewan playing him again, but there's plenty out there besides the same old.

I'm so ready for some non prequel (rogue one era) , non mainline characters to have their chance in a standalone movie. I loved rogue one and I loved FA but I really want to see some unknowns in either 10,000 years ago era or something along side the new trilogy.

It seems to me those two options offer the best chance at really exploring the star wars universe.

Van Bur3n

There are a lot of these spin-off and standalone ideas for Star Wars movies we don't need. But if you're going to bring Ewan McGregor back as Obi-Wan do it do it do it do it doti ditodiittjgt;gjetgjoegaegetheah

Monocle

Yes we do, shut up.

If they're doing a young Han Solo movie, they damn well better give us our standalone Obi-Wan movie.

Given McGregor's age—along with the fact that Disney seems to be shying away from any movies set around the prequel era...

They still haven't realised Lucasfilm are the ones that decide what films to make?

I maintain she is going to turn out to be Rey's mother.

Her most recent relationship in the comics was with a woman ya know.

Whilst I think it would be cool to see Ewan McGregor back in the role, it absolutely depends on the story. We already know where he comes from, and where he ends up, so doing another movie in-between doesn't really give themselves much room to develop the character. That being said, I do feel there is the potential for a story wherein Obi Wan essentially provides a large impact on other characters.

Luigiv

I'd say yes, just because Ewan McGregor deserves another shot to play the role now that Star Wars is in good hands again. Essentially the same as Hugh Jackman's justification fo doing Logan.

BigDes

They still haven't realised Lucasfilm are the ones that decide what films to make?

Her most recent relationship in the comics was with a woman ya know.

Oh, I didn't know that. I stopped reading her comic after the first issue when it became clear we were supposed to be rooting for a character that tortures people to death.

Oh, I didn't know that. I stopped reading her comic after the first issue when it became clear we were supposed to be rooting for a character that tortures people to death.

Everyone's got to have a hobby.

There was no chance a character introduced in the comics would have any role to play in the sequel trilogy anyway.

BigDes

Everyone's got to have a hobby.

There was no chance a character from the comics would have any role to play in the sequel trilogy anyway.

I dunno, I think Aphra still might end up mentioned in one of them.

They do seem to be pushing her quite hard in the comics.

I dunno, I think Aphra still might end up mentioned in one of them.

They do seem to be pushing her quite hard in the comics.

She was popular in Vader and Gillen was always keen to write a book with her as the main protagonist.

I doubt Rian Johnson or Colin Treverrow even know who she is. Plus revealing her fate 30+ years after Gillen's book would take his character's fate out of his hands.

She's a great character though and I'd love to see her turn up in something outside of the comics.

I like Ewan and I like his take on ObiWan so sure.

What I don't want is Obi doing shit in between Ep III and IV. I don't care what EU stuff says, he was in a cave on Tatooine for 18 years going slightly gaga and retconning everything in his life.

kmax

Do we need art form x?

If you don't like it, you are free to abstain from consuming it. Your needs do not apply to everyone else.

I like Ewan and I like his take on ObiWan so sure.

What I don't want is Obi doing shit in between Ep III and IV. I don't care what EU stuff says, he was in a cave on Tatooine for 18 years going slightly gaga and retconning everything in his life.

In the new canon he hasn't left Tatooine in that time...yet.

He did fight Maul again though.

TBiddy

I don't think many (if any) of the Star Wars characters are interesting enough to warrant their own movie.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I really want to see how Obi Won and that weird crusty fat alien from the 50s diner in Episode II know each other. Maybe you could do a little movie, digitally de-age Ewan McGregor to like 35, and show how these two met and what zany adventures they went on together?

Pepboy

I'd rather have a Princess Leia standalone movie.

She'd put Padme to shame.

This won't be done anytime in the next 7-10 years given Fisher's death. Even with a new actress there would be too many complaints about trampling on her legacy, etc.

Maybe as an animated film (they already made a Leia short) or with Fisher portrayed Tarkin CG style... But the tech isn't there yet for a feature long film focused on her.

CloudWolf

We don't "need" anything, but it would make for a far more interesting story than a Han Solo prequel.

The actual Star Wars spin-off film I want is never going to happen anyway. I would love to ee a completely different film within the Star Wars universe, a serious drama or something set on Coruscant or some other planet during the Imperial rule, before the Emperor dismantled the Senate. Preferably not about some big conflict like Rebels/Jedi vs. Empire/Sith, but just a story about ordinary people, like how not every Battlestar Galactica episode was about Humans vs. Cylons. But that would demand Disney/Lucasfilm stepping outside of their comfort zone and delivering something that will no doubt piss off some hardcore fans, so they will never do it.

Qasiel

Unpopular opinion, but:

No, we don't. Obi-Wan sucks and it'd just be a film about a Jedi doing Jedi stuff which we've had time and time again.

Give me a compelling Empire movie instead.

I really dislike when people claim we don't need a "film" cause reasons. Shit is not b coming out of your wallet and no one is forcing you to pay or spend time watching it.

You know you would kill for a Lando heist movie in the vein of ocean's 11, but with aliens
But we need this.

CloudWolf

Give me a compelling Empire movie instead.

I feel like this would also be pretty interesting. Who is really working for the Empire? Why would someone join up as a Stormtrooper? What's the training process like? We know that there is an Imperial academy, because that's where Luke wanted to go before he came across Obi-Wan, so what's it like there? Kind of like Full Metal Jacket in space.

border

I guess a good premise could be Obi-Wan travelling the galaxy, helping the remaining Jedi escape the empire and slide into hiding.

If only the prequels had established a single Jedi that audiences would want to see saved....

MechaX

We don't need it, sure.

But I sure as fuck wanted a McGregor Obi movie way more than Rogue One or this Han Soli movie

MisterHero

No, he hid out in the desert in the Outer Rim territory for 19 years. He can't use the Force because it would expose him to Vader or other Jedi hunters. He also has to watch over Luke, who also doesn't go anywhere for 19 years

Ewan is a great Obi-Wan but his character is tied up

Famassu

We haven't need anything past Return but that hasn't stopped Hollywood. Keep pumping them out and cause brand fatigue.
These "fatigue" posts are always so silly. Just because you aren't interested doesn't mean other people aren't. If what is done continues being above certain quality, people will turn up. A movie per 1-2 years isn't going to make people tire of something so long as people aren't driven away by shitty quality, especially considering a big portion of the movie going audience isn't following these things religiously or even going to see all movies in any given franchise.

overcast

More interesting conceptually than Rogue One and definitely Han Solo.

But I would prefer the universe expands in ways we haven't seen with the next side story.

Top Bottom