• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: Do We Really Need an Obi-Wan Kenobi Standalone Movie?

Cuburt

What they should really do is have Rogue One be more of the blueprint for the bulk of these spin-off films; have some recognizable names and places and periods, but show us a new perspective of the universe. Show us the story of a faction we don't know or barely know. It's the perfect opportunity to jump into introducing the Old Republic to the broader audience or reintroducing Legends characters that were fan favorites. Even something like a live action Star Wars Rebels film can put the characters of that show firmly into the film canon in a way that opens up new possibilities for the films.

Expanding the universe is the approach Kevin Feige over at Marvel Studios has been doing and it's paid off great by tapping into that untapped source material. Kathleen Kennedy needs to do more expanding rather than rehashing the greatest hits. At the very least, they should be alternating between a Rogue One and a Han Solo and then back to a more risky film like Rogue One again. Their gamble already paid off once, I don't know why they wouldn't use what they learned to make Star Wars an expansive cinematic universe rather than doubling back on what they've already done, while leaving all the side stories to just the aggressive multimedia push in comics, games, novels, etc..

Boney

Banned
I really don't want yearly movies.

I wouldn't have minded if Rogue One would've been a TV show. For some reason I have less apathy to TV. But I'm barely interested in more Star Wars even if I enjoyed TFA quite a bit.

Xe4

Banned
I don't need anything. I would probably like an Obi-Wan spin off more than either one focused on Solo or Fett.

Similar to how I would like a Star Warms movie not focused on anyone from the trilogies. I don't need it, but it would be a nice change of pace.

Yarbskoo

Absolutely.

3c1UQbD.jpg

I literally want it more than the last two installments in this new sequel trilogy. With the right talent behind it, it could be really something special.

I'd watch it. Obi-Wan is pretty much the best prequel-era Jedi.

Big One

Banned
What they should really do is have Rogue One be more of the blueprint for the bulk of these spin-off films; have some recognizable names and places and periods, but show us a new perspective of the universe. Show us the story of a faction we don't know or barely know. It's the perfect opportunity to jump into introducing the Old Republic to the broader audience or reintroducing Legends characters that were fan favorites. Even something like a live action Star Wars Rebels film can put the characters of that show firmly into the film canon in a way that opens up new possibilities for the films.

Expanding the universe is the approach Kevin Feige over at Marvel Studios has been doing and it's paid off great by tapping into that untapped source material. Kathleen Kennedy needs to do more expanding rather than rehashing the greatest hits. At the very least, they should be alternating between a Rogue One and a Han Solo and then back to a more risky film like Rogue One again. Their gamble already paid off once, I don't know why they wouldn't use what they learned to make Star Wars an expansive cinematic universe rather than doubling back on what they've already done, while leaving all the side stories to just the aggressive multimedia push in comics, games, novels, etc..
Knights of the Old Republic is really the next big movie for Star Wars imo. I could see it doing better than The Force Awakens in the box office since it'd be the first time we see a huge Jedi vs. Sith war on the big screen.

TheMan

I mean if we're just handing out solo films, why not?

Exactly. We don't need any of these movies cause they're just entertainment. But if we're going to make movies anyway, might as well go with something interesting, and the Jedi/sith are by FAR the most interesting characters in Star Wars.

Raptor

We don't need any of the films.

We don't need another trilogy. We don't need a Han Solo or Obi-Wan film. We never needed the first or prequel trilogies.

We don't need any particular film. It's entertainment.

Any film they do, they do because they can and they want to entertain people. Period. Would an Obi-Wan film potentially be entertaining? Sure. A Han Solo one as well.

/thread.

:p

McGregor was great in the role but never got a chance to really shine in those shitty prequel movies. Give him his own outing and let him do the role justice. It's more deserving than a Han Solo movie.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't know what the inspiration for an Obi-Wan movie is. Rogue One tells a story in a corner we don't often get to see, with new characters. Han Solo, as much of a trashfire it might be right now, can tell a story about a young criminal's upbringing.

What story does Obi-Wan have to tell? "And then Obi-Wan continued to sit by some rocks, watching Luke from a distance... and this is most of what he did for like almost 20 years."

I don't know what the inspiration for an Obi-Wan movie is. Rogue One tells a story in a corner we don't often get to see, with new characters. Han Solo, as much of a trashfire it might be right now, can tell a story about a young criminal's upbringing.

What story does Obi-Wan have to tell? "And then Obi-Wan continued to sit by some rocks, watching Luke from a distance... and this is most of what he did for like almost 20 years."

There's a ton of cool stories from the Clone Wars involving General Kenobi. Could make a really cool film. There's tons of content to work from. That being said, I'd much rather have and Old Republic film, but as far as Disney is concerned it's dead and buried.

If Han Solo got one, the best part of the prequels should too. At least with Obi Wan, they're using the original actor.

If the Solo film isn't a heist film, they've made a huge mistake. I just need to say that at least once every time it's brought up.

Hex

Banned
Do we really need any of it if they want to go all existential about it.
I believe we do need an Obi Wan movie, because he just vanished without a trace.
And while Tattooine is a pretty out in BFE planet, it was still a Hutt world so shit went down and there is alot of room for interest.

A Leia movie, while yes everyone has the heart fuzzies about Leia right now would be rather boring. There is nothing to lead us to believe she led some covert life of adventure.
We know where she was raised, who raised her and can pretty much track that ascension right up to where we met her.

The problem with the Solo film is that we already have young Han in Starlord.
They will either try and rip it off and fail, or try to not and get it wrong

norm9

Remember one of those random background aliens from the cantina in Mos Eisley that got two seconds of screen time? He's now a major player in this movie. Easter egg for the hard cores.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There's a ton of cool stories from the Clone Wars involving General Kenobi. Could make a really cool film. There's tons of content to work from. That being said, I'd much rather have and Old Republic film, but as far as Disney is concerned it's dead and buried.
Ewan will be almost 15 years older than his last scene as Obi-Wan. There is no universe in which Disney chooses to make an Obi-Wan movie at any time other than in-between ROTS and ANH with the rise of the Empire.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd love a Star Wars standalone movie that wasn't essentially a prequel for once.

Like, can we just get a movie that is set in the Star Wars universe and just tells a real standalone story that is about original characters and not "here's how this thing you already heard about happened" or "here's how they spent their time before they did stuff in the main trilogy?"

Does that make sense? Just like, no characters from any of the other movies, no tie-in to a specific event previously mentioned. Just a Star Wars story.

Timeaisis

We don't need it, but I sure as hell want it. Ewan McGregor is fantastic, and it would be a shame if all his was ever in was a mostly disappointing prequel trilogy.

I'd love a Star Wars standalone movie that wasn't essentially a prequel for once.

Like, can we just get a movie that is set in the Star Wars universe and just tells a real standalone story that is about original characters and not "here's how this thing you already heard about happened" or "here's how they spent their time before they did stuff in the main trilogy?"

Does that make sense? Just like, no characters from any of the other movies, no tie-in to a specific event previously mentioned. Just a Star Wars story.

Wait you mean this massive universe doesn't have to focus on the same few decades events and families? What the heck

yYN7Hri.jpg

D i Z

Don't need it. Would probably watch it. I'd rather see some new characters, unrelated to previous event titles and non Jedi stories.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We don't need any of these films, we didn't even need Empire. As long as they are good films I don't care.

I mean, yeah of course. I'll watch any Star Wars movie. I watched all the prequels in theatres so I've withstood some pretty bad Star Wars movies, as have we all.

It's a movie. Of the popcorn variety.

We don't need it more than we need any other. I see no reason for Disney not to spend money making one though, if they think there's enough interest. Worst case scenario another shit film came out and I didn't go see it.

It's like people asking if we need whatever crappy movie remade.

No. Of course we don't.

We didn't need the original movie either.

People get upset about stuff like this to an order of magnitude that I have to put effort into empathizing with. You're upset that Disney are making some movie?

Say that its shit. So what? They can just make another movie later and contradict it and it'll get tossed out of canon.

Ewan McGregor was good as Obi Wan Kenobi. I'd love to see him what that role could be with a great script.

Aesthet1c

I'm not totally sold that a stand alone Obi-Wan movie is going to be amazing, but I love Ewan McGregor and I'd like to see him play a Ben Kenobi that has an actual decent script to go off of. I think he could do far more with the character than what we have seen so far.

Can you imagine if these production line film design assholes had Lord of the Rings?

Lord of the Rings: The Adventures of Pip and Merry

Gollum & Samewise : MiddleEarths Investigators.

Fuck off with star wars and superhero drek already.

Anung

Un Rama
Ewen managed to be the best thing with everything going against him so I'd love to see him get a chance to have his own film with good material.

vern

Not a huge Star Wars fan so maybe I'm off base here, but I think there should be a tatooine cantina movie directed by Quentin Tarantino.

border

Can you imagine if these production line film design assholes had Lord of the Rings?

Lord of the Rings: The Adventures of Pip and Merry

Gollum & Samewise : MiddleEarths Investigators.

LOLOL

We't get ridiculous stuff like:

Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

They would write it so he does something interesting. Obviously. I mean, what kind of complaint is that?

Do you really think Disney is thinking "Man, we'd love to have an Obi-Wan story, it's just that nothing interesting happens in that span of time, even though we have complete creative control of that."

Top Bottom